Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Monkees
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:24

Who's a Monkees fan here? Will they be in the long line of olden golden groups to reform this year? I'm a Daydream Believer.

Re: Monkees
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:35

Huge fan, but I don't think there'll be any more reunions. Last year (40th anniversary) would have been the time... plus, I'm pretty sure Davy hates the rest of 'em.

I'd love an official DVD release of the '97 UK tour with Nesmith, though!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:37

Like them---a guilty pleasure--had a friend whose band did a KILLER version of Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Posted by: button_your_lip ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:41

Glass...same here. there aren't too many groups out there, that don't have a spot where they belong. Loved some of their stuff...didn't care a lot for the Keystone Cops antics, tho.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:45

Well, they certainly had a fair amount of "schtick".

But, I will take that over someone who takes themself entirely too seriously.

And, there were some really good tunes, if you could get past the other stuff.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:57

their feature film "Head" was a trip. it was smart, satircal and waaayy out there...in a good way.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 29, 2007 07:01

I think Davy cut all ties to them. He still performs Monkees songs, but, I notice his merchandising makes no mention of The Monkees so there must be a legal issue of him using a name that does not belong to him.

For the most part he seems happy residing in the Pennsylvania countryside according to interviews and local articles.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 29, 2007 07:31

trainarollin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Davy cut all ties to them. He still
> performs Monkees songs, but, I notice his
> merchandising makes no mention of The Monkees so
> there must be a legal issue of him using a name
> that does not belong to him.
>
> For the most part he seems happy residing in the
> Pennsylvania countryside according to interviews
> and local articles.

davy was too cute. he participated in their last couple of reunion tours, but mike nesmith boycotted them, of course.

i met micky dolenz at a book signing event. he was very, uh...friendly. nice guy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2007 09:03

Hey remember Mikey Dolenz in Circus Boy...
That was a wild show...didnt have a monkee but an elephant called Bimbo

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2007 09:50

needs to be said that michael nesmith is hugely overlooked as a seminal songwriter in what became country rock.
right along with, or even before, the others that will come to your mind first. (gram, buffalo springfield, byrds etc...)
nesmith hugely under-rated historically imo.
(also, his 'mary mary' was recorded by butterfield blues band.)

'different drum' (young linda ronstadt and the stone poneys)...was a big national hit...all this before the monkees.
he negotiated an original song or two on each of the monkee albums too, right from the first one...singing on HIS songs; and they sparkled and rolled with a distinctly original country-rock thing, before "country rock" was even a term of reference...

he's the only one who had an original thing going on as a songwriter...and had scored covers and hits before he got the tv show.
you got to love those texas songwriters...
monkees had some good hits, but it's a double edged sword for nesmith...he's tied to the monkees (who outsold the beats and the boyz in '67)!!!, so nobody ever seems to say, 'hey he's one of the first guys, if not the first, to actually get a 'country rock' song on the radio...and was an original pioneer with that.

he wrote and sang snappy gorgeous downhome rollin' country rock and came to it honestly and originally on his own...but will always mostly be remembered as a monkee...i don't think he really cares one way or the other...but i do. and those first monkee albums always had a couple of nesmith songs)
the band was fun and had some sparkling good hits, like pleasant valley sunday...i do agree... and alla that...but nesmith deserves more than a novelty footnote as a comedy tv show rock band guy.
shout out & ty to mike nesmith, tho i'll get tons of shit for that here probably.

tho it would be no sin i guess, he has never re-joined any of the others in any tv or tour project ever, after they dissolved...(except coming on stage for a song or two once or twice.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-29 09:57 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 29, 2007 09:59

I was collecting them cards around 1967, but up to this day I have never bought any records from The Monkees...It must be because I'm a Londoner...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 29, 2007 10:15

well they don't really exactly compare with dylan or the stones or the beatles or hendrix or cream or airplane or mott the hoople or a zillion real rock, blues and folk bands, so why would you really? unless u were a teenybopper watchin' their 'hard days night' faux routines on tv...
think of them as freddie and the dreamers with better songwriters and one lone stubborn genius who couldn't wait to get out.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 29, 2007 10:23

Beely, I was gonna go with HERMAN'S HERMITS but you wanna go with FREDDIE? Let me evaluate this one for a few minutes.... You can't say "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" doesn't rock right up there with "96 Tears"....right?

Date: January 29, 2007 10:56

correctomundo
and the same chord progression as 'for your love' by the yardbirds!
then again "do the freddie" had it's wild charms...
i'd like to think of freddie as the fifth monkee personally...
but mostly their 'career' as a rock band is fiction, and as comics, not much there either...it's a lotta goopy puppy-love dross with zero balz...only nesmith transcended that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-29 12:07 by Beelyboy.

Date: January 29, 2007 11:06

frank zappa's 39 second cameo in "head" movie

"...the youth of america depends on you to show the way"

nesmith and zappa trade places...
hysterical interview

this will explain everything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-29 11:26 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 29, 2007 13:15

I had a Monkees toy car when a pre-schoolkid.
They give me goosebumps everytime.

Imagine if today's kids could here such groovy music
instead of the crap that's floatin' around.

B.Bro, 100.

Date: January 29, 2007 13:24

Michael Nesmith's mother Bette invented liquid white out....it's TRUE you punks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: January 29, 2007 13:34

Hey Rockman

I remember 'Circus Boy' it was shown on British tv in the early sixties, soon after we bought a television for the first time !

Loved the idea of putting on a show in a new town, making them laugh and cheer, and then move on.

Didn't start to follow the Rock n Roll circus that is the Rolling Stones until much later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-29 19:50 by barking paul.

Date: January 29, 2007 13:37

Yeah that's it Paul....everyone should know Dolenz was Circus Boy....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 29, 2007 13:39

I saw 'em in 1986 on an oldies tour (minus Mike). Lots of fun. "Last Train To Clarksville" has a "The Last Time" vibe to me. I really like "Valerie" too. Not too serious, just good solid pop.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 29, 2007 13:40

Thank ya Terryfic Rockman for postin that wonderful Mickey Dolenz-pic
up above! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 29, 2007 15:40

Papa Gene's Blues, Sweet Young Thing, The Crippled Lion, Propiniquity, Some of Shelley's Blues are all great Michael Nesmith songs.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 29, 2007 16:33

Beelyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tho it would be no sin i guess, he has never
> re-joined any of the others in any tv or tour
> project ever, after they dissolved...(except
> coming on stage for a song or two once or twice.)

He did a reunion album ("Justus") with them in the early 90's,
As part of the intended media blitz at that time the four did a TV movie which was aired on a network and was pretty good. (Can't recall the title). They were planning a huge tour of Europe and the U.S., but Nesmith quit after critics in England panned the first few shows. As far as seeing all four of them, that was probably the end of it, forever.

I saw Mike join the other 3 for about 4 or 5 songs at the finish of a Monkees show in LA around '88 or so. It was great. They even did "Joanne!" When they came back for the encore, the four of them had their arms around each other doing the "Monkees walk" that they did on the beach on the opening of the TV show!

Older people treat the Monkees like Milli Vanilli, but they were no more created or manipulated than an early Motown group.

A fantastic Nesmith tune is "St. Matthew" which was unreleased for years. It's got a country wall-of-sound that sounds like an All Things Must Pass track--recorded in Nashville!

Date: January 29, 2007 17:10

Older people treat the Monkees like Milli Vanilli, but they were no more created or manipulated than an early Motown group.

Good point, and they (like the Motown artists) benefitted from excellent song-writing (Neil Diamond, Boyce and Hart, etc.).

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 29, 2007 17:23

I like the song''Daydream believer'' it makes me smile!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 29, 2007 19:36

I loved the TV show......I also loved the Batman TV show for that matter.

I tried to dress "mod" like the Monkees.....bell bottoms and paisley..and I was 7 or 8 years old at the time......

I still have most all of their bubble gum cards. Are they worth anything?

Date: January 29, 2007 19:41

The Monkees and Batman both had great theme songs. NRBQ does a great "Batman".

BTW, our friend Leoanrd K. does a mean "Magnificent Seven" with The Lazy Cowgirls.

Was "Daydream Believer" the only hit that Davy sang? Did Mickey sing all the rest?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-29 19:42 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 29, 2007 19:49

hell, I don't remember who sang what.....so does that mean Micky sang the Clarksville song? and the Monkees theme song (Hey Hey We're The Monkees)?

I guess I assumed it was Davey singing...that's what he was paid to do right? I mean, tambourine players are a dime a dozen....put the jockey to work singing.....am I right?

Date: January 29, 2007 19:52

What was the band that did that''Suicide is painless'' thing thats a rather sad song but its so beautifully sung...do you know them? Did they made more work i have to check out? I got that song on tape always play it real loud..I remember it from so long ago''Mash''was it Theme from Mash''right''?What does that have to do with yhe Monkees R?? nothing!

Date: January 29, 2007 19:55

Makesme think of Monkey man too this thread..wich is nice cause I love that song...like it from Toots to!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home