Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Black and Blue
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 20, 2006 16:18

I know, I love those track sheets. It shows so well what a basic rockband the Stones are. By now there were already people cramming huge amounts of tracks onto their recordings. Going overboard with self indulgence. It's great to see the Stones isolating only kick and snare e.g. from the drums. Or having to actually punch in a certain o/d of a different instrument on an occupied track. Or placing the Bass laways on Track 1 because of analog bleedover. I just like it that they looked human still.
Nowadays one uses a whole track just for the f/x level of a guitar sound.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2006 16:21

>> got a mind of her own, and she use it well <<

smile: maybe only people who've got one can relate. :E
in any case Keith sure does sing it mighty fine,
and it's so unexpected and abstract-like in the middle of all the concrete details of the "story"

>> it's pure schmaltz <<

is it? you mean the lyric or the music?
the title phrase is definitely all-out schmaltzy, but it's so deliberate that that saves it.
and there are tons of great lines - but then, i dig the Stones' road songs in general.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 18:00 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:16

B & B was controversial then and it's controversial for many today. The entire ethos of the band was immersed in drugs, sex and rock n roll......and the sex especially....was very ambiguous......which freaks all too many people out.....many on this board have expressed problems they had with Mick's persona circa '74/75/76..........too bad since it gets in the way of what is one of the Rolling Stones greatest achievements....and one of their hottest recordings ever.........the album is a party album and it's great!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:42

Have to say again how great the production is on this album. The drum sound in particular is by far the best--or at least the liveliest, "wettest"--they ever got.

Now, how was that achieved? I mean, the album was patched together from several different sessions. Maybe it's because there was less overdubbing than they normally did, b/c the original jams were so good.

That said, I don't know how authentic that track sheet can be. It would have to be from the final mix-down, right? b/c the songs are originally from different studios. At least it gets you thinking about what goes into the recording.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:00

Re: production. Did you note how well piano and guitar (melody) are recorded together. This is not an easy thing to do.

C

Posted by: Brano ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:05

One of their most underrated albums; unambitious - Stones laid-back and just jamming, having fun. Great contributions by guest musicians and also great to listen to in the summer, in fact I just listened to it this morning while driving back from college, when I picked up this hot girl who was hitching a ride. She tapped her feet to that cool riff in Hey Negrita, but I felt a little embarassed when Mick sang "my sweet ass"winking smiley. It would be an even greater album though if they included Slave and Worried About You from those sessions.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:21

I am probably less than 100% objective about B&B, as it was the current Stones album as I was falling in love with the band. But, I love every note on this one.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:31

I love this too.
Hot Stuff, Hand Of Fate and MMotel is 10 out of 10 stars, and the rest is great too.
And it's such a strange, great cover photo. Makes you wonder about which mood the gang are in.

Posted by: Hurriganes ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:46

Keith ruling one Mick out and another standing "a bit" apart from the rest of the group?

Any stories why Charlie is not in the front cover?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 18:50 by Hurriganes.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:50

I love the album. I remember hearing it on the radio a lot in the summer of 1976. Great summer. Great memories....and nikki, if you think Memory Motel is "schmaltzy" good god man what do you think of Fool To Cry? Those songs weren't rockers, but they both have earned a special place in my heart. But what got me hooked was that opening riff from Hot Stuff. Good description, Chelsea. I liked the Love You Live version. too.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 20, 2006 19:51

Good album. Biggest problem with it (and IORR too I think) is that Keith is Missing in Action. The heavy junk years for him, and as a result too much Jagger and not enough Richards. Funkier than probably any other Stones disc.

Date: June 20, 2006 19:53

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good album. Biggest problem with it (and IORR too
> I think) is that Keith is Missing in Action.

I can sorta understand where you're coming from. My question to you is if you think he's MIA on B&B, how would you characterize him on ABB?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2006 19:57

?!? Keith is all over Black & Blue! not taking a lot of guitar solos, it's true, but hell: they were auditioning guitarists.
if more people going through their heavy junk years were this creative, the world would truly be a *much* more beautiful place.

ahem, editing here just in case anyone's paying attention:
i don't mean it's a Keith-dominated album - i mean both Twins are very much present and accounted for, just like they should be.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 20:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:01

Brano Wrote:

> cool riff in Hey Negrita, but I felt a little
> embarassed when Mick sang "my sweet ass"winking smiley. It
> would be an even greater album though if they
> included Slave and Worried About You from those
> sessions.

The "Hey Negrita"-Video was the first time I saw Mick on TV at age 14, and I was completely hypnotized, almost touching the TV screen with my nose!
I loved the whole album, especially "Crazy
Mama" and "Hot Stuff". At that time I did not know their other albums, so it just knocked me out.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:07

Im thinking about importing this album at on I tunes at the computer at my work that everyone listens to music on. My co workers do have good taste in music, but I must say their stuff is getting a bit old and stale. theres only 2 stones songs in the music library, that never get played "Miss you" and "sweet Virginia". I was thinking that Black N Blue would be a good edition.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:11

Memmory Motel contains some of my favorite stones lyrics:

"I hit the bottle, I hit the sack and cried!"

"whats all that laughter on the twenty second floor, its just some friends of mine and their busting down the door!".

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:18

StonesTod Wrote:
> KSIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good album. Biggest problem with it (and IORR
> too
> > I think) is that Keith is Missing in Action.
>
> I can sorta understand where you're coming from.
> My question to you is if you think he's MIA on
> B&B, how would you characterize him on ABB?

.........Bullseye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: June 20, 2006 21:30

Borna Wrote:
>
> If they published Hot Stuff now, and make video
> for it, it would be a bigger hit than any song on
> ABB.

. . . sure it would. . .

ANyways, B&B has way too few good songs on it to be anything special.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: June 20, 2006 21:34

nikkibong Wrote:

> what i can't understand is all of the adoration
> that Memory Motel generates around here. it's pure
> schmalz! and "she's got a mind of her own, and she
> use it well," is one of the worst stones lyrics on
> record.

I generally love MM but I agree about that lyric. It's like something Robert Plant would say.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 20, 2006 21:46

This came out when I was 15, suffering through my first real girlfriend kicking me to the curb, and my parents divorce. This album (okay, 8-track) pulled me through. It's no Exile, but i like it best of all. Contains my favorite Stones song (Memory) and my least favorite (Cherry). Put "Hot Stuff" on at a party and watch bootys start shakin'. Nice wah-wah by Keith on "Fool".

Date: June 20, 2006 21:49

I remember that summer Elmo...too bad about the parents. As for the curb, well, I was on it too that summer. Different curb, but nonetheless thrown out on it.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 20, 2006 21:55

StonesTod Wrote:
> KSIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good album. Biggest problem with it (and IORR
> too
> > I think) is that Keith is Missing in Action.
>
> I can sorta understand where you're coming from.
> My question to you is if you think he's MIA on
> B&B, how would you characterize him on ABB?

I can sorta understand where you're coming from with the question. Keith is at times a little MIA on Bang, but at least I hear him playing his guitar. Seemed to me that on BnB there were a lot of guest guitarists and a couple of songs that sounded like pure Mick-songs. You really had to listen close for some Richards guitar. I suppose though that you could say much the same about ABB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 21:56 by KSIE.

Date: June 20, 2006 21:55

Lukester, have you sen the movie "Dazed and Confused", about the last day of school 1976. Fairly accurate portrayal of my life (except the hazing). Late 70's were lots of fun, except the disco boom. BTW, disco sounds pretty damn good now in the days of rap.

Re: sunnybando - he's from India I think.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: June 20, 2006 21:56

1978 this is the worst stones album ever. 1989 - memory motel, fool to cry are the only good songs on it. 1997- crazy mama live at giants stadium - great song. 2005 This album simply improved with age now its a classic. Even cherry oh baby is excellent.

Date: June 20, 2006 21:57

Kinda grows on ya, doesn't it, sm?

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:12

Agreed Borna! One of my faves. And they should do that video.

Date: June 20, 2006 22:16

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Lukester, have you sen the movie "Dazed and
> Confused", about the last day of school 1976.
> Fairly accurate portrayal of my life (except the
> hazing). Late 70's were lots of fun, except the
> disco boom.

Hey Elmo,
I like that movie Dazed and Confused. That kid with the long hair who pitched on a baseball team was me exactly. I too had the long hair, pitched on a baseball team, and jocks would try to haze me because of my long hair. I didn't care, though, because I had a girlfriend who loved the long hair, and I could usually shut up the critics with my pitching (isn't it weird how guys would get so freaking angry when someone with "hair like a girl" would strike them out?) I miss those days.

Date: June 20, 2006 22:19

i had hair like a boy and i bet i struck out more than you (in more ways than one!)

Date: June 20, 2006 22:21

Yeah, they cut out that "You throw like a girl" stuff when they're walking back to the dugout to grab some pine in shame. We could certainly get away with a lot more back then.

My parents and aunts and uncles hauled us all over the SE to bluegrass festivals where we basically ran wild, stealing beer, chasing girls whose parent had drug them along, and digging that live music. Like Mayberry on drugs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 22:21 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: June 20, 2006 22:22

oh really Stones Tod?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home