Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Driving Me Too Hard - Track Talk
Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: October 24, 2023 14:37

I still think this is one of the weaker songs on the record (although weak seems like the wrong word for any of the songs on this album), however it is growing on me and I find myself playing it in my head etc. more and more.
I don't know, normally I love this kind of Stones/Keith stuff, but here it felt to pastiche-stones at the first few listens, from the TD-like intro (which in itself is so idiosyncratic even by Keith standards, in contrast to most of the other open-g intros) to the "look what you've done" melody. It even got one of Mick's cards-metaphors, that pop up more than once in Mick's more recent lyrics and have been discussed and dreaded by some around this forum...

Date: October 24, 2023 18:29

No, this song is not weak at all.
Lovely melody, good singing, strong guitars.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 24, 2023 21:12

jumpingjackflash5
No, this song is not weak at all.
Lovely melody, good singing, strong guitars.

thumbs up

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: October 24, 2023 21:48

Love it. Its so simple. Classic Stones.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 24, 2023 22:03

mike567
I still think this is one of the weaker songs on the record (although weak seems like the wrong word for any of the songs on this album), however it is growing on me and I find myself playing it in my head etc. more and more.
I don't know, normally I love this kind of Stones/Keith stuff, but here it felt to pastiche-stones at the first few listens, from the TD-like intro (which in itself is so idiosyncratic even by Keith standards, in contrast to most of the other open-g intros) to the "look what you've done" melody. It even got one of Mick's cards-metaphors, that pop up more than once in Mick's more recent lyrics and have been discussed and dreaded by some around this forum...

One of the Stonger songs on the album, but alas weak.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 25, 2023 05:16

I like it more than most here. I hear a little Tumbling Dice and a track off of one of Keith’s solo records.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: October 25, 2023 06:07

This is easily one of my favourites on the album.

I love everything about it. The Tumbling Dice-ish intro, the guitars, especially Ronnie on pedal steel.

The "look what you've done to me" melody, the backing vocals...

It's just superb and takes you by surprise as you head towards the end of the album.

10/10.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: October 25, 2023 09:01

Ronnie plays b-bender

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 25, 2023 10:00

What a gem!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 25, 2023 15:03

James Kirk
I like it more than most here. I hear a little Tumbling Dice and a track off of one of Keith’s solo records.

Yes the intro is clearly reminiscent of TD, but more generally of Keith's favorite "Telecaster pattern", like the one he briefly plays in Angry. It's a very appeasing song, peaceful, a nice contrast with some of the previous songs on the album. It does sound like a Keith song from the 80s and shows us what some of the better songs on TIC could have been with more elaborate vocals. It flows better than "Slipping Away" too.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 25, 2023 16:00

Ronnie's playing is fantastic on this one.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 25, 2023 17:26

More I have played this the better it gets. I loved it instantly. I ADORE it now. It might just be my favourite. Fantastic track.

Rod

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 25, 2023 22:08

It soon grabbed me as one of the more accessible songs on the album together with "Live By The Sword", and I felt kind of grateful.

Now I`m not so sure. One poster here called "Mess It Up" too busy. I don`t agree when it comes to that song, but in hindsight, many of the songs on the album have a lot of "musical ornamentation". Maybe it can be a little too much, like on this song, or I`m already just tired of the song.

Date: October 25, 2023 22:15

noughties
It soon grabbed me as one of the more accessible songs on the album together with "Live By The Sword", and I felt kind of grateful.

Now I`m not so sure. One poster here called "Mess It Up" too busy. I don`t agree when it comes to that song, but in hindsight, many of the songs on the album have a lot of "musical ornamentation". Maybe it can be a little too much, like on this song, or I`m already just tired of the song.

Maybe you're a bit overeaten, but as with food, it needn't mean the food is not tasty and great :-)

Hackney Diamonds is awesome album, melodic, well produced, collaboratively recorded. Happy to have it!

Date: October 27, 2023 13:13

This is one song where I wonder if S Jordan had some input. When those "Drivin" BU voices come in, it sounds like 'Main Offender'

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: October 28, 2023 04:07

bitusa2012
More I have played this the better it gets. I loved it instantly. I ADORE it now. It might just be my favourite. Fantastic track.

Same here.
Very Crosseyed Heart kind of tune......

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: October 28, 2023 15:23

Filler? This is my favorite track on the album, it’s brilliant! Haven’t felt like this listening to a Stones song in a very long time. Three basic chords throughout the song, A - E and when it hits D in the chorus it’s magic. The channeling of Tumbling Dice, beautiful. It reminds me why I like this band so much, it’s so simple but just brilliant.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 28, 2023 17:06

Palace Revolution 2000
This is one song where I wonder if S Jordan had some input. When those "Drivin" BU voices come in, it sounds like 'Main Offender'

Maybe. According to Martin Elliot's sessionography track goes back to the 2015 sessions.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 28, 2023 18:05

My wife, who graciously tolerates my Stones listening habits, points out that the melody here is reminiscent of “Slipping Away.”

Every time I giiiiive a little bit

Each time that I faaaaaaaaaal asleep

A good catch. I am ashamed that I missed it!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 28, 2023 19:06

A Tumbling Dice opening and then a generic Keith tune. The only odd thing is Jagger singing it.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 28, 2023 20:22

agree, I wish Keith had sung this, his awry approach would have make it stronger and deeper
also would have been a killer "main offender moment" 1-2 with tell me straight back to back

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: October 28, 2023 21:18

This is my favourite so far. It got Steels Wheels and Voodoo Lounge Vibes, and I can even hear Always Suffering from Bridges To Babylon in there somewhere. Beautiful song.

Date: October 29, 2023 18:19

Why didn't Keith sing this one, it would have worked better in my opinion. This is one of the things that makes no sense concerning the album, Keith should have claimed this track ffs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-29 18:22 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 18:34

keefriffhards
Why didn't Keith sing this one, it would have worked better in my opinion. This is one of the things that makes no sense concerning the album, Keith should have claimed this track ffs.

Why? It's a Rolling Stones album! On hand you want it to be a Rolling Stones album rather than a so-called Mick-solo album and on the other you don't want Mick to sing a song that seems to have originated from Keith. Get your logic straight.

BTW: To hear Keith harmonizing with Mick on a Tumbling Dice style rocker in 2023 is giving me chills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-29 18:35 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: October 29, 2023 19:00

MonkeyMan2000
keefriffhards

Why? It's a Rolling Stones album! On hand you want it to be a Rolling Stones album rather than a so-called Mick-solo album and on the other you don't want Mick to sing a song that seems to have originated from Keith. Get your logic straight.

BTW: To hear Keith harmonizing with Mick on a Tumbling Dice style rocker in 2023 is giving me chills.

Why? Because it's begging to be sang by Keith, plus with two Keith vocals on the album it gives ballance and versatility, not to mention Keith could do a better job on this track vocally, get your logic straight.

Having said that Mick does a great job and arguably the best track on the album.

After all my complaints this album is growing on me, I'm such a knob.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-29 19:06 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 19:09

keefriffhards
MonkeyMan2000
keefriffhards

Why? Because it's begging to be sang by Keith, plus with two Keith vocals on the album it gives ballance and versatility, not to mention Keith could do a better job on this track vocally, get your logic straight.

Both sing beautifully on this one. "Keith should have claimed this track ffs". What do you think producing an album looks like? Did they have a war in the studio?
The whole album is a collaborative effort. Driving Me Too Hard is a great testament to that, they even finished the lyrics together. Now stop trying to force every discussion into your dualistic Mick vs. Keith logic, the only logic you know, making up things about both of them, even claiming that Keith needs somebody to look out for him or something along those lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-29 19:11 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: October 29, 2023 19:19

MonkeyMan2000
keefriffhards
MonkeyMan2000
keefriffhards

Both sing beautifully on this one. "Keith should have claimed this track ffs". What do you think producing an album looks like? Did they have a war in the studio?
The whole album is a collaborative effort. Driving Me Too Hard is a great testament to that, they even finished the lyrics together. Now stop trying to force every discussion into your dualistic Mick vs. Keith logic, the only logic you know, making up things about both of them, even claiming that Keith needs somebody to look out for him or something along those lines.

I edited my reply to you, i have an apology to make to you guys that love the album, it does grow on you, i hated it at first as not what i expected.
Believe it or not i didn't like Exile at first either.confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 06:39 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 30, 2023 18:51

Just came on here to say that Keith should have sung this but that seems to be the popular opinion anyway!

Date: October 31, 2023 08:27

LondonLee
Just came on here to say that Keith should have sung this but that seems to be the popular opinion anyway!

It's OK to say it unless i say it confused smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 31, 2023 11:04

keefriffhards
LondonLee

It's OK to say it unless i say it confused smiley

Looks like you are under closer observation than LondonLee...

Btw., as you claim that HD is a Mick solo album, one Keith lead vocal is more than enough and much more than Mick was ever allowed on a Keith solo album...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home