Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Worst guitar lead of all time
Posted by: GShelter ()
Date: October 11, 2006 00:02

Sorry guys I would have to pick. George's lead in All You Need Is Love. It almost sounds like it get's cut off. For such a talented guy what happened there? Also anything by Neil Young. Any thoughts?

Re: Worst guitar lead of all time
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 11, 2006 00:47

I can't hear the lead in my head right now because the headphones are cranking but George does a good lead there. It has that very Beatl-ish counter timing. If there should be any abrupt cut it might be due to the early Beatles editing. they were pretty radical back then on their 4-trackers.
I tell you a lead I HATEW is the ending of "Hotel California". That dual, bad harmonized noodling...Oh I hate when two guitars start playing fixed lead lines in thirds. When they start doing that "diddle diddly diddly wooo.." Lynard Skynard! There is your prime culprit!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 11, 2006 00:54

Ronnie Wood, 1978 King Biscuit Flower Hour, Jumping Jack Flash...totally misses the key, and goes with it...just listened to it 5 minutes ago...otherwise, a great broadcast.....

JR

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 11, 2006 00:56

The worst guitar lead of all time would be something none of us on this site would know and in all likelihood have never heard, as it would more than likely have been played by a guitarist in a virtually unknown band who was lucky to have even got a record deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-11 01:01 by Halup.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 11, 2006 01:37

The worst of all time? Who knows. Who cares? Perhaps the worst of the Stones' recorded output is found on that holy lament, You Can't Always Get What You Want on Love You Live. It begins with an interesting reading from Jagger...the band plays it restrained [aside from Billy Preston's idiotic piano ramblings]...then Ron Wood's guitar solo...and the entire spectacle takes on a pathetic hue. The carcass of the song slams to the ground...Ronnie drags it though the ground, cascading note after cascading note...and the longer the solo goes the worst it gets. It exposes him as completely uncreative as a soloist. Jagger puts a stake though the song's heart heart with a chorus sing-along. Jesus. Christ. Almighty. Thank God punk kicked the Stones in the ass and made them dangerous again. This was a nadir.

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2006 01:59

I've always thought that the solo on "Blinded by rainbows" was pretty hamfisted. Could never understand why they felt that added to the song in any way

Posted by: Sugar Brown ()
Date: October 11, 2006 02:17

do you dream at night
do you sleep at night
I doubt it

the worst? santana europa
no more!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 11, 2006 02:18

Turd On The Run Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The worst of all time? Who knows. Who cares?
> Perhaps the worst of the Stones' recorded output
> is found on that holy lament, You Can't Always Get
> What You Want on Love You Live. It begins with an
> interesting reading from Jagger...the band plays
> it restrained ...then Ron Wood's guitar solo...and
> the entire spectacle takes on a pathetic hue. The
> carcass of the song slams to the ground...Ronnie
> drags it though the ground, cascading note after
> cascading note...and the longer the solo goes the
> worst it gets. It exposes him as completely
> uncreative as a soloist. Jagger puts a stake
> though the song's heart heart with a chorus
> sing-along. Jesus. Christ. Almighty. Thank God
> punk kicked the Stones in the ass and made them
> dangerous again. This was a nadir.

Oh, yeah -- spoken like a true Ronnie hater.

OK, to give the turd a bit of credit, that was NOT the most inspired choice of YCAGWYW's from the wealth of great Ronnie performances in 1975, most notably at the LA Forum. Nevertheless, your critique was a bit harsh. Have you heard the aforementioned boots?

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 11, 2006 03:18

You can't pin point the best or worst of anything when it comes to music because all music is subjective. Don't get me wrong though, some things are obviously better than others. I love Nirvana - but man, some of Kurt's leads...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2006 03:45

Neil Young's solo may sound "out of tune" or "dissonant". But they are full of emotion, which is equally important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-11 04:53 by Koen.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 11, 2006 03:48

If we stick to studio records, the "cast-in-bronze-forever" syndrome... The subject can be relevant!

Martin Barre on "A New Day Yesterday" ("Stand Up" LP) is awful! Sounds "fresh" right from the Clapton school of little rockers or something and scared shitless! Very bad presentation... For a guy that turned out so great just a little later, and with multiple strengths!

But then Ian Anderson himself as lead FLUTE put out an incredibly abysmal dud on the previous album with "Serenade to a Cuckoo". I was spinning this the other day and couldn't believe it... So poorly executed and uninspired choice of notes!!

But listen to "Stormy Monday Blues" on the other hand...

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 11, 2006 04:52

baassplayer617 wrote,

"Oh, yeah -- spoken like a true Ronnie hater. OK, to give the turd a bit of credit, that was NOT the most inspired choice of YCAGWYW's from the wealth of great Ronnie performances in 1975, most notably at the LA Forum. Nevertheless, your critique was a bit harsh. Have you heard the aforementioned boots?"

I do not hate Ronnie. I see him for what he is. No more, no less. I have the boots and you're absolutely correct. The 1975 TOTA was perhaps Woody's high-point with the Stones - he was really good...ok some of his vicious 'weaving' with Keef on the 1978 tour was also awesome...but the solo I describe was from June 1976 in Paris on that summer's tour...and his playing had degenerated markedly from a year earlier...listen to the boots...by that time he had also fallen deep into the drug miasma and sloppy playing that characterized that tour. And his solo was an insulting abomination on a masterpiece...literally a massacre and rape of a gorgeous beauty.

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 11, 2006 04:59

well that is your opinion, for me I love the version of YCAGWYW from Love You Live....tough funcky playful version. LOVE IT!

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: October 11, 2006 06:31

"Cinnamon Girl" is kind of cheesy, since its like a one note solo..and for some reason people praise that lead part. Odd, when you consider Neil's emotional leads on songs like Cortez the Killer.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: October 11, 2006 07:47

Gazza Wrote:
> I've always thought that the solo on "Blinded by
> rainbows" was pretty hamfisted. Could never
> understand why they felt that added to the song in
> any way

Yeah, that solo sucks. Maybe Ronnie was drunk?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 11, 2006 11:10

Take a good look at Brians face when he's playing 'Satisfaction'.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 11, 2006 11:44

Turd

The only bad thing about the LYL version of YCAGWYW is that it was cut short!

C

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 11, 2006 11:47

Anythin' by Toto, Queen-B.May, 80's hair- or poodle rock.

Europe (esp.) of today is also really really awful, just note posin.

I'm glad to see Chelseya always awakes me philosophical sides...
Talk about Skynyrd... The meanest, sleaziest, rocknrolliest guitars
ever recorded is at their studio alums from 1972-75.
I reckon ya talk about their live cuts.
But, here-s the crucial question: What is the essence of a band -
Live or Studio? (I might elevate this to a own thread later)...

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: October 11, 2006 12:05

Neil Innes' great guitar solo on Canyons Of Your Mind (Bonzo Dog Band) is really cringeworthy but it was done like that on purpose.

Posted by: florinda ()
Date: October 11, 2006 12:57

Keith has got a few terrible ones on, for example, Gimme shelter during the 1969 tour.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 11, 2006 13:30

deuce Wrote:
> You can't pin point the best or worst of anything
> when it comes to music because all music is
> subjective. Don't get me wrong though, some things
> are obviously better than others. I love Nirvana -
> but man, some of Kurt's leads...

But they were good, I mean they werent supposed to be anything more than a melody or something. He was a talent really.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 11, 2006 14:31

a lot of Ron wood's leads since 1990 tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-11 14:31 by Rik.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 11, 2006 14:57

Baboon this in turn awakes this thougt I ofetn get here. It's about how certain bands come off completely differently, considering from where you are listening; or living. I grew up in Europe and I recall I loved some US bands until I moved over here and "understood" them in a totally new light. I all of the sudden "got" certain lyrical lines and they lost all glitter. There are great woirks created with this awe. U2 wrote "Joshua Tree" withn this marvel of the USA in heart. Or watching John Lydon talk about the US Sex Pistols tour and for once the guy is totally without irony and slight. Like a little kid tlaking about the "huge vast spaces. We couldn't quit looking out the windows. Never wanted to sleep".
By the same token I have often seen heartland stoners get completely wrpped up in a British band that sings with a Cockney accent. And that alone is enough to make it exotic and intersting. When at hom,e they might be laughed off the stage.
And when I erad about Skynard from a Non US point of view I always see them regarded in a totally different light. Over here they have by now reached a certain status mainly by just hanging in there and still being around. But those wellfed Southern Boys are about as far from rebel Rock as you cna get. And those lead lines..I don't know if you';ve sat through any of their interminable lead trade offs on "Sweet Home".
The solo in "Blinded by rainbow" is one of my least favorite too. It's not just the solo itself. I remember the first time I heard the song. And one could hear that solo coming way before it ever happened. The change to a minor chord and exactly that kind of cranbk up at the beginning. Not only does it suck; it is totally predictbale. maybe the same thing.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: October 11, 2006 15:03

The worst leads were done by the poodle rockers of the 80s. "Thanks" to Eddie Van Halen. Everybody was tapping - it didn't matter how the song was - the tapping had to be included smiling smiley No wonder the 90s brought us lots of rock bands that didn't play guitar solos at all...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 11, 2006 15:14

Well, if we accept few presuppostions of the solo in hand:
(a) It needs to be performed by a 'serious' band or act, not any bloody local combo in a garage next door.
(b) It needs to be played by a guitarist whose role is to play solos in his band.
Then, honestly, can really anyone say that anwser is NOT to be found anywhere else than from our beloved band (Ronnie probably winns, because Keith can always escape behind his "I am not really a solo guitarist" label). I mean, honestly - can anyone 'explain' Ronnie's achviements (in lastt decade or something) as a great soloing?? There are some quite embarrassing moments involved, taking by ANY criteria.

- Doxa

Date: October 11, 2006 15:25

True, but I think Ronnie has improved on this tour. Now, Keith is more of the problem. His sense of when to solo or not has completely vanished imo.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 11, 2006 15:52

Eh? From when????

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: October 11, 2006 16:05

all Ibanez guitarist's leads

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 11, 2006 16:18

it was keith lead solo on, ain't too proud to beg!
from iorr album...

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 11, 2006 16:29

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> The worst leads were done by the poodle rockers of
> the 80s. "Thanks" to Eddie Van Halen. Everybody
> was tapping - it didn't matter how the song was -
> the tapping had to be included smiling smiley No wonder the
> 90s brought us lots of rock bands that didn't play
> guitar solos at all...

Agree! Tappers.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1457
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home