Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Get Close - Track Talk
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 1, 2024 18:54

my favourite track of the album, from first listen to the umpteenth listen today. classic stones + a coat of modern sound add clever lyrics = bravo

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: January 1, 2024 19:12

My favorite song on the album and one of Keith's best riffs in a long time, I hope they play this at every show!

Date: January 2, 2024 10:13

The full riff (left channel) is more intricate than I thought at first. Love the harmonies of the suspended chord.

Date: January 2, 2024 13:53

Wonderful and subtle riff, one that could go on forever, and maybe it does. I do remember someone scoffing at the mere thought of it being a riff, for some reason. Maybe that's what you get for giving the people something new and that is not easily recognisable when set against the past.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 2, 2024 14:02

It was this track and Depending on You that were leaked prior to Oct 20 and I loved both, but for me with this riff told me the stones were really back and we were in for a big album.

Date: January 2, 2024 14:28

MadMetaphoricalMax
Wonderful and subtle riff, one that could go on forever, and maybe it does. I do remember someone scoffing at the mere thought of it being a riff, for some reason. Maybe that's what you get for giving the people something new and that is not easily recognisable when set against the past.

They are probably listening to the more simplified variant of it that Ronnie plays.

Date: January 2, 2024 17:11

Loved this song from the minute I heard the leak. Still love it. One of my favorites of all time. Reminds me of a modern time Slave.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 2, 2024 21:11

This one is def my favorite track on the new album, I hope they play this live. Has everything in it that I love about the Stones.

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: January 4, 2024 15:59

Another one of my favorites. I listened to the leaked recordings of this and Deoending on You a lot because a bad recording was better than no recording

Date: January 4, 2024 18:13

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Loved this song from the minute I heard the leak. Still love it. One of my favorites of all time. Reminds me of a modern time Slave.

That saxophone break towards the end is revelatory. The perfect addition at the right moment. Take it to another level.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 4, 2024 20:06

treaclefingers
PaintMonkeyManBlack

That saxophone break towards the end is revelatory. The perfect addition at the right moment. Take it to another level.

Yeah, one of those great Stonesian insights in arrangement. Knowing exactly what the track asks for in order to nail it.

- Doxa

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 22, 2024 19:18

The worst song they've released the last 30 years. The only thing that redeems it is the sax solo. The introducing rhythm guitar is Jagger through and through, Keith would never play like that, Spin Doctors Pt II.
Awful and not worthy The Rolling Stones.

NO swagger. No Stones Magic. Sounds like MOR ca 1993. As danceable as Offspring or Green Day. Come Mess It Up I dance like crazy. That's Stones!

Mind you, Angry is great so it ain't Steve, he plays wonderfully on Crosseyed Heart. It must be Watt without the S.
Listened to Love Is Strong before putting on HD
Says it all :

Bring back Don!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-22 19:23 by MadMax.

Date: January 22, 2024 19:40

At first I also thought this song is strange. But it grew on me. It is actually very good, just not that catchy and predictable.

MadMax
The worst song they've released the last 30 years. The only thing that redeems it is the sax solo. The introducing rhythm guitar is Jagger through and through, Keith would never play like that, Spin Doctors Pt II.

NO swagger. No Stones Magic. Sounds like MOR ca 1993. As danceable as Offspring or Green Day. Come Mess It Up I dance like crazy. That's Stones!

Mind you, Angry is great so it ain't Steve, he plays wonderfully on Crosseyed Heart. It must be Watt without the S.
Says it all :

Bring back Don!

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: January 22, 2024 20:19

I don't think it's a 100% Jagger song, neither does he: "Keith and Andy Watt sent it to me when I was in Italy and I went: Like the groove, what on earth am I meant to do with it? Then we were in LA and the top line melody came really quickly"

- Mick Jagger, c. August 2023

MadMax

Says it all :

Bring back Don!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 23, 2024 09:39

SomeGuy
I wouldn't want to spoil the fun but to call that guitar bit of Get Close a riff seems a bit far fetched to me.

I completely agree with you. Which is why comparisons with Slave really bug me.
And I am not fond of that sax solo either: too polished, reminding me of those fake jazz bands of the (19)80s (Matt Bianco and stuff like that).

Date: January 23, 2024 09:51

DandelionPowderman
MadMetaphoricalMax

They are probably listening to the more simplified variant of it that Ronnie plays.

Well, I'll be honest. What I do is: I put on the CD and listen to the song. I don't analyse it really. I have no idea what part is Ronnie and what part is Keith. I don't search for hidden notes and subtle second parts. I hear what I hear: a very basic pattern, not too high in the mix. I don't hear what I would call a riff, although of course, the fact that they play a certain number of chords in a certain rhythmic pattern could be defined as a "riff", I suppose.
Maybe my approach is too limited but it always enabled me to recognize JJF, or SMU (here I can even detect the interplay of more than one guitar, although admittedly I've no idea who does what), or - here we go - Slave, as riffs.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: January 23, 2024 10:33

someone is playing keith' part (really good) ...
[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 23, 2024 10:40

MadMax

Says it all :

Bring back Don!

It's Keith. The riff is actually quite intricate if you listen closely. It's a little bit of the CYHMK-chord in there. My problem with the mix is that Ronnie has more grit and is higher in the mix. He plays a more rudimentary version of the riff.

The thing that doesn't work for me with GC is the chorus. It comes across as a wee bit too «easy», imo. However, it's a good track, and I love the sax break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-23 10:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 23, 2024 10:43

matxil
DandelionPowderman
MadMetaphoricalMax

Well, I'll be honest. What I do is: I put on the CD and listen to the song. I don't analyse it really. I have no idea what part is Ronnie and what part is Keith. I don't search for hidden notes and subtle second parts. I hear what I hear: a very basic pattern, not too high in the mix. I don't hear what I would call a riff, although of course, the fact that they play a certain number of chords in a certain rhythmic pattern could be defined as a "riff", I suppose.
Maybe my approach is too limited but it always enabled me to recognize JJF, or SMU (here I can even detect the interplay of more than one guitar, although admittedly I've no idea who does what), or - here we go - Slave, as riffs.

That's fine, mate smiling smiley

What I should have said, that probably would have made an impact on you as well, is that Ronnie's guitar is too high in the mix.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 23, 2024 10:51

DandelionPowderman

...The thing that doesn't work for me with GC is the chorus. It comes across as a wee bit too «easy», imo. However, it's a good track, and I love the sax break.

There are a couple of tracks on the album that I'd prefer with a slightly less "pop music" chorus...but it's these same catchy bits that many of the wider listening audience are attracted to.

Date: January 23, 2024 13:08

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
MadMetaphoricalMax

What I should have said, that probably would have made an impact on you as well, is that Ronnie's guitar is too high in the mix.

Fair enough. A few posts above, thomashanck posted a clip of someone playing a "Get Close" guitar part. Does this correspond to what Ronnie does or Keith? It sounds pretty close to what I hear when I listen to the song.

Date: January 23, 2024 13:26

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
MadMetaphoricalMax

Fair enough. A few posts above, thomashanck posted a clip of someone playing a "Get Close" guitar part. Does this correspond to what Ronnie does or Keith? It sounds pretty close to what I hear when I listen to the song.

That's the Keith-part, and it's pretty close. There are still some details missing, though (Keith is not playing it as detailed all the way through himself, though):

Posted by: BlueLands ()
Date: January 25, 2024 09:59

Hello fellow Stones fans, brothers and sisters!

Life long lurker. This is my first time ever posting! Woohoo!!

Ok, I gotta say, I absolutely *LOVE* the new album, and instantaneously took to all of the tracks, especially "Get Close"! What's not to like? Each vocal line has different inflections, expressions, timbre , tonality and affliction.

As a criticism, I reckon that they've plagiarized themselves "Wanna Hold You" and a near identical steal from Peter Frampton's "Show Me The Way" chorus (Bm A G) chord progression. "I Want youuu~... to show me , , the waaay~~~" and the sax solo is imo lifted from a Bobby Keyes lick in John Lennon's "Whatever gets you thru the night" , which isn't necessarily a bad song.

Obviously, it's a deliberate homage to "CYHMK" as it's also in the same D key signature.

Lastly, I pray to God that they make this song a permanent fixture early in the setlist. (maybe song #4?)

Thanks!
Dude.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2024 10:18

BlueLands

...As a criticism, I reckon that they've plagiarized themselves "Wanna Hold You" and a near identical steal from Peter Frampton's "Show Me The Way" chorus (Bm A G) chord progression. "I Want youuu~... to show me , , the waaay~~~" and the sax solo is imo lifted from a Bobby Keyes lick in John Lennon's "Whatever gets you thru the night" , which isn't necessarily a bad song.

Obviously, it's a deliberate homage to "CYHMK" as it's also in the same D key signature. ...

Thanks!
Dude.

It's easy to get carried away looking for similarities with other songs. Sometimes they are noticeable...and I can hear those you mention

...but [to Western ears at least], there are only so many notes, so many keys and so many pleasing chord progressions.

It's a miracle in a way that so many instantly recognisable pieces of music can be conceived from the same limited structures and conventions.

Instantly recognisable Blues songs are an even bigger miracle !

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 25, 2024 16:40

They also ripped off the band name, didja notice that one?

Date: January 25, 2024 16:59

MadMax

Says it all :

Bring back Don!

Methinks thou needs to cut back to the recommended weekly intake of alcohol limits.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 26, 2024 21:38

Iiiiiiii wanna get HIGH on you-ooh

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 27, 2024 00:41

jumpingjackflash5
At first I also thought this song is strange. But it grew on me. It is actually very good, just not that catchy and predictable.

Exactly, however, some part of it could be mistaken for noise, I must say.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 27, 2024 02:23

BlueLands
Lastly, I pray to God that they make this song a permanent fixture early in the setlist. (maybe song #4?)Thanks!
Dude.

-Don`t think it will be played live.

Date: January 27, 2024 07:11

noughties
BlueLands
Lastly, I pray to God that they make this song a permanent fixture early in the setlist. (maybe song #4?)Thanks!
Dude.

-Don`t think it will be played live.

That would be a disappointment.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home