Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who Influenced The Stones!
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 26, 2006 21:31

Is anyone into who influenced the Stones? Or even occasionally play their music.
Big Bill Broonzy, Jimmy Reed, Elmore James, Sonny Boy Williamson, Julian Cannonball Adderley, Muddy, Chuck and Alexis?

Re: Who Influenced The Stones!
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: March 26, 2006 21:38

Yes I love that music, Elmore James gets a lot of spins at my house. But by far my favourite is Howlin Wolf, greatest rock n roll ever made in my opinion.

I also love who was influenced BY the Stones, Johnny Thunders is blasting out this very moment here in my room. Check out Johhny Thunders and Patti Palladin "Copy Cats" a classic covers album.

Date: March 26, 2006 21:39

Peter May and Denis Compton were a big influence on Jagger.

Date: March 27, 2006 13:19

This post has only two responders. Is that because a lot of IORR members are too young to remember these old muscians? If so try and give them a listen. It's part of the history of the Stones. I listen to all of them sometimes. Big Bill Broonzy recordings sound like they were made a 1,000 years ago. Brian used to crash out at Alexis' house only to find some of his heroes like Big Bill around him. Does that help you younger dudes put it all into perspective. Things were different then. Two Polish immigrant brothers did a lot for music and us Stones fans. They set up the Chicago based Chess studios.

Sorry humanriff, how could I ever forger Howlin' Woolf.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 27, 2006 13:42

I've got a few Sonny Boy Williamson but to be honest you gotta be patient to wade through the blues stuff alot of the time......

Posted by: percystokes ()
Date: March 27, 2006 14:54

I just love all that old blues stuff Jagger 50 , and I thank The Rolling Stones for opening my ears to it. If it wasn't for them most of that stuff probably wouldn't have re surfaced and alot of those great artists like Muddy, Howlin, Sonny boy, John Lee,etc etc wouldn't have enjoyed the popularity that they eventually received.
In my humble opinion The Rolling Stones were one of only a few British blues bands that did the blues justice . Alot of the white bands of then and now who call[ed] themselves blues bands are not.
The Rolling Stones are not just a blues band though,they were influenced by almost all types of music.......Country,Rocknroll,Reggae,Gospel, Jazz,etc, and still are being influenced by newer styles of music.........Punk,New Wave, rap....etc etc. They have always kept their ears open for new ideas..... Hey, and while they are makin all this wonderful music they are doing it with a sense of humour and playing it with all their heart and soul...and with taste!...They are unique ....there will never be another band like The Rolling Stones ........Long Live The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 27, 2006 14:57

jagger50 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is anyone into who influenced the Stones? Or even
> occasionally play their music.

of course. Isnt everyone? Or have I got the wrong band?

Date: March 27, 2006 15:42

Gazza Wrote:
> jagger50 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is anyone into who influenced the Stones? Or
> even
> > occasionally play their music.
>
>
> of course. Isnt everyone? Or have I got the wrong
> band?
>

You'd be surprised Gazza what people don't know about the Stones roots.

Date: March 27, 2006 15:43

Hi percystokes, well written and spot on.

Posted by: percystokes ()
Date: March 27, 2006 15:59

Hi to you too Jagger50...great post by the way!.... thanx

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 27, 2006 16:10

how deep rooted, with the influences do you want to go?

You've focused on the great U.S Blue singers/performers of the early part of the 20th Century, but please don't overlook the likes of
Lonnie Donegan (King of Skiffle)-
i was reminded of this man's legacy and influence, at the Carlo Little Memorial concert, last night.

Date: March 27, 2006 16:18

Brian was quoted as saying "I discovered Elmore James, and the earth seemed to shudder on it's axis." Brian's third child was called Julian Mark after Julian Cannonball Adderley, Brian's favourite muscian.

Just a couple of testaments to that new blues sound comming over from America.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 27, 2006 16:28

Little Walter influenced Jagger. And later on Jagger copped from Van Morrison.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 27, 2006 16:51

I listen allot of Robert Johnson.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 27, 2006 17:14

I"ve always tried to track down the influences that aren't so obvious. Everyone know about Berry, Little Richard, Muddy etc... but who influenced them on High and Dry or Factory Girl? What was Keith listening to when he came up with You Got the Silver? Where did the get The Moon is Up?

We had a band in high school and of course, we wanted to be the Stones but once we really got in to their music, we started to listen to the blues, country, bluegrass, old rock and roll, folk, soul, Motown....

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 27, 2006 17:15

I listen to the blues a lot & my fave is the pre-war 'country' blues period altho the post war Chicago sound is a close second. I'm also a Leadbelly 12-string guitar freak, got a 27cd compilation of his just before Xmas. I discovered the blues from 2 directions.

One was thru Dylan, via Woody Guthrie & the musicians he hung out with such as Sonny Terry which got me interested in where he came from, which led me to the blues of the 20's & 30's.

The second route was via the Stones, Pretty Things & Animals, which led into the 50's Chicago scene, & then Robert Johnson via Muddy & Elmore, which then met up with the thread via Dylan.

In turns of tasty fingerpicking Blind Blake is it for me.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 27, 2006 17:28

I have this little theory that Jagger's shouting, howling and growling on the STP '72 tour was influenced by Camerón de la Isla, the legendary flamenco singer who died in the early '90s and who had his breakthrough around 1970. Jaggers singing is so radically different in 72, with a high, shrill expressiveness that wasn't there in 69 (just compare the GS's). Can't remember having seen his name mentioned in Stones books or interviews but I have read an interview with the makers of a doc about Cameron who said they'd tried in vain to get Jagger to work with them, as an admirer and fan. One of Camérons nicknames btw was the Mick Jagger van Cádiz.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 27, 2006 17:36

Jagger was influenced a lot by James Brown and Little Richard.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 27, 2006 17:37

a friend of mine who is a musician, historian and has a historical r&b radio show insists that mick picked up a lot his characterisic stylings from Don Covay...
i've only had a tiny bit of exposure to Covay but immediately could see his point.

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: March 27, 2006 18:03

Freddy King and Albert King are two of the greatest blues guitarists, and MT has said in interviews they are his main influences. Dylan influenced not just Jagger but Keith and Woody as well. Sometimes I think Ian Stewart sounded like Lux Lewis, which isnt a bad thing.

Date: March 27, 2006 18:33

Adrian-L Wrote:
> how deep rooted, with the influences do you want
> to go?
>
> You've focused on the great U.S Blue
> singers/performers of the early part of the 20th
> Century, but please don't overlook the likes of
> Lonnie Donegan (King of Skiffle)-
> i was reminded of this man's legacy and
> influence, at the Carlo Little Memorial concert,
> last night.

As far back as possible.

Of course Lonnie Donegan was in the late 1950's a musical passport to rebellion.
And many skiffle groups were started in UK because you didn't need so much cash to.

I have read that possibly the blues roots came from the Missisippii Delta. Can you imagine in the very begining two cats with a long baton of wood with two nails holding proud a cat gut line. And getting a sound out of it. I can almost hear it now.

Before I forget skiffle was the very begining of the Beatles (Quarrymen).

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 27, 2006 18:54

I'll admit that I "backdoored" into the blooze by way of bands like the Stones and Animals. But, the blooze are easily my favorite genre of music. Not a day goes by when I'm not listening to blooze (jazz, too, for that matter). Just downloaded a new find - a rare Muddy Waters' band torrent from 1996 at the famed Big John's in Chicago. Horrible recording - wonderful to listen to! I just eat this stuff up.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 27, 2006 19:03

been searching and listening a little...

yeh mick definetly copped a lot of his vocal stylings from Don Covay's original approach and execution...listen to his stuff sometime.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home