Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Indestructible Keith Richards
Posted by: bar_room_queen ()
Date: July 26, 2006 20:57

from The Independent - for those who haven't seen this yet...

[enjoyment.independent.co.uk]

The indestructible Keith Richards is back
By Matthew Beard
Published: 13 July 2006

It is said the only two things to survive a nuclear war would be cockroaches and Keith Richards.

So it was little surprise that the hardy Rolling Stones guitarist, who recently underwent brain surgery after falling out of a tree, showed no ill effects when the band kicked off their latest European tour in Italy.

The Stones, who have a a combined age of 248, had been forced to delay the "Bigger Bang Tour" by a month because of Richards' accident.

But Mick Jagger made light of the incident as the band played in front of 70,000 fans at the San Siro football stadium, which is the home of AC Milan, on Tuesday night.

Jagger congratulated the crowd on Italy's weekend victory in the World Cup, and two of the winning squad - Marco Materazzi and Alessandro Del Piero - were invited on to the stage at the end of the two-hour show.

Referring to Richards' accident and the infamous head-butting incident involving Materazzi and the French player Zinedine Zidane in the World Cup final, Jagger, speaking in Italian, said: "Materazzi and Richards have something in common tonight; they both recently had head-related problems."

The crowd waved thousands of Italian flags as the Stones performed many of their old classics and some newer material. Richards was the first to take to the stage, wearing his trademark headband and a shirt open at the chest. The night began with "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and ended with "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", and, apart from short mini-breaks between songs, the ageing rockers showed few signs of slowing.

Since the 2005 release of their latest album A Bigger Bang, the Rolling Stones have performed on three continents before a combined total of 4.5 million fans, according to their tour director.

Their biggest show was at Copacabana Beach, where they played before 1.5 million people, and they also performed in Beijing for the first time.

During the break for Richards' recovery, his fellow guitarist Ron Wood, 59, also checked into a London rehabilitation clinic last month for treatment for alcohol abuse, but both men said on Monday they were feeling good and ready to get back on the touring bandwagon.

Richards, 62, also disclosed this week that his brain injury had not been sustained by falling out of a coconut tree but from a large shrub. It had originally been reported that the guitarist needed surgery after a tumble from a large palm while picking coconuts on holiday in Fiji.

Richards said at a press conference to kick off the delayed European leg of the Stones' world tour: "If you saw the tree you would realise the joke. This was just a very little tree."

He indicated that the tree was about 5ft high.

Re: The Indestructible Keith Richards
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 26, 2006 21:12

Some people have a designated driver ... between this and the "falling off a ladder while reaching for a book" incident of a few years ago, it appears Keith needs a designated climber.

Posted by: bar_room_queen ()
Date: July 26, 2006 21:29

hehehehe! ;o)

Date: July 26, 2006 21:29

Amazing what drugs and plastic surgery and bullshit will do to enhance one's reputation.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: July 26, 2006 23:10

I've tried 2 out of the 3 and they haven't done anything to enhance my reputation, so I guess I have no choice but to try plastic surgery.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 27, 2006 18:32

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've tried 2 out of the 3 and they haven't done
> anything to enhance my reputation, so I guess I
> have no choice but to try plastic surgery.

not necessary- wear a headband and some fishing lures and hooks in your hair

Date: July 27, 2006 18:34

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've tried 2 out of the 3 and they haven't done
> > anything to enhance my reputation, so I guess I
> > have no choice but to try plastic surgery.
>
> not necessary- wear a headband and some fishing
> lures and hooks in your hair

It would be nice to be able to fish on a moment's notice.

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:36

LOL!!

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:45

Yep, that's Keef!!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 30, 2006 21:10

On a similar note: Check the "The Word Music Magazine" 10 page article on Keith (He's on the cover). The article is called "Our Father Who Aren't In Heaven".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KingBee ()
Date: July 30, 2006 22:34

Hey J-K-F

is it World or Word Music Magazine?

Cheers

Raw Iguana

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2006 00:59

Sweet Tarts Together

The Word August 2006 - Anton Corbijn

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 31, 2006 01:07

That picture has some really strange effect, it makes their arms look like monkey-arms... monkey men..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home