Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Are Your Parents Still Living?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 03:32

A relevant topic, in that I came from a generation whose parents couldn't and didn't appreciate the Stones, or the Beatles, or anything else from those English rockers who co-opted American country and blues and early rock and created something new.

My Dad was born in 1933, and my mom in 1936 (same year as Bill Wyman). Dad was raised with traditional Southern gospel stuff, and Mom never expressed any particular preferences. However, I think both of them liked Elvis. I remember them watching the Beatles' appearances on the Ed Sullivan show, but never heard any opinions. I was 7 years old, and at that time was indifferent.

SO, Dad's now 72, and hasn't changed his opinions much (he's a solid Republican), and Mom died in 1988.

Re: Are Your Parents Still Living?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2006 03:39

Sorry about your mother, bassplayer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-13 03:46 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 04:19

Yep, all 4 of 'em! lol Mom remarried and so did my dad. The cool thing is that my step-mom is the only one of my parents that likes the Stones! She's not a BIG fan like we are but she can listen to some of their stuff. She has Tattoo You. As for the others, dad likes country, mom likes Celine Dion (yuck!) and step-dad likes the big bands from the 1940's. Very diverse bunch of people they are. smiling smiley

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 13, 2006 04:41

my dad will be coming out of mothballs for the Brussells show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-13 04:42 by nikkibong.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 05:46

Yeah both my folks are alive in the mid 60's. Dad is also so conservative now! It boils me up! Can't talk about any politics with him, and he knows Bush is an idiot but refuses to discuss it!

They are not Stones fans but are very supportive of my addiction and were psyched for my about my trip to Shanghai.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 13, 2006 06:44

My parents are of the age where they would appreciate the stones and beatles, but never did. Its kind of frustrating that people in my family dont understand how much I appreciate music, how deeply. they dont see the difference between how I hear it and how they do, but believe me theres a BIG difference. I know that sounds presumptions of me, but trust me its true. but at the same time its okay though, everyone has their own thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-13 06:45 by ryanpow.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 13, 2006 06:55

whitem8, Bush is an idiot? Alright my man, come on over to the "I Was Having Fun Too MicksBrain" Thread and join in, the more enlightened people the better....

OH my parents Dad loves Classical and Jazz, Mom Loves Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Doors, And Coruso....

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 13, 2006 07:08

Lost my dad in 1999 when he was 71. In 2002, when she was 79, I took my mother to the see the Stones!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 13, 2006 07:40

I talk to my dad a lot. he is on another continent. My mother,I don't know what happened. She decided to forsake me. I dig the song from the Faces "Bad'n Ruin".
"Mama don't you recognize your son?"

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 13, 2006 08:06

I realize now my last post was immature and angst ridden. I cant edit it cuz im at a
different computer. oh well...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 13, 2006 08:38

I was just listening to an album today, "Instrumental Gems of the 60's" that has a lot of pre-Beatles/non-rock and roll songs like "Alley Cat" "Calcutta" etc. that are a window not just to a different musical world, but a different world, period.

My parents weren't into rock and roll. My mom loved Dean Martin. They used to watch Laurence Welk every week, and made my brother and I watch it with them. Finally, about 1965 or so, we just rebelled and said we couldn't take it anymore.
(Looking back on it, at least by watching that and other musical variety shows we did get exposed to the "standards" early on--and not learn them through wretched Rod Stewart versions!)

The album market was dominated by "adult" music back in the day, and that continued throughout the mid-60's. The Sound of Music soundtrack was HUGE. At that time, "show tunes" were the melodic songs that dads would whistle on road trips, and not a smirky code word for "gay" music.

Rock was for kids. Adults thought it was "noise." Rock was the focus of Youth Culture. Rock music back then wan't just entertainment--it was bigger than that. To a young person today, I'd have to compare it to computers. It was communication.

I didn't really try to turn my mom onto the Stones. It was my thing. She was pretty cool about tolerating my music when it moved beyond a tinny AM radio and I got my first stereo system. She would even ask me about (she's speaking English with a German accent) "Mike Yagger" sometimes.

Later, I took her to see Dean Martin a couple of times. He was great.

My father died when I was 9. My mother died last May two months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 13, 2006 14:34

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
My mother,I don't know what happened. She decided to forsake me.

Chelsea, that sucks about your mother. That happened to a friend of mine. 20+ years later the mother got in contact again with her. Now that she's knows her a little better, she thanks her lucky stars that the mother left when she did; who knows how she would have turned out, not as normal I would think. Perhaps she saved you a lot of bad times. Easy for me to say, I know. I'm not minimizing how it must have been for you, like I said, the whole thing sucks.

As for me, my father's alive in mid-60's hates the Stones, my mother died when she was 52, she didn't like them either.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 13, 2006 14:38

Yes, theyre stizzay alive . Real niggas recognize the realness.. Pretty old already, though, bizzle `bout 50 years old . Aint no L-I-M-I-to-tha-T. My baby daddy brought me tha Stones music, mah mum gave me Eric Clapton. Tizzle didnt wizzy me ta play guitar until `bout 2 years ago, though . Snoop heffner mixed with a little bit of doggy flint. But Im play'n mah ass of now!

Posted by: turd ()
Date: April 13, 2006 14:44

Old mother Turd is alive and kicking, but barking away in a nursing home.......

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 13, 2006 14:47

turd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old mother Turd is alive and kicking, but barking
> away in a nursing home.......

Mother Turd, now that sounds like someone from South Park.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 13, 2006 15:28

My father died in 1984. He was one of these people who could just pick up any musical instrument and start playing it. He was definitely of the rat pack era, but he liked the Beatles and Elton and I have a vivid memory of being in the car with him when Brown Sugar came on the radio and he turned UP the volume.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 13, 2006 17:36

Hey y'all, I'm coming out of a pain killer haze and thought I'd practice typing again. My parents, surprisingly, are still living and in good health. Dad is 90; Mom is 83. Dad used to play the guitar and croon beautifully to folk songs he learned growing up in the mountains of West Virginia. Mom grew up in the dust bowl of Oklahoma. People sometimes ask my parents what it was like growing up in the Depression to which Dad replies, we were so poor anyway we didn't even know the difference. But what my parents lacked in money, they made up for with love. My parents are very tolerant, caring, people but didn't have a clue about rock and roll when it startd blaring in the house back in the 1960's. I am the youngest of 5 kids, and they let us listen to whatever we wanted, as long as we made good grades and treated others with respect. They even took one of my sisters to a Sly and the Family Stone concert in 1971 and sat in the bleachers by themselves while joints were passed all around them. Sly was a couple of hours late and totally bombed when he finally hit the stage. To this day they still talk about "how high that Sly man was."

I've learned lots of valuable lessons from my parents, some of which I am trying to use as a parent myself. I don't care that my daughters listen to rap music, as long as they get good grades and treat others with respect. Sometimes I have to veto certain songs they want to hear simply because I find the lyrics too offensive. I explain to them why I am vetoing the song and what offends me about it. It is a valuable teaching tool for me, really, as a way to express my values to my children in a context within which they can relate.

Thanks for asking. Y'all have a nice day.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 13, 2006 17:46

Both alive - dad lives in greece and is 68 where me ma is barking at the moon and is 64!

Oh, and to call Bush a idiot aint on.... he's FAR worse than that!

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 17:57

My mother died on my 19th birthday. My father is 72 and doing well. But it was my mum who got me into music. I started playing her records around 13. I'm 45 now. Bill Haley, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, which at around 15 got me into the Stones. Thanks mum!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 14, 2006 11:55

It's good when you can thank your old man for turning you on to the good stuff. Mine most definetly got me into the Stones and much much more.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: silvertrain ()
Date: April 14, 2006 12:53

well, my mother (73) doesn't care much. My father died in 2001, but before that sad year for me, I took him to see the Stones in 1995 in Gijon. He liked the atmosphere, the music, etc so much that again he travelled with me to Vigo in 1998. And again he travelled abroad with me to attend the final two shows at Old Wembley in 1999. So I am very proud of myself..and my personal achievement !!!! and last but not least, my father-in-law (70) is travelling with me to Berlin this summer. We'll both attend the Olympic stadium show there, FOS section !! Who says...we can't always get what we want !!!!!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 14, 2006 12:57

Both are alive and actually about the age of you guys here - dad is 45, mum is 53. Both of them are Stones fans, of course not half as big fans as I am....

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: April 14, 2006 16:20

My Mum is still alive and was more into Johnny cash & Elvis when I was young.

Dad died when I was around 18months old so dont remember him.

Was brought up in a hotel so radio was on in the kitchen from morning till night.

Mum remarried when I was 11 my stepfather is more into classical & Opera.

Went away to school & stayed in a hostel when I was 12 so a lot of different music flying around depended which dorm you went into.

I remember my stepfather coming in to my room to tell me to turn down the din or put my headphones on when I was about 13, much to his horror I was wearing them!!!
Told me I would be deaf before I was 20.

They both think we are mad spending this much on tickets and travel.
According to them we should spend it on the house or invest it.

Dont think there is any chance of persauding them to go to see the stones .

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:10

What a lovely thread. I have only good memories of my parents...we lived somewhat like the Cleavers or the Nelsons as they were on T.V. in a town somewhat like Mayberry when I was growing up. It was very nice until my father died quite unexpectedly when I was 17. I was already into the "Stones"..both were tolerant and thought it was amusing. My Mother passed away in 2000 and I miss her terribly. It does not matter how old you are sometimes when your parents die you feel "orphaned" There are books written about it. I turned 60 last Friday...sounds old, I think...but many of us are still rockin' obviously

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:40

Lost my mom Sept 24th 2004 (expected terminal illness) & shockingly my Dad (unexpected) OCt 5th 2004. Needless to say shitty latter part of 2004 for The Mez.

Mom liked country & Dad early 50's stuff. Both very conservative & not music lovers really MEZ

Posted by: TallDwarf ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:53

Both gone, Mum just before Christmas last. They were both of an earlier era. My Dad hated everything about rock/pop. I remember a big drama when I wanted to stay up late as a wee kid and watch the (bye bye Brian) Hyde Park free concert in London on TV (NZ timezone!). I won .. but it was indicative of a tension right through my teenage years to come. Funny thing though, I thrashed the Doors right through the 70's and my Mum loved Jim Morrison's baritone voice so there you go.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:16

Btw, I don't think Bush is an idiot, he just does idiotic things!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:29

My dad died at 36 and my Mom at 48.

I am sure if my dad was alive we would have some heated conversations about the Stones. My mom was forced to like them Because I jammed them down her throat. She did love wearing any shirt that I had with the Tongue Logo.

LONG LIVE GW.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home