Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The Empty Stadium In Chicago
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 14, 2006 06:19

This is the saddest thing I've ever seen/read about in my 40 years of being a Stones fan. Mick said in an interview with Matt Lauer before the LICKS tour that the band would "just know" when it was time to stop. It's time. With this and the sad European sales--especially Germany--it's over. Sorry they had to go out on such a humiliating note.

My apologies to MickSteven. You were right and I was wrong. The attendance was worse than U2's "Lemon" tour. Had I been there, I would have hung my head in embarrasment and shame, no matter how good the show was.

Bye, guys. Too bad no one will care that you're gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-15 04:26 by Jack Knife.

Re: The Empty Stadium In Chicago
Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: October 14, 2006 06:20

dude what are you talking about????

are you smoking crack?

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 14, 2006 06:34

You didnt go. You havent seen anything. All you've read about is that they tarped off the 400s and most of the 300s. That leaves all of the lower bowl and the floor seats filled. Did you see any of the video footage? I know you probably mean everything you typed but man, you're not a fan. Every person I have ever taken to see the Stones for the first time has been converted. They want to go everytime they can, and these are guy/gals in their early 20s (sometimes late teens). If you think the Stones are done then YOURE burntout on them.

-Drake

Posted by: gengiant90 ()
Date: October 14, 2006 06:41

I was there and the boys rocked the house. As cold as it was it did not stop them on putting on a great show. Mick was on fire. Did you see the set list? It had to be the best one of the ABB tour. As for the stadium being empty who cares. It would not bother me if it were a private show for me and my friends. I go to see the Stones because the music and show are great not because they can sell out a stadium. I am hoping for at least one more tour.

Date: October 14, 2006 07:00

half empty stadium? It really is ridiculous to charge $60, $150, $300 and $450 for seats in an outdoor stadium in October in Chicago. Ultimately is is disrespectful to their fans..... Coulda played three nights in United Center, sold 20,000 seats three nights in a row with prices that didn't reach into the stratosphere.....

As far as someone here saying that "it's over" that's just stupid. As far as the local newspapers indicating that the Stones couldn't sell out an outdoor concert at night in October in Chicago for prices that should allow the concert goer a certain amount of luxury and sure as heck didnt - that's stupid.

Is is really true that the Stones couldn't put on a cecent show and make plenty of money by selling out arenas with a top ticket price of $100.00? Knock off some fireworks, kill the balloons, and play great songs greatly. That's really all Stones fans really want. (I think)

They are the greatest show on earth, have been for nearly 40 years - but hoping to sell out a show in a city that has been blessed with a bunch of shows over the past year and a half at night outdoors in October in Chicago is too much.

There were plenty of 20,000 seat arenas sitting empty in the area where a concert goer could have seen a show with dignity and see the band play with dignity as well.

Message to anyone regarding it being over....

It ain't over.... but the Rolling Stones should have hefty bank accounts by now... is it possible that there is no joy in playing anymore unless each gigs gross sets a new world record? apparently so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 07:13 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: October 14, 2006 07:46

I too am appalled by the stories coming out of Chicago. I wasn't there, but I will be at Dodger Stadium - only because I bought a "four pack" and am getting free t-shirts (I was definitely going to sit this one out after the terrible show in Anaheim last year, as well as the prices). We'll just have to see how it goes. The sales here in L.A. are terrible as well, maybe my family and I will be able to pull something off and get down on the floor at some point.

I think this "victory lap" as I'm hearing it called was a missed opportunity to give the fans one last good sendoff - cheaper prices, compelling venues, just some good old fashioned rock for rocks sake - then sail off into the sunset, before all the wheels start falling off.

Then again, maybe it was just the cold....

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 14, 2006 07:49

Well, I am disappointed to hear that Soldier Field wasnt't "sold out" like it could have been, there's no doubt that they can still pack a place. I was at Churchill Downs 2 weeks ago and the crowd was literally elbow-to-elbow there were so many people.

Posted by: Steel_Wheels ()
Date: October 14, 2006 07:55

How are you "appalled" by the stories coming out of Chicago? Which stories? The half empty stadium one? Yes, it was half empty, but that's what happens when you overplay a market. Attendance was not helped by the weather, but that is a crap shoot in early October here. That is the risk you run. The Keith stories? It was very cold, cut the guy a break. They still put on a hell of a show, and were playing with "dignity" as one poster above questioned, whatever the hell that means. Go get some good seats in LA, you'll be glad you did.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 14, 2006 08:00

Casual/young fans left that show knowing that just watched history. No one left hissing at the stage. If they were...than THAT"S when you know it's over. But that didn't happen

25,000 people to see 4 guys? If that's not success--you don't know what you're talking about. To call Soldier Field's show a humiliating is greedy. You just want technicalities ensuring a "SOLD OUT" crowd to define how popular the Stones are. That's garbage. People should let go of that mentality---when no one is showing up for the show that's when you call it quits.

This is their 4th visit...in 20 degree weather...don't be an idiot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 08:00 by Justin.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 14, 2006 08:04

If the weather had been good they would have sold alot more tickets. I think the Stones organization was crazy playing outdoors in Chicago that late in the year, knowing there was an excellent chance everyone would be freezing their asses off. Seems pretty greedy to me. They should have just played the United Center. But it certainly doesn't mean the Stones are "done" or any of that nonesense.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 14, 2006 08:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:37 by cirrhosis.

Date: October 14, 2006 08:45

I attended both Soldier Field shows and what a marked difference in weather. The first time around (9/10/05), the weather was perfect -- one of those nights where the temp was so right you don't even notice the temp. The second time (10/11/06), well you know the rest....What a difference a month can make here in the windy city.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 14, 2006 08:47

They shouldn't do any outdoor shows after Sept. It was chilly in Louisville (and that was even before the rain) and that show was Sept. 29 in a much less northerly location.

Date: October 14, 2006 08:49

I agree, you run way too much risk of encountering foul weather after Sept.

Posted by: H ()
Date: October 14, 2006 09:00

Keith should have changed his set to include This Place Is Empty.

Date: October 14, 2006 09:03

yes, but should have changed it to "This Place is 1/2 Empty", or if he is an optimist, "This place is 1/2 Full". Personally, I'm glad he played YGTS and T&A.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 14, 2006 10:10

Jack Knife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the saddest thing I've ever seen/read
> about in my 40 years of being a Stones fan. Mick
> said in an interview with Matt Lauer before the
> LICKS tour that the band would "just know" when it
> was time to stop. It's time. With this and the
> sad European sales--especially Germany--it's over.
> Sorry they had to go out on such a humiliating
> note.
>
> My apologies to MickSteven. You were right and I
> was wrong. The attendance was worse than U2's
> "Lemon" tour. Had I been there, I would have hung
> my head in embarrrasment and shame, no matter how
> good the show was.
>
> Bye, guys. Too bad no one will care that you're
> gone.

You should hang your head in embarrassment for being such a "drama queen". Please man, attendance worse than "lemon" tour"? Then how do you account for the fact that it is the biggest tour in history?

You think it is some grand hoax that it is the biggest tour of all time? Yeah it is some elaborate conspiracy to make the Stones look good and we knock off anyone who gets close to the truth lol.

Sad European sales? An average of nearly 50k per venue is sad? Yes Chicago attendance was bad due to too many visits in a short time period and bad weather but you don't gross 400 million if people aren't flocking to see you. Look at the forest- not the little twig lying on the ground.

And the academy award for best drama performance in a Rolling Stones forum goes to; Jack Knife. Feel free to mention me in your acceptance speech.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 14, 2006 11:18

Steel_Wheels said

"yes, but should have changed it to "This Place is 1/2 Empty", or if he is an optimist, "This place is 1/2 Full". Personally, I'm glad he played YGTS and T&A."

...or this place is twice as big as it needs to be .

With hindsight it's very easy to say that this leg of the tour should have been exclusively indoor arenas...but twenty odd thousand still turned out in that weather and got a show that the vast majority of them appear to have thoroughly enjoyed.

I don't understand all the hand wringing about this issue...or non-issue as I consider it.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 14, 2006 12:29

ohnonotyouagain (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2006 08:47

They shouldn't do any outdoor shows after Sept. It was chilly in Louisville (and that was even before the rain) and that show was Sept. 29 in a much less northerly location.

Not necessarily. I was in shirt sleeves in both Missoula and at Regina I -- both in October (last week) and in more "northern climes" than Chicago.

H (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2006 09:00

Keith should have changed his set to include This Place Is Empty

That's mean.

Of course, as long as we have THE PLEXIGLASS -- the weather, attendance, everything else, shrinks to the level of irrelevancy.

tim from Plexiglass, montana

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 14, 2006 15:40

What is all this talk about empty or half empty stadiums? I did attend 9 shows on the bigger bang tour, as far as I remember they were all packed. Some few seats in Berlin was not sold out, but both shows at Giants were packed. San Siro, Stade de France, both Twickenham shows and Bergen + MSG completely full. I was there. A Bigger Bang tour is the most attended tour in rock history, next to Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: October 14, 2006 15:56

Mick: "Some years you go up, other you go down". Quote circa 1994 (Voodoo Lounge) regarding ticket sales.

The Stones have worked the Chicago market a lot over the last year, so its not surprising they didn't sell out. (and the stadium wasn't "empty", but HALF FULL!!)

What really matters is that the band sounded good and were in great spirits despite the frigid temps!!! They are professionals.

I would have loved to go, but I've been sick and in bed with a bad cold....I'll just have to wait for the bootleg: "In a Cold Chicago Night!".

redrum

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:01

Ticketsales in Germany were bad because of the worldcup. The Stones` ticketsales are always weak in the country were the worldcup is. In the end the Stones played five well attended concerts, with ticketprices like this nobody can sellout a stadium. Hopefully there will be some other great shows next year.

Date: October 14, 2006 16:04

The Worst. Wrote:
> What is all this talk about empty or half empty
> stadiums?

The 2005 IORR review page lists the September 10, 2005 Soldier Field capacity as 60,000.

YET,

The 2006 IORR review page lists the October 11, 2006 Soldier Field capacity as 30,000.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:08

Why makes everything relative to big $$$. I love the stones because they are a good rock and roll band. Who cares if they don't fill up the stadium!! Imagine if instead of playing the stadium they had sold out 2 times a small arena in Chicago. People will think that they are successful. So $$$ don't matter. It is the music and the music is still very good so they should keep on playing.
MOPS

Date: October 14, 2006 16:27

H Wrote:
> The Worst. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is all this talk about empty or half empty
> > stadiums?
>
>
> The 2005 IORR review page lists the September 10,
> 2005 Soldier Field capacity as 60,000.
>
> YET,
>
> The 2006 IORR review page lists the October 11,
> 2006 Soldier Field capacity as 30,000.

OK, so it's one show out of how many sold out shows? 140 000 tickets were sold for 4 shows in Chicago during the same tour. How many band could have done that? Selling 30 000 tickets for an outdoor gig in Chicago in the middle of october is not bad.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:38

Exactly! I just wonder why people here are so negative now. Especially the Americans. We've told then that EUROPE is HOME for our boys, and this shows it. So welcome home next spring, gentlemen!

Date: October 14, 2006 16:44

Agree with you The Worst. The ABB tour overall is the largest ever and I am happy to have been able to attend several shows to date and one more next month.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:44

I was at the Chicago (Soldier Field) show.
It was my 7th Stones show (2 at Alpine Valley, 2 in Madison & 2 in Milwaukee).

Due to the weather and crowd size it was a somewhat surreal experience.
Thank God they didn't attempt to sell 400 level tickets...people would have
been blown out of the stadium. Scheduling a show in mid October (in the Midwest)
is a gamble. (Oct 1997 B2B concert in Madison...temps were 75-80 degrees)

My wife and I raced down to the show from Milwaukee in our long underwear and
winter coats. We were in the lower bowl on Keith's side between the main stage and the b-stage. The crowd did not seem fazed by the weather at all.

Some of the surreal aspects of the show: The wind seemed to be swirling the soundwaves around......the Stones were dressed for snowmobiling.......the
relatively small loyal crowd was screaming their appreciation because their
muffled mittened applause could not be heard. Soldier Field felt like an island
in the middle of Lake Michigan! An awesome experience with highlights like
SHE WAS HOT / MONKEY MAN / SWAY / LITTLE T&A and UNDER MY THUMB.

I can understand how some first-timers may have been disappointed. To pay
hundreds of dollars for tickets to stand out in the cold while Keith and
Ron huddled around Charlie like a couple of 9 to 5ers on a cigarette break
on a Monday morning. Know what I mean? Keith rarely braved the cold winds to venture out on the ramps. It was not typical. But this is also what made
it special. The world's greatest rock & roll band playing under unique
circumstances with a great setlist.

I'll be there when they play Antarctica!

Date: October 14, 2006 16:53

H Wrote:
> Agree with you The Worst. The ABB tour overall is
> the largest ever and I am happy to have been able
> to attend several shows to date and one more next
> month.

Really? I know ABB tour is the largest grossing tour ever, but I thought VL had more people attending. Almost 6 million sold tickets. Nothing is even close.
VL used to be the largest grossing tour ever with ticket sales income for about £320 million world wide. ABB sold tickets for £162 million in the first leg of NOrth America, so it's definitely larger than VL regarding income.

Based on very fast research:

LARGEST GROSSING TOURS
1.Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge 1994/95
£320 millions

2.U2 - Vertigo 2005
£260 millions

3.Pink Floyd - Division Bell 1994
£250 millions

4.Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon 1997/1998
£

5.Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels/UJ 1989/90
£145 millions

6.U2 - Elevation 2001
$135 millions

MOST ATTENDED TOURS
1.Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge
6 585 000

2.Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang
???

3.Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle
5 600 000

4.Pink Floyd - Division Bell
5 500 000

5.Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon

5.Rolling Stones Licks
3 600 000

6.U2 Vertigo
3 000 000

I don't if all numbers are correct, I have doubts for the Licks tour total crowd. But I know for a fact about Voodoo Lounge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 16:58 by The Worst..

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:54

sweet neo con Wrote:

Keith> rarely braved the cold winds to venture out on the
> ramps. It was not typical.

Actually, Keith ventured down the ramps twice; one on each side. Last year at Soldier he did the right side once and missed the left one altogether.

Disconcerting that I even know that...

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home