Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Waren Zevon
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 11, 2006 05:52

One of the most under rated singer/songwriters ever, in my opinion. Springsteen and Dylan are big fans and contributed tracks to the Zevon tribute album a few years ago.

My favorite Zevon albums are "Warren Zevon" (1976), "Excitable Boy" (1978), "Sentimental Hygenie" (1987), "Mr. Bad Example' (1991). "My Ride's Here" (2002) and "The Wind" (2003). Zevon has some of the most literate and compelling lyrics ever, and is a great musician besides. And his albums always have top notch guys like Waddy Watchell playing on them. Any other Zevon fans out there?

Re: OT: Waren Zevon
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2006 06:01

Yep...very much so

Saw him in concert a couple of times....with a terrific band on the Sentimental Hygiene tour and then again on his solo tour in 2000 (which I think was his last one)

excellent and very funny live performer

Date: February 11, 2006 06:08

I saw him in '91 with a band (opening act The Odds) and in '93 solo. Amazing performances both times!

My friends stil kid me because a local TV station went around in '91 as we were standing in line and asked us to howl like a werewolf (of London). Of course I was the only one goofy enough to do it, then forgot all about it. The next day my friend Harry calls me and says "I was sitting on my couch watching TV, and a local news promo comes on that says 'Are there werewolves in Louisville? Stay tuned for the frightening truth!,' followed immediately by your ugly face shoved right up in the camera, howling like a loon!" He said it nearly put him off his dinner!

Posted by: Rocfair ()
Date: February 11, 2006 07:18

One of my favorite all time solo recording artists: WARREN ZEVON!

Saw him over 12 times between 1988 and 2000 when he virtually "ruled" the legendary 1st Avenue nightclub in Minneapolis. Warren refered to 1st Avenue as "The best damn saloon in the Country". He played solo and with bands sometime 2 times per year.

His depth of music extended way beyond his top 40: "Werewolves of London". Warren penned Hits for the following artists: Linda Ronstadt - "Poor poor Pitiful Me", "Hasten down the Wind", "Mohammeds Radio" and "Carmelita". Stevie Nicks: "Reconsider Me". Terri Clark: "Poor poor Pitiful Me". Rick Derringer and Meatloaf both recorded versions of "Lawyers, Guns and Money".

Was a Special guest at Minnesota Governor: Jesse Ventura's 1999 Inaguration. Warrren performed "Lawyers, Guns and Money" and "Werewolves of London" (with Ventura singing a cameo). before 18,000 fans at the Target Center in Minneapolis.

Warren finally won 2 Grammys in 2004 for Best Folk album: "The Wind" and Best rock duo for "Disorder in the House" with Bruce Springsteen. Unfortunately he had to die (September 7, 2003) before the Music Industry recognized his extraordinary talent.

I had the rare pleasure to meet Zevon several times after his Concerts. He was intelligent, witty, talkative and always there for his Fans. One of great singer songwriters.

Check out his extensive catalog if you get a chance.

Don

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 11, 2006 09:36

warren was brilliant.. Davivd Lindley played some of the most beautiful lines on those records. Don't forget Waddy's input, I believe a co-write on Werewolves..

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: February 11, 2006 11:51

a long time favorite of mine too. I recommend any zevon album,but the late ones like Mutineer, Life'll kill ya suffered from poor production I thought. Some very strong songs on those records. I was quite upset by his death and still dont really enjoy listening to the final album 'THE WIND'.not becasue its weak, just that its so difficult to get the poignant nature of it out of your mind - bloody typical that it should sell in bucket loads because of his death.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 12, 2006 00:10

Transverse City: my 1st Zevon disc, I got it cheap, but it suffers from 1980s production style, but the listener is rewarded once accustomed to the vintage keyboards.

Mr Bad Example: only my 3rd Zevon disc, but probably the best, I found a used copy somewhere. He's got a great band on that one

Life'll Kill Ya: my 2nd Zevon disc, I bought it new, it's got some well arranged songs, but also some boring ones. Not his best, but it has its moments.

The Wind: my 4th Zevon disc, got it new as well, after listening carefully, since I left out My Ride's Here because I didn't like it; it's an all-star affair of sorts, so the band is solid, but not always good.

So my ranking for these 4 would be:

1Mr Bad Example
2The Wind
3Transverse City
4Life'll Kill Ya

I hope that helps people decide which disc to go for.

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: February 12, 2006 00:21

THE FACTORY.........Warren Zevon with Bob Dylan

[s13.yousendit.com]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 12, 2006 01:06

Zevon never got his due...great, great singer/songwriter/performer who should have been filling stadiums and arenas...

Date: February 12, 2006 01:57

dont go too strong mate................

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: February 12, 2006 02:20

Hey Billy ,

thanks! I don't have that one yet. Like you, I have a huge glut of dylan boots. I am in the process of putting together a multi-disc dylan set with all the songs listed on bobdylan.com as well as the cherries you post like this last one. Keep them coming!

It would be terrific to get a live Dylan 1984 show with Mick Taylor (except Barcelona which I have already). Even better would be the complete Oklahoma City or Montréal Dylan performance on MP3 "you send it".

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 12, 2006 02:32

while some of you are on a Dylan tangent...i've got to ask about the legendary "Supper Club, N.Y." performances from the '90s.....do they live up to their reputation?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 12, 2006 02:40

Leonard, what a coincidence! You'll have the Supper Club in the mail very soon!!

Date: February 12, 2006 02:55

Leonard,

The Supper Club performances are great. I just love "Walk a mile in my shoes". I love both this version and Elvis Presley's version from the Live in Vegas boxset.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 12, 2006 02:57

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leonard, what a coincidence! You'll have the
> Supper Club in the mail very soon!!

Erik.....we're connected man! smiling smiley....some strange coincedences here today.........and Charles, thanks for the info...appreciate that

Date: February 12, 2006 03:01

Charles Wrote:
> Leonard,
>
> The Supper Club performances are great. I just
> love "Walk a mile in my shoes". I love both this
> version and Elvis Presley's version from the Live
> in Vegas boxset.
>
> Charles Baudelaire
> 1821-1869

that song is not from the supper club.its from here........

[bobsboots.com]

Date: February 12, 2006 03:03

[bobsboots.com]

2nd ,3rd and 4th shows at bottom of link...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-12 03:03 by billy318124.

Date: February 12, 2006 03:04

vastly over rated ........as is "toads"

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: February 12, 2006 03:11

Speaking of Warren Zevon,Check out "Hindu love gods" Warren Zevon backed by R.E.M. Great cover of Prince's song "Raspberry beret."

Date: February 12, 2006 19:17

One of the all-time greats, and a personal favorite. Saw him more than a dozen times both solo and with band. I really miss him. Check out youtube.com to see one of his last live performances, on David Lettermen, doing the classic Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2006 20:11

Remember watching that Letterman show when I was in LA for the Stones shows in October 2002.

An amazing gesture by Letterman and his producers to give the entire show over to a guest appearance by an artist who was, lets face it, hardly a household name

It was an incredible hour of television. Warren's performance was fantastic and his interview both sad and hilarious at the same time. It really was a classic case of 'gallows humour'

Date: February 12, 2006 21:15

S[s52.yousendit.com]

ADVERTISEMENT - Clicking will not affect transfer.
TREET ROCK......Kurtis Blow with Bob Dylan

STREET ROCK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-12 21:19 by billy318124.

Date: February 12, 2006 21:25

pledge my head to heaven

keith green with bob dylan

[s52.yousendit.com]

Date: February 12, 2006 21:26

Date: February 12, 2006 21:31

Gazza Wrote:
> Remember watching that Letterman show when I was
> in LA for the Stones shows in October 2002.
>
> An amazing gesture by Letterman and his producers
> to give the entire show over to a guest appearance
> by an artist who was, lets face it, hardly a
> household name
>
> It was an incredible hour of television. Warren's
> performance was fantastic and his interview both
> sad and hilarious at the same time. It really was
> a classic case of 'gallows humour'

That was a great Letterman. The best part for me was Zevon's answer when Letterman asked him if he had any final words of wisdom to share. Zevon said everyone should realize you never know when you're going to go, so people should remember to "enjoy every sandwich."

Date: February 12, 2006 21:35

kienan Wrote:
> Speaking of Warren Zevon,Check out "Hindu love
> gods" Warren Zevon backed by R.E.M. Great cover of
> Prince's song "Raspberry beret."

So true. I forgot to list that one in my favorites. Lots of great blues covers (Mannish Boy, Wang Dang Doodle, Travleing Riverside Blues) and the Prince song as you mentioned. There's a great sense of fun and blowing off steam on that album - it was recorded between takes while R.E.M. was backing Zevon for his Sentimental Hygiene album. I've often wondered if there are some more out takes from those sessions that will see the light of day at some point.

Date: February 12, 2006 21:39

Billy,

What is the "S" you send it? Could you tell me please? As well do you have that Dylan compilation with the Bobsboot link you posted? Could you "you send it" all the tracks on it ? I'd love to hear the duet with Brian Wilson.

Thanks,

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: February 12, 2006 21:44

i only know how to post one song at a time.the brian wilson track is in the other thread if not this one.im off out now will post it for you tomorrow if you cant find it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 12, 2006 22:25

I'm a huge zevon fan. The first 3 records plus the live Stand in the Fire are great, but 1987's Sentimental Hygiene might be his best overall album, and a good intro for beginners. I think a deeper appreciation of the Life'll Kill Ya album comes with time. He really pared his songwriting down to the basics in a profound way. The Wind ended up somewhat overrated... hard to separate it from the events surrounding it.

On his first solo acoustic tour - '83, I think - he often did a few verses of "Before They Make Me Run" or "Start Me Up." Those are great shows, lots of energy as he was trying to come back.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 13, 2006 00:10

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> kienan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Speaking of Warren Zevon,Check out "Hindu
> love
> > gods" Warren Zevon backed by R.E.M. Great
> cover of
> > Prince's song "Raspberry beret."
>
> So true. I forgot to list that one in my
> favorites. Lots of great blues covers (Mannish
> Boy, Wang Dang Doodle, Travleing Riverside Blues)
> and the Prince song as you mentioned. There's a
> great sense of fun and blowing off steam on that
> album - it was recorded between takes while R.E.M.
> was backing Zevon for his Sentimental Hygiene
> album. I've often wondered if there are some more
> out takes from those sessions that will see the
> light of day at some point.

Yeah, I have this one, too. As a backing band, the Buck/Mills/Berry combo is vastly underrated. Straying off topic for just a moment, REM was never the same after Bill Berry left.

As for "Hindu Love Gods", I'm very happy that I bought it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home