Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Steve Jordan´s Snare Hit
Date: May 8, 2024 19:23

I like this one:

RIP Charlie.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 9, 2024 02:12

There's something about Charlie... I have to say that Steve Jordan is a more consistent drummer, and I like him, by all means, but... Charlie had a unique feel. He was not by any means true to the studio recordings, and even not particularly technical, but still. He had the swing. When he didn't click with the rest of the band, it was cringeworthy, but when it clicked... That made it exciting and it created a tension. There's nothing Jordan can do to match that, and he probably knows it.

Then the rest of the band aren't what they were in their prime.

Edit: Live By the Sword on Hackney... Though not the best Stones tune, Charlie and Bill locking together on that tune. That makes the album for me.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 02:27 by audun-eg.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2024 05:45

Testify
RS stadium concerts have a lot of technology, how fast SMU has to be played, Steve doesn't decide, but it's a very specific choice of the band, which is made beforehand and they usually play on a click track.

The Rolling Stones don't use click tracks for live shows. Why you would think such a thing is beyond me.

Ridiculous.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 9, 2024 16:24

GasLightStreet
Testify
RS stadium concerts have a lot of technology, how fast SMU has to be played, Steve doesn't decide, but it's a very specific choice of the band, which is made beforehand and they usually play on a click track.

The Rolling Stones don't use click tracks for live shows. Why you would think such a thing is beyond me.

Ridiculous.
Using the click track is not an offense!
I looked and listened better, it actually seems like they don't use it, but there is the initial count of Chuck L. who uses a metronome, I also noticed that they use IEM.
However, if the song is started on the count of Chuck using a metronome, I don't understand how Steve can decide the tempo. There is only the unknown for those songs that Keith starts, but even here... what does Steve have to do with it?

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 9, 2024 16:28

Steve holds ('sets' was probaby the wrong word) the tempo, while Charlie could be wobbling more during the song.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 9, 2024 18:27

I have definitely seen some setlists with bpm beside songs. I do think beginning with SW/Urban Jungle (89/90) they had to coordinate tempo with lights and choreography, etc, but we still hear Keith count songs in, flub songs and restart, etc, so maybe no click track? I would not be quick to assume they don't use a meter at least some of the time, in addition to the recorded percussion of SFTD and once-upon-a-time (89/90 and??) recorded cowbell in HTW.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 9, 2024 18:53

I fooled around with BPM app. Near as I can tell, they were playing SMU in 1989 at close to 130 bpm. Now they’re around 105. That is a significant slowdown, and I have to imagine the choice is deliberate.

Date: May 10, 2024 00:04

Testify
GasLightStreet
Testify

Ridiculous.
I looked and listened better, it actually seems like they don't use it, but there is the initial count of Chuck L. who uses a metronome, I also noticed that they use IEM.
However, if the song is started on the count of Chuck using a metronome, I don't understand how Steve can decide the tempo. There is only the unknown for those songs that Keith starts, but even here... what does Steve have to do with it?

Whether Chuck has a metronome and he hollers the count out is not using a click track! U2 uses a click and probably a lot of other artists.

What's up with Clifford's "harmonica" on Miss You? What the hell.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 10, 2024 00:09

GasLightStreet
Testify
GasLightStreet
Testify

Ridiculous.

Whether Chuck has a metronome and he hollers the count out is not using a click track! U2 uses a click and probably a lot of other artists.

It's simple. There are songs that Keith starts (SMU, JJF...), songs that Steve starts (GOOMC, Angry...) and songs that Chuck starts or counts in (HTW, Miss You...). Whoever starts it sets the tempo.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 10, 2024 00:13

GasLightStreet
Testify
GasLightStreet
Testify

Ridiculous.

...and what did I write? However Chuck's counting serves to set the pace, once again, what does Steve have to do with all this?
It's clear that if a song is played slower it's not Steve's fault, but it's because the band decided that way.

Date: May 10, 2024 00:22

Testify
...and what did I write? However Chuck's counting serves to set the pace, once again, what does Steve have to do with all this?
It's clear that if a song is played slower it's not Steve's fault, but it's because the band decided that way.

I don't recall anyone ever saying Jordan has anything to do with it. Not sure why you keep going with that.

So I agree.

Was it because of Jordan tightening the sound up? Maybe that's what it's about.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 15, 2024 16:40

Another interesting aspect talking SMU is that it is much faster in the US autumn of 2005 than it is summer 2007 in Europe (only regarding SMU as an opening number).

My 2 cents why:

1. Keith plays the wonderful Tele Custom from 1975 (the one bought in San Antonio before the 2nd show of the TOTA tour??)
Sacreliege converting it to open-G as with his 1957 Les Paul Junior but it is what it is.

2. Someone (not speculating who in the band but speculating outside the band) thought the Licks tour guitar sound was too "clean" and wanted change. This distorted 2guitar-attack
speed up the whole shebang. Dave Natale was new, big influence on our boys??

3. Then in 06-07 SMU's BPM slowed down again while Keith opted to play it on one of the M Butterscotch's (Micawber or Malcolm).

Conclusion: SMU should be done slow as on Tattoo You.

Or waddya reckon my fellow IORRians?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-15 16:41 by MadMax.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 16, 2024 10:17

MadMax

Conclusion: SMU should be done slow as on Tattoo You.

Or waddya reckon my fellow IORRians?

Maybe...

...played too fast it still rocks, but the "swagger" in the groove gets kind of lost.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home