Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The Empty Stadium In Chicago
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:29

I think part of it, Andy, is pride on our parts. Face it - the Stones have been slagged off as "old" since at least '81, and it went into overdrive with "Steel Wheelchairs" and all that crap. So them being able to sell out every show, charge astronomical sums, break records, etc. was a nice "F YOU!" to all the naysayers, not to mention the pretenders to the throne (I'm thinking of a remarkably mediocre Irish band here...).

And now, depending on how you look at it, the Stones have bitten off more than they can chew. Call it market oversaturation, weather, ill-conceived delusions of grandeur, or whatever . . . from a pride standpoint, it's a chink in the armour (if not theirs, then maybe ours, as fans). They're no longer invincible in a sense. Add to it that they're finally starting to show their age a bit (Keith, namely), and it stings a bit more. Because it proves the naysayers right, even to a tiny degree.

And that all does kind of suck, even though it's ultimately meaningless.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: October 16, 2006 03:27

It always amazes me how you people on here defend this band no matter the facts are .The couldn't fill up the stadium because people are not going to pay a ton of money to freeze there ass off for these guys and pay them a ton of money to do it. But I think the bottom line is they need to take a break or give it up. People are starting to wise up to these guys ripping them off and just aren't buying it anymore. I ihave checked Ticketmsater for every show up to the last day and I could always get a floor seat. They just need to bow out with some grace. Maybe this will be a wake up call to them . But then again I am sure there are still a few of you knuckheads who will buy into there scam no matter what they are selling. I have read the set lists for the shows. For the markets they have played to death the have changed the set list to a certain degree. But I have heard the boots and they just can't play like they used to. Nor do I expect them to. I just don't care for the sound anymore. Sorry guys. I will pass on this tour.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 16, 2006 03:36

good riddance!

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: October 16, 2006 04:25

Here's a very simple bottom line. If the main floor & the best sideline tickets were 99.00 & all others 50.00, Soldier Field would've sold out in an hour. Not many people are willing to pay $450.00 particularly more than once on the same tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2006 04:30

JuanTCB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think part of it, Andy, is pride on our parts.
> Face it - the Stones have been slagged off as
> "old" since at least '81, and it went into
> overdrive with "Steel Wheelchairs" and all that
> crap. So them being able to sell out every show,
> charge astronomical sums, break records, etc. was
> a nice "F YOU!" to all the naysayers, not to
> mention the pretenders to the throne (I'm thinking
> of a remarkably mediocre Irish band here...).
>

I can see your point and as a fan I also take some satisfaction or pride in their continued success and achievements, but I fail to see the 'pride' that comes with them being able to 'charge astronomical sums' as the only people theyre saying "F You" to in doing so is not the 'naysayers' but ... their fans.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 16, 2006 04:47

headley123 -

hard but very honest words.

And concerning: "People are starting to wise up to these guys ripping them off and just aren't buying it anymore" - I hear it everywhere, until Licks regardless who you spoke to, if people were interested in "classic rock", they went to see the Stones. This time around it is totally different, it is almost frightening too see how many have actually turned their backs on them and did not go. And unlike you, they do not express themselves on boards like this. But their reasons are more or less the same like yours. It smells like a trend.

Date: October 16, 2006 04:50

it "smells" like a Britney Spears fan.

Posted by: MicknSteven ()
Date: October 16, 2006 04:53

To Jack Knife

theres no need to be sorry, i am a fan just like yourself, it gets me sad too..

To A Bigger Bang: I am going to the LA show too...and sales are still slow, lets hope for a big push as the show gets closer.

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: October 16, 2006 05:10

marbles Wrote:
> Here's a very simple bottom line. If the main
> floor & the best sideline tickets were 99.00 & all
> others 50.00, Soldier Field would've sold out in
> an hour. Not many people are willing to pay
> $450.00 particularly more than once on the same
> tour.

I'd have to agree with this in large part....$450.00 is outrageous for ticket prices. Even if the floors and best sidelines were $200.00 and the rest between $50-$99.00 ...that would be a fair price. I even thought that shelling out $250 for my seats in AC was too much...but that was my absolute limit - (mind you at Boardwalk Hall one doesn't need the best seats in the house since there are no bad seats in that house).

As I said before, in all fairness I do still believe that the weather kept about 15-20% of the people away in Chicago regardless of the ticket prices!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 16, 2006 05:22

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> it "smells" like a Britney Spears fan.

?

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: October 16, 2006 05:46

retired_dog Wrote:
> J.J.Flash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > it "smells" like a Britney Spears fan.
>
>
> ?

This thread has hit a raw nerve for many it seems.

Date: October 16, 2006 05:48

bigbang Wrote:
> retired_dog Wrote:
> -----
> > J.J.Flash Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > it "smells" like a Britney Spears fan.
> >
> >
> > ?
>
>
> This thread has hit a raw nerve for many it seems.

it "smells" like a raw nerve.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: October 16, 2006 05:55

MicknSteven Wrote:
> To Jack Knife
>>
> To A Bigger Bang: I am going to the LA show
> too...and sales are still slow, lets hope for a
> big push as the show gets closer.

yeah, a half empty stadium would put a damper on my spirits. But I'll be there, which is cool since, regardless of the quality of the venue and maybe even the show, it may be the last time.... I know they've been saying that forever, the last time thing, but it's starting to smell that way.

Kind of the same way it smells like a change in control of the US Congress - the chances just seem greater this time, all considered.

Got great tickets to see Dylan this Friday at Staples, are you going?

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: October 16, 2006 06:28

I saw Dylan at Staples back in 2003. Great show. I am going to see him this Wednesday in Sacramento at Echo Arena. I can't wait! I don't have enough money to buy his new lp and have not read any setlists so I am hoping to be completely surprised. Of course I will see the Stones and Van Morrison early next month here in the Bay Area. It seems that I should have no problem getting a somewhat affordable ticket around 50 dollars. I don't care if I'm in the nosebleeds...

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2006 06:50

I'm seeing Dylan again in Long Beach, CA on the 21st.
Tried for Staples tickets, but no decent seats available (even the damn pre-sale).
Then Long Beach was announced, with a GA section on the floor. smiling smiley
I'll be leaning on the stage, soaking up another dose of the legend.
The new album is excellent, it keeps growing and growing on me,
as did Time Out Of Mind and Love and Theft. You know it's a great one,
when you find yourself humming some of the new melodies and/or lyrics while in line at the market or bank.
I rank it slightly above Love and Theft, and slightly below Time Out Of Mind.
I've seen Dylan a few times since '78, the best were at the Wiltern '02.

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: October 16, 2006 07:02

Got tickets to see Dylan in Philly November...been wanting to see him for a long time but never did. Without a doubt, like the Stones this guy is a true legend and I don't wanna miss him again! Now seems to be a good time with everyone praising his new record. Kinda sorry I missed his ballfield tour though...

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 16, 2006 15:05

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> it "smells" like a Britney Spears fan.

... and do you not realise that as far as Cohl and his chums are concerned, there is NO DIFFERENCE between Britney and the Rolling stones. They're all just profits on a spreadsheet.

THAT is what we're trying to get through to you.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 16, 2006 16:16

LOGIE Wrote:
> J.J.Flash Wrote:
> -----
> > it "smells" like a Britney Spears fan.
>
>
> ... and do you not realise that as far as Cohl and
> his chums are concerned, there is NO DIFFERENCE
> between Britney and the Rolling stones. They're
> all just profits on a spreadsheet.
>
> THAT is what we're trying to get through to you.

thats right and Cohl does marketing the Stones just like Britney Spears by focussing them on a family friendly greatest hits program for all ages and many Stones fans dont even notice it or dont care. it is still a great show I have seen many times on this tour (11 times to be precise) but gone is the danger, the rock'n'roll insanity and the musical challenge in order to present perfect show.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 16, 2006 16:22

alimente Wrote:

> thats right and Cohl does marketing the Stones
> just like Britney Spears by focussing them on a
> family friendly greatest hits program for all ages
> and many Stones fans dont even notice it or dont
> care. it is still a great show I have seen many
> times on this tour (11 times to be precise) but
> gone is the danger, the rock'n'roll insanity and
> the musical challenge in order to present perfect
> show.

The danger has certainly gone. At their age, it's understandable. They try to keep the image up by being drunk, but it doesn't work anymore. It only affects their playing.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: October 16, 2006 17:37

When the Stones play, the most important thing is that they are there and the second most important is that I am there. Because whether there is 50 people in the audience or 50,ooo what it boils down is if the Old Men from Richmaond are on.....there ain't no party like a Rolling Stones party.....WORD.

Date: October 16, 2006 17:47

bigbang...i dont have tickets for dylan....sadly i think you are right, this maybe one of the last times we get to see the stones. I just Hate to think that half the stadium is going to be empty...this really sucks...i know its going to put my spirts down a bit too.....you can still get good tickets for the stones at $450.00 on the floor next to the second stage..

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 16, 2006 17:53

magenta Wrote:
> When the Stones play, the most important thing is
> that they are there and the second most important
> is that I am there. Because whether there is 50
> people in the audience or 50,ooo what it boils
> down is if the Old Men from Richmaond are
> on.....there ain't no party like a Rolling Stones
> party.....WORD.

You can't mean that. I think we all want to see our band in a packed stadium. Sell out in a few hours (days) like the previous tours.

Date: October 16, 2006 18:41

I am with you Harm....we all want to see a packed stadium with thousands of people....i cant wait too see the reports from Seattle whcih i hear teh sale were jsut as bad as Chicago...lets hope not.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 16, 2006 18:49

kahoosier Wrote:
> I now live rural Big Island Hawaii, a poverty
> stricken NON TOURIST area of the islands.
> Yesterday I went into the village of Pahoa wearing
> a Stones shirt. EVERYWHERE I went people saw the
> shirt and talked about what a great event the show
> is going to be. I went to a bar, the guy on stage
> playing , between songs, asked over the mike,
> "Bro, you got tickets to the show?"
>

...and how long will it take for these poverty stricken people to save up for a Stones ticket?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:08

supposedly yesterday's earthquake in Hawaii caused some structural damage to the stadium where the Stones are scheduled to play.... so the show and the public's ability to buy tickets for it may be the least of their concerns at present...

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: October 17, 2006 07:29

Sure I would love to see the Stones in a packed stadium but if the joint isn't packed and the joint is jumoing I will still have a good time. Man, they have been doing these staduims show forever, so if only the crazy real true fans are showing up this time, so be it. As far as the Stones not being dangerous anymore, I can live I can live with that too, because the Stones toured this country during one the craziest years ever....1969. Woodstock, Viet Nam, Black Panthers dying in Chi Town, Manson and there were those skinny English cats belting out "Gimme Shelter", oh yeah and can't forget Meridith Hunter, he didn't make it to 1970. I think they took it to the edge then and then pulled it back, that's ok. Because I think the Stones are better now and if this way it ends, well all I can say to quote Goerge Jones is...."Who's gonna fill those shoes?". I'll be at Dodger Stadium, check me out I will be the guy doing the Boston Monkey.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 17, 2006 18:06

Harm wrote "I think we all want to see our band in a packed stadium. Sell out in a few hours (days) like the previous tours."

Sometimes it happens, even on this leg of the tour. Halifax, 2Regina, etc. But how could this happen always - or just in the most cases- with these ticket prices, given also the so high frequency of tours in the last years?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 17, 2006 18:52

A couple points: I don't see desire to make lots of money (greed, even) has anything to do with whether an artist enjoys working, even feels compelled to work. Mick can calculate with Cohl, then dance all night alone in a studio or feed off an audience and lose himself and watch every detail simultaneously.Too many painters and great writers belie this either/or silliness.
I don't fully agree with bv re the stadium tour fall 06 - sure, markets like Montana or Regina were ripe, but Boston, Chicago made no sense and should have been booked smaller...Most tix, remember, were far from $450
One thought - Cohl, so shrewd, so loyal since he outbid Graham in '89, has his eye off the ball this time - he's preoccupied with a couple divas also on xpensive tours - Madonna and hey my name is Barbra too (would he have delegated?)...BTW What exactly is Radio Shack's involvement? Never noticed them before doing tours. Name on ticket/marquee only or involved in booking?

Date: October 17, 2006 19:43

Radio Shack is only the Sponsar...,,,it looks like the last sponsar did a better job of handling it. I dont see too many Commericals as I did last year....

The bottom line is this, the band wants to make as much money as possible they rather make more money and have less people at the show, thats what $450.00 a ticket does for you...

Posted by: KCSTONES ()
Date: October 17, 2006 20:03

The bottom line is this, the band wants to make as much money as possible they rather make more money and have less people at the show, thats what $450.00 a ticket does for you...

Totally agree with this post. Also sick of those who say we have no right to complain about ticket prices. Shod off..most of us have been loyal Stones fans for many years..over 30 yrs for me. It just comes to the point where you feel your getting ripped off. We still love them and would gladly pay a fair price and fill a stadium. $250 for a stadium ticket let alone, $450 for a ticket is plain greed. The sales for the current tour bear out this conclusion. The Stones used to be a band for the blue collar worker..not anymore.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home