Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 92 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2024 15:54

dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

Angry: good
Get Close: very good
Depending: very good (even if sounds like from goddess in the doorway)
Bite My Head Off: Bad, almost embarrasing.
WWW: good verses, horrible chorus,woudnt show this song to someome im trying to get into he stones. Because of that crige chorus
Dreamy Skies: Autopilot stones..the lyrics are bad
Mess It Up: very good.Charlie. The bass is messy as hell though. Shoud habe been Wyman too.
Sword: Great
Driving me too hard: bad. Stones by numbers. Boring
Tell me straight: very good
Sweet Sound: a snoozefest, why not more guitar??
Rolling Stone: bad, Mick didnt want to do it, and he was right.

Sorry for my english, I was on a hurry

Thank you for that break down. That made an analysis relatively straightforward and I've therefore been able to come to an irrefutable conclusion.

You lack good taste!

Don't worry, not everyone can have good taste. Your identifying "Sword" as the best cut was a clarifying moment for me!

Lack good taste?? That is your conclusion?? Give me a break Einstein... Live by the sword is great because it has talented musicians (may i say rock gods,the friggin ROLLING STONES) playing on it! Not just the remaning stones on top of mediocre session musicians, which is most of the material in here.Its a jewel on its own and specially compared to the average music on the rest on this. Talk about lack of taste....

Ha ha, you sir, are easily riled!

So if the reason you say Live By The Sword is a jewel (what in the hell?) because it's played by "more Stones", then I give you "Back To Zero" as evidence of even "more Stones"!

My assessment stands, I'm sorry.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 11, 2024 16:17

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

WWW: good verses, horrible chorus,woudnt show this song to someome im trying to get into he stones. Because of that crige chorus
Mess It Up: very good.Charlie. The bass is messy as hell though. Shoud habe been Wyman too.

Thank you for that break down. That made an analysis relatively straightforward and I've therefore been able to come to an irrefutable conclusion.

You lack good taste!

Don't worry, not everyone can have good taste. Your identifying "Sword" as the best cut was a clarifying moment for me!

Lack good taste?? That is your conclusion?? Give me a break Einstein... Live by the sword is great because it has talented musicians (may i say rock gods,the friggin ROLLING STONES) playing on it! Not just the remaning stones on top of mediocre session musicians, which is most of the material in here.Its a jewel on its own and specially compared to the average music on the rest on this. Talk about lack of taste....

So if the reason you say Live By The Sword is a jewel (what in the hell?) because it's played by "more Stones", then I give you "Back To Zero" as evidence of even "more Stones"!

You are right! Actually Back to Zero is a lot better than most of this half baked demo sounding rushed job.

And who is the touchy one? You got personal first, insulting me instead of talking about the album. Goddamn you act as if you made HD yourself, relax its just and album. And a bad one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 16:24 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 11, 2024 16:34

dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

You lack good taste!

You are right! Actually Back to Zero is a lot better than most of this half baked demo sounding rushed job.

And who is the touchy one? You got personal first, insulting me instead of talking about the album. Goddamn you act as if you made HD yourself, relax its just and album. And a bad one.

If you look at your own orignal song-by-song review, you give kudos to a lot of songs...however now you're painting yourself into a corner by declaring HD is a bad album, and BTZ is better than most of it. This in a reaction to my observation.

I just found entertainment in your analysis (re: it was funny). You don't need to publish your analysis if you're concerned that people may disagree with it, that's totally your choice. But there's no need to get angry (a track you describe as "good" BTW).

Date: April 11, 2024 16:34

IrelandCalling4
Doxa
Spud
I'm not one for analysing anything much ...

..but I'm still getting this album out and playing it on a frequent basis.

I play it occasionally, like I would play any other good album. But what I find on it special is the way it brings me certain joy and pleasure like no other new or recent album by anyone does. No matter what is going on, all the trouble in the world, you put HACKNEY DIAMONDS on and suddenly you smile again. The way The Stones transit positive energy like no else does. They don't push it, and it cannot be faked. It all comes out so naturally, it is constituted in the DNA of their music. They are special and HACKNEY DIAMONDS is an unique piece of music these days. A beautiful statement. My little world needed it more I ever knew.

- Doxa

Very beautifully put. I would agree

You have a good point Doxa

Date: April 11, 2024 16:36

IrelandCalling4
Doxa
Spud

I play it occasionally, like I would play any other good album. But what I find on it special is the way it brings me certain joy and pleasure like no other new or recent album by anyone does. No matter what is going on, all the trouble in the world, you put HACKNEY DIAMONDS on and suddenly you smile again. The way The Stones transit positive energy like no else does. They don't push it, and it cannot be faked. It all comes out so naturally, it is constituted in the DNA of their music. They are special and HACKNEY DIAMONDS is an unique piece of music these days. A beautiful statement. My little world needed it more I ever knew.

- Doxa

Very beautifully put. I would agree

You have a good point Doxa, the positive vibe of this guys is one of their biggest superpowers

Date: April 11, 2024 16:45

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

You lack good taste!

If you look at your own orignal song-by-song review, you give kudos to a lot of songs...however now you're painting yourself into a corner by declaring HD is a bad album, and BTZ is better than most of it. This in a reaction to my observation.

I just found entertainment in your analysis (re: it was funny). You don't need to publish your analysis if you're concerned that people may disagree with it, that's totally your choice. But there's no need to get angry (a track you describe as "good" BTW).

I dont mind people disagreeing with me, I love debating, what pissed me off is you saying I have bad taste. Woudnt you be if I called you an idiot for thinking its great?

And the back to 0 remark was just an absurd answer to an absurd statement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 16:46 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 11, 2024 16:46

dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

You lack good taste!

I dont mind people disagreeing with me, I love debating, what pissed me off is you saying I have bad taste. Woudnt you be if I called an idiot for thinking its great?

And the back to 0 remark was just an absurd answer to an absurd statement.

Sure, whatever you say.

Date: April 11, 2024 17:08

'half baked demo sounding rushed job'
What a load of nonsense. Each to their own, though.

Date: April 11, 2024 17:19

MadMetaphoricalMax

I exagerated for dramatic effect, please dont cry.

I like the album though, you can like bad things, I like ABB and its not very good...even if they released a christmas album I think I would also like it, its the stones after all.. but I can be realistic at the same time..

Again “ load of nonsense” yeesus calm down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 17:29 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 11, 2024 17:28

DandelionPowderman
I'm with Steve Jordan on Dreamy Skies. He said «this is what I signed up for», and I don't think he meant a Mick solo track winking smiley

The more I listen to Dreamy Skies, the more I love the wonderful guitar playing by Ronnie and Keith. I can agree about the lyrics, that it isn't really interesting to hear again and again how much Mick wants to get away. And nothing really happens. No tension, excitement or drama.

There is a vibe to it, however, that i like. So the combination of the music and the lyrics works for me somehow.

HD wouldn't be as good as it is without Dreamy Skies, imo. It tipped the album up from very good to great thumbs up

Ha. true. Certainly he signed up for a band venture, though despite the nice guitar passages, "Dreamy Skies" comes off (lyrically, not so much musically) as a "Hideaway" theme to me and a cousin to that vibe...though I suppose "Depending on You" and "Whole Wide World" are even more 'Goddess' or 'Superheavy' sounding than "Dreamy Skies" which indeed has those nice guitar bits.

UPDATE: I can't get "Depending on You" out of my head today, so there's that winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 18:24 by floodonthepage.

Date: April 11, 2024 17:41

floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman
I'm with Steve Jordan on Dreamy Skies. He said «this is what I signed up for», and I don't think he meant a Mick solo track winking smiley

The more I listen to Dreamy Skies, the more I love the wonderful guitar playing by Ronnie and Keith. I can agree about the lyrics, that it isn't really interesting to hear again and again how much Mick wants to get away. And nothing really happens. No tension, excitement or drama.

There is a vibe to it, however, that i like. So the combination of the music and the lyrics works for me somehow.

HD wouldn't be as good as it is without Dreamy Skies, imo. It tipped the album up from very good to great thumbs up

Ha. true. Certainly he signed up for a band venture, though despite the nice guitar passages, "Dreamy Skies" comes off (lyrically, not so much musically) as a "Hideaway" theme to me and a cousin to that vibe...though I suppose "Depending on You" and "Whole Wide World" are even more 'Goddess' or 'Superheavy' sounding than "Dreamy Skies" which indeed has those nice guitar bits.

Yes, keith guitar is very nice in DS. I would love more of that on the next record.

Date: April 11, 2024 19:28

dedospegajosos
MadMetaphoricalMax

I like the album though, you can like bad things, I like ABB and its not very good...even if they released a christmas album I think I would also like it, its the stones after all.. but I can be realistic at the same time..

I'm fine mate.It's you who's going off on one.
And leave it out with your please don't cry crap. As if.
As if your opinion mattered. But you are opinionated, not realistic. Especially if you think it's a bad album.

Date: April 11, 2024 19:41

MadMetaphoricalMax
dedospegajosos
MadMetaphoricalMax

I'm fine mate.It's you who's going off on one.
And leave it out with your please don't cry crap. As if.
As if your opinion mattered. But you are opinionated, not realistic. Especially if you think it's a bad album.

And that’s your opinion.. and it also doesn’t matter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 20:46 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 11, 2024 22:06

dedospegajosos
floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman

Yes, keith guitar is very nice in DS. I would love more of that on the next record.

I never thought I'd see the day Keith is so content with his place in the Stones, if it's not playing second fiddle to Mick/Chuck when it comes to live show arrangements and orchestration of the songs and how they are played, it's eagerly playing away on Mick's solo tracks. Keith is kind of happy with being Mick's bitch now haha, it's been that way since 2012 to some extent and even long before that to a lesser extent, the times they are a changin.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 12, 2024 09:27

DandelionPowderman
I'm pretty sure they could pull off both Driving Me Too Hard and Live By The Sword nicely live.

They would have to take the risk that at the start of Driving, people think it's Tumbling Dice, start cheering enthusiastically, then realise it's not, and inflate all that energy.
I've seen that sort of thing happening with other acts, and though it's funny to watch, it might be hard to deal with on stage.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 12, 2024 11:19

Spud

Yeah well I’m still getting beer out of the fridge and drinking it on a frequent basis. Mainly Warsteiner, a German pilsner. Is it that delicious or am I just an alcoholic? If I’m sick I may not be capable of answering that question, at least not honestly.

I would submit, respectfully, that many on this board suffer from mass psychosis whenever the Stones release product. I mean to some degree we’re all fanatics here which means we love the band and their music unconditionally. We're fanatics. And I wouldn’t expect a fanatic to have the good sense required to stop listening to crap, if in fact that’s what HD is. And I rather think it is.

Last night I listened to Claudine and Undercover of the Night as a cure for my illness. I recommend you and others do the same and keep doing it until you're ready to shoot your HD record full of holes.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 12, 2024 15:11

Is HD crap ?

I don't know ...but I like it, so I listen to it.

Maybe I like crap ?

All I know is that I've been more inclined to keep playing HD than I was with ABB for example when that was released...

I don't think HD is perfect by any means....

Personally I could do without some of the catchy "pop" hooks ...but I recognise these to be the very things that endear the record to many other folks...and that's fine.

Date: April 12, 2024 15:45

[www.youtube.com]

An objective review I think..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-12 15:46 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 12, 2024 16:10

HD? Just a great little late-career masterpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-12 16:12 by Testify.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 12, 2024 16:52

Spud
Is HD crap ?

I don't know ...but I like it, so I listen to it.

Maybe I like crap ?

I agree completely with this. I like Dirty Work, I like ABB, I like HD. I like all the Stones stuff, and all the Stones solo stuff. I like the Dylan stuff many people hate. I like a lot of different music -- some people also like it and some people don't.
Maybe I like crap, too, and I'm OK with that.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 12, 2024 17:57

Someone, I don't know who, said that a decent rock/pop album should have a hit single, a good ballad and two songs you can play live. From my viewpoint the album has the good ballad -
SSOH - but maybe not the clear-cut single. Surely it has two tracks you can play live. Most certainly it has the typical Keith rock ballad which he can play in his two-songs-solo-set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-12 20:31 by Stoneage.

Date: April 12, 2024 20:36

dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 12, 2024 21:40

In Germany, Hackney Diamonds has now left the general Top-100 album charts after 24 weeks - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 13, 2024 04:05

matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

Ha ha, these are good ones! "Objective" and "fair". Fair because of what exactly? Because it supports your opinions? That's not what "fair" actually means, that's just... useful, useful for you.

Even more idiotic is the term "objective review". Simply because no such thing like an "objective review" exists. By definition, a review can only be subjective because it reflects the viewpoints and opinions of the actual reviewers, not more, not less.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 13, 2024 05:08

retired_dog
matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

Ha ha, these are good ones! "Objective" and "fair". Fair because of what exactly? Because it supports your opinions? That's not what "fair" actually means, that's just... useful, useful for you.

Even more idiotic is the term "objective review". Simply because no such thing like an "objective review" exists. By definition, a review can only be subjective because it reflects the viewpoints and opinions of the actual reviewers, not more, not less.

Very good, retired_dog. Your clarity speaks to the truth.

Date: April 13, 2024 10:27

retired_dog
matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

If I would say, "I don't like a painting by Rembrandt because he can't paint", that would be unfair. If I would say, "it doesn't appeal to me, I think he's done better ones", it would be fair, and someone else could still disagree with it.
Or, if I could go to a supposedly fancy restaurant and I get a hamburger. (A good one, well done, tasty, the works). I could say: "I expected more", which would be a fair thing to say. Or I could say: "These people can't cook", which would be unfair. Other people might still be impressed by the hamburger of course and yet understand that not everyone feels the same. That's what fair reviews can achieve.

Delighted to have that cleared up, I remain yours faithfully, at your service.

Date: April 13, 2024 10:35

matxil
retired_dog
matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

If I would say, "I don't like a painting by Rembrandt because he can't paint", that would be unfair. If I would say, "it doesn't appeal to me, I think he's done better ones", it would be fair, and someone else could still disagree with it.
Or, if I could go to a supposedly fancy restaurant and I get a hamburger. (A good one, well done, tasty, the works). I could say: "I expected more", which would be a fair thing to say. Or I could say: "These people can't cook", which would be unfair. Other people might still be impressed by the hamburger of course and yet understand that not everyone feels the same. That's what fair reviews can achieve.

Delighted to have that cleared up, I remain yours faithfully, at your service.

Still, it's fair for you because it supports your opinion. A review is only an opinion smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2024 12:26

.....and the queen is bravely shouting .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2024 14:50

Irix
In Germany, Hackney Diamonds has now left the general Top-100 album charts after 24 weeks - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

And millions of Stones fans the world over can salute Germany, and proudly say, "ich bin ein Berliner!".

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 13, 2024 15:25

"Whole Wide World" is still my favourite of these tunes. Also, Steve sounds very Charlie to my ears on this one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 92 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home