Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596
Current Page: 96 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Date: April 24, 2024 15:10

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Yet we know your stance about it - and that's fine. Same with me. I love it, and I think at least some people have noticed smiling smiley

However, going on and on about it might just be the reason for the post you're replying to, if I read it right.

Well, I *hope* I'm not going on and on about it but when I see someone posting about it in a way that I agree with, I occasionally like to express my agreement and/or add some new absolutely brilliant little observation reflecting my own point of view. I hope that's not too much harassment. I do try keeping this to a minimum.
I am pretty sure that the number of posts saying "I just listened again and I still think it's great" is larger, but I admit I haven't counted them and, in any case, they don't bother me at all.

Yeah, that was my point - you are expressing your opinion without going on and on about it (and you don't get those reactions, methinks).

I'm not saying that VL does, either. Only that MKjan might have felt that.

BTW, I hope they'll do Dreamy Skies in Houston smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2024 15:22

matxil
treaclefingers

[...]
It's too bad you two dudes don't like the album but tastes are gonna differ. Consensus is this album is the best since...sliced bread
[...]

Everyone is entitled to his or her own taste. And yes, here on this forum, most people seem to love HD. Or at least, the most active people on this forum (which are only one or two handfuls, really) seem to like it, so, yes, on this forum the consensus might be that.
But in the rest of the world? Are you kidding?
I think the last time guitar-based rock music really made an impression outside its own little corner was with Nirvana (and I don't even like Nirvana).
The last time the Stones made an impression in the world outside of the usual suspects, was with "Start Me Up". Which is an amazing feat, given that the first time they did that, with "Satisfaction", was 15 years earlier.
Few bands have achieved that.

So you're making a sort of straw man argument. I never said "in the rest of the world", so I'm not kidding, I didn't say that.

I don't think I've suggested that Western Civilization has found a renewed interest in guitar-based rock and that the masses are burning their Taylor Swift, K-Pop or Hip Hop albums to make room for the new Rolling Stones record.

I said consensus, which you have to presume means amongst fans of the band or of the style of music at least. Think about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-24 17:02 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 24, 2024 18:01

treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

[...]
It's too bad you two dudes don't like the album but tastes are gonna differ. Consensus is this album is the best since...sliced bread
[...]

Everyone is entitled to his or her own taste. And yes, here on this forum, most people seem to love HD. Or at least, the most active people on this forum (which are only one or two handfuls, really) seem to like it, so, yes, on this forum the consensus might be that.
I think the last time guitar-based rock music really made an impression outside its own little corner was with Nirvana (and I don't even like Nirvana).
The last time the Stones made an impression in the world outside of the usual suspects, was with "Start Me Up". Which is an amazing feat, given that the first time they did that, with "Satisfaction", was 15 years earlier.

So you're making a sort of straw man argument. I never said "in the rest of the world", so I'm not kidding, I didn't say that.

I don't think I've suggested that Western Civilization has found a renewed interest in guitar-based rock and that the masses are burning their Taylor Swift, K-Pop or Hip Hop albums to make room for the new Rolling Stones record.

I said consensus, which you have to presume means amongst fans of the band or of the style of music at least. Think about it.

I thought about it and you're right. I used your post as an excuse to make a completely irrelevant point of my own, which I enjoyed writing.
Besides, the world has gone crazy, so who cares what they think anyway?

Date: April 24, 2024 19:49

matxil
treaclefingers
matxil
treaclefingers

[...]
[...]

I thought about it and you're right. I used your post as an excuse to make a completely irrelevant point of my own, which I enjoyed writing.
Besides, the world has gone crazy, so who cares what they think anyway?

thank you and of course no hard feelings.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2024 07:27

I thought Driving Me Too Hard would be a logical 4th single but I'm starting to think Get Close would be just as good, if not, a better choice - it offers a little bit more.

Date: April 25, 2024 07:33

Depending On You as a single strikes too close to things that lead to a song being cancelled.

Your fingerprints in the dark
Your past and present tangled up in my arms
Our secrets sealed in our scars
Sharing a smoke on the steps of a bar

Big bad evil Mick Jagger promoting smoking!

Not allowed.

Next:

Now she's giving her loving to somebody new
I invented the game but I lost like a fool
Now I'm too young for dying and too old to lose

Now he's saying she's...

Nope.

That's enough.

Album track? Great.

Single?

Woah.

That's the 2020s. So sensitive.

Date: April 25, 2024 07:58

I wasn't too keen on Mess It Up for awhile but now - like Rain Fall Down - it's popped.

It's not about Charlie.

Of course, Live By The Sword and Bill's excellent playing follows.

Driving Me Too Hard follows that. Andrew Watt sings backing harmony and it fits.

"Driving" outro is Winos! Which leads to...

Tell Me Straight, holy crap. The Rolling Winos: the perfect blending of them.

A fantastic run of 4 tracks.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 25, 2024 10:38

I think ‘Depending On You’ should be the next single because it comes right after ‘Get Close’ and right before ‘Bite My Head Off.’

Which is mind-blowing.

Of course, the Stones have always smoked cigarettes. In the sixties and seventies it was de rigueur. I smoked cigarettes in the eighties BUT I was set up by a friend.

Not no more, man! Times have changed, although not necessarily the way Dylan prophesized. Fifty years from now cigarettes will be a lot cheaper than they are today and the people who don’t smoke them will be losers!

To the question is ‘Angry’ a more popular song than ‘Start Me Up’ I’ve flipflopped but in the end yes, in terms of probabilities, it probably is. A lot of people who liked ‘Start Me Up’ are dead. And anyways the ‘you, you, you’ girl who makes dead men ejaculate in 2023 is –pauses to open the envelope - Sydney Sweeney.

Rotten melons & sweet peaches. LMFAO!

Some are going to point to the ‘Charlie’ factor by way of rebuttal.

Especially Texans.

But Charlie was a modest chap so I’m sure he would describe HD as a revelation.

Which it is. I’ll testify to that, in non-stop, incoherent bullet points.

Date: April 25, 2024 14:36

GasLightStreet
I thought Driving Me Too Hard would be a logical 4th single but I'm starting to think Get Close would be just as good, if not, a better choice - it offers a little bit more.

Get Close is a standout. I also think WWW woulda/shoulda been a consideration and Depending on You is gorgeous; your lyrical observations notwithstanding I think could also have worked as a single.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 25, 2024 22:45

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Get Close is a standout. I also think WWW woulda/shoulda been a consideration and Depending on You is gorgeous; your lyrical observations notwithstanding I think could also have worked as a single.

I think that the sheer number of potential singles is telling enough about the quality of HD...

And even the tracks that I would consider as "no singles potential" (read: album material) are not bad at all, certainly not just fillers: Bite My Head Off, Dreamy Skies, Live By The Sword, Tell Me Straight & Rolling Stone Blues.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 26, 2024 06:40

This will be my last post on this thread, as apparently some on here feel the need to dictate what can and cannot be stated about our beloved band's latest release. I've been reading on here for MONTHS now how so and so revisits the album and still loves, lists the songs that they still find amazing, new ones discovered. I keep trying every month or so to get into this release and hope that something 'clicks,' but nothing does, and I was merely expressing my latest thoughts on trying to get into HD. I'm sorry if I got anyone's panties in a tizzy because my view isn't the majority; that I'm not spewing praise about like snowflakes. I was doing the same as all the album lovers, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. You folks do know the spectrum is two sided, don't you?! I have no damn campaign or agenda. I was debating maybe even trying to meet up with the Boston folks next month, but honestly, this whole situation has left such a sh taste in my mouth that I have no desire to actually meet any of the people on here behind the screen names now. So mission accomplished. Enjoy HD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-26 16:13 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 26, 2024 09:38

Don't let it get to you, VL. I enjoy your posts.

However, we are different people on here – some react, others don't.

We need your perspective here – especially since most of us are old geezers smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2024 09:39

I'm a bleedin' geezer ..... Hhhhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 26, 2024 09:44

DandelionPowderman
Don't let it get to you, VL. I enjoy your posts.

However, we are different people on here – some react, others don't.

We need your perspective here – especially since most of us are old geezers smiling smiley

Ditto that ...

..and consensus be damned .

With more consensus there might be more peace in the world ...but this place wouldn't be half so much fun. grinning smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 26, 2024 12:43

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

...I totally agree that Get Close is a great song. However, I love the whole album a bit.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 26, 2024 13:15

Greta song title there ... " I love you... a bit "

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2024 13:22

Roscoe Gordon .... Just a Little Bit

Recorded by every man and his dog .... hhhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 26, 2024 14:12

VoodooLounge13
This will be my last post on this thread, as apparently some on here feel the need to dictate what can and cannot be stated about our beloved band's latest release. I've been reading on here for MONTHS now how so and so revisits the album and still loves, lists the songs that they still find amazing, new ones discovered. I keep trying every month or so to get into this release and hope that something 'clicks,' but nothing does, and I was merely expressing my latest thoughts on trying to get into HD. I'm sorry if I got anyone's panties in a tizzy because my view isn't the majority; that I'm not spewing praise about snowflakes. I was doing the same as all the album lovers, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. You folks do not the spectrum is two sided, don't you?! I have no damn campaign or agenda. I was debating maybe even trying to meet up with the Boston folks next month, but honestly, this whole situation has left such a sh taste in my mouth that I have no desire to actually meet any of the people on her behind the screen names now. So mission accomplished. Enjoy HD.

I'm getting ready to attend two shows during the upcoming tour. As far as HD, the only two songs that truly grabbed me right off are Angry and Rolling Stone Blues. My feelings about most of the other tracks are that most, but not all, have become an acquired taste. I am listening to HD over and over because when attending shows, I enjoy the songs with which I am familiar more than those I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-26 14:17 by steffialicia.

Date: April 26, 2024 16:23

steffialicia
VoodooLounge13
This will be my last post on this thread, as apparently some on here feel the need to dictate what can and cannot be stated about our beloved band's latest release. I've been reading on here for MONTHS now how so and so revisits the album and still loves, lists the songs that they still find amazing, new ones discovered. I keep trying every month or so to get into this release and hope that something 'clicks,' but nothing does, and I was merely expressing my latest thoughts on trying to get into HD. I'm sorry if I got anyone's panties in a tizzy because my view isn't the majority; that I'm not spewing praise about snowflakes. I was doing the same as all the album lovers, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. You folks do not the spectrum is two sided, don't you?! I have no damn campaign or agenda. I was debating maybe even trying to meet up with the Boston folks next month, but honestly, this whole situation has left such a sh taste in my mouth that I have no desire to actually meet any of the people on her behind the screen names now. So mission accomplished. Enjoy HD.

I'm getting ready to attend two shows during the upcoming tour. As far as HD, the only two songs that truly grabbed me right off are Angry and Rolling Stone Blues. My feelings about most of the other tracks are that most, but not all, have become an acquired taste. I am listening to HD over and over because when attending shows, I enjoy the songs with which I am familiar more than those I don't know.

It's interesting to me that when ABB came out, their was also that "divisiveness", though I think even the proponents agreed that the album could stand from some judicious editing - "oh and why in the hell did you leave off Under The Radar?".

I don't see that as much from the proponents this time, who like almost every cut (for me - I don't love LBTS) and for those that dislike the album, they do usually like a few cuts - though rarely the same ones but usually LBTS!

Perhaps for some of us, who've gone through the "Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost/Crosseyed Heart" period, we were relieved that we got something that we probably didn't even deserve to be this good - so a sense of musical relief?

Anyway, none of this should be taken too seriously and you should hang out in Boston with the boys and girls from IORR if you can.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 28, 2024 12:50

Is HD right now, definitely out of all the charts?What about total selling worldwide?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2024 13:06

mailexile67

Is HD right now, definitely out of all the charts?

No, it's not out of all the charts: re-entry in Germany on 26-Apr-2024 at #82 - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Links (sources) to other Hackney Diamonds charts - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 28, 2024 19:20

mailexile67
Is HD right now, definitely out of all the charts?What about total selling worldwide?

HD re-entered the UK Top 200 during 2 weeks a couple of weeks ago, 17 weeks on the Top 200 so far but it's out again now.

Total 1.312,000 so far as of 21/04 according to Mediatraffic, average of 7,000 copies each week now.
[www.mediatraffic.de]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 29, 2024 05:01

I should say that these past few weeks I taught a bunch of kids in my guitar class to play along to Mess It Up. They seemed to like it a lot!

Date: April 30, 2024 22:37

treaclefingers
It's interesting to me that when ABB came out, their was also that "divisiveness", though I think even the proponents agreed that the album could stand from some judicious editing - "oh and why in the hell did you leave off Under The Radar?".

I don't see that as much from the proponents this time, who like almost every cut (for me - I don't love LBTS) and for those that dislike the album, they do usually like a few cuts - though rarely the same ones but usually LBTS!

Perhaps for some of us, who've gone through the "Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost/Crosseyed Heart" period, we were relieved that we got something that we probably didn't even deserve to be this good - so a sense of musical relief?

That's a good way to look at it.

I liked England Lost (Grip is ridiculous) and thought CH was very good - yet a bit too long but prefer new Stones.

ABB, an album I loved upon release, absolutely should've been shorter. Fortunately there are playlists/CD burners where one can improve such things by removing songs that suck or just don't do much.

I did the same (playlists and CDs) with BRIDGES and VOODOO, although with VL I put just the VL session B-sides The Storm, Jump and Drive in and removed YGMR, New Faces, Sparks, Sweethearts and Rainbows. Much more interesting album.

With BTB I removed Streets Of Love, Oh No..., Neo and Driving. At 12 songs it's better.

So far no reason to edit HD because it's just right.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596
Current Page: 96 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2136
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home