Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Aerosmith- Still Rocking?
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:41

I have every album. I enjoy Pump the most.

Re: Aerosmith- Still Rocking?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:44

I think they should have stayed on drugs. They are lame since the quit drugs. All their slow crappy songs sound the same.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:51

Their new tour is terrific as have been the last several. Saw them a couple months ago and I'm going again in a couple weeks. FORTUNATELY they relegate all but one their modern power ballads to the "maybe next time file." Lately they've been trotting out "I Don'T Want To Miss A Thing" for the piss-break. They are also playing on a big, high tech stage. More elaborate than their usual '70s style big logo in the background set-up.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:53

Great set-lists this tour and Joe Perry plays one of the songs of his last LP ("Shakin' My Cage"). I'd like to see them in Europe !

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:33

I think it's cool that Joe Perry does one of his solo songs. I mean, imagine if Keith busted out with Take It So Hard at a Stones show.

Posted by: monkeygripglue ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:48

aerosmith can't even write their own material...ever look at the song credits???

...then i find out later that steve hunter and dick wagner played all of the good guitars on 'get your wings'...

as a kid i went to see them and they were a drunk, sloppy mess..and not in a good way...

all of their credibility went out of the window as soon as they started hanging out with desmond chid.

screw 'em

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:51

The "Rocks" lp must be one of the greatest heavy metal records of all time.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 25, 2006 00:00

monkeygripglue said:
aerosmith can't even write their own material...ever look at the song credits???

...then i find out later that steve hunter and dick wagner played all of the good guitars on 'get your wings'...

as a kid i went to see them and they were a drunk, sloppy mess..and not in a good way...

all of their credibility went out of the window as soon as they started hanging out with desmond chid.

screw 'em

Hello my adhesive clutching, banana eating, tree climbing friend.
I saw them at a big outdoor show in September 1979 called the Champagne Jam, in Atlanta. When they finally came on stage they were even more wasted than the crowd, and they were so f***ing loud that they blew their sound system totally out on their first song, Train Kept a Rollin'. They got the sound back up and proceeded to perform one of the loudest,rockingest, drug fueled shows I've ever seen. God it was great. As JJFlash implied earlier, when the band later sobered up, so did their music. God I miss those drug crazy bastards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-25 18:10 by Lukester.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 00:06

Aerosmith is a good band and yeah, I'd say they're still rocking. Although, I could REALLY do without the power ballads! They are boring! And the songwriting credits should just stay between the 5 of them. Just my opinion. smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:10

I think one of the reasons that Aerosmith has remained popular is the fact that that they have gotten outside help for their songwriting. They're still touring and will be in Vancouver in a little over a month with Cheap Trick opening. Should be an awesome show. They've also had Lenny Kravitz opening and they did the big co-headlining tour with KISS a couple years ago.
They were basically down and out at the end of the 70's when Joe Perry quit and then Brad Whitford soon after. Run DMC doing Walk This Way opened them up to a new generation of fans. They have now outsold the Stones in album sales in the US.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:13

It's more like- When Where They Rocking? Seriously, which are their good albums? Any besides Rocks?

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:24

I think Aerosmith are a much maligned and under-respected band, outside of their fan basis.

I saw them on the "Pump" tour in the UK and they were dazzling. It was at the Livingston Forum (Scotland), a then little used venue for major rock gigs.
The main section of the venue was standing and this made for a explosive atmosphere.

I had, even then, been to dozens of rock gigs and the roar released by the crowd when they came on stage was probably the loudest roar I have heard to date from any crowd.

SD

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:38

I dont think they are as good as they used to be by a long way- far too mnay ballads like 'I don t want to miss a thing' over the last few years.

Pump is good, but draw the line, train kept a rollin are classics and they dont seem to be able, or maybe want to get that kind of sound any more. THe comment about Desmond Child I would agree with. Wasn't Permanent Vacation a sort of Comeback Album with a load of outside writers ? I cant remember if it was that one, pretty sure it was that gave them a kick start and they havent really changed the formula since then.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:38

They are still rocking. Actually in the live department, they are rocking a lot harder now than in the 90's. Here is are some comments I posted from Wedensday's show at Staples Center in Los AngeleS. Only 3 songs from the MTV era:

I was going to go see Supergrass last night but it was sold out and after seeing the setlists for this particular tour I knew I couldn't pass it up.

Scored a cheap ticket in the Premier section, which is usually reserved for season ticket holders. Private VIP entrance, shorter lines for concessions and restrooms, nice carpeting, less crowded, celebrity sightings (Greg Brady, John Fogerty), much friendlier staff since everyone walking through those doors is supposed to some sort of hot shot.

Bought the tickets around 7:40 which almost made me wish I held out longer for a better bargain but it just seemed right to jump on those. Even got a parking pass with it though I didn't need it. The guy should have found the VIP parking lot and tried to get a few bucks for it there. Didn't really occur to me to do that til after the show though.

Stayed in the lobby for Lenny Kravitz. Sounded just fine out there. He played way too long, seemed like 90 mins. It sounded okay when he was rockin' but some of the songs just dragged.

The changeover was pretty quick. Aerosmith played about 100 mins. Kinda shorter than I am used to them playing but adding 6 or so MTV era songs for a 135 min set definitely would NOT have made for a better show. Saw a few songs I never saw them do live. SOS sounded pretty good, No More No More they totally nailed it. Train Kept A Rollin' was played like the Get Your Wings version. Baby Please Dont Go had a nice long jam.

Steven Tyler yelled at security at some point "Would you let them come up here?" and the crowd in the front rushed forward. Tyler, Perry and Hamilton spent a lot of time on the ramps. They would jam next to each other a little bit but often were all about 20 feet or more apart from each other. Draw The Line was awesome. Joe still takes his shirt off and beats on the guitar with it.

Anaheim is looking really tempting now

Might add more as I remember it, here is the setlist:

01. Helter Skelter
02. Walk This Way
03. Same Old Song And Dance
04. Cryin'
05. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
06. Livin' On The Edge
07. Shakin' My Cage
08. Stop Messin' Around
09. Sweet Emotion
10. Seasons Of Wither
11. Dream On
12. No More No More
13. Baby Please Dont Go
14. Train Kept A Rollin' (like On Get Your Wings)
---
15. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
16. Back In The Saddle
17. Draw The Line
-Happy Birthday To Brad Whitford/introducing the band-

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:52

CC said:
>It's more like- When Where They Rocking? Seriously, which are their good albums? Any besides Rocks?>

I think 'Live bootleg', 'Toys in the attic' and 'Draw the line' are great rock 'n roll records.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:53

I only saw them in i think '86 on the "we need money" tour. Not so good. probably better now, but I really don't like the new stuff too much.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 25, 2006 02:03

Hey, Aerosmith are one of the best bands around! Great live shows and great musicianship! I too wish so bad to see them in Europe. According to me, their best records are Toys In The Attic, Rocks, Draw The Line, and Get A Grip. The latter is so good, hard rocking and with an excellent production. In comparison, their next record, Nine Lives, is just an overprodiced, lame, and uninspired record, notwithstanding Just Push Play, which is by far their worst effort so far. They definitely are still rocking, and frankly I wish that Rolling Stones' guitar players (especially Ronnie, since Keith is kicking ass big time) were as in shape as Aerosmith's ones are

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 25, 2006 02:09

RnT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CC said:
> >It's more like- When Where They Rocking?
> Seriously, which are their good albums? Any
> besides Rocks?>
>
> I think 'Live bootleg', 'Toys in the attic' and
> 'Draw the line' are great rock 'n roll records.

Amen. Most of their '70s stuff kicks ass. I haven't cared for anything they've done since. I still cringe when I hear Love In An Elevator and all that other overly commercial crap.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 03:12

I just got tickets to see them tonight at the Pond, should be a good show.

Josh

Date: February 25, 2006 03:41

Yeah Nine Lives (and the subsequent tour) and Just Push Play actually drove me off for awhile til I went to a gig because Cheap Trick was opening and they were totally "on" that night, and though it was still heavy on more recent material, they were starting to return to form.

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: February 25, 2006 05:59

A great band,one of my fav's and I'd love to see them play live again but they don't tour Australia too much...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 25, 2006 09:54

They are down to a 15-16 song set list. They jumped the shark when they stopped doing drugs.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 25, 2006 10:15

I saw them a few times in '93-'95 and they were consistently amazing.

Saw them once in '97 and they were really mediocre - it was like they'd lost their spark or something. I'd say it was an off-night, but it was in Boston, so you'd think they'd be able to get it up for the hometown crowd.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2006 12:05

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they should have stayed on drugs. They are
> lame since the quit drugs. All their slow crappy
> songs sound the same.

But then again: I think Honkin' On Bobo is very very cool. Check out Roadrunner. Best version ever.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: homerus ()
Date: February 25, 2006 13:55

Have they ever toured in Europe?

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 25, 2006 14:20

They are still quite good. Not in the same league as the Stones, but no one is. If the stones are orth $359, Aerosmith is worth $125 on a relative scale.

Joe Perry plays as well as ever, Tyler's voice and stamina haven't not held up as well as Mick's that's for sure. Just say no to plastic surgery!

Date: February 25, 2006 20:02

I am not sure if '97 was a fluke. I saw them that year and it was incredibly boring, it was several tours later until I went back, and that was just to see the opener. I am quite happy with the shorter sets. It looks lame on paper but when I saw the Stones in Fresno, it seemed like 20 was too many for that crowd.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 21:01

Isn't Steve Tyler's daughter georgous.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 25, 2006 21:09

Never into them much. I like the 1970's period moreso. The hits & such from late 80's till now really don't care for. I hear from # of friends who like they even feel don't sound very good live, tylers screeches etc. But many hear saying sound awesome live. Dunno. Overated I think but not terrible MEZ

Posted by: Woody_Voodoo ()
Date: February 25, 2006 21:46

About the Toxic Twins good old drug days - What sort of stuff were they on anyway?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home