Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Opening Night Review
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:21

MicksBrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nikkibong, see my vote for you on fav posters?
> Page 8 I think (you should read it) You Still in
> SK? What's with the platform shoes dude doing up
> north with dem missiles? Give him some Stones
> tickets and tell him to stop already....

thanks, MB! as we all know, you truly are the brains of the operation around here . . .

yeah, i'm still in SK; i don't think giving Stones tix to Kim Jong Il is such a good idea, though. Can you imagine his reaction after Ronnie messes up the TD solo?

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:24

jagger50 Wrote:
> Great isn't. Complaints about cancelled and
> postponed shows now complaints about the
> show.Lighten up and enjoy while you can.

Jagger50, you should read my comments under "set lists" as to how they can fix all this and make everyone happy. (after all, the tickets DO cost a bit) Check it out, Page 2 I think....

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:28

Anything constructive for a change Nikkibong?

Hows the NME article not a review?

and god help us if the stones EVER turned into The Allman Bros or Satriani!!! Tedious guitar solos that rattle on for hours......

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:29

I can't f*cking wait to go to see them YEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!

Oily.

Date: July 12, 2006 14:32

Nikkibong, Are people kinda nervous about the whole thing in Seoul? He worries me a bit...."When you ain't got nothing/you got nothing to lose".... Yeah, he might have a fit after a nasty solo...wonder what his favorite Stones song/album is? What's your guess

Date: July 12, 2006 14:35

ablett Wrote:
> Anything constructive for a change Nikkibong?
>
> Hows the NME article not a review?
>

Hey, blett, do you even know what an review is? A review includes CRITICISM and CRITIQUE. For example, your oh-so-boring remark about whether I have something "constructive" to say is an implicit REVIEW of my previous postings.

The NME article, by contrast, is merely a summary of events.

I'll shows you how it works. Here's an example of a summary: "Ablett continued a string of unthoughtful, blindly hero-worshiping posts." That's not opinion; it's a fact. And therefore NOT a review.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:39

Hairball Wrote:

> The fact is that their guitar playing has been
> inferior ever since Mick Taylor left the band,
> and we can all agree on that.

you can keep on nagging about "inferior" guitar playing by Keith and Ronnie, thats fine with me.....

but speak for yourself! because I totally don't agree

Date: July 12, 2006 14:40

You go Bong man......is somebody mixing up the pitchers of purple Kool aid ? The gang is thirsty....

Date: July 12, 2006 14:43

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Nikkibong, Are people kinda nervous about the
> whole thing in Seoul? He worries me a bit...."When
> you ain't got nothing/you got nothing to lose"....
> Yeah, he might have a fit after a nasty
> solo...wonder what his favorite Stones song/album
> is? What's your guess

Fav. song is definitely Back to Zero.

And what worries me more about Kim is less his external agression (after all, he just wants to preserve his power) than what he's doing to his own citizens. Concentration camps, mass starvation, really awful stuff . . .

But people in Seoul care more about TV soap operas and the latest cell phones!

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:48

That's not what we're asking for. We're just asking the guys to lay off the booze, dope and coconuts in order to be competent players so we can all agree that we're getting what we paid for.

They don't have to do a 30 minute Mountain Jam with "My Favorite Things" and "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" teased in the middle followed by a 13 minute Whipping Post that just rocks the roof off the shed.

I can hardly believe people would be complaining if Ron and Keith played better.

ablett Wrote:
> Anything constructive for a change Nikkibong?
>
> Hows the NME article not a review?
>
> and god help us if the stones EVER turned into The
> Allman Bros or Satriani!!! Tedious guitar solos
> that rattle on for hours......

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:51

electric-duane Wrote:
> I can hardly believe people would be complaining
> if Ron and Keith played better.
Amen.
I would give another 200 € to be able to sya that I did really enjoy yesterday's show.
I mena, I had fun, but it could have been better.

Date: July 12, 2006 14:52

Yeah, they've been showing a lot of snuck out footage from NK lately on CNN and MSNBC and it looks like the film "1984" with John Hurt and Richard Burton (his last one I think) The poverty is BEYOND BELIEF !! Poor people stuck under the rule of that freak. Seoul people BETTER worry, he ain't too far away with his scuds.....I went to the border the first time I was there - that was one bizarre place - guards staring at each other 24/7....You've prob. been there...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:20

It is, in one word, wonderful that they are back on stage so soon after Keith's accident. That said, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and for those of us who actually LISTEN to the band, it is clear that on some nights, Keith and Ronnie are totally capable of being so bad it's embarrassing. On other nights, the fire is there and the chops are there. Either way, I always enjoy the show (or the CD-R, as the case may be), but we all need to be honest and assess their performances at these shows. I would rather have people like dunhill provide honest opinions about their performance. Just because Keith or Ronnie played poorly on a particular solo, or on a particular evening, doesn't mean that the show sucked, or that they suck or that the Stones suck. It just means that they were off that song, or that night. I hope that it's still up, but take a look at the clips on this page -- you can compare JJF and ONNYA from each of the 5 shows in Japan. As you can see, on some nights, KR is on fire, and on others (esp. on ONNYA) you will be baffled how he could play so badly.

[rs.msn.co.jp]

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:22

Isn't it amazing how very differently the same show is reviewed depending on which board you are on? It is obviously true that each board attracts people with similar personalities and outlooks on life. IORR is clearly for those who see the glass half empty.

FotiniD on Rocks Off:

Heloooooo everyone

And with a huge smile on my face, as guessed

I don't think that there's anyone who attended last night's gig and left without feeling breathless. If I hear ONE person saying they didn't absolutely ROCK last night, I'm going to slap him / her

They're back babies, and they're back with a mighty roar. This IS a bigger bang tour and there's a reason it's called that way. Please don't wait for an ordinary review for me just yet because I still don't know how I function but baby... did they rock or what!

I've heard and seen my fair share of bootlegs, audio and video. I haven't seen Mick being so out of control and the REAL him since I don't know when... definitely not in the nineties / 2000's. When Keith came on stage you could feel how glad he was to be back. And they all clicked like they had just stopped playing live yesterday, not some months ago. The tigers baby. The lions.

Long live the Rolling Stones. Don't miss out. Sell your house if you have to. Go see them live. It's worth every little penny of the ticket price.

P.S. Promise more when I return babies, and possibly some good photos. Right now I'm thrilled, in a Z dimension and utterly exhausted, more than ever.

P.P.S. Paula, I tried smsing you and it looked like the messages were sent! Didn't you receive anything? When I tried calling I got a message in Italian which I didn't quite understand.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:26

This from the Daily Express...

...Not quite so critical as folks around here ;^)

"It’s not only rock’n’roll for the timeless Stones
12/07/06
THE Rolling Stones never fail to astonish. After 44 years together, with a combined age of 247, and after brain injuries and spells in rehab they remain one of the greatest rock’n’roll bands ever.

Kicking off the delayed European leg of their Bigger Bang tour last night in front of 77,000 Italian fans still delirious from the World Cup, the Stones performed a two-hour set with the energy of musicians a quarter their age.

A huge roar greeted Keith Richards, apparently little the worse for wear after his fall from a tree, and an even bigger roar when 62-year-old Mick Jagger bounded on stage to congratulate the Italians on their victory.

The concert was watched by some of the Italian team and Jagger joked at the expense of defender Marco Materazzi, the player head-butted by Zinedine Zidane: "Keith and Materazzi have something in common, they both have head problems."

The concert ran through only a fraction of the Stones back catalogue. Jostling alongside more obscure album tracks were the timeless classics Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Tumbling Dice, Jumpin’ Jack Flash and Sympathy For The Devil.

Jagger, Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, remain astonishingly charismatic and compelling. Jagger walks his cockatoo strut without looking ludicrous. Richards, fag dangling from his mouth, remains the epitome of rock’n’roll cool.

The Stones are expected to gross £120million plus £50million in merchandising. They are already among the wealthiest musicians in rock – Jagger is now worth more than £185million and Keith some £160million. Since 1990, the group have earned more than £1.23billion.

But watching this uplifting performance, and the grins on their faces, you got the feeling it was love, not money, that was propelling them.

Viewing from the sidelines was one of the legends who inspired them – Bo Diddley. "Jeez, they’ve still got it," he said.

Few in the sweltering heat of the San Siro stadium would have disagreed."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:30

Bo was in the wings.....cooool

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:43

Unfortunately, and rather like the NME summary, the Daily Express report tells us absolutely nothing about how the gig sounded or how the band performed.

Not that it matters much to some around here.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:47

We had first row and we enjoyed it. I never heard of any soundproblems, but the echo on the back was mostlikely very bad. I was even surprised by the quality of the sound.
I assume they used the same system as in the States. So I rather think that it's the whole Stadium which makes the sound echoing endlessly around.

I liked the show despite the fact that I was very, very reluctant to go and angry about the previous weeks regarding the information policy.
Mick and Keith seemed to work very closeley together and it seemed to me that Mick was happy to find Keith at least in such a shape.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:51

MicksBrain Wrote:
> jagger50 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great isn't. Complaints about cancelled and
> > postponed shows now complaints about the
> > show.Lighten up and enjoy while you can.
>
> Jagger50, you should read my comments under "set
> lists" as to how they can fix all this and make
> everyone happy. (after all, the tickets DO cost a
> bit) Check it out, Page 2 I think....

My comment was not directed at anyone. I was talking in the 2nd person plural.We're only having fun, right?

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:53

so weird they have bo diddley there- which is a cool thing i agree- and don't perform a song with him???? i think bo still performs...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 15:54 by stoned_in_dc.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:54

Seems to me that the show was no different to many other Stones gigs over many many years. Plenty to criticise for the officinados and the pedantic, plenty to praise for the everyday fan or commentator.
The point made by my posting of the Express story is that we folks around here can tend to live in our own little bubble, judging everything by our high standards, and in the light of our intimate knowledge of the band.
We need to step back and be entertained...which is what the band set out to do and always achieve, in spades !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 15:55 by Spud.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 12, 2006 16:14

Rockingfan Wrote:
> We had first row and we enjoyed it. I never heard
> of any soundproblems, but the echo on the back was
> mostlikely very bad. I was even surprised by the
> quality of the sound.
> I assume they used the same system as in the
> States. So I rather think that it's the whole
> Stadium which makes the sound echoing endlessly
> around.
>

The sound should be great from the first row. Hell, they could fart for 2 hours and it would be great from the first row.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 12, 2006 16:20

We don't wanna hear negative feedback here. I only want to hear how great the show was and that I can look forward to attend the next coming shows.

So please remove all those messages saying sound was bad or band was bad....
There really can't be anything negative around a Stones show!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2006 16:45

Spud Wrote:
> Seems to me that the show was no different to many
> other Stones gigs over many many years. Plenty to
> criticise for the officinados and the pedantic,
> plenty to praise for the everyday fan or
> commentator.
> The point made by my posting of the Express story
> is that we folks around here can tend to live in
> our own little bubble, judging everything by our
> high standards, and in the light of our intimate
> knowledge of the band.
> We need to step back and be entertained...which is
> what the band set out to do and always achieve, in
> spades !

as the Daily Express would have gone to press long before midnight UK time last night, you can bet that their copy was sent to the editor long before the show ended.

Pretty obvious from the 'review' that the writer hadnt seen the full show, sent a list of familiar songs that he could have predicted the band would have played and didnt list any songs other than the more obvious ones.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2006 16:56

i was there
fron of the stage, keith's side
the sound was terrible
keith made a lot of mistakes when he was on the spot (expecially during Slipping Away when, imo, he was kind of overwhelmed by emotion more than by neurological or alcohol problems) otherwise, imho, he delivered the goods as usual.
But, I repeat, it is difficult to comment the performance expecially the first part of the concert for the people standing in front of the stage for the sound problems (and also because of the incredible enthusiasm, lots of teenagers speced out and screaming, with some moments of tension at least where i was)
I have talked with some people who were "sitting" on the second ring and they told me they could hear perfectly. Also the first ring must have been ok because the reviews in italian newspaper this morning not only dont mention any sound problem but they are all very enthusiastic and, i must say, more for the playing of the band than for the celebration of the cup with Materazzi an Del Piero and all the flags etc...
Fact is that people went nuts from the first moment till the last note of satisfaction
I was surprised not only by the presence of so many kids (average age in my area must have been no more than 25) but also by the presence of many people that where attending astones concert for the first time and did not know that much of the band. I have talked to some of them (those who were less spaced out) and, I must say, they were mesmerized.
That makes me think of different standards we use in judging.
I and my wife agree that Bercy 2003 was a better concert as far as music concern.
The stadium was full. People from the wings of third ring went in the middle of the third and second ring so, how some people told me, they found in the paradoxical situation of being at hundreds meters from the stage but jammed and standing for all the concert as if they were in the front row.
That says something about the atmosphere of last night
I myself think now that maybe they can go on rock and rolling but I am too old to attend the concert is such "savage" situation as yesterday.
Turin 90 in comparison was like going to a tea room.
I agree someone should be fired for the sound problems.
For what I heard
Streets of love was "trembling" but had a great help from the crowd
Con le mie lacrime (and then Under my thumb) gave a new meaning to the "feel" of the "sixties". I think that has been really mesmerizing for many people.
Midnight rambler - as usual, must be said - was tremendous and suggested to every journalist i read this morning the term "lava" or "lavic".
I missed night time because i was trying to avoid a fight
Keith set was good in BTMMR but he fu***d up slipping, as i said, because i think he really was moved.
Ronnie, what i heard of him, was great
Start me up was great
All in all last night concert was imho more a tribal rite than a musical concert. MAybe I am more for musical concerts but certainly I had fun.
In the end I dont know what to say except: fire the sound guy and there must be some reason why on the one hand i regard last nite concert not at all as a stones peak while on the other everyone else (exspecially among those who could actually hear all the concert) was mesmerized and screaming.
Last word for sir mick jagger
he deserves a mention of honour. He was nuts, like in a sort of trans from the very first moments. Just because i could not hear him sing for the very first numbers i was so concentrated on his face, his mimics. Well, I have never seen him like that, nor live neither in taped performances. I guess he was "vampirizing" - as a newspapers writes this morning - the energy and the enthusiasm from the crowd. He was sucking on us, giving us back a performance that stunned even me that I am familiar with his act, those kids around me were not believing their eyes, i could tell.

Date: July 12, 2006 17:00

MauMau, you got it abosolutely right.
I would like everybody to understan that I didn't mean to say the show sucked, just that I have seen them in better nights.
I am no complainer, it's just that I do expect a lot from the Stones, they deserve people expecting a lot from them as they always delivered the greatest performances ever.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:11

oh no dunhill... thanks for your review (you too mau mau)..

thanks guys! its great to hear from the people who are there... sounds to me like the crowd was like the one you see at buenos aires shows... young and going nuts...ultimately, the stones seemed to have done a great job entertaining those people (particularly mick who is the man these days! i've said it before: he is carrying the band on his back!)... at the same time one worries about the raggedness of the guitars..... though i do like the guitars being out in front (realize in the milan show sometimes you could not hear guitars which is inexcusable) no one wants them to be too ragged..

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:16

i think last nite more than ever demonstrates why they are still there and credibly so. They can put on a hell of a show even if the Man himself @#$%& up a lot (not all). However i think Keef must be understood. You could tell from his eyes that he was moved. I think that in many moments he decided:"F**k playing! I am gonna eat your love because i need!" and come towards the crowd smiling, waving, bumming notes. I can understand that.

I'll be very curious to hear a boot if it ever pops out so that I can judge better the whole musical performance. For example Miss you sounded pretty tight, while SFTD suffered a lot from keith's "solos". But, again, I could barely hear them (at that point not for sound problems but for crowd going nuts on "woo woos"

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:17

Good to hear that they boys are on form, even if the sound guys s/be fired.

Hats off to Mick too: without his unrelenting energy and dynamism the Stones could not still pull off their global treks with such panache.

Cool to hear that Bo Diddley was there - for anyone interested, he'll be at the Jazz Cafe playing in Camden, London, this weekend.

Date: July 12, 2006 17:19

maumau Wrote:
> i think last nite more than ever demonstrates why
> they are still there and credibly so. They can put
> on a hell of a show even if the Man himself @#$%&
> up a lot (not all). However i think Keef must be
> understood. You could tell from his eyes that he
> was moved. I think that in many moments he
> decided:"F**k playing! I am gonna eat your love
> because i need!" and come towards the crowd
> smiling, waving, bumming notes. I can understand
> that.

If that is why he played so bad, then he is forgiven smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home