Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Opening Night Review
Posted by: rocksoffKR ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:26

so how was under my thumb? did keith take the opening lead?

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:29

good question, rocksoff. Was it Under My Thumb, or Under Chuck Leavell's thumb?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:30

nmi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 17:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:32

bv, why shouldn't we be entitled to judge a setlist? A setlist is a setlist, and not an actual performance. The fact that it makes a boring thread to some is irrelevant.
Some titles get repeated quite a lot, and we know that the Rolling Stones, as a general rule, won't change the arrangements inside out from one concert to the other.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:36

rocksoffKR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so how was under my thumb? did keith take the
> opening lead?
Unfortunately no 81 intrduction.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:37

so, dunhill, was the main riff played by Mr. Leavell himself? (or by his thumb, perhaps)

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:39

it was opening night , theyre always a bit rusty on opening night!!! give them 5 more shows and they'll hit the groove

OLDKR

Date: July 12, 2006 17:41

nikkibong Wrote:
> so, dunhill, was the main riff played by Mr.
> Leavell himself? (or by his thumb, perhaps)

Very hard to tell. I was in first row and they played UMT on the moving stage.
You could not really hear that well from my position.
I would say it was Keith playing the riff, not 100% sure though, but no lead guitar intro as he used to do in the 81/82 concerts.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:45

First European concert of the tour and they play 1 new song (albeit SOL) and one fan favourite for the first time in years and another first timer this tour (BTMMR). Plus As Tears Go By in Italian (which must have sound awfull, lol!) (

Not bad, not bad. A pitty that Keit has dropped the ABB songs for his set though.

Date: July 12, 2006 17:52

Actually I remember BTMMR in Stockholm at Globe Arena in july 2003.

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:56

dunhill Wrote:
> Actually I remember BTMMR in Stockholm at Globe
> Arena in july 2003.

Me too. But it's still in the shadow of Thru & Thru. That was probably one of my best moments ever!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:59

mr edward Wrote:

Not bad, not bad. A pitty that Keit has dropped the ABB songs for his set though.

Hi mr edward. I think it was a smart move, his ABB songs didn't seem to get a great response from the audience (IMO)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:05

Classic debate raging here, as per usual:

- If anyone has anything negative to say, trashing of the person ensues.

- BV apparently speaks on behalf of all the fans present.

- Setlists are not within scope of criticism unless you were within the confines of the place where the setlist actually took place.

Nice to see some things never change ;-)

Oh - one more point - I still don't understand how singing a song in a different language constitutes performance of a NEW song. If Mick decides to sing Midnight Rambler in French in Paris will that all ratchet the number up by one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 18:07 by StonesTod.

Date: July 12, 2006 18:05

Tekumseh Wrote:
> dunhill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Me too. But it's still in the shadow of Thru &
> Thru. That was probably one of my best moments
> ever!
I couldn't agree more with you.
I remember having a lady next to me crying while Keith was giving an outstanding rendition of the song that night.
Very moving performance.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:09

about UMT, i actually thought it was Charlie leading winking smiley
but that must be because of my position similar to dunhill
i think the pace is faster and the mood...well just compare GOOMC 1976 to GOOMC 2006 then UMT 1981 to...imagine 2006
i think however they are still working on it...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:19

You may or may not like the set list, but it is such a waste of time to tell us all you don't like the Stones anymore. I have said this before. If you don't like the set list, I mean if you read about the set list now for 77 shows on this tour and you think it is bad then the conclusion is you don't like the band anymore. They ain't going to read IORR Tell Me and say "Aaah there is this one guy who wants to hear Winter so we ignore these 4,5 million others and do him a show with winter only. One happy guy and 4,5 million unhappy fans.

There are two types of people. One kind is usually happy and easy to please. Then some are never happy, always complain about prices, set lists, weather, they have so many worries it must be a burden. I don't want to carry that burden. I enjoy the band whatever they play. Because I don't think there are many Stones songs I hate them playing.

Just one question to those who complain about the set list. You have a birtday and people buy you flowers. You do only like red roses but you get all sorts of flowers. Do you complain about the flower gifts or do you have the ability to be grateful for all of them?

Bjornulf

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:25

Yes bv!!!

Thanks! We trust your review, not those of the setlist haters and the mistake-counters! Therefore we know it was a tremendous show, volume issues notwithstanding.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:27

bv Wrote:

> Just one question to those who complain about the
> set list. You have a birtday and people buy you
> flowers. You do only like red roses but you get
> all sorts of flowers. Do you complain about the
> flower gifts or do you have the ability to be
> grateful for all of them?

i guess bv you must turn the example around. Looks like some of us like all sorts of flowers but feel they're only getting roses from the stones

still, i agree on one point, i luuuuuuv roses and last night i had my share

still, bv, the sound from front row keith side for at least 5/6 songs into the show sucked

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:31

bv Wrote:
> Aaah there is this one
> guy who wants to hear Winter so we ignore these
> 4,5 million others and do him a show with winter
> only. One happy guy and 4,5 million unhappy fans.

That suggests

a) that there is only one guy who wants a song as Winter
in the setlist (which is wrong)

and

b) that Winter is a bad song (which is also wrong).

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:31

bv, no, that would be rude. But when I go and see the Stones I am a paying "customer". It's not like it's a free concert.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:46

I said a few words when I came back from the show earlier this morning, but wanted to write a fuller review to provide a somewhat different perspective from that offered by some here.

Went with my father - a Beatles fan - who had never been to a Stones show. This was my 9th show; the 5th this tour. The crowd was in a festive mood and participated enthusiastically throughout (World Cup victory had a lot to do with that).

1. JJF
2. IORR
Here the sound problems were really bad. Mick's mic was pretty low and I could barely hear the guitars from my spot on the Tribuna Rossa.

3. Oh No Not You Again
Sound starts getting better. Keith delivers big time on this.

4. Let's Spend the Night Together
Perfect sound, wonderful performance. My father turns to me at the end of the song - a little teary-eyed - and mutters something like "That brought me back 40 years; I think I was 16 when it first came out."

5. Tumbling Dice
Solid performance by everyone. As usual.

6. Streets of Love
The crowd reacts with wild cheer to the opening notes and sings along virtually the whole thing. A bit sloppy at the end, but not bad. I don't much like the song, but with a little more rehearsing it will sound pretty decent live.

7. Con Le Mie Lacrime
My dad sings along the whole thing - as does the rest of the stadium. Mick and Keith kid around on stage like they are 18 years old again. I get the feeling things are back to normal here.

8. Midnight Rambler
Best live performance of this song I've ever heard. Especially the first part, which sounds like a train is barrelling through the stadium. Keith and Ron play wonderful guitars on this one.

9. Night Time
When it starts, people in my section start getting up to get drinks or go for a piss; when it ends, everyone is singing and dancing - arms flailing wildly. Lisa's voice dazzles the crowd.

10. Before They Make Me Run
11. Slipping Away
Keith looks overcome with emotion. He plays good guitar on both; he forgets some of the words, but as I said he has done this ever since the early 1970s. Nothing too stellar, but in my view not deserving of the criticism he got on this board today.

12. Miss You
Pretty good, though moving to the b-stage during the song constitutes an obvious distraction.

13. Rough Justice
okay.

14. Under My Thumb
Didn't sound like 1981, but they performed it better than I expected given the little time they had to rehearse it.

15. HTW
One of the best versions I have heard.

16. SFTD
I have complained in the past that Sympathy was pretty sloppy on previous ABB shows. Contrary to other reviewers, I felt there was a marked improvement on this over the shows this winter. I thought Keith's solo was good; but then again, he hardly did play any solo on SFTD during the American leg of the tour.

17. Start Me Up
18. Brown Sugar
Great, as usual. Not as thumping and frenzied as in other occasions, but fine.

19. YCAGWYW
Heard better.

20. Satisfaction
Absolutely fantastic. Brought down the house.

All in all, the show was definitely a memorable one. My father is not one to shower anyone with a lot of praise, but he was really mesmerized by what he saw. He looked at me at the end covered in sweat and said "impressionante" (in Italian, it means a mixture of "impressive" and "scary"). He said he had never seen anything quite like it. I have to disagree with dunhill on Keith's performance. If you want to say that he doesn't play like 1969, 1973, 1981, or even 1998 to some extent, I will grant you that. But I think his performance was solid - in line or better with previous ones from this tour. Considering that he was having brain surgery just two months ago, it would have been enough for me to see him in so great a shape, running around and enjoying himself. Add to that what I think was a very good performance and I would concur with my dad that "impressionante" is an adequate overall assessment of this show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 18:50 by Raoul Duke.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:47

OK here we go again on the road (oops that was another band but anyways)

After the world tour start in Boston, now the european opener.

After MSG Jan. 20 2006, a long break in between, Milan was our 11th show on this tour.

After all that we've been through in the past months, we have to state it loud and clear - the chicken skin is back when keith and the rest of the boys enter the stage. What a great feeling. No other band can do this.

We arrived at San Siro at 1:45 p.m.. There were already lots of people there. Spent some time at the heinecken bar and met some nice fans there. At 3:30 p.m. we went to the entrance of prato 1-2. The organisation there was pure chaos. We managed it somehow to get in in a relatively short time by climbing over the barriers. Once we got in and after buying some merchandise we went to prato 1 and recognized that we were on Keith's side. There was no possibilty to get on Ronnie's side. After long and hard discussions we found a very friendly and helpfull italian guy of the staff who took us two to Ronnie's side. Thank you very much again. We found a great place just in the middle between the main and the B-Stage just two rows in front of the "Catwalk".

After that it was waiting, waiting, waiting......

Then the boys hit the stage.

The sound

The sound wasn't horrible at all because there was no sound at all until the last chords of Oh No, not you again.

Then they turned up the volume after loud and numerous shouts of the crowd "vo-lu-me".

Streets Of Love was great and very much appreciated by the audience.

Con Le Mie Lacrime a once in a life time experience. An italian guy next to us said "grande - en italiano - mamma mia (clutching his hands to his face)". Couldn't agree more.

Keith set was Keith set. Nothing more to be said and this is not meant negative.

Under my Thumb great to hear that after years again. The beginning was a total mess but it turned out great.

Conclusione

The whole show was a mess, but that doesn't mean it was great, an experience we won't miss.

If you want something perfect go and buy a cd or dvd, don't go to one of the shows. But if you don't go to the shows you'll miss something that you'll regret for the rest of your life...

THE GREATEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD.

and

Thanks to one of the greatest audiences we have so far experienced. Thank you Italy at San Siro.

Thank you Boys for a human, not perfect european opener.

Can't wait for Munich, and the whole of the UK. Hopefully more to follow. You're to unique to stop.

Birgit and Hermann
Munich

Date: July 12, 2006 19:48

bv Wrote:
> The band was great and the crowd was great. If you
> look for superiority and the unique rather than
> counting mistakes then I am sure you will be able
> to enjoy the show a lot more. Everybody was
> singing along to Streets Of Love. I mean
> everybody. IORR was another great winner. Midnight
> Rambler was making everybody around me and in the
> rest of the stadium jump and dance like crazy. Con
> Le Mie Lacrime - Mick's voice was crystal clear
> and the sound perfect where I was on the
> field/floor.
>
> And if you did not go to the show and have
> comments on the set list then it's your proble.
> You were not there. This show was for the fans in
> Milan and Italy, not for the internet judges
> making points on variations of set lists. The
> crowd loved it, and so did the press too it seems.

In short, DO NOT criticize the Stones.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: July 12, 2006 19:53

i don't think BVs saying not to criticize the stones fleabit

he's just saying you can't really say jack squat about the show if you were not there...

i think thats obviously true! apparently the crowd was loving the stones (did you see the pictures?) and were very happy to hear streets of love (you know the italians love that cheeze pop) and the as tears go by in italian...

so you got to kinda judge the show from the perspective of the audience , no? the stones were playing for the audience, no? or were they playing for you at home?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 12, 2006 19:55

dunhill Wrote:
> Actually I remember BTMMR in Stockholm at Globe
> Arena in july 2003.

I meant it wasn't played on this tour untill now.

You're probably right, Cindy, but I just like the Stones to play new songs. Or songs that they haven't played in a while (Little T&A for example) for that matter.

But what the hell, they're on the road again!

Date: July 12, 2006 19:55

I guess BV was talking about setlist, rather than commenting the overall performance.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2006 19:57

I say jack about hundreds of shows I haven't been to. So, apparently, you can!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 12, 2006 20:07

Just come back from Milan. My first opening in 36 years. The crowd responded q well. The sound was the worst I ever heard.I don't know if Amsterdam Arena is an echodome, but sure San Siro is. Could'nt hear Keith up until As tears go by. Mick was in great shape as well as Charlie. Keith involved himself into runnings to demonstrate that everything was now under control. Ron was absent and inaudible except during 2 solos. Peaks were for me : MR, YCAGWYW, Satisfaction. SOL was well received by the crowd, though sometimes Mick what looking what the others were doing. Nice to hear Under My Thumb. To summarize:
bad sound, Mick in great conditions physical and vocal, Charlie drumming as hell. Keith pleased to be there, but not paying enough attention to his guitar playing. San Siro was far from being sold out, though the 50,000 audience was great and compensate for this.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 12, 2006 20:11

Ahh . . . . it's nice that things are back to normal on this board.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 12, 2006 20:19

mr edward Wrote:
You're probably right, Cindy, but I just like the Stones to play new songs. Or songs that they haven't played in a while (Little T&A for example)for that matter.

I like hearing the new songs too, I'm not complaining, it was just an observation why he probably switched it up. Although I always like to hear BTMMR even at the expense of another Keith song.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home