Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Monkees
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 29, 2007 20:02

Marilyn Manson had a B-Side of Suicide is Painless. It sucked!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 29, 2007 20:08

Have ya heard the original? Close harmony singing so sweet you dont wanna do it!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 29, 2007 20:11

Good God, I can't believe I'm thinking about this. Micky sang Last Train to Clarksville, I'm a Believer, Stepping Stone, and Pleasant Valley Sunday. Davy sang A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You, Valleri, and Daydream Believer. The Motown comparison isn't a bad one, I suppose. All of them had music careers before the project came up. While Nesmith had actual credibility as a singer-songwriter, Tork (the one who couldn't really sing or write) hung out with Steven Stills and would likely have ended up in a band that made it (although without playing a pivotal role or with anywhere near the exposure The Monkees brought him), Dolenz had a couple of garage band singles that aren't half-bad (I think one of them is on Rhino's Nuggets series), and Jones had left his jockey days behind and been on Broadway and Ed Sullivan with Oliver (I think) and had also done a dreadful late-period Pat Boone type album a year or so before The Monkees launched. Despite the pre-fab label, they also strove to write songs. Dolenz wasn't too bad with things like Randy Scouse Git and Jones could toss off simple pop ballads in the same vein as the hits he sang. Pleasant filler in most cases. I know Tork wrote some stuff. The only thing I recall is For Pete's Sake which was an end theme for the show. They made a couple of garage band albums where they play everything and three of the four of them played on more tracks than they are given credit for. They hover somewhere around Paul Revere and the Raiders. Apart from The Monkees' version of Stepping Stone, I give the edge to the Raiders when it comes to grudging respectability any day. At least they had the sense to turn down Sugar, Sugar. At their best, they made a lot of memorable 60s pop rock and have enough obscurities to make them worthy of casual attention.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 29, 2007 20:15

I like several of the Raiders songs too (Hungry, Good Thing, Kicks, etc.) although I think they were a band before the TV show (Where The Action Is), not because of it.

BTW, "Where The Action Is" was originally sang by Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon, not the Raiders.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 29, 2007 20:26

hey Rooster, baby, that "Suicide Is Painless" song (Mash theme song) was performed in the movie by none other than a very young Louden Wainwright, Jr.....I assume he wrote it....it was performed in the scene when they tricked that lonely guy into thinking he was committing suicide, when in fact they were giving him an aphrodisiac and a night with a very accomodating nurse....a very nice song and an even nicer getsure of friendship. Of course the music to that song (without the rather darkly humurous lyrics) became recognizable by anyone who owned a television during the 80's and 90's....

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 29, 2007 20:30

Ahh Thanks Luke I knew you would know!! I tell you i even heard it in the sucking seventies..brother.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 29, 2007 21:26

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 21:24 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 29, 2007 22:05

What do you mean by trainwreck? Nina Blackwood's hair was the inspiration for millions of big bad spiral perms throughout the 80's - and still to this day in some parts of the South (sorry Lukester).

Date: January 29, 2007 22:21

no.....when were the "New Monkees," Sir Rhosis?

Date: January 29, 2007 22:22

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you mean by trainwreck? Nina Blackwood's
> hair was the inspiration for millions of big bad
> spiral perms throughout the 80's - and still to
> this day in some parts of the South (sorry
> Lukester).

ouch....that was totally unnecessary

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 29, 2007 22:28

Lukester Wrote:
> I loved the TV show......I also loved the Batman
> TV show for that matter.
>
> I tried to dress "mod" like the Monkees.....bell
> bottoms and paisley..and I was 7 or 8 years old at
> the time......
---

Batman *duh-duh-duh--- *
[www.blurst.com]
I had a Batmobile too...
[www.megomuseum.com]

Date: January 29, 2007 23:08

thanks baboon bro......ah the memories of Batman......When that TV show was popular I wanted my own batcave....didn't really need a side kick but I had some friends willing to apply for the job....even had one little buddy willing to be "Alfred the Butler" ..I really wanted a batmobile but I settled for a spider bike with a banana seat......I played Batman every day until dark

I also collected Batman bubble gum cards.....I've still got 'em all. I wonder if they're worth anything?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 29, 2007 23:11

Well, ya could always trade them against Budweiser when I come over grinning smiley

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: January 29, 2007 23:34

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> I like several of the Raiders songs too (Hungry,
> Good Thing, Kicks, etc.) although I think they
> were a band before the TV show (Where The Action
> Is), not because of it.
>
> BTW, "Where The Action Is" was originally sang by
> Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon, not the Raiders.

Raiders are a guilty pleasure of mine.

they were big in the pacific NW (of the U.S.) "long" (five years?) before that schloky tv show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2007 23:58

Mike Nesmith with his mother Bette

Bette Nesmith Graham was born in Dallas, Texas in 1924. She dropped out of high school and worked as a secretary. As a single mother she worked at the Texas Bank & Trust in Dallas. The advent of electric typewriters raised problems for Graham: She discovered that errors made using the new type writer ribbons could not be erased. An amateur artist, Graham did what artists do when they make mistakes--she invented a white liquid that could be painted over the typewritten error. Initially she named her invention "mistake out." The making and marketing of her product was very much a home-based operation. She made the liquid in her kitchen and rounded up her son and his friends to bottle the liquid in her garage. Orders for the product--renamed "Liquid Paper"--poured in. Liquid Paper soon became a standard product in all offices. In 1979, Graham sold Liquid Paper to the Gillette Company for 47 million dollars plus royalties for every bottle sold till 2000. Graham died in 1980.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 30, 2007 00:00

Lukester Wrote:
> I loved the TV show......I also loved the Batman
> TV show for that matter.
>
> I tried to dress "mod" like the Monkees.....bell
> bottoms and paisley..and I was 7 or 8 years old at
> the time......
>
>
> I still have most all of their bubble gum cards.
> Are they worth anything?

Me too. Still have the cards and was a member of their fan club.

Fav song: Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Date: January 30, 2007 00:07

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 21:24 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 30, 2007 00:08

Lukester Wrote:
> hell, I don't remember who sang what.....so does
> that mean Micky sang the Clarksville song? and
> the Monkees theme song (Hey Hey We're The
> Monkees)?
>
> I guess I assumed it was Davey singing...that's
> what he was paid to do right? I mean, tambourine
> players are a dime a dozen....put the jockey to
> work singing.....am I right?

davey and mickey seemed to split up singing. the following website lists his popular songs as

daydream believer,
i want to be free
valleri
a little bit me, a little bit you

[www.monkees.net] - (which give davey's mailing address too - and a cute pic - i'm amazed he has such nice teeth...)

mickey sang clarksville and the theme song, i'm a believer, (i'm not your) stepping stone

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: January 30, 2007 00:40

Weren't a lot of the same studio musicians -- Leon Russell, Glen Campbell, Jim Gordon, others -- playing the music on most of the studio albums of the monkees, raiders, and byrds, and who knows what other bands?

Date: January 30, 2007 00:42

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 21:25 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 30, 2007 00:50

No - it is not complete without that. I LOVED HIM!!! Davy Jones and Keith Partridge - oh the dilemna! Who was cuter?? That one has been debated now for ages. Ok, I just gave it another 2 seconds of thought and STILL can't make up my mind.

Could I get a kiss on the cheek? How 'bout one for the flipside!
Marcia rolls her eyes in a boys will be boys way - you know she wanted that English sausage though in the worst way.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 30, 2007 02:04

I'm sure most here knew that Jimi Hendrix's first tour was opening for the Monkees.
Also, David Bowie's real name is David Jones but he changed it so there would be no confusion.

Date: January 30, 2007 02:26

Lukester Wrote:
> no.....when were the "New Monkees," Sir Rhosis?

i don't remember them at all - this was a TV show? i didn't watch much TV in the 80s...

Date: January 30, 2007 02:30

CindyC Wrote:
> No - it is not complete without that. I LOVED
> HIM!!! Davy Jones and Keith Partridge - oh the
> dilemna! Who was cuter?? That one has been
> debated now for ages. Ok, I just gave it
> another 2 seconds of thought and STILL can't make
> up my mind.
>

Does this recent picture help?

I was always a Shawn Cassidy fan, myself. I heard he was a stock broker in New York.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 30, 2007 04:06

CindyC wrote:

Marcia rolls her eyes in a boys will be boys way - you know she wanted that English sausage though in the worst way.

Aren't those English sausage called "bangers"? winking smiley

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: January 30, 2007 05:07

Don't want to knock anyones musical taste but when I started a post about the Rascals, a group of incredably talented Musician-singer-songwriters, I got 5 responces. The Monkees played no insrtruments on their records, wrote none of their hits. It kinda bugs me that a made-for-TV act gets ten times the posts as The Rascals. I guess I thought Stones fans were more discrimanating. Check out "Mickey's Monkey" by the Young Rascals on You Tube to see a real rock + roll band in action!

Date: January 30, 2007 05:10

keithfan64 Wrote:
> Don't want to knock anyones musical taste but when
> I started a post about the Rascals, a group of
> incredably talented Musician-singer-songwriters, I
> got 5 responces. The Monkees played no
> insrtruments on their records, wrote none of their
> hits. It kinda bugs me that a made-for-TV act gets
> ten times the posts as The Rascals. I guess I
> thought Stones fans were more discrimanating.
> Check out "Mickey's Monkey" by the Young Rascals
> on You Tube to see a real rock + roll band in
> action!

yeah, but the monkees had the TV show that we all watched so we're just reminiscing - but i will check out the rascals.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 30, 2007 05:22

i was with you on The Rascals...i don't go a week without listening to The Rascals...
bein' on a teeny bop tv show every week is the mega exposure tho...
these guys outsold the beatles and the stones during their short rein...
in 66-67!!!
it's fun to have a guilty pleasure...and to talk about them for a thread.
but i have had the same feeling as you from time to time...
i'd be trying to ask bass players and drum players about the snare kick bass thing with charlie and bill, and extrapolate from there maybe...
...and it got a few responses, if any...and like a dozen hits...lol
...no biggie...i'm not in a competition...
but i did notice the idiotic disney ride movie got 8 zillion hits to see keith in a funny nose with a movie star for a kids film...
it's all good i guess. like u keeds say these days...it's all good.
sigh

Date: January 30, 2007 05:23

thanks queenie....

and keithfan64.....stop your damn whining.....and who are you to imply I don't have "disrimanating (sic)" musical tastes?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 30, 2007 05:42

I LOVE the Rascals...but I still have plenty of room in my heart for The Monkees.

The show was great fun, the records were great ("I'm A Believer" is a classic 45 with not just one but two solid instrumental hooks--it may be the greatest pop record. Ever.)

Keithfan, do yourself a favor and check out Monkees Headquarters. On this album, the boys DO play their own instruments. If you like the Stones and the Rascals, the Nesmith compositions "You Told Me" "Sunny Girlfriend" and "You Just May Be the One" will connect with you.

Rhino Handmade put out a 3 disc Headquarters Sessions set in 2000. It's like the garage band version of the Pet Sounds sessions!

Also on the same album, "Randy Scouse Git" was a semi-hit written by Dolenz, one of the two "non-musicians."

For those who don't appreciate/underestimate the Monkees, Headquarters is the album to get.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home