Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Guitar players
Date: January 17, 2007 16:45

What do you think about the Epiphone SG Special? I'm considering to buy one of these as an extra "on the road" back up-guitar. Seems like you get a decent guitar cheap here?

Re: OT: Guitar players
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 17, 2007 17:02

I got one. It's a little 'ruff' to handle, not so tight as my Stratocaster...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 17, 2007 19:06

I've got an Epiphone SG and it's nice....this one is a 3 Pickup Custom though.....I dunno what the Special is but if it's anything like the Epi Les Paul Special, then it's pretty cheap. And I don't mean the price.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 17, 2007 19:16

Just a cheaper version of the Gibson; kinda like Squirer is to Fender. Should be fine but materials (wood, tuning heads, etc) and workmanship may not be up to Gibson standards. You probably already knew all of this.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 18, 2007 00:41

hello DP !
long time
on the road again ?

best regards

Dýri Iceland

Date: January 18, 2007 10:37

Hey Dyri,

Yes - on the road again! How are you? Good to hear from you again. Start posting!

Bård

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 18, 2007 10:43

Elmo, I don't see the comparison as equal: Squire to Epiphone. Epis are far better than Squires IMO.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: January 18, 2007 11:02

I agree, Squires are shit

Posted by: gdgbd ()
Date: January 18, 2007 11:08

Why not track down a Gibson melody maker which is probably a similar price - its a single P90 pickup, but sounds fantastic. Epi humbuckers are usually needing to be switched out.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 18, 2007 11:48

forligan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree, Squires are shit

Some of the early ones (80's) were great. American parts assembled in Japan. I found trying out guitars in music shops very confusing in those days - a lot of the cheap Squiers were better than the U.S.Fenders being produced at the time.

As for current Epiphones, I think they are nice guitars and good value for money. The hardware, pick ups, pots, etc. will not be of comparable quality to, say, a Gibson. This is usually what annoys me about cheaper guitars, rather than inferior timbers, finish. Try it out to make sure the tuners keep it in tune before you buy and that you can live with the sound from the pick ups. Also check that the tone and volume pots actually work smoothly (cheaper tone pots sometimes sound "on" or "off" with nothing in between. And it has to be red, of course. If you feel you will have to change pick ups, etc, remember it won't really boost the guitar's value if you eventually want to sell it on.

Date: January 18, 2007 15:52

<Some of the early ones (80's) were great. American parts assembled in Japan.>

I have one of these. IMO, they're excellent. Today, Squires are a totally different story. Very low quality.

My 1984 Strat is still my favourite smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2007 20:53

Dyri,

Can you contact me on e-mail?

Talk to you later.

Bard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home