Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The Empty Stadium In Chicago
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:56

So what if they didn't sell out a big stadium show in Chicago? They have played something like 9 shows in the past 3 years here. It was cold, very windy and the weather actually called for rain and possibly snow! Very tough conditions by any standards. Please remember that the wind here when it's cold will cut you like a knife. The name in Chicago for this north wind is The Hawk. You have to dress for it, otherwise it runs straight through you and leaves a nasty chill. I think Keith got bit by The Hawk the other night. Also consider that the Stones play to an older middle aged audience that had seen them play somewhat recently. Tickets were high priced up front. Add these factors up and you get some empty seats. Had the weather been right the place would have been pretty full IMHO. Many more tickets were sold and people just blew off the show because of the weather, period. I think some of you guys are making a big deal out of nothing with this attendance issue. They rolled the dice when the scheduling was done and came up empty with the weather. That's the way life is sometimes. As it has always been and always will be, blame it on the Stones. The most important thing was how did the they play. The anwser is pretty damned good. I thought I got my moneys worth and went home feeling like I saw a top end stadium Stones concert? These guys can still play.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:57

Lemme see, temp difference between the last two Chi. Soldier Field shows was 50 degrees. Both shows were great with energetic setlists. Guess what, maybe shows will go a bit smaller in the future. End? Talk to Buddy, BB, and any other blues player that The Stones and their fans enjoy. What else can they do, this is their raison d'etre after all.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:58

Update your info The Worst. this tour is #1. it has far passed Voodoo.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:00

filstan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what if they didn't sell out a big stadium show
> in Chicago? They have played something like 9
> shows in the past 3 years here. It was cold, very
> windy and the weather actually called for rain and
> possibly snow! Very tough conditions by any
> standards. Please remember that the wind here when
> it's cold will cut you like a knife. The name in
> Chicago for this north wind is The Hawk. You have
> to dress for it, otherwise it runs straight
> through you and leaves a nasty chill. I think
> Keith got bit by The Hawk the other night. Also
> consider that the Stones play to an older middle
> aged audience that had seen them play somewhat
> recently. Tickets were high priced up front. Add
> these factors up and you get some empty seats. Had
> the weather been right the place would have been
> pretty full IMHO. Many more tickets were sold and
> people just blew off the show because of the
> weather, period. I think some of you guys are
> making a big deal out of nothing with this
> attendance issue. They rolled the dice when the
> scheduling was done and came up empty with the
> weather. That's the way life is sometimes. As it
> has always been and always will be, blame it on
> the Stones. The most important thing was how did
> the they play. The anwser is pretty damned good. I
> thought I got my moneys worth and went home
> feeling like I saw a top end stadium Stones
> concert? These guys can still play.

You've got it right.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:00

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> Update your info The Worst. this tour is #1. it
> has far passed Voodoo.

OK, if you guys say so. But do you count the Rio show?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:05

According to the reports from the 30,000 or so fans who went to the Chicago show this week, it was one of the greatest, even if the weather was torture, so I would feel more sorry for those 25,000 who did not go, but could.

As for the Stones, they played in front of 30,000, while if they had performed at United Center, it would have been fewer people and a different show.

I don't really see the problem. The Stones are stacked with money. If there are 30,000 or 50,000 it does not really matter. Most of the venues on this tour are sold out anyway. By sold out I mean more than 90% sold. If they make 590 or 600 millon dollar I don't think that is significant. In fact it is less that 2% so they will probably add another show if they feel they go bankrupt due to the "catastrophically" bad Chicago attendance.

Bjornulf

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:05

Isaw the $ amounts in the newspaper a few days ago. I don't have the offical numbers handy unfortunately.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:11

While I was in the 16th row right side on the field, the sound was very good even with some big gusts of wind blowing around. I think the sound system for this tour is the best they have ever had. Having seen so many concerts from these guys over the years, it is the sound that matters most to me now. On that end they have delivered, except at the Bstage the other night. Horrible out there as I was hanging on the stage rail. Strange.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:12

I am an American and I am not negative. I have seen them 14 times on this tour in four countries, two of which were Germany and England. I like all the shows. BTW, England is home to the boys. It is off the continent of Europe. And they did play the best of the 14 I have seen -- Twickenham I.

"Some few seats in Berlin was not sold out" [sic] -- actually, there were a number of large sections that were empty. I actually have photos of this that I took myself. I was surprised. I have never before or since seen that at a Stones concert. Sounds like Chicago was the same or probably worse. Actually hurts me when they don't sell out anywhere.

I think there needs to be some massive re-education in Europe as to the relative importance of the Stones over the World Cup. Perhaps we need to evangelize.

But what we really need to evangelize about, and what I keep preaching about at every opportunity, is of the Wondrous Ways of THE PLEXIGLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prepare Ye The Way!!!

tim from Plexiglass, montana

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:31

That stadium wasnt empty....and it seems like this show was very,very special!!

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:34

This fall return to North America was for purely tax reasons. Hence the reason for playing stadiums instead of arenas. Quite simplywhy play 2 shows to 40,000 people in total at the united centre when you can play one show to 30,000 to 40,000 people ( 40,000 if the weather would have been better ) at Soldier Field. Pure economics of scale working here.

As to the humiliation.....I bet the crowd in Chicago loved the show and that is all that matters!

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:45

all i can say is....

im sooooooooooooooooooo glad they are playing indoors at a small arena in A.C.

they could very easily have slammed us too by playing at CB Park or the Link in Philly ... in the freezing cold... in October...

i agreet that its absolutely ridiculous that this 2nd half is mostly more stadiums, its bullshit .... period... Cohl SUCKS

Date: October 14, 2006 17:46

Generally about the fall tour, I think it is one of the most impressing and challenging tours the Stones have done. Why? Because they have taken their show to places they hardly or never have been to before. New states. Small cities. Selling out Regina two times. Performing in Halifax, a short drive from Moncton, another small place, Wichita, Missoula, places many people have never heard about, taking the entire ABB stage and 300 person large crew all these places to crowds of 20,000 to 50,000 people is nothing less than impressing. If they sell 40% or 80% or 100% of the stadium capacity in these places is totally un-interesting. What is interesting is they perform for another 700,000 or so people during this Fall tour. And if you ask these people, I am sure most of them are happy they could see the Stones at all during this "extra" tour. I think most people who complain about empty stadiums don't know what they are talking about, and the whole point of talking about empty stadiums is negativity, rather than seeing the positive side of these shows.

Bjornulf

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:50

hey, i totally agree with that, playing venues like Missoula, Churchill Downs, and places they have never been before is fantastic and seems these shows went over BIG... but why why why in the big cities they have been to many many times do stadium shows??? like CA, Chicago, Giants Stad in NJ ... it does not make ANY sense

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 17:55 by keefkid.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:57

It was one of the best Stones shows I've seen in 30+ years. They left out YCAGWYW which didn't phase me one iota. The stadium was devoid of fair-weather fans who would have been pissed to not hear "Angie." Those who WERE there were the most ardent of fans. It was like a valhalla for the most devoted Stones fans.

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: October 14, 2006 18:13

I wish that i could have gone to see the show in Chicago. IORR reports sound good and the setlist looks cool. However, i'm working in Madrid hoping for a show next Spring or summer.
Can't wait for the next show so everyone stops whining about Chicago attendance.
Long live the stones

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 14, 2006 18:52

Jack Knife, sorry, but sometimes you seem icredibly cyclothymic. Sorry, but you very often are out of touch with reality.

By your logic, the Stones should quit in 1982 if not earlier. Then, for their second Munich show had been sold only 50,000 tickets out of 72,000. Since then, sometimes they were canceling gigs due to slow tickets sales, especialy in countries where World Cup was taken place: second Tourin show in 1990, three out four (!) gigs in France 1998. SO WHAT?
A band that attracts on every big tour 5 or 6 million of people playing stadiums all over the world hasn't fantastic sales, anytime and anywhere. On every round the Stones did some gigs which had been far from sellout atleast since 1981/82, when they started playing basically stadiums. But these cases always were the exceptions whice "comfirm" the rule.: the general huge band's success. Simple as that. I have mentioned for you a lot of older examples, but you refuse to understand it.

Jack Knife, do you remember the official numbers Georgelicks gave us recently, from the start of the tour to September, 29, 2006? Maybe you haven't noticed it, but the Stones in USA- Canada played so far to 1.6 million people. Until the end of the year, they'll surpass easily the number of 2 million. For the time being, the analogy between attendance and capacity is amazing, with a logical and absolutely explainable exception: When the Stones are hiting cities they've played recently for three, or four times! With the same high prices. So, you say Stones must quit and "it's over", just because they played in a half- empty Soldier Field. On a freezing night during which every ...normal guy stays home. After having played earlier, on this tour, some Chicago gigs- a sellout concert at Soldier Field included! Are you serious???

"Sad european sales"...Oh, yeah? On a "broken" tour... 909,229 tickets sold. Out of 1,046,808- which means 87%... Eleven out 19 gigs, more than 90%... With these prices... Given that this is the fourth Stones tour in the last 12 years. If these sales are "sad", i'm a space traveller...

Jack Knife, so far on this tour (i mean from the start to Sept. 29) the Stones have sold 3,093,782 tickets. The percentages (attendance /capacity) are 87% as for Europe, 99.4% as for Latin America, 93.3% as for Japan, 100% as for Australia -N. Zealand. As for USA, i need an information from Georgelicks - are missing 15 shows from 2005- to estimate the exact number. The number so far is approximately 98-99%.
Of course it will be influenced by Chicago gig. Also, all of us we know that in a few cases there are some tricks around: Recently in Foxboro and Giants had been reduced some usuful sections, in order to be the first gig near sellout with 44,000 tickets and the second one sellout with 48,000 tickets. Let's suppose that the real percentage in USA- Canada is not 98%, but 97%, 93%. SO WHAT?

Despite the annoying ticket prices, dispite the highest frequency of band's rounds since 1994, on this tour the Stones can - maybe easily- surpass the attendance of 5 million people, not including free concert in Rio (1.2 million). The hugest phenomenon in Rock History. They' re not only the best live rock band, but also the most popular live act in the world. And that means a lot. For them, for Rock N' Roll itself, for their fans. But you, Jack Knife, cannot see it. Because when Rock N' Roll celebrates, Jack Knife, you are counting empty seats in the freezing Soldier Field. What a pity...

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: October 14, 2006 18:58

SO SAD that negative fools insist on droping their dung on our party! I know, I know, it's all to get our reactions and to see how ardently we defend our BOYS but our defense is not even necessary; they ARE THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, no one even close, that is not even an opinion, it is statement of fact. Count this Jack knife!! 44 years and still going stroger than any other band on earth!!

Date: October 14, 2006 20:03

Markets vary a lot. They experienced bad ticket sales in Italy long time ago, but then they did not give up this market. They scheduled San Siro and Monza several times, got some unfortunate cancellations (Mick's laryngitis, promoter trouble etc), and eventually they made it and we got two great shows in Milan over the past two tours. And even if they had bad sales in Oslo some time ago, probably due to bad weather or who knows, they will probably be back to Oslo as well any time they tour the Nordic country.

The Stones are so lucky they can play any place and don't really need to worry about filling up the stadium 100%. Like in Barcelona they usually never fill up the stadium because it is simply too big. Still they go back and perform great shows to large crowds every time there. And in Rio they did only have 1.5 - 2 million people. Real tragic. Why didn't they have 3 or 4 million? Are they loosing the attention? The capacity of Copacabana is at least 3 million if you pack real hard.

Give me a break. They are the biggest selling act in the world. Simple as that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: October 14, 2006 20:11

I now live rural Big Island Hawaii, a poverty stricken NON TOURIST area of the islands. Yesterday I went into the village of Pahoa wearing a Stones shirt. EVERYWHERE I went people saw the shirt and talked about what a great event the show is going to be. I went to a bar, the guy on stage playing , between songs, asked over the mike, "Bro, you got tickets to the show?"

Nothing happens in Pahoa. It is the definition of laid back, the capitol of "Island Style." Even they are excited about the show. There are three major islands between here and Oahu, and people are geared up and excited. STILL on this site, shidoobee, and rocks off, people want to hang crepe and wear black for the death of a group that is still outselling any other live performers. I juts do not get it.

Date: October 14, 2006 20:22

Empty? Looked like several thousand were there.....
"If" Soldier Field was their one and only tour stop in Chicago this tour they would have sold out the entire stadium, standing room only and all. But what was this, their 4th show there and second gig at Soldier Field or something?
The colder weather, not so cheap ticket prices and market saturation most likely left some seats open.
Also, many of their original fans have died. Younger prople often prefer newer bands such as the Cheetah Girls *sigh*

But...I'll go see them play anytime.

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 20:55 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: October 14, 2006 21:04

I agree with Keefkid and other posters here...it was an OUTDOOR stadium show in October with really, really cold temps!!! I think it's great they had as many fans as they did!! Judging from the Giant's show (9/27), the Stones are far from being over....!!....Also, I doubt that many of their fans are "dead"...c'mon really.

Looking forward greatly to the indoor,more intimate size AC show...should be a killer...

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: October 14, 2006 21:33

It may hace been only 50%-60% full but I left that concert 100% SATISFIED. I haven't heard Ronnie play that well since the '81 tour. If they came again you can still count me in-no questions asked.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 14, 2006 21:56

69-72..three years 72-75 three years 75 -78-81-89-94-98..they always waited and always had a full house..why didnt they do it this time?I think we know it..ahhh I wish I was at this show!!

Posted by: KCSTONES ()
Date: October 14, 2006 22:18

Seems like everyone is missing the point. The Stones are STILL the greatest Live show on earth. The DAMN problem is the @#$%& ticket prices that only the wealthiest of fans can afford. I have saeen every tour since Buffalo 78 and this is the first show I've missed. I hate reserved seating for one..the rich people get to be upfront..wooohoooo.
My best Stones show was Wembly 1999 where it was standing (FOS). The real fans that showed up early got to be in front of the stage. @#$%& best concert ever!
Mere feet from stones for $60.00. You can't beat that. Thats the way rock and roll should be played. $450.00 for a floor ticket leaves a bad taste in my mouth and actually leaves me cold towards the Stones. Still love them but they don't "Move me" the same way anymore.

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: October 14, 2006 22:42

first of all, I don't know why people are so obsessed with the attendance, but if you must, I think another reason they didn't sell as well is that had the White Sox been in the playoffs, game 2 would've been the same night just a few miles down the road. I know I very reluctantly bought my tickets in the presale with an eye on the baseball standings. The only thing I can figure is you all must be Cub fans as they are the only people I know so concerned about attendance figures.

Date: October 14, 2006 22:57

Ya know? The more I think about it... I wish all shows were so "empty" that I was the only one there and I had the whole show to meself. But I don't mind sharing.
;-)

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 14, 2006 23:25

Worst wrote : "I know ABB tour is the largest grossing tour ever, but I thought VL had more people attending. Almost 6 million sold tickets. Nothing is even close."

Much more. If i remember correctly Voodoo Lounge had 6.7 million attending. The others: 1981/82, 3.5 million. 1989/90, 6.2 million. 1997-1999, 5.6 million. 2002-3, 3.5 million.

Until the end of the year, ABB will have attract 3.6 or 3.7 million - not including the free gig in Rio. In 2007 we will have, probably, a few shows in Asia and the european tour #2. We don't know, of course, how "large" the european tour will be. But if the "shattered" tour in the summer 2006 attracted 909,229 people, i'm sure that the next one will be about more than one million people. Maybe 1.2- 1.5 million. In any case, ABB tour will attract approximately 5 million people. Or more. Do you want to add Rio's gig? OK, add up 1.2 million people.

IMO, in 2005-07 this is amazing, if not a real miracle! I don't mean the ticket prices. I mean the high frequency of tours in the last years. 1982 tour was the first visit in Europe after 6 years. 1989/90 tour was the first round after 8 years. The so remarkable VL, the first tour after 5 years. But now? ABB tour takes place after a short break of 3 years. And, despite the fact that the Stones have already played to 22 million of people since 1989, they attract so many people. Amazing...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 14, 2006 23:27

I have a question: if they closed off all the upper levels, does that mean no one bought those tickets at all? Or did they let people who had tickets up there sit in better seats since the attendance was so low?

Date: October 14, 2006 23:50

ryanpow Wrote:
> I have a question: if they closed off all the
> upper levels, does that mean no one bought those
> tickets at all? Or did they let people who had
> tickets up there sit in better seats since the
> attendance was so low?

Most likely the ushers escorted people who had nosebleed seats down to the lower level. I've seen that happen on previous tours. In '98 I bought a $35 "cheapie" in the rafters for the 2nd show that wasn't sold out so we were allowed down to the lower level and we scored some beauties near the stage.
At this point in time of this leg of the tour, it's probably a good idea to get into the shows as cheap as possible and then scam a lower level seat once you're there. Save your cash for important things like blinkies, beer and T-shirts...not necessarily in that order.
;-)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home