Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: MIck taylor is a HAS-been
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 7, 2005 20:17

Not another flaming Ostrich!

If MT is (present tense) a good player, then he can't logically be (ipso facto half a bee) be a 'has-been'

If you ostriches mean, by 'has-been', he 'has been' famous. Well yes. I agree. And with good reason. (But so what). But he's not a 'has-been' in terms of playing ability.

(I hardly need to mention who is a 'has-been', in terms of playin ability, in a RS context. So I won't. Work it out for yourselves. That should keep you pecking about aimlessly in the dust for a few days.)

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 7, 2005 20:29

FSW - might want to give up on converting the "has-been" community. I would lump this under another of the "if you don't get it, you never will" categories. That seemed to get some good mileage with the 81 dissers....

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: December 7, 2005 21:02

Keith almost hit MT twice in 81? Nice guy....if this is true I wouldn't blame MT one bit if he never wants to play with them again.
And if Keith was yelling at me in the 70s out of jealousy, I think I'd search for greener grass too!

And camper 88-- final warning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 21:04 by Miss U..

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 7, 2005 21:07

i think its all crap...keith had mick on his solo album..the stones had mick when they were put into the rock hall of fame....if they didn't like mick he wouldn't have ever been invited...jagger/richards moved on...so did bill wyman and mick taylor....

Date: December 7, 2005 21:09

i don't believe for a minute that KR was upset with MT in KC '81. a myth.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 7, 2005 22:04

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't believe for a minute that KR was upset
> with MT in KC '81. a myth.

I think he was upset thet MT was too loud, I don't know if that was MT's fault or the Sound guys but anyway I don't think their is any serious animosity, Keith has made some unkind remarks about MT over the years mainly about his desire and heart in interviews but I don't think he ever said anything negative about his playing and like mentioned before he is not going to ask the guy to play on his album if hates him.

Date: December 7, 2005 22:15

Ket Wrote:
> T&A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> but I don't think he ever
> said anything negative about his playing

true - and probably the most revealing commentary I've heard from KR (and RW) regarding MT was on the hotel rehearsals with Dylan for Live Aid in '85. well-worth seeking out....RW and KR are both obvious admirers of MT based on these candid remarks.

Date: December 7, 2005 22:40

Yup, I have a copy of that, T&A.

And you are right......I was being a bit presumptious and naive in trying to use the method of reason with creatures that are not, in their nature, heavily endowed with this faculty.

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Time to start a new thread...in CAPS....KEITH RICHARDS IS NOT A TRAIN DRIVER

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 7, 2005 23:29

T&A Wrote:
> Ket Wrote:
> > T&A Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------
> > but I don't think he ever
> > said anything negative about his playing

> true - and probably the most revealing commentary
> I've heard from KR (and RW) regarding MT was on
> the hotel rehearsals with Dylan for Live Aid in
> '85. well-worth seeking out....RW and KR are both
> obvious admirers of MT based on these candid
> remarks.
>
Richards has said quite a bit negative about Taylor's playing, for example describing him in a '76 interview as a "cold fish" and using only the top three strings. None of the comments I have read strike me as appropriate, but Richards probably has said them enough times that they have taken on a life of their own. The point is that Richards has been only intermittently kind to Taylor over the years in interviews.

Posted by: arnaud ()
Date: December 8, 2005 00:14

like some others.....except he was the trunck of the stones in that moment ...
and now i see the branch, the leaves,....but when i hear between 5 and 7 song with errors of chords......the trunk miss me.....

Date: December 8, 2005 00:17

Smokey Wrote:
> T&A Wrote:
> -----
> > Ket Wrote:
> >
>
> > > T&A Wrote:
> >
> -------------------------------------------------
> > > but I don't think he ever
> > > said anything negative about his playing
>
>
> > true - and probably the most revealing
> commentary
> > I've heard from KR (and RW) regarding MT was
> on
> > the hotel rehearsals with Dylan for Live Aid
> in
> > '85. well-worth seeking out....RW and KR are
> both
> > obvious admirers of MT based on these candid
> > remarks.
> >
> Richards has said quite a bit negative about
> Taylor's playing, for example describing him in a
> '76 interview as a "cold fish" and using only the
> top three strings. None of the comments I have
> read strike me as appropriate, but Richards
> probably has said them enough times that they have
> taken on a life of their own. The point is that
> Richards has been only intermittently kind to
> Taylor over the years in interviews.
>
>
>
>
>

Wow,I never read that,I know Keith has been harsh on hime before but that is the first I have heard of him slamming his playing, Most of the time he states that MT is a beautiful player.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: December 8, 2005 00:35

Keith sure is an ass, and that's just so blatantly obvious for any reasonable person to see. That's his style, to slam ex band members personally regardless of any positive comments he makes about their playing. Wonder why.

Date: December 8, 2005 01:48

Miss U. Wrote:
> Keith sure is an ass, and that's just so blatantly
> obvious for any reasonable person to see. That's
> his style, to slam ex band members personally
> regardless of any positive comments he makes about
> their playing. Wonder why.

Well I don't defend Keith for allot of his statements (like the blurb after Cobain died was horribly crass! and many others) But you know he did have a reason to be pissed off at Taylor when he just left the band without any warning right before they were to go into the Studio and to not even really give an explanation, that would piss me off as well.I am not saying MT did not have any legit gripes, maybe he did, I don't know but neither do the staunch Taylor fans on IORR.

Date: December 8, 2005 02:43

No, they don't.

but two quick thoughts:

1) Do people usually give warnings before they announce that they are leaving?

2) If Keith was pissed off at MT for leaving just before studio sessions were due......well, that's ironic! How very reliable was Keith during GHS sessions i wonder? If they had started to develop personal and musical differences perhaps Keith was glad Taylor left?

If KR was narked that MT quit - maybe it had more to do with Keith's ego thing, his 'no-one leaves this band alive' attitude.

All supposition. But it's pretty clear that Keith was not the most reliable of Junkies in the Stones circa mid-seventies. Mick was the man keeping things together and he treated the news pragmatically and with consideration for MT.

ps I like Keith's work on B&B, and he probably wouldn't have been so present and effective on that album if MT had been around. The extra guitarists were a bonus, but Keith held the reins. So MT's departure had good studio results. They havn't really missed him in the studio since then.

What perhaps is a shame is that MJ has not 'used' MT on solo albums. Suggests to me there might be some grudge on Mick's part. Geoff Beck was great - but since then - nothing so special. And the two Micks gave did have a good musical thing going.

oh and pps

KR, MJ, MT and RW all working together in studio late '76, ealy '77 on John Phillips' material. Good results too. cf Keith and Taylor's work on Zulu Warrior. It's 'the buisness'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-08 02:47 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 8, 2005 03:06

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
> KR, MJ, MT and RW all working together in studio
> late '76, ealy '77 on John Phillips' material.
> Good results too. cf Keith and Taylor's work on
> Zulu Warrior. It's 'the buisness'.

On that album, "Oh Virginia" has KR & MT on guitars and RW on bass. Whether Charlie is on drums is uncertain.

Here is part of a news story:

The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band may be into its fourth decade of rocking, but thanks to the release of a solo album by ... John Phillips, it will soon be possible to experience the Stones...in all their mid-Seventies splendor. ...The recordings also feature Mick Taylor, who at the time was somewhat reluctant to record again with Jagger and Richards. "I was able to get Mick Taylor to come out of hiding," says Phillips. "He had quit the Rolling Stones a few years before, and they hadn't spoken to each other. I said, 'What the hell, come out and play. It's just music.' So he showed up, and it was a pretty tense situation for a while. We recorded 'Very Dread,' 'Oh Virginia' and some others. After Mick Taylor played a tremendous solo on 'Oh Virginia,' Keith turned to him and said, 'Now I know why I never liked you!'"

Date: December 8, 2005 15:29

Great quote and good info.

Thanks.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home