Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Still no concert list for this summer, how come?
Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: February 3, 2007 17:59

20 shows might even be pushing it!

OLDKR

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 3, 2007 18:31

I would assume more than 20 shows according to the level of booking activity I do see now in Europe.

Yes. It is February. And even if it does not look like summer if I look out my door righ now, with some massive snow everywhere, for sure summer will appear in just a few months time. I will wear my T-shirts, just like I did last summer, and I will see the Stones, just like I did last summer.

Bjornulf

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 3, 2007 18:52

Is it unusual that there is no Dutch show rumoured till this date, does it surprise someone over here? Or is it just a matter of time and a 'certainty' that a dutch show will eventually come up?

Jelle

Date: February 3, 2007 19:06

Why on earth should they visit The Netherlands? Excuse me, but they played The Netherlands last summer! Everybody who live in the Netherlands could buy a ticket to those shows. This tour the summer of 2007 is mainly to visit those places they had to cancel, where they could not go, plus may be a few other lucky places like London, the home town - more or less - of these guys.

PS. Don't get me wrong. I love The Netherlands. I love each and every canal, wind mill, Afsluitdijk, A.dam, R.dam, Leiden, Groningen, Enchede, den Hague, and I know the fans in the Netherlands are among the most loyal fans in the world, as compared to the population, but Europe is large, very large. Still I do hope they will be able to visit the Netherlands of course, but there are s many other countries and cities in Europe, you know, that did not get the chance to have any Stones visit at all.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: February 3, 2007 19:17

Aaa...meen..

Posted by: slybri74 ()
Date: February 3, 2007 19:40

When will the U.S. dates be announced?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 3, 2007 19:42

slybri74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When will the U.S. dates be announced?

In 2008 probably.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 3, 2007 21:47

slybri74 wrote:
"When will the U.S. dates be announced?"

The U.S. don`t deserve any more dates.

Date: February 3, 2007 21:48

Yes. US 2008. But first Europe.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 3, 2007 21:54

bv Wrote:
> Yes. US 2008. But first Europe.

bv, do you really believe the Stones will back to the States in 08?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 3, 2007 21:58

noughties Wrote:
>
> The U.S. don`t deserve any more dates.

Considering the USA is where they made most of their money with the fewest expenses (net profit) your statement is a reach.

But I know where you are coming from as far as tour cities are concerned. It is much easier to tour the USA than anywhere else. Many more cities with multiple venues and no travel restrictions.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 3, 2007 22:23

opening night was yesterday in Vorst Nationaal, Brussels. Nice show

Date: February 3, 2007 22:28

oldkr Wrote:
> 20 shows might even be pushing it!

How many are you expecting?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 4, 2007 02:22

noughties Wrote:
> slybri74 wrote:
> "When will the U.S. dates be announced?"
>
> The U.S. don`t deserve any more dates.

A bit extreme to say they dont 'deserve' any more shows, but as theyve had two-thirds of the shows on this tour to date and about 20 more shows than theyve had on any previous world tour, I think there are a few other markets who have been shortchanged to date and who should be given priority.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 4, 2007 02:54

Gazza Wrote:
> noughties Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > slybri74 wrote:
> > "When will the U.S. dates be announced?"
> >
> > The U.S. don`t deserve any more dates.
>
>
> A bit extreme to say they dont 'deserve' any more
> shows, but as theyve had two-thirds of the shows
> on this tour to date and about 20 more shows than
> theyve had on any previous world tour, I think
> there are a few other markets who have been
> shortchanged to date and who should be given
> priority.

You got to go where your bread is buttered. Whether we "deserve" any more dates is not the point. There is a reason they tour the U.S. more than anywhere else. This is the No.1 market for them. They know they have limited time left for touring. They will want to promote the DVD as well as a possible live (or studio)album. If they do an indoor arena tour it will be well supported. Plus they can get away with charging higher ticket prices over here.

Date: February 4, 2007 03:18

They will want to promote a new album?? Why - they spent 80 shows there pretty much avoiding the last one!

Of course its their number one market, but to demand/expect them to play that one to the virtual exclusion of anywhere else is a bit selfish and smacks of a bit of self-interest - no?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 4, 2007 03:25

Gazza Wrote:
> They will want to promote a new album?? Why - they
> spent 80 shows there pretty much avoiding the last
> one!
>
> Of course its their number one market, but to
> demand/expect them to play that one to the virtual
> exclusion of anywhere else is a bit selfish and
> smacks of a bit of self-interest - no?

Here we go again. Just by showing up,they no doubt generate interest,translated,album sales. Whether or not they actually paly any of the material. Plus early on in the tour they were playing about 4 new songs a night.

Next. I am NOT demanding anything. Self-interest. Sure,I would love to see the Stones in the U.S. again. Hell,if I could swing it I would LOVE to see the Stones in Europe. But in the end Gazza. You tell me. Over the years,how many American tours have their been and how many European tours have their been?

Date: February 4, 2007 03:34

I'm not saying YOU are 'demanding' anything - I was referring to fans in general.

They basically gave up promoting ABB by around the end of 2005. Through most of 2006 they were playing less songs per show and rarely adding 'new' songs. Even their Superbowl appearance failed to generate ANY upturn in sales. If the biggest TV audience of the year cant do the trick, nothing will. I think they prety much realised/accepted it around then. By the fall tour, some shows had just one ABB song (the Beacon shows didnt have any, but then again that wasnt a tour date as such). You could make the same "just by showing up" argument for ANY market, lets face it. Bottom line is that 80 shows v 19 shows is a bit of a discrepancy - and it isnt solely to do with money - half of the Euro tour was cancelled after all.

Not sure what your point is about American and European tour numbers. Generally they play both markets on each tour (although they would have played more European dates prior to 1969). Generally they play slightly more shows in North America, although I think on the Licks tour, Europe got a couple more. That said, there are now more places to play to make up a European tour. Twenty years ago, artists only played Western Europe. Its significantly different now with the potential target audience being more than doubled.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 4, 2007 03:49

Thanks for the reaction bv, I asked the question (its just a question) to get an answer, because I just don't know why they would visit the Netherlands. The obvious reason would be: because they've always done.

To be honest, I would never ask The Stones why they visit the netherlands. Don't wake any sleeping dogs you know, becuase maybe they wonder that themselves. I just would like to know if it unusual or not.
Curiosity, trying to prepare myself as good as possible. Something like that.

Jelle

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: February 4, 2007 21:02

bv Wrote:
> I would assume more than 20 shows according to the
> level of booking activity I do see now in Europe.
>
> Yes. It is February. And even if it does not look
> like summer if I look out my door righ now, with
> some massive snow everywhere, for sure summer will
> appear in just a few months time. I will wear my
> T-shirts, just like I did last summer, and I will
> see the Stones, just like I did last summer.

I agree. It looks like pretty much more than 20 shows. You have already listed 14 cities on the rumours 2007 page, but we could add easily more if I understood correctly: negotiations with Karlsruhe (GER), Munich - Olympiahalle, Augsburg (?), Dusseldorf, Arnhem (NL), Gothenburg, Bristol (UK, but this possibility seems off) were already rumoured - with more or less intensity.

Considering that less than four more shows in Germany (I think it will be four or five: Dresden - the only place in Germany where they can still sell around 70.000 tix without waiting another three years -, Erfurt, Karlsruhe or Munich, Dusseldorf, Bremen or Hamburg) or two more in Netherlands (seven stadium shows in 1998/99!!, four stadium shows in 2003), no show in Madrid, no show in Norway, no show in Czech Republic and/or Hungary, only London in the UK, only Paris in France etc. are pretty unlikely, there will be for sure at least something like 30 shows!

Arnhem will probably not happen if they make Dusseldorf, they will most likely only play eighter Munich, Augsburg OR Karlsruhe, but there will be not just 20 shows. A rumour says early August (I think 3rd) for Brussels. If they start in early June and play 20 shows, they would finish in mid July!

Also consider that they seem to come up with a new concept/ stage for that tour - that would make no sense if they only plan a few shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-04 21:09 by beast of burgk.

Date: February 4, 2007 21:13

beast of burgk Wrote:
> If they start in early June and play 20 shows, they would finish in mid July!

No they wouldn't.
Look at the tour schedule for Europe 2006, and the Fall tour of North America.
Max 3 shows a week. A week off after four weeks of shows.
If they start in the beginning of June and play 20-25 shows, the tour will last into the first or second week of August.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 5, 2007 15:15

For the Stones, it is pretty strange the closeness of the impending announcement to the anticipated start period of the tour.

We were discussing this at the Rollin' Stoned gig (FANTASTIC!!!)on Saturday night just past.

It does not allow much time for promoters and other service facilitators from earning much interest on advanced ticket sales....

SD

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: February 5, 2007 17:07

The only reason for the Stones to come back to the Netherlands which fits in this 'making up the shows we've lost' tour, is because one of the two was cancelled/postponed. BUT as there were only a handful 1000 tickets sold (i.e. 5000), while the first one wasn't sold out, I'd be very surprised if they'd try the ArenA again. I would be quite pleased with another Dutch show, but frankly I don't think we deserve another ArenA. A medium sized vernue, like gelredome in Arnhem, Galgewaard in Utrecht or even Groningen or Heerenveen stadiums would be more of interest. Then again, this would not fit the profile.

I think it's time that we visit our Belgian friend this time, and German friend, but let's not forget our Spanish friends or Nordic friend or..... grinning smiley

Cheers

P

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: February 5, 2007 17:22

ey, as long Ryanair and others fly Holland you shouldn't worry too much.
In 2006 for example it was / would have been cheaper (and more interesting) for me to take a cheap flight to Barcelona and a cheaper Spanish FOS ticket than to buy an expensive German train ticket for Hannover / Berlin and an expensive German FOS ticket. So I#d be glad if they play rather more Spanish shows this time than German ones.

Date: February 5, 2007 19:38

Stoneswolf Wrote:
> ey, as long Ryanair and others fly Holland you
> shouldn't worry too much.
> In 2006 for example it was / would have been
> cheaper (and more interesting) for me to take a
> cheap flight to Barcelona and a cheaper Spanish
> FOS ticket than to buy an expensive German train
> ticket for Hannover / Berlin and an expensive
> German FOS ticket. So I#d be glad if they play
> rather more Spanish shows this time than German
> ones.

Agree, but if we can't start booking flights now, they will be expensive too. Even Ryanair, Vueling,....

Date: February 5, 2007 19:43

Except for August to & from the south of Europe (Italy, Spain), travel in Europe during the summer is very cheap. No worries, and no need to worry about bookings early at all. Do it last minute. One or two weeks before the shows will happen.

Bjornulf

Date: February 5, 2007 20:05

no way bv. Of course, it all depends on what you mean by cheap

Date: February 5, 2007 20:36

If you live in The Netherlands you can get to many larger cities in less than 5 hours by car or train. You don't even need to fly. If I start driving I have to drive for at least 12-16 hours before I get through Norway, Sweden and Denmark, still nowhere near the north German border. Everything is relative. Cheaper in the Netherlands than in many other countries in Europe. PS. I remember one time I had a hotel room in the Netherlands when I went to the Gelsenkirchen show in Germany. Very close by car. Same goes for Düsseldorf I assume.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: February 5, 2007 20:42

btw, are there any indication how far east they might go (Russia?), or if there are still chances for real "obscure" places like Iceland?

Date: February 5, 2007 23:08

bv Wrote:
> Except for August to & from the south of Europe
> (Italy, Spain), travel in Europe during the summer
> is very cheap. No worries, and no need to worry
> about bookings early at all. Do it last minute.
> One or two weeks before the shows will happen.

Flying from the UK I can assure you that that is definitely NOT the case.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home