Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Yes, Stones will do Biggest Mistake
Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: April 6, 2006 07:02

That's cool. I very much like that song, I never thought they would choose that one as a single, I think there are others that would do a better job (Let Me Down Slow, Dangerous Beauty, It Won't Take Long), but still that's a good song. I hope they do play it. That would be awesome.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 6, 2006 10:32

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Biggest Mistake is a good song. Probably a better
> song than anyone on this board (including me)
> could write.

what does it mean? of course it is probably - probably - a better song than we all could write. Are you songwriting for a living? I am not. I was talking of the Jagger/Richards songs and, IMHO, BM is one of their worst song in general and ballad in particular. Poppy melody, no special twist in the structure or in the way it is played on record, very low point in that field - the mix between pop-rock and country - in which they were masters. Not to speak of the now too frequent banal lyrics by mick.

Single airplay?
The point to put out another single is to get some airplay? Sell the song to some advertising company an have them put it as the soundtrack of a big campaign. It will work better. Otherwise let people, fans and DJs have what they expect --> The Rolling Stones (those of the licking tongue) that is SSMC way too miles more than BM. If you want to start a thread/contest I am ready to accept the results.

"Let's face it, the material on ABB is very similar, no stand out songs and the singles choices are very hard to find"
You're right and, though I don't put ABB among the masterpieces, I still think it is a great - if too long - album just for that reason. That's why I'm still listening to it. B2B and VL were weaker and perphaps not even filled of singles the way you mean it (maybe with the exeption of Saint of me)

biggest mistake

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: April 6, 2006 10:40

Pretty Good Choice...

A relaxed song.....give it the Waiting On A Friend video treatment. please!

I don't think they should go for a uptemposong.It hasnt worked since 1981.
SSMC and ONNYA are not hat contrived as ASMB, SOM or RAAHP. But anyway.

And they shouldnt go for a sleazy ,but good ballad,....(SOL, OOT) because it hasnt worked either.

Biggest Misstake is a beautiful and natural song. Not a superhitpotential but will represnt Stones 2006 in a good way.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: April 6, 2006 11:00

Why not focus on the positive things guys & gals? Too much negativity around....
A Bigger Bang is an album on the average, just like the last four studio albums. Lots of good stuff there, and when they pick songs form them to play live, they do killer versions of them usually. Saint of me, Out of control, Rough justice, Sparsk will fly, Sad sad sad and so on are good examples of this. I would prefer to hear She saw me coming live though, and maybe taht would do better as a single, but I don't really care so much. I'll buy whatever comes out.

Keep on rollin' people. Soon they'll be in Europe, and I love that!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 6, 2006 11:11

I honestly can't stand the beginning and the pseudo-bridge with those awful choruses "Ooooh, Oooooh, Ooooh". For me it's clearly a song that would need to get rid of the pop feeling and get a true country treatment: forget those poor backing vocals, add a pedal steel... As a single, I honestly don't see it.

Having in mind a release for the european leg Driving Too Fast would get more airplay: it even has a slightly "summer" feeling...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 6, 2006 11:31

bruno Wrote:
>
> Having in mind a release for the european leg
> Driving Too Fast would get more airplay: it even
> has a slightly "summer" feeling...

It's got the speed that suits a rock 'n roll band, plus they sound like everyone wants to hear them: like a simple guitar driven rock 'n roll band!

To hell with these soft ballads! This is the Rolling Stones! A whole new album without one single that rocks? Come on!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 6, 2006 11:34

Let's hope there is a B-side.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 6, 2006 12:08

Christ. If they release the shit song from ABB, which is Biggest Mistake, then they don't know what they're doing. Biggest Mistake is kindda like Streets Of Love (Which is WAY better). SOL didn't do particularly well. For crying out loud release ONNYA backed with BOMH. That's a single. Not the for-sure-worst-song-on-ABB. What's the matter with them? BM is the sole stinker on that album.

EDIT: For JumpingJackGreg.
"Let's face it, the material on ABB is very similar, no stand out songs and the singles choices are very hard to find".

I don't agree.
Stand-outs: RJ, BOMH, ONNYA, LWTCDI, DTF (and maybe TPIE).

Single choices: RJ, BOMH, ONNYA, TPIE for sure.

Very similar? I wouldn't say that. RFD doesn't sound like Infamy.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-06 12:15 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 6, 2006 12:14

Who the f**k is choosing the singles ? !!!!!!!!!!!1

BM AND LMDS are pure Mick solo material IMHO. They could be off of "Dogshit".

She saw me coming
Dangerous Beauty
UNDER THE RADAR

Someone jokingly mentioned a re-release of START ME UP . I'd take that over BM anyday. Perhaps it would remind them how it should be played : CRUNCHY !

SC UK

Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: April 6, 2006 12:29

I think Biggest Mistake proves that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards still are excellent songwriters. This is classic stuff. However, this is the track on ABB that I think of as a missed oppurtinity productionwise. I would love a more transparent acoustic folk- or countrysound, and I do believe that a mandolin (Ronnie Wood!!!) or a 12-string guitar (Keith Richards) could make it an outstanding track.

Jaggers solo-song "Old Habits die Hard" gained very much from a transparent and tasteful production. Speaking of mandolin, remember the tremendous effect of this instrument REMs "Losing my Religion". Just imagine Ronnie Wood on mandolin highlighting the classic beauty of Biggest Mistake...

Kind regards,
Gunnar

Date: April 6, 2006 12:30

I agree with bruno and JKF
understand me
i don't give a damn about BM being packaged and put on stores shelves (where it is likely to remain)
the only problem for me (and a major one) is that if they release it as a single before the european leg of the tour it is very likely that I will have to hear them perform it.
They already play just 20 songs, and only 4 of the new album. I just cant stand that one of those few songs have to be that crappy song.
Release it as a single with SSMC on the bside, then play live the song that suits better a live set.
That's ok with me

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 6, 2006 13:15

The most important thing is Radar and Go Home as the b-sides
of the CD release.

All in all once again a poor choice. The three singles do not
reflect the rocking and straight forward mood of the album.

Date: April 6, 2006 13:31

TooTough Wrote:
> The most important thing is Radar and Go Home as
> the b-sides
> of the CD release.
>
> All in all once again a poor choice. The three
> singles do not
> reflect the rocking and straight forward mood of
> the album.

My point exactly. But where did you get the idea that UTR and WDWGH will be the B-sides?

Date: April 6, 2006 13:33

It would be great. It's annoying that I have to put the DVD on every time I wanna hear them. A CD would be better. Like Well, Well and Extreme Western Grip. It's so annoying that it's on a DVD.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 6, 2006 13:36

But you allready have them, Kent (on CDR as well, I suppose). Wouldn't it be nice to see something new? Or even a live version of one of the songs they played for the first time this tour? Well, everything is better then some lame remixes...

Date: April 6, 2006 13:37

Yes I have them. Not on CD though. Only on the DVDs. It would be nice to get a live song from the new album. In fact that's a great idea.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 6, 2006 13:46

It would be even nicer to have a new song!

Date: April 6, 2006 13:49

Whale Wrote:
> It would be even nicer to have a new song!

Of course. But there were only 18 songs finished for the album/singles/extras for the DVD. Its all out by now.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 6, 2006 14:02

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Whale Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It would be even nicer to have a new song!
>
> Of course. But there were only 18 songs finished for the album/singles/extras for the DVD. Its all out by now.

So we can expect some remixes and/or live versions of other ABB songs as b-sides.

Date: April 6, 2006 17:29

so now I'm listening to Evening Gown which I think play in the same league as BM and, though not a masterpece, it is so way miles better than BM that I can almost feel the pain of it

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: April 6, 2006 17:44

I don't like it, I prefer Driving Too Fast or Look What the Cat

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: April 6, 2006 20:53

Great Choice. Relaxed song.....please give it a Waiting on A Friend videotreatment!

Evening Gown .....by the way.....is one of the best songs of the last 20 years.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 6, 2006 20:57

Evening Gown and BM do not even deserve to be mentioned in the same thread. EG surpasses it so . . .

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 6, 2006 21:03

mr edward Wrote:
> My point exactly. But where did you get the idea
> that UTR and WDWGH will be the B-sides?

I HOPE it will be that way.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: April 6, 2006 22:41

I demand that We Don't Wanna Go Home (Love it!--it's a sing-along) or Under the Radar be released as a single. Please, sirs, make a good choice!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 7, 2006 01:57

Sorry for just leaving a link in my last post in this topic, but it said that we got the info from EMI/Virgin, so now you won´t have to leave here to find out!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2006 02:38

nikkibong Wrote:
>You're wise beyond your years, GeorgeLicks.

he's 367 years old!

> I hope not - I've finally convinced my dad to go
> see the Stones with me in Paris. He's a former
> Stones fanatic, but hasn't seen them since '81. If
> they play SOL, all of my attempts at convincing
> him that the Stones still rock will have been for
> naught!!

where are you from, sir??

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2006 02:47

Gunnar Wrote:
> I think Biggest Mistake proves that Mick Jagger
> and Keith Richards still are excellent
> songwriters.

I very much doubt Keith had anything to do with this song. In fact I would doubt that he was the main songwriter on anything on ABB apart from the 2 songs he sings on and Rough Justice. The lions share of the writing on ABB is by Mick, without a shadow of a doubt.

Since VL (12 years ago) the amount of songs that Keith has written and released would probably not be any more than about ten - and unlike Jagger, he hasnt put out any solo albums - with about 6 of them being on BTB.

If anything that lack of productivity would suggest his muse is somewhat washed up. ABB is a fine album despite that but its quite evident ,in terms of songwriting and inspiration, who the creative partner is these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-07 02:49 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 7, 2006 02:53

......Who is still listening to ABB............and.......what for?????????????.........I've already gone to the dark side and replaced ABB with older stuff.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 7, 2006 03:01

Gazza Wrote:
> nikkibong Wrote:
> >You're wise beyond your years, GeorgeLicks.
>
> he's 367 years old!
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I hope not - I've finally convinced my dad to
> go
> > see the Stones with me in Paris. He's a former
> > Stones fanatic, but hasn't seen them since '81.
> If
> > they play SOL, all of my attempts at convincing
> > him that the Stones still rock will have been
> for
> > naught!!
>
>
> where are you from, sir??

Providence RI, USA. though now I'm living in Portland, OR. And am I right in ascribing Belfast residency to you?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home