Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stupid, "Their Too Old" Statement
Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:18

The people who say that, need to be shot! How come the people who say this, don't mention Paul Mccartney, he's older than Mick! or Eric Clapton or Ray Davies, etc. I just don't get it!

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Re: The Stupid, "Their Too Old" Statement
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:24

Theres a certain amount of ageism against bands as opposed to solo artists because its seen as a bit ludicrous that a bunch of guys in their 60's are still in a 'gang'. Not by me, I hasten to add. Its also because the Stones are in unique territory because no other band has taken it that far at that level of success

If you read interviews with Jagger around the mid 80;s, that 'old gang' mentality is something hes definitely having a dilemma in coming to terms with. Thankfully he got over his mid life crisis.

and Macca, Clapton, Ray Davies etc dont get the same crap because a) they dont wiggle their arse onstage and b) they dont shag models young enough to be their granddaughter

Mick gets it because of the old 'peter pan' complex. Frustrating for journalists who wanted to be rock stars but who werent talented enough and who feel envious at someone twice their age still doing what they can only dream of being capable of doing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-30 03:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: beast of burden ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:25

Spot on Gazza!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:31

Frustrating for journalists who wanted to be rock stars but who werent talented enough and who feel envious at someone twice their age still doing what they can only dream of being capable of doing>>>>>>>>>GAZZA WROTE

YEAH YEAH that's it Gazza....Bald ...over weight...and
sitting at home watchin' the missus knit booties for the
grand kids will always bring out the worst jealousy in a guy....AHHHH gimmie shelter

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2006 03:35

Too old?? Boulderdash.
Many people in their 20's aren't in as good as shape as Mick and The Boys. I was amazed while I watched Mick at the Hershey show, repeatedly running back and forth and not gasping for air even once. They displayed such energy that night (and at the 2 other shows I saw as well).
It's not like any of us are getting any younger either!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: July 30, 2006 04:07

It's the most rude thing you'll ever hear said about a musician: "hang up the guitar, because quite frankly, you're too old." When it comes from fans and fellow musicians, i'm sure it stings even more.

They're throwing up arms for you to do an encore one minute, and the next they're drawing the curtain forcibly on you, because they see something callow in your image. It's a statement on the reverence we hold for those who have made strides and given us culture.

Look at the old rock and blues musicians - B.B. King, Chuck Berry. Though they may have aged, they still make it out to do a set for however long they can. But simply think - somewhere out there, in that audience, there's probably someone seeing them for the first time, learning something new - HEARING something they've never heard before. It's an experience you can't put into words or attempt to quantify in some fashion. Knowledge transcends age - if you were there for something, or created something, is the creative act diminished because your fingers are arthritic and can't quite hold down a chord? NO.

We owe it to all musicians who are getting on in their years to keep coming and hearing them, because they've given so much to us. Just as they (in a way) have an obligation to continue playing until their last breath, because they're making a contribution - they're changing lives.

I speak not only of the Stones, but of musicians in general. It's disparaging to hear remarks that people are even past their prime. Well who's to decide a "prime?" It's merely a permutation on a musical act that started and is now something new. The Rolling Stones of 2006 cannot be compared to The Rolling Stones of 1997, 1981, 1972 or any other year because they have fundamentally changed - stylistically, emotionally in the places their music comes from, and in various other ways.

Do we as "regular" people have a prime? I've never heard of anyone saying to another that they should give up on life because they're too old. It's ludicrious. You owe it to yourself to pursue your lifes ambition until you die - because it's what comes to define you - not completely, but is a large part of your defining characteristics.

I guess I'm coming from a place in my own heart, being an actor and understanding the mentality of a performer. Music is the voice of the soul, and musicians are the vessel through which that voice is materialized.

You count your blessings when musicians get on in their age, because who knows when their last song will play. When we ask our musicians to stop, we're saying that we no longer care about where we've come from, that we no longer care of our past and the strides we've made in music. That we no longer conscious of the music we grew up loving, and for the reason we loved it: because it made us FEEL a certain way. The music may have been transposed or put in a different key, and the musicians may play it differently - but it's cathartic: somehow, somewhere in your psyche, the feeling that you felt when you originally heard the song will come to surface, and you'll feel wonderful.

Music is timeless. Musicians may come and go, but their music will live on. I want the musicians to play their music because it keeps them going and because it will keep the flame of those songs alive while they're still played by the original musicians.

I guess I'll close this by saying, if your grandfather were a musician, and he played your favorite song when you were younger, and still does, though not as majestically or proficiently, would you say to him - you need to stop?

I wouldn't. The music needs to live on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-30 20:43 by Jumpin'JackFrash.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 30, 2006 12:16

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The Rolling Stones of 2006 cannot be compared to
> those of the past because they have fundamentally
> changed - stylistically, emotionally in the places
> their music comes from, and in various other
> ways.

that's the point of comparison, frash; you by definition can't compare things that are the same.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 30, 2006 20:06

RollingStonesUSA Wrote:
> The people who say that, need to be shot!

Yes. They do indeed. Either shot with a lukewarm turd that is fired off slowly, or have three Babylonian lashes on their necks with a piece of wet muffin...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: brokenhands ()
Date: July 30, 2006 21:23

This type of statement is made by talentless hacks who are jealous they are filling arenas and stadiums, making fat cash, and probably STILL able to get total hot groupie babes (if they so desired) any day of the week.

They should hope they can still be as active when they get to that age.

"How about a nice big glass of SHUT THE HELL UP!" winking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 30, 2006 23:31

Can't place the exact quote, but when Keith was asked for the nth time about the Golden Age in the Stones' past, he said something like:

Well, we'll never be there again. But that doesn't mean we won't be somewhere else...

I for one am very happy for the Stones to carry on finding out where "somewhere else" is for as long as they like.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 30, 2006 23:39

It is pure envy rearing its ugly head,

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 30, 2006 23:40

nikkibong Wrote:
> Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> ways.
>
> that's the point of comparison, frash; you by
> definition can't compare things that are the same.

Its my understanding that comparing is looking at similarties, contrasting is looking at differences. if two things have nothing in common, then it makes sense to say "they just dont compare". thers no basis for comparrison, nothing in common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-30 23:40 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: July 30, 2006 23:45

Thanks, Pow

Posted by: KingBee ()
Date: July 31, 2006 00:11

Gazza´s got it!

I worked as a rock journalist in Berlin and <Cologne for 6 years, and I quit 2 years ago for exactly those reason: Today´s journalism sucks! It doesn´t even deserve the term "journalism".

Saw Bo Diddley last week in Amsterdam, he´s 77 and marvellous. His voice got even better - what can Isay?

I just hope that the 4 guys don´t get tired of touring the next 15 years or seriously ill- I can´t imagine a world without The Rolling Stones.

Raw Iguana

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 31, 2006 01:29

KingBee Wrote:
> Gazza´s got it!
>

thankfully I've been told that it will clear up in 3 weeks with penicillin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home