Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones At The Max on US TV
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:37

HDNET in America has been running this in high definition. The picture quality and sound is AMAZING. (Although I think I detected some guitar overdubs)

I never bothered to buy this when it came out back in the day as I don't think 1989/1990 shows hold up well against Let's Spend the Night Together or other earlier live stuff as this is when the Vegas act began..but my God the camera work is amazing. I wish the 1969, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1981 tours had been filmed in IMAX and made available in HD.

Re: Rolling Stones At The Max on US TV
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:51

the awful, and clearly filmed after the fact, shots of the crowd ruins it for me. it's just too cheesy.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:54

Fair point.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:40

I happened to catch the last part of it. i have a bose surrond sound system and to be honest with you it sounded like shit. guitars were very uneven . The sound just didn't seem to have any balls to it. It loks like that is when Ron and Keith really started the posing and not playing routine. Which may explain the overdubs and some of the uneven sound

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 17, 2010 19:04

I saw it years ago on Imax. That what the film was made for and it was soo great!

Lightyears apart from Video/DVD experience.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 17, 2010 19:10

It was on our local PBS station a few days ago. Saw HTW, thought the filming and sound was terrible. And the outfits were hideous. But that was on a small TV.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:10

bernardanderson
the awful, and clearly filmed after the fact, shots of the crowd ruins it for me. it's just too cheesy.

Ruby Tuesday is almost completely a sync to the music filming! Does Mick really stand 5 feet away from the mic when he sings? Noooooo....but amazingly he does during Ruby Tuesday.

The worst part about this movie on the big screen? Seeing Mick's horrible poses and monkey faces and his robotic moves even bigger.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:11

headly123
I happened to catch the last part of it. i have a bose surrond sound system and to be honest with you it sounded like shit. guitars were very uneven . The sound just didn't seem to have any balls to it. It loks like that is when Ron and Keith really started the posing and not playing routine. Which may explain the overdubs and some of the uneven sound

I was flipping through channels and caught a little bit of the last few minutes too. I thought the same thing, and the sound just seemed weird to me. Various instruments would come blaring to the front at odd times, and the guitars were over the top, and didn't sound good within the mix. It just sounded up and down and all over the place, like everything was just dropped on top of everything. I saw one of Keith's solos, and it did not look like what he was playing was what I was hearing at all. Either badly synced, which I doubt because everything else was fine, or badly overdubbed, which is my guess.

I know there are a lot of people here who love them live from Steel Wheels on, but just the few minutes I saw was almost embarrassing to watch. Mick's stage moves just looked ridiculous to me, and Keith's didn't look much better. Unfortunately, this is how I've felt about every piece of film I've seen of them since Steel Wheels. I like the 81 tour a lot, it's the last great one for me, and they still managed to pull it off, but even then some of their stage act was starting to wear thin. From 89 on though, it's only gotten worse, and they just don't do it for me anymore as a live act. Not the sound, not the moves, none of it.

I respect that there are people who still love them, and there's nothing wrong with that, but for me, I just don't get it anymore.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 18, 2010 09:35

Ha ha ha ha ha. And that little dork who did Shine A Light wanted the same damn thing - this turned up and that turned up for just the second or two...

What's wrong with just having the entire thing be the same and just turn the @#$%& up?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 18, 2010 16:56

bernardanderson

probably right....i knew that some of the bands performance was staged after the fact because
i saw the "making of RS at the Max" but didn't realize the audience shots were also...but obviously
they look very polished.

makes one wonder what else is faked for iMax filming.....did they have the penguins in
Antarctica do second and third takes when they got it "wrong" too? winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home