Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Wood is terrific
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 15, 2023 02:28

Several weeks ago Ronnie was asked about his role in the Stones organization. He has spent much of his time urging Mick and Keith to write songs and hurry and get a new CD out to the public. When it is time to finish the songs with his guitar work, he is ready and enthusiastic. He said he felt comfortable in this secondary role. Also, his guitar playing is unbelievable on the new album, especially on the song Bite My Head Off. In the past, he was always ready to go on tour and probably urged the others to start a new tour.

Ronnie is the most underrated member of the Rolling Stones, not only for his musicianship but also for his ability to make things happen.

Re: Ronnie Wood is terrific
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 15, 2023 04:12

Love Ronnie...so easygoing, has/had health problems never complained, just always there for everyone and always good natured and supportive.

Plus he plays fantastically, especially on this album, but also when I saw him 2019 in Seattle.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 15, 2023 04:49

Very impressed with his playing on Hackney Diamonds and a perfect go between for the Glimmer Twins. He knows his role and fills it well. He will never be my favorite Rolling Stone but I've really grown to like Ronnie!

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: November 15, 2023 07:14

100%. His playing on the new album is terrific across the board. Bite My Head Off, Whole Wide World, and Live by the Sword are particular highlights for me. He sounds like Faces-era Ronnie. His dobro on Dreamy Skies is so tasteful and beautiful.

On top of that: seeing them live in LA in 2021 was a real eye-opener for me, in terms of how important Ronnie is to the band. He is a very tasteful player who seems to fill-in, whether it be lead or rhythm, at all the right times.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2023 07:59

I adore Mick Taylor, but Ronnie Wood is absolutely fantastic and the perfect second guitarist for this band. I've always believed he's the reason this band still exists and his role as a non confrontational middle man just there to have a good time always with a smile on his face is what Mick and Keith need. Ronnie's role in the Stones should never be understated, I'm always thrilled to have him with them.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 15, 2023 09:47

Yes, his guitar playing on Hackney Diamonds is fantastic. His playing has grown. Since 2012 he has become a very important part of the sound of the Stones. Like he used to be from 1975 to 1982.
And I think it's also truth, that he is one reason for the fact, the Stones are still rolling.
I'm glad to se him growing because I always liked his music a lot and I have sympathies for his character.
And he has experienced more than one crisis. He didn't give up. This is something very positive and important to me.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 15, 2023 09:51

I must agree with the comments thus far in that Ronnie is perfect for this band. He is talented and is the ultimate peace-keeper and team player.

I recall an interview with Ronnie sometime in the mid 80's when things were looking darker, and he was asked if the Stones would consider going on yet another tour at some point. His immediate reply was "well, you'll always get a 'yes' from me".

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Date: November 15, 2023 10:37

His playing on Driving Me Too Hard, Depending On You and Dreamy Skies is excellent.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 15, 2023 11:23

unfortunately at the last concert in ny i still saw him waiving and clowning while he should have been playing that mean guitar like he does on the album

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 15, 2023 11:44

According to Mick "he loves you, he loves it" so the feeling is mutual.smileys with beer

Date: November 15, 2023 15:08

sf37
I must agree with the comments thus far in that Ronnie is perfect for this band. He is talented and is the ultimate peace-keeper and team player.

I recall an interview with Ronnie sometime in the mid 80's when things were looking darker, and he was asked if the Stones would consider going on yet another tour at some point. His immediate reply was "well, you'll always get a 'yes' from me".

sf37, where you quote the lyric "Ride like the wind at double speed....." from 'Start Me Up' in your signature:

I have to wonder if Mick Jagger was inspired by Christopher Cross's song 'Ride Like The Wind' to write that lyric.

Also Frank Zappa (featuring Al Di Meola) and Saxon have covered the song.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 15, 2023 15:13

He single handedly saved The Rolling Stones when he was asked to join.
Long Live Ronnie Wood!

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 15, 2023 15:40

MrForeverMusicFan
sf37

sf37, where you quote the lyric "Ride like the wind at double speed....." from 'Start Me Up' in your signature:

I have to wonder if Mick Jagger was inspired by Christopher Cross's song 'Ride Like The Wind' to write that lyric.

MrForeverMusicFan, it never occurred to me that the lyric may have been inspired by the Christopher Cross song, but you may very well be right. I always enjoyed that tune as well. Thanks for sharing the links!

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 15, 2023 15:51

Not to purposely turn this into a discussion about Keith’s arthritis, but Ronnie has been far more prominent, in my opinion, since Blue & Lonesome. He’s taking more the solo-spots and feels more of a domineering influence over the Stones’ overall guitar-sound. This is only a good thing, as it is long being evident that Ronnie is, still, quite the tasty player. His solo on the recent live rendition of Bite My Head Off is utterly fantastic; better than the studio-cut.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 15, 2023 18:10

I too was thinking of starting a thread title, ‘Can we talk about Ronnie’s guitar playing on Hackney Diamonds?’ I’ve listened to the album dozens of times now, and I have to say, this might well be Ronnie’s finest hour (assuming most of the killer licks are Ronnie). The 2-1/2 minute mark on Bite My Head Off when he comes in to joint Macca and totally shreds it, is about as good as Rock & Roll gets.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 15, 2023 19:14

Always loved Ronnie's contributions.

Although it can't be denied that he has had some ups and downs, I invite everybody to give a second listen to his work in the so called "bad" periods, it was not THAT bad! Save some truly avant garde solos, it was generally competent and tasteful, and more often than not truly great.

C

Date: November 15, 2023 19:23

sf37

Al Di Meola recently suffered from a heart attack on stage. Fortunately he got away with it.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 15, 2023 19:25

Ronnie's job have been excellent. Ronnie's contribution to the band have been more than important.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 15, 2023 22:50

Ronnie is the perfect choice as a band member.

Date: November 15, 2023 23:35

This discussion about Ronnie Wood makes me think back to the interview The Stones did with Chris Evans in 1998.

Chris: You know when you got the gig in the Stones, was it because of your guitar playing or was it because they thought you were the right chap?

Ronnie: A little bit of both because as I said to Eric Clapton when he said "I could've had your job" and I said "But, Eric you got to live with them. You got to be able to live with these people."

I wonder if the lyrics to 'Live With Me' from Let It Bleed sort of relate to the above statement.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 16, 2023 15:27

I'm listening to the Beck-Ola album right now. Ron Wood plays bass in an unusual way, his interpretation of Jailhouse Rock is unique.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 17, 2023 02:13

It took some time for me to appreciate Ron. He's a unique player. He doesn't have a particular style where you hear it and instantly go, 'Oh, that's Ron Wood'. Yet he does whatever is necessary and in a very competent way. He was fantastic on Blue and Lonesome. His playing on Hackney Diamonds is sublime. Keith's was better than it has been in some time.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: November 17, 2023 05:29

video: [youtube.com]

Move over Mick Taylor, here's Ronnies solid contribution.....sad smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 17, 2023 12:16

Let's put it this way ...

...God knows how many guitar player they would have chewed up and spit out since 1975 if Ronnie hadn't been there.

[... if they'd stayed together ]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 17, 2023 17:14

mrpaulincanada
.....sad smiley

I'm sad for you.
Ronnie is the reason we are all still here!
cool smiley

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: November 18, 2023 01:14

I get to listen to the Rolling Stones with the best blues guitarist in the world every day...the Ronnie Wood period leaves many cold, sad, and disappointed.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 18, 2023 02:00

Ronnie is fantastic. Who would have known he'd be playing some of his best in 2023. He brings joy, fun and unity. And when sober, some kick ass playing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2023 04:52

Ronnie's playing on HACKNEY DIAMONDS is excellent!

His playing on Depending On You is what Ronnie does. But the best is on Driving Me Too Hard.

That screams 1978-1983 era Ronnie.

The little dude came through.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 18, 2023 13:55

Ronnie's enthousiasm is the little spark that has helped the Stones burning. It is better to enjoy whatever one does than not. Ronnie rocks!!!!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 18, 2023 16:55

Ronnie has had ups and downs and his sound has in the past been affected by his excesses of alcohol and drugs, however he has always managed to stay in the saddle, I believe he never missed a single concert.
In my opinion he is good at doing his own things, some old songs like LB for example, he plays them fantastically, others from the Taylor era (not all) are not very in his style, but he always manages to do a decent work.
I really like his style, not only in lead guitar, he is also a very good rhythm guitarist.
Yes...on HD it does a perfect job!
As for the man, I imagine that any musician loves to play with him, because it's fun, he puts others at ease and never turns it into a competition... I think he likes not to take himself too seriously, he loves to have fun and this is perfect with the RS.
Long live Ronnie!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home