Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Feeling A Little Uncomfortable
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 6, 2006 14:48

LA FORUM, may I suggest that you delete your post?
Because it doesn't have anything to do with Bassplayers post/question and it makes it very hard for me not to comment on what you say there...

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: June 6, 2006 14:56

every too extreme political direction scares me.
but what scares me most - maybe it has also to do
with my daughter, whose colour is a bit darker than
the average german - are the rightwinged dumba§§es
that beat people to crap in the streets.
but we are leaving a bit much from the stones,
don't we?

sweat black angel...

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 6, 2006 14:59

Where're getting way off course here. Let's get back to the music. And the originator of this thread is welcome anywhere.

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:13

I’m a 27-year-old American male who moved to Frankfurt, Germany from Columbus, Ohio after graduating from University in 2002 with a degree in Journalism.

Do I feel unwelcome in Europe? Nope. Do I feel uncomfortable? Quite often, yes. But I think it depends on what you define as “unwelcome” and “uncomfortable.”

Most of the Europeans (Germans) I know - and this is a generalization - like to not like America just because it's trendy. They really have no idea at all, however, and it sickens me.

You will probably have no problems as you won't be interacting with them as a resident, but as a tourist.

Posted by: Hurriganes ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:16

LA FORUM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Finns killed eachother in a civilwar. Part of democracy.
>
> Im not Jewish but you cant walk around in
> Stockholm with the star of David without risking
> beatings by Muslims or harrasments by the
> extremleft.

Yes, we Finns had a civilwar 1917-18 and now You Swedes finally are starting Your own?

(Finnish civilwar was between the communist "reds" and more western minded "whites" and had quite a many impulses from our eastern neighbour. Not so much to do with democracy anyway.)

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:32

Here we go again...

Date: June 6, 2006 15:40

Yeah man.Gotta get into a fight.Can't get out of it.Gotta get into a fight... winking smiley

Posted by: Friis ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:42

LA FORUM Wrote:

> Its not your fault, its Europes lost power.
> America saves the world and Europe brings it down(...)
> (...) tried to blame Bush for the civil war
> in Iraq. (...)

Europes lost power? IMO, Europe is stronger than ever. America do not save the world. But they (Bush) think they can. Look at all this mess he has got going down in Iraq. - He might even send soldiers into Iran, too. What the hell is he doing? He seems like he just want wars. Wars, wars, wars. And look at the difference between rich and poor in the US. Quite big, isn't it? And why do the US think that they can be the whole worlds policeman? It really pisses me of.
The Patriot Act? No, The Big Brother society. - Glad we haven't got one of those in Denmark yet.
And just look at Guantanamo: They are breaking so many regulations, that I am not even able to understand it. It seems like Bush have problems understanding, that WAR is the wrong solution. Always. War is always the wrong solution.
How can you even say, that US is doing that good? Ok, so we got the whole American Dream-thing, the concept might be great. But man, they could learn so much from Europe. 'Cause after all, we are not doing that bad.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:19

This has been enlightening, my friends. As many of you know, I hold a fascination for military history, so Europe is an obvious choice for a battlefield tour.

The Ardennes area interests me, as does Arnhem - Nijmegen, and of course, Normandy. I've thought about getting involved in one of those group tours that I see advertised now & then.

Have any of you ever seen one of these groups, usually a bunch of older folks, some wearing Veterans of Foreign Wars caps? What do you think about them?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:22

Friis Wrote:
America do not save the world.

quite a statement to make ,bearing in mind, the events that took
place 62 years ago, today.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:25

bassplayer617 Wrote:
The Ardennes area interests me, as does Arnhem -
> Nijmegen, and of course, Normandy. I've thought
> about getting involved in one of those group tours
> that I see advertised now & then.

have done a tour of the Normandy Beaches and Pegasus Bridge.

- moving, fascinating, humbling, eye-opening and to be recommended.

Date: June 6, 2006 16:25

Friis, I think you forget that our country - Denmark - is supporting Bush. Officially. We have soldiers in Iraq as well. And we have a government supported by one of the most populist right wing parties in Europe ( : Western world ). The picture of Denmark is growing worse every day among our European friends. Apart from this we - like most Europeans - have copied USA in most fields since the end of the second world war. Like it or not. It's a fact.
I don't like Bush, but I have liked all the Americans I have met in my life. It's always been a pleasure. I like the Americans I meet in my business. And I've always wanted to watch the Stones at MSG : ) Hope I still get the chance....
So please come bassplayer617/Glenn. You'll find yourself most welcome in almost every European countries. And I'm very sure that you'll feel "at home" in good old Ireland. There're idiots in every single country on this planet. You can easily avoid them if you want to.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:41

welcome in France, of course, when you want. America made me grow (not too). Ioften think of "the graduate", J.D.Salinger, or Arlo Guthhrie. I like America. I don't like bush, madonna (too ridiculous). But, chirac is not better.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:43

Bassplayer, You will be absolutely fine. As a European living (very, very happily) in the US, I can tell you that the hostility that *some* Europeans have towards Americans is comparable to the hostility that *some* Americans (turn on Fox News, for example) have towards Europeans. Europeans have always been intrigued and fascinated by American culture and many of the cities you are likely to visit stand to gain much from Americans visiting (my hometown, Venice, has been hurting quite a bit since 9/11). There are serious questions about Bush's foreign policy over there, but last time I checked this is increasingly the case over here too, given Bush's dismal approval ratings. So my advice is to go, have fun, and spend a lot of money. In the event you find someone who wants to take out some righteous indignation on you, hold your head high and don't back down (unless he's a crazy-ass anarchist wielding some kind of weapon).

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:48

99% of the people in the world wherever you go are good/nice folks

so go where you like, be cautious, have fun. and enjoy!

but as mentioned already. please leave the loud voice and sandals/with socks pulled up high at home ;o)

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:51

Peace.
Luke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 03:19 by Lukester.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:52

Hi Bassplayer (how have you been?),

I'm not exactly a world-traveler, but have been to Germany three times, the Netherlands once. I have found the German people to be extremely hospitable and friendly, even in Berlin which has a reputation of being somewhat cold to outsiders of any sort. Likewise in lovely Amsterdam.

Let's all remember that over 200 million Americans claim direct or partial European ancestry. So, there is much commonality in our cultures to celebrate and enjoy.

BP, I would highly reccomend Berlin as a destination. There is not all that much WWII on display there, but it is truly one of the world's great cities.

Karl

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:53

andy js Wrote:

> but as mentioned already. please leave the loud
> voice and sandals/with socks pulled up high at
> home ;o)

I thought only Germans wear those.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:56

Whats wrong with the sexy socks & sandals outfit?

err, just kiddin'
I too thought it was a only german domain

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:57

Wear a Canadian flag and say "eh" often in conversation.

The Stones eliminate boarders.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 6, 2006 16:58

Some of you? IORR is not "you" or "us". IORR is people - fans - from 130+ countries. Around 50% from North America (USA, Canada), around 30% from Europe, and around 20% from the rest of the world. Don't give me this "you" talk as an excuse to start a political discussion here. It is not allowed simply because people don't respect each other. Well most do, but there are always a few big mouth experts on all continents, they swarm like flies on a cow shit and they are already swarming here I see. But forget it. I will not tolerate political discussions on IORR.

PS. Of course you areb welcome as an American traveler anywhere in Europe. You might run into extremists anywhere, and I am sure you would not walk around with your wallet loose being all too drunk in East LA, but most people in the world are freindy and open minded. I have been on all contiment and in most countries in Europe and also many others so I should know.

Bjornulf

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 12:30 by LA FORUM.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:02

>
> Most of the Europeans (Germans) I know - and this
> is a generalization - like to not like America
> just because it's trendy. They really have no idea
> at all, however, and it sickens me.

Amen. My point too and as you can see it is very upsetting for Euopeans to be critized.

Date: June 6, 2006 17:06

bv Wrote:

bv: iorr.org is a deadserious site and rolling stones is a deadserious issue? I thought it's only rock'n'roll and humour is a part of it. Even so called bad taste humour? Anarchy has always been a trademark of the Stones I think?

Edit: with all respect - seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-06 17:16 by Hurriganes.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:08

i just tried to remember some good songs with "political attitude".
any suggestions?
i wold go for lou reeds "last great american whale" or
"spanish bombs" - the clash.

Posted by: Friis ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:09

no nervous breakdowns Wrote:
> Friis, I think you forget that our country -
> Denmark - is supporting Bush. Officially. We have
> soldiers in Iraq as well. And we have a government
> supported by one of the most populist right wing
> parties in Europe ( : Western world ).

You are right. And as you might very well be able to see from my comments, I am not supporting the government. We wouldn't have soldiers in Iraq, at least not today, if it wasn't because of the right winged party - Dansk Folkeparti. And the main part of the danish population do not want soldiers there, either.
However, I do think that we should stay in Iraq until things are sorted out, now when we have gone in there. But I think it was wrong of us to go into Iraq in the first place.
I am very unhappy to see, that Dansk Folkeparti keeps gaining strenght and votes. We might see them in a government one day. Fortunality, our Prime Minister might now have a alternative, Radikale Venstre, but I really doubt he want to use them instead of Dansk Folkeparti. And no matter what, I would very much like to see a left winged government after next election. - I am not sure they will succeed with Helle Thorning-Schmidt, though. :\

> I don't like Bush, but I have liked all the
> Americans I have met in my life. It's always been
> a pleasure.

Don't get me wrong on this. Last summer, I went to the US (seattle) with one of my friends, and we stayed there for 3 weeks, living at some of my friends family. I have never met such open-minded people in my life ever before. We met a lot of Americans, and I really liked almost everyone. The woman we stayed at were also very Anti-Bush, so believe me - I am aware that many US citizens do not support him. So I have nothing, nothing at all - against the US citizens.
But I have alot against it's government.
Especially since I am afraid our Prime Minister might just be a puppet of George Bush.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:09

Hey Bassplayer, you are welcome over here in London!!

As some have said, its only a small minority of the un-informed that subscribe to the 'i hate america / americans' fan club, and they quite often have never visited the US.

I have visited the US many times, many cities and have loved every bit of it, i am fascinated by the countries size, the music, the changing climates, the food...

I used to work for the car rental company enterprise, and i spent around 18 months at the heathrow airport location. Because it was an american company we had a very large number of americans coming in from the states and renting the cars. Most were fine, pleasant, friendly. However, some disagree with some of the procedures/ prices etc. and would come out with the classics such as "This is not how we do things back home", or "You guys sure have a lot to learn over here" !! And they would be offended when we didnt accept their US dollars as payment.

These are the people that give americans a bad name, but they are definitely the minority. I know people who dont have much time at all for you guys, however they have never visited the US. Similar to bashing the stones without ever having attended one of their shows.

Come on over!

P.S. In many countries, (all of the U.K) just expressing a strong liking for alcohol, especially beer, will always get you off to a good start!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: June 6, 2006 17:33

bv Wrote:
> they swarm like flies on a cow shit and they are already swarming here I see.

Sounds like a republic politician commenting on Stones in the mid 60'ies. winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:41

I've said it before and I'll say it again, most of us are a lot alike, just good normal hard-working people. We all love our families, friends, and the Stones. We're all worried about war, the environment, AIDS, hunger, etc..

I think this site helps bring together friends from around the world that would have never met any other way (Baboon Bro, for example, in my case). It's great to learn about other people and cultures this way.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:43

VISITED BY MICKsBRAIN CLEAN UP SQUAD. CLEAN UP COMPLETED.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 02:47 by MicksBrain.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home