Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Bergen updates
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2006 16:27

Nice review STP....I'm always happy to read about Ronnie's great solos. He certainly has found a new gear, that boy.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 3, 2006 16:33

Thanks Erik_Snow. Did you attend the consert?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2006 16:49

No, I didn't. I saw them in England and Scotland, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-03 17:08 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 3, 2006 17:25

An afternoon shot of the concert site, before the gates were opened.
Photo by Marit Hommedal/SCANPIX.

Date: September 3, 2006 17:36

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, I didn't. I saw them in England and Scotland,
> though.

Thats cool, I know they were good shows!
It's so good to know that the band stil delivers. Anyway if you haven't seen it, there is a clip of JJF and ONNYA on VG (nett) from Bergen...

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: September 3, 2006 18:09

Ron was back and did great guitar job, and Mick has a better voice than for years. I felt the audience could have been louder, but the band did better than I've ever seen before. And the fireworks at the end were just terrific! I've never seen anything like it.

I came inside at 18:30 and could walk to the right of the stage, and got all the way up to the stage. I'm so glad I didn't spend the whole day standing in line waiting. It was so much better with my 175 cm, being able to see everything on the stage. Though I didn't see Charlie before he slided on to the smaller stage.

If I miss anything at all, that would be Gimme Shelter or Monkey Man with Lisa Fischer.

The intro and JJF kick-started the show, and the heartbeat turned up to 150 strokes per minute I guess.
Then right on to IORR with great clips from the video on the screen.
LSTNT and ONNYA continued my jumping up and down, and I had to stop to get back my breath.

All Down The Line was a surprise, and a good livesong. And for us who love slow songs, Streets Of Love was beautiful. The best since Thru And Thru 3 years ago in Globen.

Keith with his cigarette, you can see how he enjoy just standing there. Slipping Away and Before They Make Me Run were filled with really good vocals and great guitar solos from both Keith and Ron.

Standing in the front row we missed most of the center-stage performance, but Start Me Up was a killer out there. That's probably one of their best live-songs.
And of course the Norwegians love Honky Tonk, and with the small stage sliding back, there were 20.000 voices singing along, and you could smell the beer all the way...

Tumbling Dice and Sympathy For The Devil were other highlights for me.

And the Brown Sugar intro made the audience explode, though we all were soaked wet because of the rain.

Extra numbers YCAGWW and Satisfaction made me want another hour in the rain. Just great. And like I said it ended in a really Big Bang and the stage covered in smoke.

Hope for a Scandinavian show in 2007 too smiling smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 3, 2006 18:22

Thanks for the reviews and the pics.

Date: September 3, 2006 21:33

Just hope somebody recorded the show...

Posted by: rocknroll ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:23

me too. It was great!

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:33

If Jesus came walking on the water during the Stones-concert in Bergen, no one would have cared

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:38

OK, loooong post coming up. Just a warning. ;-)

I went straight from the Stones in Bergen on Friday to Dum Dum Boys (Norwegian rock band, probably our best ever, and most likely Norway´s "Stones") in Hamar on Saturday! I am sorry I did not get to meet you guys, except from seeing the Stones Vikings and meeting Mickijaggeroo (hei Vilhelm!). My friend, definitely a Stones virgin, and I were at Logen before the show as it seemed pretty quiet at Dickens. As the weather seemed very good (a bit of sun and not too many clouds) we decided not to bring lots of rain wear (only rain ponchoes) and wear other shoes. Bad decision, LOL!

We came around 1815-1830 and easily got second row at the very front of the b-stage! I had never been this close and was quite amazed. It became extremely crowded and I could hardly stand on my own feet during the show (had to make sure to move my feet a little so they would not "fall asleep"). But we had perfect view, facing the stage over the catwalk. The audience found Mick´s Norwegian/bergensk very charming and it was much appreciated. The guys were in great shape and my friend said that Mick must be made of rubber due to all his movements. :-) I was so happy to hear All down the line! Heard it in Portland, OR last year and loved to hear it again. I think the crowd was quite good, singing along and all. I was surrounded by Stones virgins though, so not in my "section" - except for the guys in front of me and further behind us.

Then the rain came. Not really a problem although it was not very practical with glasses... Midnight Rambler was just incredible! I had hoped to hear it again and so I was satisfied. Ronnie was introduced as the "Renoir of Rock", he got a biiiig cheer and people (me included) yelled "Ronnie! Ronnie!" Same for Charlie and of course Keith. Keith obviously had the Glasgow smoking fine thingy in mind, because he did a seriously long inhalation of his cigarette and took his time to blow it out again! People laughed and applauded, and he gave us his famous grin and laughter. Loved it! He said hi, apologized for the weather (and said that there are certain things we cannot do anything about, how true) and started his set. He didn´t say "Tusen takk" this time as he did in 98, but one has to love this guy. His sense of humour and general behaviour is so cool!

Then the b-stage, and the rain was falling heavily just now of course. The guys were only 2 meters or so away, facing us! It was so amazing that I could almost have died. I could not believe they were this close to me. Don´t think Keith saw my "Keith: Too tough!" poster though. Think I may have fallen into a trance, seeing them right in front of me! The Stones had fun with the crowd and the rain, smiling and laughing to each other and us. Absolutely wonderful, words fail me! Sound was not too good there though, but I did not focus on that during those songs...

Sympathy was a real winner with the crowd. Singing Whoo Hoo before the song started and continuing to sing throughout. I had crossed fingers and toes for Paint it black, never having heard it live before. So imagine my utter joy finally getting to hear it, almost cried of happiness. :-) Brown sugar, YCAGWYW and Satisfaction ended the show and I could only hear positive remarks from everyone around me although many were soaked. However, I was not too wet until we started to walk back to the hotel. Being so crowded and wearing my rain poncho did the trick, my feet were dry during the show and only my arms were wet to the skin from the applauding with my arms stretched up. My friend was happy and bought Forty Licks the following day. She was pleased seeing them up close. So, another great Stones show. Hoping for my 13th show and more next year?!

BTW, shidoobee, I think it was you - I was at the airport at the same time as you on Sat. Maybe you remember that I also talked with you at Schiphol, waiting for our luggage upon arrival?

Hmmm, sorry for the long post... So much on my mind! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-03 22:45 by LQ1977.

Ronnie be good?
Posted by: BikeDude ()
Date: September 4, 2006 00:14

Tekumseh Wrote:
> Ron was back and did great guitar job, and Mick

I don't recall Ron moving to the right side of the stage. So I didn't see him much, and he seemed to struggle initially with Streets of Love I think it was? (but I'm no guitar player and maybe it was done on purpose?)

But it was certainly a night to remember. Now, if only they had brought the big flame throwers they used at Twickenham! smiling smiley

I'd also like to take this opportunity to flame the arrangers. It made no difference what kind of ticket you bought, and it was painful to leave the area after the concert. A week before I was at Twickenham and it was much easier to leave the area despite the four times larger crowd. Not usually that important, but with the rain and all it was a bad ending to an otherwise great evening. (I didn't notice any rain during the concert, but afterwards the rain was really annoying)

Rune

Bergen review (my first ever - third concert though)
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 4, 2006 10:05

Saturday evening (September 2nd) I got back from The Official Ending for Summer 2006 (for mesmiling smiley my trip to see the Stones in Bergen.

I´m at a loss for superlatives. It was just beautiful. The city is so pretty with all the mountains and old wooden houses, you don´t see that in Finland, especially in Southern Finland where it´s all flat and not many hills at all.

I arrived at Bergen on Thursday, went to my apartment at Strangebakken where a nice old lady rented her _basement room_ for me - I didn´t have a needle or a spoon there, though! grinning smiley

Felt pretty tired after two flights (Helsinki-Oslo, Oslo-Bergen), but decided to get out and see the town a little. There had been talk about Dickens being the place to meet other Stones fans. So I went there to grab a bite to eat. The food was good but sooo expensive. Well, what are you gonna do? It´s Norway, you know. After the dinner I went next door to Logen where they had this "Vorspiel" going on, they were showing old Stones DVD´s and playing CD´s. I saw parts of Rock´n´Roll Circus (hilarious to see Brian Jones like SO out of it in the end!) and Let´s Spend The Night Together. Woo, Little T & A and all!

Stayed at Logen, sitting, drinking, superficially thinking about the next day and the venue. I then got some grocerys at 7-11 as my apartment didn´t offer breakfast. Then I decided to go case the joint - the concert venue at Koengen. I walked the Bryggen and past the Stones´ hotel and went to the venue where they were building the stage and testing the lights. Went around the Sverreborg Castle park and to the place where the entrance would be. Then headed back to my apartment and got a good night´s sleep. Was too tired to be anxious and lose sleep...

The following morning. This was the day! This could be the last time! Anxiety starts building up. I cook breakfast and hit the Koengen at about 8 AM. There were already three Swedish guys there and I´m like, "I´m number four!". As soon as I got there it started raining for a while and I had to put on my raincoat. The rain fell down - just for a minute. I joked about the Finn coming and bringing the rain with him. The three Swedish guys were just great. The oldest of them, Dan-Ove, actually came to be the "organizer" for the whole queueing thing, writing numbers on people´s hands and telling them to be there every full hour. Some even thought he was working for the concert arrangers =)

I guess the Norwegians just aren´t used to events of this scale. I mean, at 2 PM there were only about a hundred people waiting in the queue. The waiting itself went pretty fast. We talked Stones, music, sports...there was an American couple from Shidoobee and a guy from the Netherlands. (Hi and thanks if you´re reading this!)

They were supposed to let us in at 5 PM but there was a slight delay because the stage wasn´t ready - or that´s at least what we were told. Then we got in in the # order. Us first four guys, the Three Swedes and me, got first row spots on Keith´s side. Priceless! Just what I wanted!

Maximo Park opened and it started raining. First a little, then some heavier showers. People took out their raincoats and ponchos. I had had a bad back for a week and all that waiting and standing didn´t help. I could sit and lean against the fence. I was right in the corner by the railing for the moving stage. Anxiety built up. The Stones were late, I guess they waited for it to get dark before they went on at around 9.25 PM (correct me if I´m wrong BV). Keef came on and grinned at us.

Jumping Jack Flash! What can I say? Mick looked great and the sound even at FOS was surprisingly clear and good. I could have listened even without the ear plugs I had. The Stones looked like they were enjoying themselves. 5/5

It's Only Rock'n Roll - a bit of confusion in the beginning, dunno why. The audience didn´t really sing much at the end despite Mick trying to work them. An OK version. 3/5

Oh No Not You Again - I love this tune. Mick forgot some of the lyrics though. 4/5.

Let's Spend The Night Together - love it! Mick messes up a little in the end (sings when he wasn´t supposed to), but that was all right. 4/5

All Down The Line - the surprise of the night. No Sway though. Tempo was good, the horns come in, Kent Smith and Michael Davis wave their instruments and nod at me when I try to get their attention by waving and smiling. Great tune! 4/5

Streets Of Love - never liked it much, but it works as a live ballad I guess. People got out their lighters and cell phones. Good version with no f-ckups. I´ll give it 5/5 for the atmosphere.

Midnight Rambler - first time for me! Third time is the charm. Mick was really having fun. Superb version. 5/5. Can´t wait to hear the bootleg. Mick saved his harmonica and Keef started the opening riff quickly.

Tumbling Dice - Keith is winking and grinning at me in the beginning. Good stuff. Someone should bottle and sell it! I know, I know, it´s a warhorse - but stil Nice version. I don´t know why Mick sings "the lone crap shooter" verse twice these days. 4/5

Introductions - I guess Mick tries to speak some Norwegian about Lisa´s dress. The stage is so high you don´t really see the people that much from the first row.

Slipping Away - Wow, the Keef set. Was kinda hoping for This Place Is Empty but i´ll settle for my second SA. 5/5. "Gold rings on you."

Before They Make Me Run - Keef has been messing up either with the lyrics or the riffs on this one in Europe, but this version was the best I heard, even if he did kinda get in a hurry with the opening cue (he was too far away from the mike). 5/5. Rock´n roll.

Miss You - (to B-stage) I wave and point at Keef and he´s all smiles. Darryl gives me a nod. I have become to like this song again and just look up in the sky when the band is in the B-stage. I let the rain fall on my face and just drift away. I kiss my engagement ring several times. 5/5.

Rough Justice - great stuff, a rocking version of a good song. 5/5. I am hoping for them to get back to the main stage though.

Start Me Up - don´t love this one, they could have tried something rare IMO. 3/5.

Honky Tonk Women (to main stage) - can´t wait for them to come back. This time, Keef is not looking at me, he´s playing with his eyes closed, just having fun and looking concentrated.

Sympathy For The Devil - if I had to pick a favorite song, this would be the one, I think. Paint it Black was in 1998 a song I had hoped they would play in Helsinki, and they did. Sympathy has a special place in my heart because in 2003, Keef gave me his guitar pick after having played Sympathy with it. He gave it to me coming down the stairs to the catwalk. Standard version of Sympathy, nice solo by Keef. 4/5.

Paint It Black - still love it. Say no more. 5/5.

Brown Sugar - the "last one", I can see Keith actually singing the opening lines with Mick. Keef looks and winks at me on several occasions, especially in the "yeah-yeah-yeah-woo!" part in the end. 5/5

You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore) - nothing special here. Was I tired? Dunno, but funny enough, I seemed to just cruise through this one. 3/5.

Satisfaction (encore) - Keef is playing the wrong string in the opening riff (on purpose???) - not a favorite song but of course they gotta play it. The song DOES become even more special for me because in the end Keef is again smiling and grinning at me, and throws his pick at me! I drop it, but a security worker which I had been talking to a few times over the course of the evening gives it to me. I was quick to lean over the fence and ask for the pick. 6/5 !!!

Wow. Another Keef pick, second time in a row, three years between shows! If it´s not a world record then it´s a national record. And I was not doped.

Or maybe I was. A Stones concert live is like a drug I guess. You´re having so much fun. Wow!

First review I have ever written here. I really, really hope it won´t be my last. Maybe the last time, I don´t know, oh, no.

Great! Kjempefint! Kanon! Mahtavaa!

4/9 in Helsinki, Finland

-Topi

Date: September 4, 2006 11:44

I tried to recognize IORR-members, both at Rick's and Dickens without succeeding. What a great vorspiel it was at the pub besides Dickens, showing Let's Spend The Night Together and Miami 1994!

However, I meet Vilhelm and Robert from The Stones Vikings - great guys (Thanks for the cigarettes, Robert smiling smiley )

DP

Date: September 4, 2006 12:15

I missed that Miami 1994 show, but I´ve got it on VHS myself. Wasn´t it the official Voodoo Lounge video?

Had never seen Let´s Spend The Night Together though it was shown in the Finnish National Movie Archives last year.

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: September 4, 2006 20:17

Came to think of it - Bergen really was historical...

This must have been the first time in Scandinavia that a Stones show started after dark!

Thank you guys for waiting out those last few minutes!

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: September 5, 2006 18:00

Did anybody notice that Woody played the slide licks on All Down The Line NOT on slide, but with his fingers on the frets? He used his slide on the main solo, but not on the in between licks. Is this the way he normally plays it on this tour?

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 5, 2006 18:38

Hi Topi,

Great review!
Will make one myself too when i got all organised again.. have written so much down during this tour... went to 13 concerts and a lot did happen...
but i guess i do have some time before the stones are back in europe again since im not going to northern america... (as it seems now, a lot can change lol).

-Menno

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 5, 2006 18:44

Anderson Wrote:
> Did anybody notice that Woody played the slide licks on All Down The Line NOT on slide, but with his fingers on the frets? He used his slide on the main solo, but not on the in between licks. Is this the way he normally plays it on this tour?

I noticed it too. First time I heard ADTL this tour.

Date: September 6, 2006 10:41

Hi Menno! Did you smoke all your cigarettes during the gig? winking smiley

Menno went to 13 concerts on his credit cards. winking smiley Always the plastic LOL.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 6, 2006 10:52

Great review, Topi.
I'll get in touch with ya soon!

Posted by: Askøy ()
Date: September 6, 2006 21:48

Did someone get an autograph from some of the members in Stones when they visit Bergen ?

I did,Darryl,Blondie and Bernard .

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 6, 2006 22:06

Askøy Wrote:
> Did someone get an autograph from some of the
> members in Stones when they visit Bergen ?
>
> I did,Darryl,Blondie and Bernard .

They´re not members of the Stones.

Re: Ronnie be good?
Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: September 6, 2006 23:54

BikeDude Wrote:
> Tekumseh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ron was back and did great guitar job, and Mick
>
> I don't recall Ron moving to the right side of the
> stage. So I didn't see him much, and he seemed to
> struggle initially with Streets of Love I think it
> was? (but I'm no guitar player and maybe it was
> done on purpose?)
>
> But it was certainly a night to remember. Now, if
> only they had brought the big flame throwers they
> used at Twickenham! smiling smiley
>
> I'd also like to take this opportunity to flame
> the arrangers. It made no difference what kind of
> ticket you bought, and it was painful to leave the
> area after the concert. A week before I was at
> Twickenham and it was much easier to leave the
> area despite the four times larger crowd. Not
> usually that important, but with the rain and all
> it was a bad ending to an otherwise great evening.
> (I didn't notice any rain during the concert, but
> afterwards the rain was really annoying)

Ron wasn't on the right side of the stage at all. And his trouble on Streets of love is because the song were played a lot slower than the studio-version. And the octave-thing he's doing is very hard to play. I bet he did it in two or more takes on the album...

And yes, it took half an hour to get out of Koengen. In the wind and rain.

A giant flame-thrower was used in Oslo 98. I remember the whole place got heated up smiling smiley

But all in all I loved the concert. Hope there will be a boot soon...

Date: September 7, 2006 13:06

I was standing on the just right of the center og the stage in front. Ron did move over to Darryl on one or two occations.
Ron's solos on SMU, TD, ADTL was absolutely horrible, out of tune and timing. It was reinforced by the fact that we got the guitars so loud so close to the stage and amps, but never the less. And why dis Ronnie play the little slide fills (not the main solo, which was played with slide) on ADTL with his fingers on the frets instead of his beloved slide? Does he normally do this?

Date: September 7, 2006 13:09

PS! Sorry about the typos; guess I'm no better than Ronnie when I try to do it quick on the keyboard...

Date: September 7, 2006 16:10

<Ron's solos on SMU, TD, ADTL was absolutely horrible, out of tune and timing>

TD yes, but not ADTL? Standing next to the B-stage made it impossible to listen to anything on SMU. We got Charlie's drums from the main PA in delay, not at all synced with the extremely loud B-stage monitors and PA. How did the b-stage set sound for you placed in other locations?

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: September 7, 2006 16:21

mickijaggeroo Wrote:
> Askøy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Did someone get an autograph from some of the
> > members in Stones when they visit Bergen ?
> >
> > I did,Darryl,Blondie and Bernard .
>
>
> They´re not members of the Stones.

Goooooooooooooooooood point (though maybe debatable with Darryl!)

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: September 7, 2006 16:46

From just below the main stage, the sound actually became more balanced as they moved closer to the B-stage. We got rid of the disturbing amps on stage. But of course, much less entertaining for us whan we couldn't see'em, not even on the screen, like listening to a live record, really.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home