Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: Nijmegen set lists and reports
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:26

sparks72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes I get impression if this board is
> visited by people not into the Stones, they could
> get an impression this is I hate the RS board or
> something.

This board is visited by people who have been fan for over 20 years, went to 40+ shows and who owned hundreds of bootlegs.

These people also are not afraid to speak their mind, and it is possible to be a huge fan and criticise the same time.

Mathijs

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> The old receipe of laughing it off is well-known.
> Maybe it's the best one as well. It's only
> rock'n'roll smiling smiley

yep, the band seems to use that tactic as well!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Posted by: andy js ()

having just watched the Happy clip on youtube i have to say its worse than i expected

but not as bad as BTMMR from MSG in on the licks tour

time to call it a day

Date: June 10, 2007 13:30

<time to call it a day>

When you listen to IORR from Nijmegen you understand why they are still doing this smiling smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:32

The version of Happy has a bad intro yes. It happens to the best of them. It gets great though. Kick-ass actually. Keith looks cool too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:37

retired_dog, as you see my post was about setlists and you did answer about everything...

I don't like ticket prices, i have said that one milion times. I like A LOT their performances and have explained the reasons. I appreciate what they offer us today. Maybe you have different opinion, no problem. But all these subjects are refering to other talks, not setliests.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:37

Mathijs Wrote:
> This board is visited by people who have been fan
> for over 20 years, went to 40+ shows and who owned
> hundreds of bootlegs.
>
> These people also are not afraid to speak their
> mind, and it is possible to be a huge fan and
> criticise the same time.
>
> Mathijs

Freedom of speech is also to know when to shut up!

You are obviously not happy about the state of the Stones - well, say your piece and be done with it. I don't really believe they will get any better just because you start thread after moaning thread. And I also do believe the rest of this board have sort of gotten your drift. Either that or they are dead!

This incessant nagging is getting on my tit!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:48

The show was messy, Mick and Charlie were great, Keith got some good levels, but most of the time he wasn`t around , and Ronnie is searching all the time, it`s look like he is surging for Keith.
It was my first time i saw a show in the beginning of a tour, at least beginning of a 6 months break, but the quallity wasn`t good to be honest, but i had a great time.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:50

stickydion Wrote:
> retired_dog, as you see my post was about setlists
> and you did answer about everything...
>

Well, ok. I just felt the need to dig a bit deeper, as I have mentioned that from my own experiences with other fans things are connected...complaining about Jumping Jack Flash is just the surface....I cannot recall anybody complaining about them playing Jumping Jack Flash ten years ago...but then, you and BV are right, this quickly leads us off-topic!

Speaking of Nijmegen, I personally enjoyed the show. Sang along with Sweet Virginia, and was pleasantly surprised that indeed there were so many setlist changes compared to Werchter. So there is no point to complain about the warhorse homerun in the second half of the show. After all, it's not a club show!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: June 10, 2007 13:54

I was standing by guys from around 20 years or so, and they ask for the warhorses, it`s just a part of the show, and personaly, i don`t mind, they need to be around. Always great to hear them, they are one of the reasons why i like this band.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 10, 2007 14:07

mofur Wrote:
> Mathijs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This board is visited by people who have been
> fan
> > for over 20 years, went to 40+ shows and who
> owned
> > hundreds of bootlegs.
> >
> > These people also are not afraid to speak their
> > mind, and it is possible to be a huge fan and
> > criticise the same time.
> >
> > Mathijs
>
> Freedom of speech is also to know when to shut up!
>
>
> You are obviously not happy about the state of the
> Stones - well, say your piece and be done with it.
> I don't really believe they will get any better
> just because you start thread after moaning
> thread. And I also do believe the rest of this
> board have sort of gotten your drift. Either that
> or they are dead!
>
> This incessant nagging is getting on my tit!

Before telling other to shut their mouse here you better
switch to another thread!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2007 18:37

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> The version of Happy has a bad intro yes. It
> happens to the best of them. It gets great though.
> Kick-ass actually. Keith looks cool too.

I'll reserve judgement on how hes playing until I see him in two weeks or hear a show the whole way through instead of in snippets, but personally I think he 'looks' terrible unfortunately. Even compared to last year.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: June 10, 2007 22:09

Finally, back in Basel and some time to put some pics on the net...

[sjouke66.googlepages.com]

Have fun,

sjouke

Re: The Stones Were Hot! (on a cold Nijmegen night!) my review . . . .
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 11, 2007 11:47

the singer not the bong Wrote:

> my head said no, but my gut said yes!

That wraps it up prefectly for me, the Stones in the 00's!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Nijmegen review: It was raining... Mistakes.
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 10, 2007 22:25

A bit late but i didn't have the time to post my review of the Nijmegen show yesterday.

It all started out great. I arrived with a friend of mine at the location arounf five o'clock. We were the gates were already open a very long time so we just had a look at the FOS area and to my surprise we could still get in. We immediatly got our green wristband and went out to get drinks and something to eat.
First up was the Lousiana Blues Club. This a band by a Dutch guy who sings in dialect and he formed a great blues band of people from Louisiana. We were lying in the grass enjoying some good music and the sun. After it was finished we entered the FOS area again and then, as you've already read, the rain came. And when i say rain i mean an increbeble amount of rain. I think we were the only two people around who didn't have raincoats or poncho on so we were soaking from top to bottom. Van Morrison came on and got a really great welcome. Unfortunately he stopped hafway the fourth number.
The rain was really terrible and i think a lot of people left because it was just a bit to much. But, as always, i was really up for it and nothing could break my spirit. It was the first stones concert of my friend and she also was really excitied. At nine o'clock we got what we were waiting for, or did we...

Start Me Up - They started with SMU again. Although of course not really a challenging start but is simply a great tune to start the concert with. Ronnie did a great Ronnie style solo and i thought if he is up for it then it is going to be a great show.

You Got Me Rocking - A logical choice because this song always works great in Holland with the "Hey, Hey" but i hoped because they play this song so often here we would get another one. Keith mist his que for his solo completely. He played some licks and then returned to the main riff far to early. Ronnie went over to Chuck to ask what was going on and Mick didn't look like he new what Keith was doing. Not a very inspiring version...

Rough Justice - Great version IMO. Nice solo by Keith. Did he play a solo on this song before?

All Down The Line - Never heard this one before live so i was very pleased to hear this one. It was a bit ragged but i liked it a lot

She Was Hot - I was hoping for this one and i was very pleased to hear Jagger announcing it. Unfortunately this was by far not there greatest version. Jagger had no idea were the song was going. He was looking at Chuck and Ronnie to get some idea what part was next. The end was very strange because i think the rest of the band also got lost on this one.

Sweet Virginia - A big surprise for me, didn't expect to hear it. Great song. The intro wasn't played by Mick, Ronnie or Keith so it must have been Blondie but i couldn't see him anywhere. Like all the other songs they didn't played it with much enthousiasm. When the song was finished Jagger got the crowd to sing a long for a extra verse which was great.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Because the first six songs weren't performed that great and didn't really get the crowd going i feared this song would be a bit to slow and the crowd would loose concentration. Not a bad version at all but like the other songs it was missing the extra spark because to me it was looking like they weren't really up for this show. Ronnie did a nice solo. He really looked very sharp all night. Good to see him like that.

I'll Go Crazy - Jagger said they would do this song because James Brown inspired them a lot. Great song and like all the other covers they have done the last tour i liked there version a lot.

Tumbling Dice - Nice opening after I'll go Crazy with the lyrics "People think i'm cary". Because everybody was soking wet it took a long time for everyone to get into the groove of the concert but of course this song did just that.

--- Introductions - Jagger really rushed through the introductions. It looked like he thought people were really cold because of the rain and he would get this show over with.

I Wanna Hold You (Keith) - Keith mumbled a lot when he got his introductions and really didn't look that good. He looked a lot older then last year. He face was a lot older, his arms looked terrible and he had a big belly. But hey, the man is in his sixties so it is not that strange. Were just spoiled all thos years i think. I'm just happy he is still alive and thankfull to see him on stage playing. But what got me worried a bit was that he had no idea what the lyrics were, his singing was for Keith standard terrible and his guitar playing was nothing like the '98 versions. It looked like he aged like twenty years since last year. It was very painfull to watch.

Happy (Keith) - I was surprised he did two rockers instead of the normal slow one. He played the intro the band kicked in and he just stopped playing. It looked like he had no idea what he should do. Very strange because he played this song so many times. By far the worst verion of Happy i have heard and i think he ever played. He didn't know the lyrics he didn't know what to play and he looked so slow onstage. Again not a inspiring version.

It's Only Rock'n Roll (to B-stage) - By this time i just hoped this would be over because not one song was played well and it was a bit embarresing to see them struggle so much after all those years. But, as always with the stones they can surpise you when you least expect it. Keith started IORR and his lean mean licks and the man was ON FIRE. Unbelievable!!!! He was terrible all show and all of a sudden he had woken up and was playing only he can! I was smiling from ear to ear.

It's All Over Now (B-stage) - Never heard before live and i liked it a lot. Jaggers mike didn't work so the crowd, at least the FOS area was singing the first couple lines of the song at such a volume that my friend didn't even noticed Jaggers mike wasn't working.

Satisfaction (B-stage) - Not there best version but as always a great crowd pleaser

Honky Tonk Women (to main stage) - Great sing a long back to main stage. Horrible solo by Keith but nobody noticed or couldn't care less because they saw there favorite band perform one of there best songs

Sympathy For The Devil - Always a great song with the visual effects again not a good solo by Keith.

Paint It Black - This a number one hit in Holland in the early nineties because of a tv show so everybody really likes this song.

Brown Sugar - Great crowd pleaser.

Jumping Jack Flash (encore) - He might had a big off night but the man is still the coolest guitar player in the world. It was still dark but Keith walked to the front of the stage and just sood there smiling at the crowd who screamed at him. It must be awesome to generate such a reaction by just standing there without even a spotlight on him. After half aminute or so he kicked in JJF and we got a great encore.

So in conclusion, this wasn't a good show at all because of a lot of factors like the wheater and what not. But even though i was really dissapointed to see them, especially Keith, struggle so much a stones show is always better then no stones show and i realised that when it was time for the finals bows. First the whole group took a bow and i clapped rather politely and then just the four of them. A guy next to me said "Look at that, just the four of them. what a awesome sight" and i got goosebumps all over because i was looking at my four heros who were standing just ten meters away from me. After all those years they are still rocking it out all over the world and no other band does it like the stones. A good show or not a good show it's still better then any other show and i'm looking forward to the Paris and Barcelona concerts!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-10 22:44 by Wuudy.

Re: Nijmegen review: It was raining... Mistakes.
Posted by: NongSung ()
Date: June 10, 2007 22:34

Unfortunately you are right...
Was not a good show, a bit embarrasing...

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: June 10, 2007 22:36

Very good review, Woody.

So it was !

Grüsse

Gerhard

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()

"not a good show, a bit embarrasing"

Is that really what Wuudy writes??

Posted by: austrianstones ()

Wuudy Wrote:
and i got goosebumps all over
> because i was looking at my four heros who were
> standing just ten meters away from me. After all
> those years they are still rocking it out all over
> the world and no other band does it like the
> stones. A good show or no good show it's still
> better then any other show and i'm looking forward
> to the ........... concerts!!!!

every start of a show tears in my eyes and in my mind, that all will gone some time..

keep on rockin

robert from austria

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: June 10, 2007 23:17

Great review, Wuudy. Though I liked the whole show, you are absolutely right. They were lost so many times. But then: Keith was really on fire on IORR - suddenly he was awake.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 10, 2007 23:30

"A good show or not a good show it's still better then any other show and i'm looking forward to the Paris and Barcelona concerts!!!!"

Absolutely right, Wuudy. We are talking about the standards of the Stones, here.

Date: June 10, 2007 23:53

Nice review Wuudy, see you in Paris!

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: June 11, 2007 01:24

Yeah, it´s the Stones then again. Even with hundred mistakes in one song they rock away all the rest.

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: June 11, 2007 06:11

stickydion Wrote:
> "A good show or not a good show it's still better
> then any other show and i'm looking forward to the
> Paris and Barcelona concerts!!!!"
>
> Absolutely right, Wuudy. We are talking about the
> standards of the Stones, here.

if the band's standards are dropping then shouldn't their ticket prices also drop ?

doubt it...

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:08

Hai All,

I arrived with my friends at 14h00 CET and we managed to get to B-Stage on the left side.

Although it was my 8th stones concert, I was still happy to be there.
The rain was bad, but to my opinion didn't spoil the evening. In fact, I was under the impression that it gave a certain dimension to the evening.

As I am a big Keith fan, I was a little bit shocked, how the man is acting today. I agree that the stones are the stones, but he was way off. Some people said "He's just so stoned, that he doesn't know what he's playing".

I dissagree with this. I am almost certain (I've seen it in my own family), that the 'tree incident' has something to do with it. That he was stoned or slightly drunk was also visible but Keith is Keith, I don't think he's always sober entering the arena.

B-Stage was great. Ronnie was on fire and Mick and Charlie are holding the gang together. Keith on the other side?

Looking at the man from so close, I came to the conclusion that he had a strong resemblance with a local rocker in the Netherlands (Herman Brood). Herman was in his last days a corpulent man, who was really from the planet and died in a suicide attempt.

Don't get me wrong, the evening was great, festival fevers, but I regret to see Keith going back to dope city like this.

Just listened to the Biggest bang audio rips, listening to these and comparing them with the setlist of last friday, I must say that a lot has changed in just one year.

Head, Heart and Balls forever Keith!

Urban Wheel

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: Cat ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:24

maybe it was (partly?) due to the weather,
but compared to Werchter, Nijmegen was simply awful
lame crowd, uninspired setlist, bad sound
heaps of junk everywhere and the parking situation was a mess on top of it
I could've done without this show

One positive thing: She Was Hot was a first for me

Posted by: robnab ()
Date: June 11, 2007 12:16

I had a blast in Nijmegen. the best show of 13 i've seen!

I must admit that I was stoned and drunk. But I'm still smiling about the show today (monday)!

And I do remember a lot!

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: June 11, 2007 12:36

"lame crowd, uninspired setlist, bad sound
heaps of junk everywhere and the parking situation was a mess on top of it"

come on, this was not an uninspired setlist, with All down the line, She was hot, Sweet Virginia (!) and Can't You Hear Me Knocking... further teh James Brown cover, It's all Over Now... I think the setlist was cool.
The sound was not super, I must admit, not as crystal clear as last year in Dübendorf for example.
What do you expect after torrential rains? A nice clean and sober field, of course it was a mess afterwards on the pitch...
The parking was a bit messy... if 40,000 people leave at the same time you can't expect quiet traffic. We needed about half an hour, just to get off the parking, but once on the highway it was okay.

Sjouke

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 11, 2007 12:47

I hear some havent been on my home-team's hockey games, speakin' of parkin' disasters... And thats repeated several times a week thruout the winter...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 13, 2007 14:18

>> the gates were already open a very long time so we just had a look at the FOS area
and to my surprise we could still get in. <<

so am i picturing this right: there were no FOS tickets, but there was a separate FOS area
and the wristbands that allowed entry to it were at the FOS entry points, not at the main entrance?
(at Werchter they were given out at the main entrance, and i'm curious about how it's set up at different venues.)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home