Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Mess It Up - Track Talk
Posted by: Stones32 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:24

I thought this was the Bill song from the bass line.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:30

Stones32

I thought this was the Bill song from the bass line.

Bill is on 'Live By The Sword' (along with Charlie) - [iorr.org] . 'Mess It Up' has Andrew Watt on Bass.

Posted by: Stones32 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 02:02

Oh, sorry what I meant was that prior to my reading the liner notes this sounded like a "Miss You" Wyman bass line and I would have bet money this was the track he played on.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 02:44

Wasn't really feeling this that much upon first listen (mainly due to the chorus) until it got to the "Do you wanna hear it" part. That's really funky and saves the track.

Listening to it for the second time now and I'm already feeling it more. But imo Live By The Sword is the real killer on this album. What a groove.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 21, 2023 03:05

5th listen and this is a hit song. I didn't want to like it but it won me over.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:04

"Mess It Up" feels like something fans would regard as a minor classic if it had been included on Wandering Spirit. However, since it's on a Stones album we have to do that thing where we pretend as if The Rolling Stones should never make an effort to sound commercial, which of course is patently absurd.

I'll admit the start originally had me fearing another Stones-By-Numbers track, but then that nasty little earworm of a chorus kicked in and suddenly it felt like a genuine hit single. I was hoping Mick would unleash a little more falsetto at the end but it's still the best dance track he's recorded in a very long time.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:12

If this piece of garbage is a "hit" i will "eat my hat" like Mick said in "Sweet Neocon" (which actually sounds pretty good compared to this)

Cmon - I know everyone (including me) was excited for a new record but this is a "paint by numbers" song that anyone Watt produces could do -

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:25

This is an album that flows well (unlike Bigger Bang) and everything is in the right place. Even "Mess It Up" is placed in the right place and is a very enjoyable and catchy track.

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:26

Can stop imagining people dancing by the pool or on the beach a nice warm summerday when I listen to it!! Love the beat and the drive!! A sweet little grandchild to Miss You! Love it!

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:29

Absolutely, what a hell of a song!!

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:20

Keith on NPR Weekend Edition - 10/21/23

Scott Simon: This song [Mess It Up] is pretty blunt about some of the mistakes we can make in our life. So where's this song came from?

Keith: Hey, it's part of life, you know?, because he laid this one on me. It was all ready done-cooked and fried, you know? I just added my stuff and put it there. But at the same time, I understand what you mean, And I'm sure that if you ask Mick, you might get a better explanation than from me (laughter).

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:29

This should be a single, maybe as a remix with Dua Lipa. With a video clip in which Jagger shows his Moves.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 22, 2023 02:49

Pure genius.What a groove.Even better than Miss you or Dance .
Looking forward to the remixes on this.And yeah Dua Lipa.Even better Lady Ga Ga,now that would be cool.This song has endless possibilities.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 23, 2023 08:56

fun thing, my wife really does not like the Stones. It's "to old", "not modern" etc. She is really into radio music. I have pretty much listened to the new album with a headset, because she dont like the music to much.

But in the mornings I wake up the kids by playing music over wi-fi in their rooms. Second chorus (she have never heard it before) she started singing the chorus. It is really sticky. No wonder it is the most streamed one from fridays release.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 23, 2023 09:10

Not a fan of this on first listen but it is quite catchy and growing on me.
Found my self 'Jagger dancing' to this by accident yesterday grinning smiley

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 23, 2023 09:12

undertheradar
Not a fan of this on first listen but it is quite catchy and growing on me.
Found my self 'Jagger dancing' to this by accident yesterday grinning smiley

grinning smileygrinning smiley I really hope they do a colab on this one, think it has great potential!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 23, 2023 11:00

Universal Music should do a deal with ABBA and play 'Mess It Up' in the London ABBA arena after the show when the concertgoers leave the building - the ABBA fans will love this track.

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: October 23, 2023 11:12

Totally great song! One of our favorite on the album.
Sounds a little like Start me up, amazing vocal and from the first sound you know it is Charlie who do the drums.
Great job!

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 23, 2023 17:14

On first listening, I was not convinced. Now I am liking it more and more. In the context of an eclectic and enjoyable album like HD is a perfect song that flows very well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 17:15 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: October 24, 2023 20:53

charlystone
Temon. Bien movido. Pinta para single

Esperemos que así sea... y que le hagan un video por favooor jaja

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 24, 2023 21:03

keefriffhards
Sorry but i can't even listen to this track to the end, it's chalk down a blackboard to me.

Same..........

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 25, 2023 05:27

My first thought was it sounded like a Mick song from the “She’s the Boss” era, but after a few listens it grew on me. I like it much better now.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 25, 2023 06:35

The lyric video is finally up on YouTube.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 27, 2023 07:58

Okay, I give in.. I tried my best to pick a weak track on this album and chose this however it's actually a decent song - catchy and very danceable.

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Date: October 27, 2023 08:33

A very good dancing track. Mick surely likes it ;-)
Catchy singing ... Mess it up, mess it up ... Really wanna tell the truuuuth ...

The only a bit strange part is around 2:30-2:44, that is a bit overcombined.

Still, it belongs to Hackney Diamonds, glad to have it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 27, 2023 09:11

undertheradar
Okay, I give in.. I tried my best to pick a weak track on this album and chose this however it's actually a decent song - catchy and very danceable.

Have to disagree. I think Live By The Sword is the weak track...and not bad.

A better version of Turn The Girl Loose...at least Mick vocally. Lyrics cringey though.

Date: October 27, 2023 10:48

The first time I listened to the album I thought «oh, no! What is this dance track doing in here?».

It didn't take more than a couple of spins, though, before I was singing with it.

A good song is a good song, no matter style or genre. This is a damn catchy tune, well-played and performed. One of the best tracks on the album.

Love it!

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: October 27, 2023 11:59

I love this song. My 10yo loves this song.

Date: October 27, 2023 12:28

tiffanyblu
fun thing, my wife really does not like the Stones. It's "to old", "not modern" etc. She is really into radio music. I have pretty much listened to the new album with a headset, because she dont like the music to much.

But in the mornings I wake up the kids by playing music over wi-fi in their rooms. Second chorus (she have never heard it before) she started singing the chorus. It is really sticky. No wonder it is the most streamed one from fridays release.

Your post reminds me of the other day. I was playing HD to my lady. She is a musician too, and knows the Stones pretty well. She immediately started singing along with 'Whole World' chorus; 'Mess it Up' chorus, and started laughing at 'Driving me too Hard' b/c she said it sounds like every song Keith ever wrote. But she was kind of rolling her eyes at having to sit through the whole album. And it made me wonder how many significant others from the IORR board alone had to go through the same ordeal. How many wives/ husbands had to endure the whole
"Listen top this part here", "okay here comes the good part".

Date: October 27, 2023 12:40

I think HD is the first time (I met my wife in 1990) my wife sat through an entire Stones album. She's not a fan at all, but she really liked this album.

Her favourites were Tell Me Straight and Driving Me Too Hard smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-27 12:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home