Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stop Breaking Down
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2006 14:02

If today was Christmas Eve
and tomorrow was Christmas Day
Ahhh wouldn't we have time, baby ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 16, 2010 00:23

After the last May I listen to EOMS all the time. I don't know how come, but Stop Breaking Down is my favorite now

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 16, 2010 00:33

goodness this is a grand and powerful wonderful track. wow.>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-16 00:33 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2010 01:50

I understand Bill's philosophy of playing bass, and not treating it as another lead guitar. His playing is very subtle and supportive on Stop Breaking Down. The next cut is Mick Taylor on bass on Shine A Light. He shows off a little bit and doesn't hold the bottom down, just like Keith on bass on the next cut, Soul Survivor.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 16, 2010 05:01

Tumblin_Dice_07
Where does it say that Keith doesn't play on "Stop Breaking Down"? I thought for years that he DIDN'T play on that track, then I read somewhere that he DID, so I'm not sure myself.

Jagger played the nasty (great!) open G rhythm, and Taylor played slide. There are only two guitars on the track. Jagger overdubbed his harmonica.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 16, 2010 15:54

Is there a version of RJs songs released with the correct speed (the one I have, complete recordings, is obviously not)

C

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 16, 2010 16:03

24FPS
I understand Bill's philosophy of playing bass, and not treating it as another lead guitar. His playing is very subtle and supportive on Stop Breaking Down. The next cut is Mick Taylor on bass on Shine A Light. He shows off a little bit and doesn't hold the bottom down, just like Keith on bass on the next cut, Soul Survivor.

BW is the best for sure. I like MT's bass on SAL though... it has a slight reggae feel to it.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: September 16, 2010 17:24

I was blown away when I found out that it wasn't Keith on rhythm. "Jagger? Really? I can't be reading that right'" I said to myself.
Great track. Love the way the vocals are done. All of the ad libs and what not.

-R

Date: September 16, 2010 19:21

Reagan
I was blown away when I found out that it wasn't Keith on rhythm. "Jagger? Really? I can't be reading that right'" I said to myself.
Great track. Love the way the vocals are done. All of the ad libs and what not.

-R

Jagger's guitar playing on this track is a big part of my Grand Theory that he is actually the best all-around musician in the band.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 16, 2010 19:27

one of america's best bar bands of the 70's - The Nighthawks (yeah, I know they still exist, but without Thackery, it ain't the same) - did a fine stones-like version of this on their '74 debut - along with a cover of Memo from Turner. worth seeking out....

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 16, 2010 19:55

Tele, I totally agree. Stop Breaking Down is a blues guitar tour de force featuring the two Micks. A hightlight of Exile - and of their careers. Never could understand how anyone could consider it filler.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:15

I think it would have been better without the slide, it just gets in the way of Jaggers hot harmonica playing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:19

It's not filler, like Ventilator Blues, or Turd On The Run, but it's not up there with the better songs either. It sounds like the material could have used a little Keith.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:53

Totally disagree. In this one instance, Keith wasn't necessary.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:36

I don't care whether Keith is on it or not (and don't know whether he is or not, for that matter), it's always been one of my favorite Stones tracks. A missed opportunity that this arrangement was not played at Joe Robbie Stadium in 1994. There's nothing wrong with a respectful blues cover, but not performing their brilliant transformation of the song was unthinkable.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:10

Rocky Dijon
I don't care whether Keith is on it or not (and don't know whether he is or not, for that matter), it's always been one of my favorite Stones tracks. A missed opportunity that this arrangement was not played at Joe Robbie Stadium in 1994. There's nothing wrong with a respectful blues cover, but not performing their brilliant transformation of the song was unthinkable.

seems pretty clear to me, as told in another thread : taylor on tele , jagger on les paul.

His Majesty
I think it would have been better without the slide, it just gets in the way of Jaggers hot harmonica playing.

un-be-lievable

Date: September 17, 2010 16:22

straycatblues73

un-be-lievable

Not really, the slide isn't anything special.

Date: September 17, 2010 17:34

taylor's slide is what makes this song special

Date: September 17, 2010 17:39

T&A

For me it's the song and the delivery by Mr Jagger that makes it special, the slide is kinda boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 17:51 by His Majesty.

Date: September 17, 2010 17:44

straycatblues73

seems pretty clear to me, as told in another thread : taylor on tele , jagger on les paul.

Wem copycat on top of Taylors Twin?

Date: September 17, 2010 17:54

His Majesty
T&A

For me it's the song and the delivery by Mr Jagger that makes it special, the slide is rather normal and boring.

+1

Taylor has a rather anonymous sound on this one, and the playing is pretty straight, going thru the motions, except for a couple of brief moments. Jagger, however, has a fantastic guitar (and harp) sound, and the vocals are stellar.

Same thing with Turd On The Run, imo, except this time it's Keith that's on fire.

Date: September 17, 2010 17:58

His Majesty
T&A

For me it's the song and the delivery by Mr Jagger that makes it special, the slide is kinda boring.

i'll let that comment slide

Date: September 17, 2010 18:05

Fantastic slide? That's All Down The Line, not Stop Breaking Down, imo.

Date: September 17, 2010 20:25

I'm not insisting Keith's on the track. Either way, it's a favorite. Photos from the EXILE sessions don't honestly mean much to me unless I hear the audio with video footage and can say definitively that's who played on it. I can believe it is only the two Mick's, but I see no point in declaring it when I don't know for a fact. The photos could be them playing anything.

Date: September 17, 2010 20:30

Rocky Dijon
I'm not insisting Keith's on the track. Either way, it's a favorite. Photos from the EXILE sessions don't honestly mean much to me unless I hear the audio with video footage and can say definitively that's who played on it. I can believe it is only the two Mick's, but I see no point in declaring it when I don't know for a fact. The photos could be them playing anything.

Well, if you combine the credits (which say Jagger on guitar) with the fact that you can only hear two guitars on it, and that it has to be Taylor on slide, it's fairly obvious who played what on this track.

Date: September 17, 2010 20:34

That's reasonable. The only slight issue would be credits sometimes refer to something played on an earlier take or something buried in the mix. I agree the slide is definitely Taylor. I can believe the opening riff is Jagger, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn it is Keith. Not an important point to me, I love the track.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2010 20:42

I don't want to stirr things up,but the best slide player the stones ever had was Taylor. No matter who played what.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 17, 2010 20:47

paulywaul
Originally written by Robert Johnson but not copyrighted

Technically that is incorrect. One it's written, it's copyrighted. If it's not hand written but just in your head and you record it, it's copyrighted. Why the Stones would credit themselves for a song they didn't write is beyond me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 20:56 by skipstone.

Date: September 17, 2010 21:13

I think it's more a publisher's concern. Traditional Arrangements (Trad. Arr.) usually means either author unknown or the track is not covered under a publishing agreement. Someone has to get the royalties and the publisher is the necessary conduit. The Stones didn't claim they wrote it. They listed it as traditional and credited the entire band with the arrangement and correctly listed ABKCO as publisher rather than Promopub since it was started (if not completed) in 1970. It was true in 1972. ABKCO has since begun paying royalties to Johnson's Estate.

Date: September 17, 2010 22:52

Amsterdamned
I don't want to stirr things up,but the best slide player the stones ever had was Taylor. No matter who played what.

Nobody doubts that, but why do you say that in this thread?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home