Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: MIck taylor is a HAS-been
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: December 6, 2005 18:36

I'm sure Ron is haunted by Mick taylor's shadow hanging over the stage.
Sure he hears him say "Ron, go and clean up my guitars in the backroom and bring me back a fresh beer".
That's why Ron sometimes feels sad on stage...don't agree ?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 6, 2005 18:45

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what TAYLOR played on 7 records in the golden era
>
> LIB
> Sticky
> Exile
> GHS
> IORR
> Get Your Ya Ya's
> Metamorphis

come on GHS and IORR are not part of their Golden era, Some Girls and Tattoo you are much better, and he only played on 2 songs on LIB and they were not the standout tracks. I think he played great on Sticky and was awsome on Exile but when he started to get more involed with the crafting of songs they just sort of lost an edge, things like Time waits for no one and 100 years ago sound like generic 70's rock songs without the typical Stones edge, luckily they recaptured the edge on Some Girls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-06 18:46 by Ket.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 6, 2005 18:50

FOOTNOTE:

he played on the greatest LIVE RECORDINGS YA YA"S 1972/1973 tour . Thats why
sir jagger won,t release the stuff.They sounded the best during the golden era
and have not sounded like the greatest rock and roll band since he left.

Date: December 6, 2005 19:01

GHS:

dirty guitar on Dancing with Mr D put on the headsets

100 years ago - classic wah wah
Coming Down Again - great bass
heatbreaker -one of the greatest shortest studio solos - Little Wing is probably
the greatest shortest solo of all time

Silver train great slide
Winter - Melodic wonderment
Hide YOur Live - What more do you want great blues jam with jagger

IORR
Time Waits what more do you want haunting guitar lines
If You cant rock me - try to play that opening controlled lick
If You Really Want To be my friend - great short solo
Till The Next Goodbye
Fingerprint file great bass line
dance Litte Sister - great dirty guitar

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:09

THERAPY?

Date: December 6, 2005 19:10

No I am Okay and ready to roll

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:19

Long live Mickey T then big G! Your perseverance can only be admired......

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:31

HE DID GOOD WORK BUT THAT WAS NEARLY 40 YEARS AGO he has had his time , people have had 2 generations added to their family since MT left the band , all im saying is he is in the past and its about time some stopped living in it

OLDKR

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 6, 2005 20:43

I am not sorry to disappoint you, Mr Head-In-the-Sand 'oldkr', but Mr Taylor is very much alive in the present, playing wonderful guitar with excellent bands in superb club venues.

More than can be said for..............!

We are living in the present, as is the redoubtable Mr T.

Perhaps you'd like to join us some day.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: December 6, 2005 21:19

he's playing crappy litte bars for fanatics and people who dont know who he is i have seen the tapes and listened to to bootlegs he is one of rocks casualties , i walked straight past him in london in 03 , just as many people would , he's like some old game show host that people kinda remember as being the king then they google him to see he's turned into a self pitying shadow of him former self

OLDKR

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 6, 2005 21:26

oldkr:

but you didn't say that he still doesn't play great - which he does, without question.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: December 6, 2005 21:27

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: December 6, 2005 21:33

Ah, Miss U, I see even Ronnie signed up? LOL

32. Ron Wood, Ireland

Date: December 6, 2005 21:45

Maybe?? Aren't they old friends? I thought about deleting it, but what if it really was him showing some goodwill...LoL

Date: December 6, 2005 22:51

oldkr,

So, if the Stones played in the 100 club, would it still be a "crappy little bar?"!

No-one there in '03 was a 'fanatic'. It was a great night. As are his other shows, (in theatres too btw).

So, come join us in the real world. Taylor is a bluesman. Thay are a rare breed and much to be cherished.

I bet many people would not have recognised many old bluesmen e.g. (of many) John Lee Hooker, if they passed him in the street.

At least Taylor lives on the street and not in Hotels, limousines and Stadiums. Do you consider the latter tokens of musical stature?

Perhaps you should go and see him before you throw the next Stone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 02:37 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: December 6, 2005 23:02

by the way - in recent years I've seen MT at so-called crappy little bars and quite venues like the Great American Music Hall in SF (a place where the Grateful Dead and Van Morrison, among other luminaries, have played often).

...for what it's worth to the discussion....

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 6, 2005 23:04

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
> I am not sorry to disappoint you, Mr
> Head-In-the-Sand 'oldkr', but Mr Taylor is very
> much alive in the present, playing wonderful
> guitar with excellent bands in superb club venues.
>
>
> More than can be said for..............!
>
> We are living in the present, as is the
> redoubtable Mr T.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to join us some day.
>
then why the F uck are you on this board and not a Mick Taylor board??????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-06 23:05 by Ket.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 6, 2005 23:28

Maybe it is me...but I was at the 100 Club for the Taylor show during the Licks tour. I have many memories of walking around the club, having drinks and talking to people...who were doing the same thing that I was. Somehow it has been transformed into this mythic and magic moment of transendance full of rabid fans enraptured by the power of the performance.

Taylor had about zero audience communication, he paid more attention to his manager/stage hand just off stage to his right. Do not change history. I was there for about 20 minutes at that position one person away from the stage. Even though the two I have mentioned talked often, MT never aknowledged any of us fans standing right there. The music was good, and he played well, but it was all somewhat generic sounding somehow. If the legend of his past had not been there, it would have been just one of another 1000 great bar bands playing that night. People wondered back and forth to the bar.Some retreated to the far wall from the bar to sit on the ledge and chat, all of this does not happen when the audience is truely engaged.

The man is shy, pleasant, met him very breifly on the street the day of the show being led around by the same man talked about above. Aknowledged me, mumbled, did not shake my hand and moved on. Ok no problem. I am not here to attack him, his weight, his ability, or his accomplishments. I am just here to demystify a good pub show. I mean even Open G shoud be able to tolerate that since he and others are so quick to take the magic out of the current Stones performances.

Date: December 6, 2005 23:46

kahoosier Wrote:
> If the
> legend of his past had not been there, it would
> have been just one of another 1000 great bar bands
> playing that night.

Not having been at that particular show (but I'm sure many like it) - I would dispute this assertion. MT has very few equals as a blues stylists. There aren't 1000's out there like him. And, when he's got Max Middleton in tow, you've got two of the most gifted musicians on the planet playing in the same band.

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: December 7, 2005 00:11

and offcourse his ticketprices are o.k. and he actually toches his guitar instead of posing and waving around with it. that would make him imo a musician.

Date: December 7, 2005 00:14

ouch! Frankie!

Date: December 7, 2005 00:21

Maybe when oldkr actually gets old and matures, he will realize his perception is that of a young man who worships an old nasty ugly rich musician as the epitome of cool over one who can play circles around him. It's quality of the music that counts. Until then, put yourself to bed young man. smiling smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 7, 2005 01:25

OLDKR- You make some valid points. MT is a large shadow of his former self and has disappeared into relative obscurity. Sure he can still play, but there are a million guys out there with command of the pentatonic scales as MT is.
Listen to the solo in "Hand of Fate". The best solo in any song post MT, and it was played by Harvey Mandell.Similar styles, similar results.

OPENG- We agree on many issues. When I watched people walking out on MT during CYHMK, I was blown away. MT has some hardcore fans, and the solos he layed down on songs that you had previously mentioned, were great.

"MT meet Jenny Craig, Jenny meet MT."

Date: December 7, 2005 02:54

Kahoosier, you wrote about Taylor at 100 club...

"it has been transformed into this mythic and magic moment of transendance full of rabid fans enraptured by the power of the performance. "

By whom?

As you say it was ordinary folks about having a relaxed time buying some drinks in a convivial atmosphere while listening to MT do some good stuff, as you genuinely acknowlege.

My point to oldkr, is that it was not about 'fanatics'.

My definition of a fanatic might be someone who is happy to pay huge money again and again for a band when they know the set list won't be much different each time and that one of the guitarists will either not be audible or might be out of tune or drunk or play badly anyway. I was one such fanatic during the Licks tour!

Ket,

I don't follow your 'reasoning'.........

I was explaining to oldkr that MT was very much worth seeing today and that he has good musicians in his band (he does btw) .......

....... and your conclusion is that I should go away elsewhere.

Sorry, I can't compute your ostrilogic. You've got nice tail feathers to shake....but man, your head need re-wiring!

Please would you get it re-wired or bury it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 15:34 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: December 7, 2005 03:07

Your assertion is not supported by any facts. Even if accepted as true, hypothetically, what a "once was" he was!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 7, 2005 03:53

Ron feels sad on stage because he's haunted by MT's shadow hanging over it?? That is the funniest thing I've read on here since the (cool smileyeagle deserted us. What planet (or just what) are you on?!?!?

Date: December 7, 2005 06:36

OK, I think people are missing the point of my thread, Its not about ron, Ron is as much of a band member as keith and charlie, I dont think its a secert how i feel about MT

1. He was amazing when he was with the stones.
2. He was at the right place at the right time. IE when they needed to get brian out, he was there jammin with them.
3. While with the stones, he couldnt get along with keith,
4. One night before going into the studio, the Douchbag bails on them, cause hes "frusterated", even bill wyman, who i dont like, but respect, said MT is a "wimmpy kid"
5. In 81 in kananas, when they where giving him a trial for eruope '82, he did his very best to overshawod ronnie, infact keith said in"before they make me run"(04) that he almost hit him that nite twice.
6. Quite frankly all he has done since, is play dives and Wined about the stones. He made the deciedsion to leave

WHICH BRINGS ME BACK TO MY ORIGANL POST

MICK TAYLOR IS A HAS-BEEN

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 06:58

Miss U. Wrote:
>

Yeah, that's very forward-looking.

Date: December 7, 2005 15:49

I'm not sure if there was any point to your original thread.

The point to my, and other peoples' replies, is to point out that Taylor is alive and still playing very well, (thankyou).

I suspect that the reason for your original post was that you are not happy with the number of threads on this site that discuss Taylor in a positive manner.

To express your disatisfaction, you felt it necessary to (inaccurately) insult Taylor.

I think the majority of Stones' fans on this site are able to appreciate and enjoy Stones and MT as (now) distinct (though once united) musical entities.

We don't have a problem.

In the words of Bob Dylan "You can shove off if it bothers you that much."!

Or you can learn to accept that people are free to compliment MT on this site.

MT should be open for criticism too - but why not make it on musical grounds, and based on fact?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 7, 2005 17:33

He's a good player, but a has-been. Not to mention a wannabe.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home