Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Yes, Stones will do Biggest Mistake
Date: April 7, 2006 03:02

I have taken a different approach than the one I used for Bridges.I played a few tracks from that album almost every day for months.For ABB,I am listening once a week or once every two weeks.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 7, 2006 03:19

I would agree that BM is pure Jagger. But while maybe there are only 10 100% Keith written songs on the last three albums, that does not mean the rest are 100% Mick songs. I think they always came in with a few songs each and then worked out the rest together. I agree that Mick comes in with a few more now. But Mick and Keith always create in the studio. You can hear Keith's influence on most of ABB songs (IWTL, ONNYA, BOMH come to mind). When you listen to Keith's solo stuff you hear things that help discern things that he influenced on Stones songs (beyond the obvious)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:48

Back of My Hand is all Mick, mate. Its not as if anything bluesy has to be associated with Keith

the fact that Mick is playing slide on it would hardly indicate Keith had much to do with it - plus its hardly the type of song which would require much in the way of collaboration

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:49

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > nikkibong Wrote:
> > >You're wise beyond your years, GeorgeLicks.
> >
> > he's 367 years old!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I hope not - I've finally convinced my dad to
> > go
> > > see the Stones with me in Paris. He's a
> former
> > > Stones fanatic, but hasn't seen them since
> '81.
> > If
> > > they play SOL, all of my attempts at
> convincing
> > > him that the Stones still rock will have been
> > for
> > > naught!!
> >
> >
> > where are you from, sir??
>
>
> Providence RI, USA. though now I'm living in
> Portland, OR. And am I right in ascribing Belfast
> residency to you?

correct-amundo!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:52

oh i'm good.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:56

Rip This Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......Who is still listening to
> ABB............and.......what
> for?????????????.........I've already gone to the
> dark side and replaced ABB with older stuff.

I still enjoy it quite a lot..normally choose to listen to RJ, Let Me Down Slow, and She Saw Me Coming. Driving Too Fast is a blast while rolling down the road and It Won't Be Long continues to grow on me, just as SOL does. ONNYA is pretty damned good too. Hmmm....so I still like 7...beats the shit out of how many I listen to off of Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, and B2B...combined. smiling smiley

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: April 7, 2006 08:57

EDIT: For JumpingJackGreg.
"Let's face it, the material on ABB is very similar, no stand out songs and the singles choices are very hard to find".

Umm I didn't say that. Someone else did. Jesus Christ. Get your quotes right.

Also, tha'ts fine if you dont' like Saint of Me, or Bridges for that matter. I think it's probably their best song they've written since the 70's, but that's just me. I think the lyrics are very well thought out, the backing instruments are interesting, the melody is very very strong, and the video is actually quite cool. Plus it kicked ass live and was a highlight of the Bridges and No Security shows. I think it's a shame they haven't played it much since '99. It's a great song.

I feel that everytime I read this board and respond to things I feel more and more discouraged each time. I think many ppl on this boards are very rude to other posters and really have nothing nice to say about the Rolling Stones. I don't know why you post on this board if you're just going to be an ass to other people and talk crap about the Stones. I understand this is an open forum and yes it would be weird if we never said anything critical, but Jesus Christ, you people are relentless in your attacks on the band. They're 4 of the most talented humans on this planet, let them do their thing. So what if Biggest Mistake isn't in your top 10 favorite Stones songs? Jesus. I'm not going to spend hours on this board complaining about new material that doesn't meet my personal standards. Maybe this is the kind of music the boys want to write; good rock music. And that's what they're doing. They're writing the music that they want to write and they're having fun with it. And the same goes for everyone's least favorite bands u2 and Aerosmith. I'm sure it's incredibly discouraging to the Stones to read this board on occassion b/c most of the posts are about how much Streets of Love sucks or that Ronnie should leave the band. what the hell. You know I also follow a message board of a different band, and those fans are nice people who don't criticize and mock other members. Personally I think Sway is quite boring, but I make fun of people b/c they enjoy it.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: April 7, 2006 12:10

Saint Of Me is soooooo contrived. Worked live though!

BTB is the worst Stonesalbum ever recorded. Well after Dirty Work.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 7, 2006 12:31

OK. It was for MauMau. Sorry for the mix-up....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 7, 2006 12:39

BTW: I heard BM a lt yesterday to check it again (I hear every time I hear ABB too). I came to the conclusion that it is for sure the worst song on ABB, but in Stones terminology that resembles All My Loving (Which is great).

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 8, 2006 00:06

Gazza - not trying to argue. You probably are right about BOMH being pretty much all Mick. But also I think that because Ronnie was not there during beginning of writing/recording, Mick was able to take more guitar parts than he would have otherwise. If a slide would fit in, Keith would want Mick to play it, in the absence of RW.
But anyway I agree KR has been coasting creativity-wise. I think his last period of creativity was spurred by competing with Mick on quality of solo albums. I think he considered himself the winner (and I would agree for sure based on their first two albums). But I think he is content to let Mick come up with most of the ideas and then add his two cents worth. But the bottom line is this approach has not given us any great songs in a while. I think probably Love is Strong is the last great song. There are others that are good to very good. But with ABB as an example, a bunch of good songs don't add up to a great album

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: April 8, 2006 00:45

yes keith is a bit lazy nowadays.

but who could blame him.....he has been writing the best rocknroll music ever. and was one of the best songwriters in the world for about 25 years. respect!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 8, 2006 00:46

According to everyone everything is all Mick. What a bunch of:

Mick is the lead singer of the band. The frontman. It's SUPPOSED to be about him. And, do you really think Keith would even let himself get pushed out of a song because Mick wants to do one of his solo songs?! Get out of here. Perhaps Keith wrote the whole song? It's a good song in my opinion. Nice lyrics, nice melody, very simple.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home