Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Feeling A Little Uncomfortable
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 6, 2006 07:29

No politics here, just social mores.

I get the impression that some of you don't like Americans. I can understand this, to a point. We tend to regard ourselves as superior, and have a sense of arrogance that comes with power. That's the stereotype. The Ugly American.

So, here's me. A couple of you sorta know me. My family tree comes from Ireland. Been here since the 1750s. No one ever became rich. We're strictly working class.

My family's in West Virginia. Strong old country values. Work hard, love family, like to have fun, love music.

Now, despite my handicap of being an American citizen, would I feel welcome in Europe? I do wanna come over some day, and visit the home country, and see the sights of the mainland.

In my own heart, I think I would feel at home in Ireland.

My question is, would I be welcome to visit? Are there any countries I should avoid? I've never traveled overseas, so this is serious.

Regards,
Glenn

Re: Feeling A Little Uncomfortable
Posted by: CowgirlInTheSand ()
Date: June 6, 2006 07:33

Just be respectful and tolerant of other's culture and country and you should do fine. I think common courtesy is an international language. Not all Europeans abhore Americans. Mostly, they don't care for our government or our politicians.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: June 6, 2006 07:36

Holland will accept you bassplayer, no problemo!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 6, 2006 07:43

I find that if you don't make an issue out of your nationality, other people won't either.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 6, 2006 08:01

The Europeans I've encountered are able to easily separate Americans from American Policy....I have felt very much welcome in Ireland the past two years.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 6, 2006 09:39

you kiddin bassplayer? i love America, i love american people, music, cinema, literature, nature, towns, really everything! You can't judge people by their politicians! You'll be welcome righ here in italy!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 6, 2006 10:26

come and enjoy Europe -no hostilities or problems!

Date: June 6, 2006 10:27

Great Topic! Interesting... I love America too...and I hate it...it's a confusing country to me; the opposites... in every way!The city I felt most at ease in is definitely SAN FRANCISCO, has got the feel of Amsterdam, a bit. But anyway, Americans can be ignorant, arrogant and all that and so can Dutchie's, It's the sheer power of the nation that is 'difficult'. A giant will throw stuff over in any room, right. But; bassplayer, feel welcome, here, anywhere, it's our world.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 6, 2006 10:32

Visit Southern Ireland. I'ts slow and relaxing. As they say, when in Rome, you'll be fine. Infact visit all of Europe. Who cares if you're from USA. Have a great time.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 6, 2006 11:34

Just keep the voice decibels low and you'll be OK!

Posted by: Friis ()
Date: June 6, 2006 11:35

You are welcome in Denmark.

But...
The main part of the danish citizens would never have voted for Bush. I think it was 86%, that would have preferred Kerry. So your politicians aren't really that popular over here.
However, I think we are able to separate your politicians from you as a cituzen. One of the things that is important when going to Europe, I think, is not to play too smart, and assume everyone are able to speak your language. If you just TRY to say some danish words, you will soon be very popular - but if you assume everyone you meet are fluent in english, and have an attitude saying that since you are a american, you should be able to get everything you want - then you won't get very far.
Try to go out and MEET the danish citizens. Most of is actually very nice - but get prepared on politicial discussions as soon as you say you are an American. When travelling, I think the most important thing is ALWAYS to get view into the life of a ... [insert here] citizen. - When you see tourists, head the other way. Go sarch for things, you might not normally discover as a tourist. Find the places to eat, that the Danes prefer. Get some of our national food. Get in touch with the Danes - meet 'em. That's when travelling us fun!

I do not know whether you guys in general think that Danes are afraid of people from other countries? Most of os aren't, but the crise regarding the Muhammed-cartoons scared a lot. I don't think Denmark is the easiest country to be in as a Muslim. Unfortunality. - But as long as you are from Europe or US, I think people will actually be interested in getting to know you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-06 11:37 by Friis.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 6, 2006 11:51

As long as you don't wear socks with your sandals, you'll be welcome here in Spain!

Despite we Europeans like to bash americans sometimes I honestly feel that americans are always welcome here.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 6, 2006 12:15

We're very hostile and hungry for violence in the street I live in. Not towards Americans, but towards everybody that is not inside their own house. I usually take the basement-door, directly to the car when I have to go out.
But I've heard that the Norwegians are non-violent and good people, everywhere else but here.
You're very safe in the big norwegian cities.

Date: June 6, 2006 12:21

I usually sit on this IORR forum, just to rest my fists, after all the fighting.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 6, 2006 12:25

if you're concerned about the reaction you'll get for being American
(though, there's no need to), you can always pretend to be Canadian.

Posted by: Rockman ()

Bassplayer...Ya welcome to come and stay at my place.

Plenty of music, booze and flies...no neighbours but the
best is ya dont have to worry about closing the door...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lorenz ()

Don't worry, bassplayer - you'll be welcome. Of course we have jokes about American tourists, people might give you a strange look if you run around in sandals with socks or in a sweat suit - but you certainly don't have to fear anything!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: June 6, 2006 12:45

LOL, Rockman!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 6, 2006 12:49

The mere fact that you are displaying sensitivity & concern about how you might be received suggests you are the sort of American who will be welcome almost anywhere bassplayer. Hope you enjoy it.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: June 6, 2006 12:51

I spent the fall of last year studying abroad and living in France (I'm American) and felt completely welcomed. I think that if you don't say "why isn't this like in America?" and complain constantly you'll be ok. Accept that the culture is different, and be willing to try new things and you should be fine.

Date: June 6, 2006 12:52

cali stones fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spent the fall of last year studying abroad and
> living in France (I'm American) and felt
> completely welcomed. I think that if you don't
> say "why isn't this like in America?" and complain
> constantly you'll be ok. Accept that the culture
> is different, and be willing to try new things and
> you should be fine.

I was in France at the same time then, studying as well - in Lyon. Where have you been? I enjoyed it a lot!

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: June 6, 2006 12:55

I was in Tours in the Loire Valley for the month of September, and then Paris from October to mid-January. I had a wonderful time, too.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:08

Apart from the socks comment, you should only have in mind what both Friis (Don't have an attitude saying that since you are a american, you should be able to get everything you want) and cali fan said (don't say "why isn't this like in America?") and everything should be OK.

Anyway my main advice would simply be: have common sense. After all we europeans are always considering ourselves more open-minded that americans, LOL!

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: June 6, 2006 13:10

Hey dude get yer ass over here.

Countries for you avoid? Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, most of africa. There are probably one or two others.........

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:33

if you judge countries by their politics,
you could not visit europe neither...

Posted by: Friis ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:57

Twanghound, I beg your pardon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-06 13:58 by Friis.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: June 6, 2006 14:13

i would not compare europe politicians
with mr. bush, but european politics
make me feel uncomfortable too.

"we're talking heroin with the president
it's a problem sir
bur it can be bent
auyeah!"
har har

Date: June 6, 2006 14:20

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-06 14:51 by Lorenz.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 6, 2006 14:26

Just make sure you're not as noisy as most Dutchmen are abroad and you should be fine over here.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 6, 2006 14:44

.....................gogogaga

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 12:29 by LA FORUM.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home