Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2024 06:30

Bashlets
CD is much harsher on the ears but they have released worse. Blue and Lonesome with any volume sounded distorted and Universals release of Goats and Sticky in 2009 or 2010 were dreadful

UMG's handling of the Stones' LPs on CD has been criminal - it's not the format's fault.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2024 09:33

GasLightStreet
Bashlets
CD is much harsher on the ears but they have released worse. Blue and Lonesome with any volume sounded distorted and Universals release of Goats and Sticky in 2009 or 2010 were dreadful

UMG's handling of the Stones' LPs on CD has been criminal - it's not the format's fault.

No, it's not. But the format is guilty for many other things. I will not miss it when it with those stupid plastic boxes is finally - and rightly - dead and gone.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-19 09:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 19, 2024 10:23

GasLightStreet

Doxa

No, it's not. But the format is guilty for many other things. I will not miss it when it with those stupid plastic boxes is finally - and rightly - dead and gone.

- Doxa

CD was never a good enough medium to replace vinyl ...but it can sound pretty good if the right decisions are made by skilled engineers in the mastering process.

Higher resolution digital formats probably are good enough ...but they aren't made available to the market via a universally recognised high quality format.

[It's a bit like if there had been two kinds of LP , a poorer quality one for playing on Dansettes and one for audiophile systems, but nobody sold the good ones ! ]

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: February 19, 2024 11:57

Okay Gaslight, really? insulting someone who believes in the bible, and his religion.He was only making a point about his thoughts on the title. Nobody is going to mistake the Stones for "choir boys". How do you know the bible is "fake"?

You should be suspended...............

P.S.--my take is that he is from another country, which may be a more "religious" than the USA.

Date: February 19, 2024 13:07

Keith was a choir boy ...

... a bloody good one too grinning smiley

Date: February 19, 2024 13:20

stonesurvive
Okay Gaslight, really? insulting someone who believes in the bible, and his religion.He was only making a point about his thoughts on the title. Nobody is going to mistake the Stones for "choir boys". How do you know the bible is "fake"?

You should be suspended...............

P.S.--my take is that he is from another country, which may be a more "religious" than the USA.

Which post are you referring to here?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 19, 2024 15:26

GasLightStreet
noughties
dedospegajosos
noughties
harlem shuffle
Voodoo Lounge is not a very good album,it,s some good songs on it,but after a while is a bit boring

Calling their album "Voodoo Lounge" is such a naughty strike. What were they thinking?

Sorry, english is not my native language, what do you mean?

Maybe I should say streak, but that´s not important. What I meant was just calling their album "Voodoo Lounge". That would mean a lounge full of bad guys, or at least with dubious intentions, having to do with the occult.

Do you have BEGGARS BANQUET? LET IT BLEED? Or GOATS HEAD SOUP - and anything through 1983's UNDERCOVER?

Are you truly offended by an album name that, to you, implies "a lounge full of bad guys, or at least with dubious intentions, having to do with the occult"?

Obviously you are.

You really take that crap seriously?

Obviously you do.

Are you some kind of "holy person" that's stumbled onto this board?

Seems so. Fine. Cool.

All of what you say is no different than taking the bible seriously - and what a joke - at least The Rolling Stones are real and enjoyable.

It was this exchange a month ago. It didn't go anywhere.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 20, 2024 09:27

Come on, I think the ceiling height should be at least 2,40m on this forum. Not 1,80. GSL can be a bit hot-tempered sometimes but he's not wrong here. This forum is not a church.

Date: February 20, 2024 10:09

Oh , I don't know about that...

...but others might say we're worshipping false idols grinning smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 21, 2024 10:30

My review of HD. Let me preface it by saying I haven’t listened to it in months.

Angry – Vacuous lyrics (sad when compared to Mick’s truly provocative lyrics in the 60s and 70s but I suppose we should all be used to it by now) but the mediocrity of the song is partially concealed by the production. It kinda sounds like ‘Sweethearts Together’ on steroids. It’s ok, I guess, if you’re the kind of Stones fan who goes gaga over Voodoo Lounge. I stopped listening to VL 30 years ago (except ‘The Worst’) and I’ve already stopped listening to ‘Angry.’

Get Close – The verses are vaguely reminiscent of Jagger’s ‘Too Far Gone’ (a rare Jagger solo song that I don’t despise) but don’t think I’ll be returning to this song either unless I have a craving for a good sax solo because that’s the only highlight. ‘I wanna get close to you?’ Sheesh. A song about ‘Glenn Close’ would probably be far more interesting than this tired cliché.

Depending on You – This is the song that lasted the longest in my YouTube rotation. I have nothing bad to say about it except it’s not really a song that requires the presence of Keith and Ronnie. It’s also a song that suffers somewhat from Jagger’s nasally delivery so I’m not even sure it belongs on one of his solo records. Would love to hear what Leo Sayer could do with this.

Bite My Head Off – Puerile…McCartney deserved better.

Whole Wide World - The lyrics aren’t as half-assed as usual and for that alone I’m calling this the best song on the record. But why they decided to write a song that mimics the style of Depeche Mode baffles the hell out of me. No, it’s more than just baffling. It’s not like, say, Miss You where they give disco a Stonesy treatment. It’s almost like the Stones had a sex-change operation. And forgive me but that makes me say ‘ooh.’

Dreamy Skies – More 80 y/o muscle flexing by the boys here with this fantastic addition to the lullaby genre.

Mess It Up – This one truly belongs on a Jagger solo album..you know, those albums you own but never play.

Live By The Sword – ‘Filler’ is the most generous word I can think of to describe this tuneless masterclass in inept songwriting.

Driving Me Too Hard – Pleasantly repetitive song for life after the lobotomy.

Tell Me Straight – OK, Keith, I’ll tell ya straight – wait, what was the question again? Oh yeah, no you’ll never write a song as good as ‘Happy’ again.

Sweet Sounds of Heaven – If this is a tribute to Charlie, then it’s OK and Mick you’re forgiven for that stupid line about dusty motels.

Rolling Stone Blues – Well, this one’s alright, innit?

Date: February 21, 2024 12:46

If you haven't even been bothered to listen to it in months why on earth do you think you, we or anyone will benefit from these miserable-old-git style ramblings about an album you appear to hate and have barely listened to?

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: February 21, 2024 16:22

You're entitled to your opinion sir. Don't know if i'd have wasted so much time being negative.

Personally I think it's a great album. SSoH is possibly in my Stones top 10. It's The Stones in 2023, not '78. In the same way it was the Stones in '71, not '63.

It's amazing how they have evolved. The evolution may not be what you/we wanted. It's their life tho. They lived it as they wanted. We are just passengers who are along for the ride.....

I am just incredibly appreciative that guys who are late 70s/early 80s, can knock out an album like this, really care about it, and feel good enough to play it live in NYC the week it gets released.

This aint gonna last forever. Time waits for no one as they said. Clock is ticking on them and all of us. Let's cherish they are still here and able to be creative and tour....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-25 20:42 by jigsaw69.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 21, 2024 16:35

^agreed 100%

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 21, 2024 19:25

Swayed1967
My review of HD. Let me preface it by saying I haven’t listened to it in months.

Angry – Vacuous lyrics (sad when compared to Mick’s truly provocative lyrics in the 60s and 70s but I suppose we should all be used to it by now) but the mediocrity of the song is partially concealed by the production. It kinda sounds like ‘Sweethearts Together’ on steroids. It’s ok, I guess, if you’re the kind of Stones fan who goes gaga over Voodoo Lounge. I stopped listening to VL 30 years ago (except ‘The Worst’) and I’ve already stopped listening to ‘Angry.’

Get Close – The verses are vaguely reminiscent of Jagger’s ‘Too Far Gone’ (a rare Jagger solo song that I don’t despise) but don’t think I’ll be returning to this song either unless I have a craving for a good sax solo because that’s the only highlight. ‘I wanna get close to you?’ Sheesh. A song about ‘Glenn Close’ would probably be far more interesting than this tired cliché.

Depending on You – This is the song that lasted the longest in my YouTube rotation. I have nothing bad to say about it except it’s not really a song that requires the presence of Keith and Ronnie. It’s also a song that suffers somewhat from Jagger’s nasally delivery so I’m not even sure it belongs on one of his solo records. Would love to hear what Leo Sayer could do with this.

Whole Wide World - The lyrics aren’t as half-assed as usual and for that alone I’m calling this the best song on the record. But why they decided to write a song that mimics the style of Depeche Mode baffles the hell out of me. No, it’s more than just baffling. It’s not like, say, Miss You where they give disco a Stonesy treatment. It’s almost like the Stones had a sex-change operation. And forgive me but that makes me say ‘ooh.’

Dreamy Skies – More 80 y/o muscle flexing by the boys here with this fantastic addition to the lullaby genre.

Mess It Up – This one truly belongs on a Jagger solo album..you know, those albums you own but never play.

Live By The Sword – ‘Filler’ is the most generous word I can think of to describe this tuneless masterclass in inept songwriting.

Tell Me Straight – OK, Keith, I’ll tell ya straight – wait, what was the question again? Oh yeah, no you’ll never write a song as good as ‘Happy’ again.

Sweet Sounds of Heaven – If this is a tribute to Charlie, then it’s OK and Mick you’re forgiven for that stupid line about dusty motels.

Sounds like you only listen to lyrics and not the music. Pretty sad .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 21, 2024 20:12

Perfectly said.

MadMetaphoricalMax
If you haven't even been bothered to listen to it in months why on earth do you think you, we or anyone will benefit from these miserable-old-git style ramblings about an album you appear to hate and have barely listened to?

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 21, 2024 20:17

Swayed1967 I dont think you really have listen to the album very much.First,this is not a Jagger soloalbum,Keith has really done very much of this album,but of course since you Are among the Jagger haters,it,s no problem to understand you.Go buy some Cliff Richard stuff instead and some bubble gum

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 22, 2024 00:13

Jagger hater? LOL, I just read it, it's not so much an album criticism, he/she hates the entire band!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 22, 2024 03:46

Stoneage
Come on, I think the ceiling height should be at least 2,40m on this forum. Not 1,80. GSL can be a bit hot-tempered sometimes but he's not wrong here. This forum is not a church.

That was my point. It was a month ago and it didn't become a big deal so why worry?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 22, 2024 09:47

Swayed1967

Thanks for posting, it was quite refreshing to read. I will not repost everything, just the parts I want to comment on.

Swayed1967
Angry – Vacuous lyrics (sad when compared to Mick’s truly provocative lyrics in the 60s and 70s but I suppose we should all be used to it by now) but the mediocrity of the song is partially concealed by the production. It kinda sounds like ‘Sweethearts Together’ on steroids.

Good point about comparing the melody with Sweethearts Together. I hadn't noticed it, but you're right. As sappy as it may be, I like Sweethearts Together though (but I agree that Voodoo Lounge is not a good album).

Swayed1967
Funny. Personally, what annoys me most is the lame guitars in this song. And it might be because I have it on CD and not on vinyl but I don't understand why people like the sax solo. To me, it reminds me of 80's Matt Bianco. But maybe that's a production/sound kind of thing.

Yes, it's very new-wave-ey, quite the opposite of what once made the Stones special: mean bluesy riffs and licks that challenged the main rhythm with counter-rhythms. Still, there's a certain pop likeability to it. And they've always had those kind of songs too.

Or as good as Thief In The Night.

It's a fun song, with Jagger and Gaga having fun. That's alright. It only becomes annoying if people pretend it has any depth or heartfelt meaning. But one can't blame the Stones for that.

As much as I like the Stones honouring their blues roots, I find this version a bit hollow. It's alright, I guess, but not really adding anything.

Date: February 22, 2024 10:34

Opinions and tastes, as always, are polarised ...

...with some folks dismissing the album out of hand whilst others have hyped it up beyond all reason .

Some of us I think have also over-thought and analysed it.

All I can say is that I've probably gotten to know and enjoy listening to this album more than any other since TY.

As time lends a bit of perspective, rather than tiring of it, I find myself liking it more and more.

I don't really know why...but it must count for something.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2024 11:37

Yeah thats the way Spud .....

Anyway who gives a stuff if they dont like it .... Their lose...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 22, 2024 13:29

in the gym minding my business and ANGRY comes on....and peeps are singing or grooving......sorry but enough with the naysayers....STFU already....music is there to turn you on.....enjoy it......what sad lives to sit and criticize everything ....all the time...

Date: February 22, 2024 15:44

C'mon, don't be that hard on Swayed1967. He or she just came to share his personal and I suppose honest opinion about the album. Something that had been put some thought, since its not any instant reflections. It's not like he/she is here to annoy anyone or to spoil someone's party or trying to campaign negativity by constant rambling (there've been those voices here).

I find his review well-written and funny, although I disagree with its judgments hugely. I hope he or she some day as well.

- Doxa

Date: February 22, 2024 16:07

I remember Sway. She was a French girl who used to post in the Cars thread. I wonder if she's still here? I don't remember her full poster name...

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: February 22, 2024 16:12

Swayed1967

Wow, what a thoughtful review, rubbish, you must really dislike Mick Jagger, I supposed you thought Miss You and Emotional Rescue should be on Mick's solo album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2024 17:19

J-J-Flash
Swayed1967

Wow, what a thoughtful review, rubbish, you must really dislike Mick Jagger, I supposed you thought Miss You and Emotional Rescue should be on Mick's solo album.

That's a hilarious review by someone who clearly has a large amount of built up scorn they are anxious to release. But it is pretty poorly written, which is the nicest thing I have to say about it, that and it is quite funny (unintentionally?).

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: February 22, 2024 19:39

treaclefingers
J-J-Flash
Swayed1967

That's a hilarious review by someone who clearly has a large amount of built up scorn they are anxious to release. But it is pretty poorly written, which is the nicest thing I have to say about it, that and it is quite funny (unintentionally?).

I agree with anynone who says this is a good album, and I also agree with anyone who says it is their worst album. Never happened to me before with any other stones album

Date: February 22, 2024 19:44

Stoneage
I remember Sway. She was a French girl who used to post in the Cars thread. I wonder if she's still here? I don't remember her full poster name...

SwayStones. Unfortunately she has passed away.

- Doxa

Date: February 22, 2024 21:33

Very sorry to hear that, Doxa. Far too young to go also.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 22, 2024 21:43

it's beena bit now that I have not put hd on the plate, swayed1967's thoughts made me want to go back to it, thanx

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home