Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Keef...tailights fade and there ain't a dry eye in the house....
Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: June 16, 2007 11:50

I haven't seen a show since Licks in Nashville 2002. I'm just going on all these reports and weighing this to that, etc. Heck, I don't know. None of us know what's going on backstage or in the hotel rooms, how Keith's feeling, eating, what he's drinking, popping, smoking, whatever. He's Keith. I can't even wrap my brain around the notion that he'd hit the stage 100% Steven Tyler sober.

Look at those knuckles. It's gotta be killing him. I read on this board (or one of them) at the start of ABB that Keith was getting anti-inflammatory injections directly into his hands before going onstage. I can't back that up but I wouldn't doubt it.

If he's tired, he's earned it. But I'll tell ya'll this in my best Tennessee twang. Keith's obit has been on file in ever news agency in the world since 1973. Hell, I fully believe Mick Taylor thought he was leaving a sinking ship in '74, gettin' out while the gettin' was good. For those of you who lived through the seventies, it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE then that Keith wouldn't live to see his 35'th birthday. Everybody KNEW it, for a fact, like it was already marked on the calendar and doomed to happen.

He never died. He still hasn't. I'm not predicting he's going to make some major turnaround and come out in Paris suddenly thirty years younger, with his big Ampeg rig back and him ripping on the rhythm constantly like he used to. It ain't gonna happen. If you listen to ABB carefully, it's Mick holding the rhythm, Keith dropping in with accents, easier stuff to play with fingers in as much pain as Keith's gotta be. Holding down rhtyhm on a whole Stones song, like he used to do, would be agoninzingly painful for Keith now. I don't expect it. Nobody should.

I just love the man, and I send him prayers and good wishes. And as far as his obit. Don't write it yet. This man has come back from the knife edge so many times he's practically, well, ... Keith Richards.

God bless him.

Tommy W

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 16, 2007 12:07

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [img.photobucket.com]
> uppe/xin_5204040409124653198910.jpg
> "I snorted my father". grinning smiley
> [www.chinadaily.com.cn]
> 5204040409124653198910.jpg

Great pic!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 16, 2007 13:56

The thing is that ever since the Licks tour I have read that the guitars suck. Then I went to a concert and was totally overwhelmed by how good they actually are.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2007 14:17

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> The thing is that ever since the Licks tour I have
> read that the guitars suck. Then I went to a
> concert and was totally overwhelmed by how good
> they actually are.

Kent, how many drinks did you have before the concert?

- Doxa

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 16, 2007 14:19

i don´t think he was at the concert. you can not have so many drinks to like the frankfurt appearance of keith and the stones, and to not reallize something very very serious is wrong.

Date: June 16, 2007 14:31

Doxa Wrote:
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The thing is that ever since the Licks tour I
> have
> > read that the guitars suck. Then I went to a
> > concert and was totally overwhelmed by how good
> > they actually are.
>
>
> Kent, how many drinks did you have before the
> concert?
>
> - Doxa

None. And that kind of makes me think that the people bashing The Stones did have a few too many drinks. I don't wanna be drunk at a concert because I can't take it all in then.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 16, 2007 14:35

jumpingkentflash to try to deny that there is something very wrong at the moment really is senseless.
this is not the propably "normal" bashing that happened before, this is something new as we have a new and very sad situation now.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 16, 2007 14:59

I wasn't there but wasn't he was supposed to have been in very good form at the IOW a few days before?? It does sound like he was pretty messed up in Frankfurt but it doesn't mean he will be for the next gig, look I wasn't at either so I can't really judge but it just sounds a bit premature to write him off now. I think he can get it together. not just because I have tickets for the second O2 show it is because have read these kind of reviews in past tours and he has always managed to recover.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 16, 2007 15:05

Ket Wrote:
> I wasn't there but wasn't he was supposed to have
> been in very good form at the IOW a few days
> before??

I wouldn't go as far as "very good". Not bad is a bit more like it - certainly a shadow of his former self, the ancient art of weaving looking a bit threadbare, too much pointing when he should've been playing, etc.

Date: June 16, 2007 15:11

stoneswashed77 Wrote:
> jumpingkentflash to try to deny that there is
> something very wrong at the moment really is
> senseless.
> this is not the propably "normal" bashing that
> happened before, this is something new as we have
> a new and very sad situation now.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! That was a good one. "This is not the "normal" bashing". ROTFLMAO. That is exactly what it is. As I said when Keith fell out of the tree: "This is certainly a good chance for the people who wants to bash Keith for not playing properly". Then they did the first concert in Milan. I heard everything from "Keith was the one that was off to the frickin' inevitable "Keith can't play anymore. Time to stop. It's All Over Now. SAD, SAD, SAD" (And I REALLY can't stand those posts). Then I heard some from a bootleg of the concert and guess what: It was great. A few months later I saw the concert in Horsens. Great once again. I simply stopped listening to bashers. To me they've been proved wrong every time I've seen the Stones.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Bob05 ()
Date: June 16, 2007 15:28

Very interesting thread - if it wasn't so totally sad!

Like some here have already stated, to see the decline of the man who has given us some of the outstanding moments, hours and feelings of our lives by handling his guitars, is very hard to accompany. Since the days of Satisfaction in 1965 I have been a fan of the Stones - not so very much of Jagger but certainly of Keith and his riffs, who has brought the world such simple but genious highlights like the StartMeUp intro and various others.

Also it's amazing that many people on this board in the past few years just didn't want to know about critical remarks by other board members about the Stones' playing - those who dared criticize quickly became the losers.

To me, there has been a clear development towards the negative during the last years, especially since some of the 2003 shows. As for Keith personally,the reasons for his not or bad playing can only be speculative. I share Turd's and some others' feelings about Keith and I simply couldn't imagine the rest of my life without the RollStones. But hence Keith's state obviously is like it is we'd better get used to this idea.
Let us se what happens in Paris. If it's going on like in Frankfurt and Werchter there will be no future for the boys and they should pack it in before parts of their audiences and the media send them home - this I fear even more. Seeing Keith in this state hurts me more than not seeing him on stage at all.

Date: June 16, 2007 15:44

jumpinkjackkent we will see us in BRNO.

i hope you are right, but seriously i really think this time this is a new situation and not bashing.

i can honestly say i would never ever bash keith.

Date: June 16, 2007 15:47

stoneswashed77 Wrote:
> jumpinkjackkent we will see us in BRNO.

Hopefully. If we can't find each other in that big mass o' people.

> i hope you are right, but seriously i really think
> this time this is a new situation and not
> bashing.

I don't. It's the same to me as last year. Back then people also stated that it was a "real concern" how Keith was. And he was on fire.

> i can honestly say i would never ever bash keith.

I believe that

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 16, 2007 16:07

Turd, thanks for the photos and the thoughtful message.

I attended a show last year in the USA and left feeling exactly like what you wrote.

This might work and it might not but I have suggested it or thought about it for a couple of years.

If your going ahead and bringing Blondie out on stage (he's no longer hidden) why not bring someone onstage who can really do the job? This is not a knock against Blondie's guitar skills but there are other guitarists out there who are more than adequate that would jump at the chance to play and tour with the Stones.

Recent shows I have seen over the last couple of years have had plenty of "Roll" just not enough "Rock" and that begins and ends with the guitars.

To continue to tour live and still be relevant the Stones need to address the situation with the guitar lineup.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 16, 2007 16:14

My Post above is not intended as being directed just at Keith. My experience the last couple of years is that Keith was carrying the guitar sound. I saw Ronnie at some Fall 2002 shows and he was on fire but the last couple of years some of the shows I have seen or heard boots of Ronnie was just almost non-existent. Exception being some outstanding shows from Japan and overall the latter part of the ABB tour. I think a lot had to do with the dependency issue.

If the reports of Keith are anywhere near being accurate of the recent European shows - then the Stones - their sound - and live performances are in trouble. Because keith for the last couple of years has been carrying the guitar sound in the band.

Date: June 16, 2007 16:34

i think it is true that blondie doesn´t play the important parts he just plays backing.
which makes me think the stones haven´t yet started trying to replace ronnie or keith. and also i don´t think keith would agree that someone different plays his parts.

i also think ronnie could play a little more, not only lead guitar, but contribute to the songs. these days it would be very neccessary, but i had the impression he was not confident himself and could not really take that part.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 16, 2007 17:30

soundcheck Wrote:
>
> _________ relax drew,, no need to panic, its all
> planned, put in place,,,,
>
> ... he's gonna be shot out of a cannon from the
> 'B' stage, when ya least
>
> expect it....

So THAT's why it's called the Bigger Bang Tour....

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: June 16, 2007 19:44

It's called the Big Bang because, as Bill Wyman quotes someone in his book, they always wanted to go out with a bang.

In counterpoint to a lot of the discussion here, I have to admit I felt like writing them off, and said so here, after the Anaheim concert in Nov 2005. It was a terrible show.... Come Nov. 2006, at Dodger Stadium, and they completely redeem themselves, in my eyes anyway. So, anything could still happen. I am hoping for the best for the European fans, anyway. Then, I expect them to call it quits (although perhaps not publicly). Keith always said they'd know when the wheels would start falling off, and it looks like, from what I've been reading, that they probably are.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 16, 2007 20:06

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> The thing is that ever since the Licks tour I have
> read that the guitars suck. Then I went to a
> concert and was totally overwhelmed by how good
> they actually are.

no pun intended, but is it possible that you get quite easily "overwhelmed" ???

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: June 16, 2007 20:18

bigbang Wrote:
> In counterpoint to a lot of the discussion here, I
> have to admit I felt like writing them off, and
> said so here, after the Anaheim concert in Nov
> 2005. It was a terrible show.... Come Nov. 2006,
> at Dodger Stadium, and they completely redeem
> themselves, in my eyes anyway. So, anything could
> still happen.

That's been my experience as well. I saw 6 shows since 2005. Two were very good (Moncton, Foxboro), three were okay (Fenway, Albany, Milano), and one was pretty bad (Boston Garden). At this stage in their career , it's to be expected that their performance would fluctuate quite a bit. Not only are they older and in some cases plagued by a bunch of substance-abuse problems; the setlists also change around a lot more than they did in the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s. These days, when I buy a ticket to see the Stones I know I am guaranteed a great show from Mick and a potentially great musical performance if Keith and Ronnie are up for it. But I am also fully aware that there is the distict possibility that the guitarists may be too wasted or distracted to play at acceptable standards. You have got to take the good with the bad. Personally, I am more than happy to fork out the money for a few shows a year - even though I am conscious that I may not get what I want. But again, to romanticize this whole issue with talk of taillights fading and wet eyes, to patronize Keith by imagining yourself putting your arm around him and saving him from embarassment, or to clog this board with garbage ranging from making up medical problems to talking about Chuck, Bernard, and Darryl laughing behind our boys' back is frankly pretty pathetic and small-minded. You might have seen some bad shows. Too bad - I am sorry your money got flushed down the toilet. But it strikes me as absurd that you would rationalize it by calling into question the motives or the mental health of any band member - or by inferring that since you have seen a bum show they should quit because they are no longer capable of putting on a good one. I didn't hear anybody complain about insanity, senility, or ineptitude after the AUstin show - which if I am not mistaken took place only a few months ago.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 16, 2007 20:57

Why does rock n roll have to be dissected, analyzed and interfered with? I feel no need to procrastinate or pontificate. Music is the key of life. Enjoy.

Posted by: clausICGN ()
Date: June 16, 2007 21:07

Yeah, music is to be enjoyed!!! Especially the Stones!!!
2 questions:
1) Has the Bigger Bang DVD been released officially? And, in Europe?
2) Does anybody know how to get info in English about tickets in Belgrade, Montenegro, etc / the former eastern rep., . I consider going, but it´s a bit hard languagewise...

Concerning Keith, I was really shocked by the YouTube video - should never have been shown!!! Probably he was drunk as well in Frankfurt, like on the video - well, tough to get old with these wicked habits that 30 years ago ensured you eternal (nearly!!!) stardom!!?

Posted by: vedran ()
Date: June 16, 2007 23:39

They are available trough Eventim system... Try www.eventim.hr

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 16, 2007 23:46

Ive been on vacation so havent been on line much keeping up w/ the stones. Just saw the youtube clips of PIB and brown sugar. I Hope first and foremost that Keith is doing OK and also I hope he can get it together for the rest of the tour.

Date: June 17, 2007 12:00

bigbang Wrote:
> It's called the Big Bang because, as Bill Wyman
> quotes someone in his book, they always wanted to
> go out with a bang.

Hmm. Judging from your name, you're about to leave then?

alimente Wrote:
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> -----
> > The thing is that ever since the Licks tour I
> have
> > read that the guitars suck. Then I went to a
> > concert and was totally overwhelmed by how good
> > they actually are.
>
>
> no pun intended, but is it possible that you get
> quite easily "overwhelmed" ???

Not at all. I'm quite hard to impress if I have to say so myself. Unless you're a hot girl....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: June 18, 2007 19:46

Well, Turd and myself shared our impressions one day after the concert, and I totally agree with him!
I'm sure that Keith can play whole concert, but he has to concentrate himself very hard, harder than the other band members. But he isn't able to play a whole tour!
I was in the 12th row on Keith's side and what I've seen was a very poor performance. Of course, Keith loves this band, and every tune they did in their entire career and he also wanna play all that stuff, but he isn't able to do it anymore.
I hope we'll see better performances for the second half of the tour, but I can't imagine that.
It was posted here before that Mick is now the one who carry on the Stones project and that's simply true. In the same way Keith looses his energy, Mick's getting stronger and stronger. His performance was on a very high professional level-really the greatest frontman on earth.
Also Ronnie did a quiet good job, and if he is stable, they should bring him lounder into the mix....

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 18, 2007 21:19

The current picture of Keith on this site's homepage really tells its own story.

I think 5-7 days between shows would have been fairer to him (and the fans) this summer.

I did wonder, when the tour details were announced so late, if there was not a concern about his abilty to sustain a full ('normal') tour schedule. Why, under normal circumstances, would they delay a tour announcement - and the chance to maximise ticket sales? I can't see another good reason (other than Ronnie's health!) - since most venues would have been booked about six months in advance.

We'll have a clearer idea of the Keith 'verdict' by September.

Date: June 18, 2007 21:22

yes and i really wonder that this picture is on the front page of this site.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: June 18, 2007 21:50

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> bigbang Wrote:
> -----
> > It's called the Big Bang because, as Bill Wyman
> > quotes someone in his book, they always wanted
> to
> > go out with a bang.
>
>
> Hmm. Judging from your name, you're about to leave
> then?
>
>
Nope. My wheels are in good shape, thank you. smiling smiley

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: June 18, 2007 21:57

Hey.....Keith played some good stuff in Paris!!!

OK he's not as strong as in his youth, but the band know this and are pulling together, which makes for some strong moments...well I thought it did in SDF. Whatever you think about his current powers, only he can move a rhythm in that manner.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home