Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Aerosmith- Still Rocking?
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 25, 2006 22:33

>About the Toxic Twins good old drug days - What sort of stuff were they on anyway?

Cocaine, heroin, pills, just about whatever they could get their hands on. That was Tyler and Perry. Tom Hamilton outgrew the hard drugs a lot earlier than the ohers, but they still "intervened" to get him to stop smoking pot!

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: February 26, 2006 18:00

I love Aerosmith, I live in the same State they're from, Massachusetts, and we feel they belong to US! I've seen them at least 12 times and they are always HOT, but the last time I saw them, in 2001, they were way too loud! A crappy band called FUEL opened for them and I swear they were trying to compete with their painfully loud set! They played a place in Connecticutt called the Meadows,half of the crowd was outside on the lawn area, the rest of the audience was in a semi-sheltered arena. I was in row 8 and I couldn't hear for 3 days, not funny! I do have their entire catelog and I can objectively say they have had a few lousy cds, like DRAW THE LINE ( sucks except for title track), and Just Push Play. On the other hand, cds like PUMP, TOYS IN THE ATTIC, GET A GRIP, BIG ONES,LIVE BOOTLEG, GET YOUR WINGS, and ROCKS are great rock'n roll! GET A GRIP and PUMP are two of my favorites and as far as single tunes go, I've always loved " Seasons of Wither".

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 26, 2006 19:42

They were disscusing the Get A Grip title. One said what about Pitbulls On Crack. A reply came: "Get a grip".

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 26, 2006 20:20

Post-rehab Aerosmith gets a lot of crap, but Pump and Get A Grip are very solid albums - they have their cheesy moments, but there's some good rock on there. The Making of Pump documentary is worthwhile, too - interesting to watch the creative process and, between Perry's New Hampshah accent and Tyler's insanity, it's pretty damn funny.

I kind of gave up on them after the abortions that were Nine Lives and Just Push Play (even though I love Jaded - I'm a sucker for a big chorus). Is Bobo worth picking up? It's all early rock & blues covers, right?

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:04

Saw them in albany,ny in november and they were smoking! I was realy pleased. Great stage too!

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:37

I used to love them. Then their big come back seemed to be rock ballads (most sucked) and commerical pop rock crap. Although as bassaleman said they probably still rock pretty good live.

I know they must have realized the commercial pop-infused rock stuff sells more records.

The toxic twins became the tame twins.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:41

J.J. Flash hit the nail on the head- since they quit drugs, they seem a pale imitation of their former selves.

Date: February 27, 2006 11:20

<I think they should have stayed on drugs. They are lame since the quit drugs.>

"Permanent Vacation" lame??? Come on man. Can't say records like "Done With Mirros" and "Night In The Ruts" were even close

Date: February 27, 2006 11:22

<Seriously, which are their good albums? Any besides Rocks?>

Make It
Toys In The Attic
Draw The Line
Permanent Vacation
Honkin' On Bobo

And the excellent box set: Pandora's Box!

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: February 27, 2006 13:41

still farting

Date: February 27, 2006 14:39

Yes, I forgot all about " Permenant Vacation," an awesome cd! BOBO is good, not great! I ran out to buy it and should have downloaded it to be honest.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 27, 2006 14:57

Whatever they are doing these days - those live shows that are not really live shows, the albums that are written by outside 9-5 Rockwriters, the guitars played by who knows? plus the synth pads...all are what they call Aertosmith today.
But the real Aerosmith is "Rocks", ""Toys in the Attic", "Draw the Line" and "Bootleg". That is it. Even the first one had Hunter abnd Wagner from the 70
s playing the guitars. There was some interview in one of the Guitar Mags where Perry was going on about the work he did on those tunes; maybe "Train kept a rollin". I think it was one of those articles that put Hunter and Wagner over the edge where they finally exploded.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 27, 2006 15:02

Well having seen Aerosmith at least a dozen times, I can say Perry sure IS laying his guitar! I know they do have song writing help, but so what? It's no different than doing a blues cover tune! As far as " canned" guitars in the background, it must be very artfully woven in because it sure isn't noticeable!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 27, 2006 15:11

I love Aerosmtih!!!!
They are great on cd and live. Perry and Whithford still play great live. They didn't loose much over the years.
Check out there live dvd from the Honkin'on Bobo cd (great cd by the way!), you see them playing in the studio. Now i don't really get what some are after about other people playing because they play great during those sections!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: February 27, 2006 16:00

On the 1994 tour, Perry had a spot with a long slide solo - it was loaded with other guitar tracks. But I haven't heard (or recognised) "canned guitars" on other live tracks...

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: February 27, 2006 17:25

is it safe to say there are a lot of aerosmith to stones comparisons in this post?
they had some bad shows when totally wasted (shows from mid70s-80s)
no one likes their new power ballads (streets of love)
they had some classic old stuff, but trying to seem cool and modern hurts them (anybody seen my baby, etc etc etc)
they still put on a good rock show
they play a shorter show then they have in recent years
they have a good stage
joe perry can still pull off an amazing solo (keith most night, ronnie some)
songwriters don't help their songs

etc etc etc

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home