Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 2, 2023 18:05

Spud

I'm hoping for an Abbey Road vinyl remaster at some point ...from a nice flat digital transfer.

Here's a comparison of 'Hackney Diamonds' - Digital vs Vinyl - [MagicVinylDigital.net] .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 2, 2023 20:14

Could someone explain why anyone would want to buy so many editions of the same album? I don't mean with this live cd, but people buying up to a dozen versions of the same original HD album. It's like a mania or an obsession and I just can't understand it. Can't these consumers see they're being played like a violin?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 2, 2023 20:32

peoplewitheyes
Could someone explain why anyone would want to buy so many editions of the same album? I don't mean with this live cd, but people buying up to a dozen versions of the same original HD album. It's like a mania or an obsession and I just can't understand it. Can't these consumers see they're being played like a violin?
Stamps collection

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 2, 2023 22:48

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 3, 2023 06:11

Rockman
HD Special Live Edition sold out in CD Japan

So whats the bonus on the Japanese Hack Rack ????

Is it still just Living In a Ghost Town on the Hack disc ????

Indeed it is Ghost, Rock.

Date: December 3, 2023 06:12

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
Bashlets
Billboard magazine and stones website indicate it is a January 2024 release and other sites like Amazon UK say December 15. I have not found a listing with Amazon USA yet

Universal is milking the album where the audience is buying the album: UK and Europe.

In the US is all about touring, the album is almost out of the Top 200 so all the promotion is in the UK, radio airplay for Mess It Up, bonus live version out on the week before Christamas, etc.

Sales wise. Billboard determines all!!!

No telling with streaming (at the moment?).

What a mess! Streaming has turned the music world upside down, compared to the past, in regard to what is a success.

The whole shitshow about Spotify is alarming - there are others! Why is Spotify so big when they pay so little? Is is just the access? That labels and bands have taken Spotify in? The promotion?

What's the old standard - be leery of those that advertise a lot? Yet so many artists/bands are promoting Spotify... while hardly getting paid!

THANKS FOR THE EXPOSURE! they look like, even though they chose to participate, when Tidal offers much better quality.

Obviously The Rolling Stones are making more than $0.004 cents per stream (in the US) per UME. As they should. But UME is making that, not the Stones.

The record deal the Stones have with UME (UMe) dictates aspects. UME is probably mostly interested in the quick nickel than the long dime when it comes to Stones reissues, deluxe or not.

Way more on the new album. HACKNEY DIAMONDS should outsell any reissue since 2010 probably.

What a weird business, a catalogue act.

"Let's find a way to convince people that bought SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU to buy HACKNEY DIAMONDS."

The (actually not) strange thing is... it's as good as those two albums and better since anything post-1981.

The whole Christmas thing, though... I get the possible bump in sales because "Oh they need to have this as an Xmas gift" mentality but it's not like 2 million people will do that yet alone 20 million or maybe even 20,000.

Yet BLUE AND LONESOME was revealing.

Whatever.

Streaming has made sales flaccid in regard to "relevance", which, if you look at history, "relevance" with rock, hard rock, rock'n'roll, ended in 1997 when Soundgarden broke up.

And yet Ms. Swift is going to earn over $100MM this year just from Spotify alone!!! That’s a LOT of friggin streams!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-03 06:13 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: December 3, 2023 06:15

peoplewitheyes

I love colored vinyl. Though really for me the definitive version to own of HD is the Paul Smith one. Really wish I’d bought 2 of that one so I could open one. Best damn cover.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 3, 2023 13:39

peoplewitheyes

Being played like an entire orchestra my friend, not just a violin! Good luck to them if they want to shell out vast amounts of money for coloured vinyl, for CDs with the same tracks in a different order, or with a different picture on the front. Or whatever other presentational variations the band - or more likely, the suits - dream up so they can sell the same material over and over and over and over...

I don't get it myself. But I want to emphasise my respect for anyone seeing this in an entirely different way to me. I'm afraid I'm just one of those boring people who buys ONE copy of an album. I may also buy any singles released from it, but only if these differ significantly from the version on the album I already own. I must also say that I am horrified that The Stones now only release one track singles. No extras at all. No 'b sides' - as they used to be called when I was a boy. No remixes. Diddly squat!

It all feels exploitive to me. Very exploitive. But, as I've been saying, clearly many others don't.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 3, 2023 15:46

GerardHennessy
peoplewitheyes

Being played like an entire orchestra my friend, not just a violin! Good luck to them if they want to shell out vast amounts of money for coloured vinyl, for CDs with the same tracks in a different order, or with a different picture on the front. Or whatever other presentational variations the band - or more likely, the suits - dream up so they can sell the same material over and over and over and over...

I don't get it myself. But I want to emphasise my respect for anyone seeing this in an entirely different way to me. I'm afraid I'm just one of those boring people who buys ONE copy of an album. I may also buy any singles released from it, but only if these differ significantly from the version on the album I already own. I must also say that I am horrified that The Stones now only release one track singles. No extras at all. No 'b sides' - as they used to be called when I was a boy. No remixes. Diddly squat!

It all feels exploitive to me. Very exploitive. But, as I've been saying, clearly many others don't.

This in particular. At least, the japanese SSOH CD-single has the short version as a bonus track! Apart from that, absolutely "nil". Physical singles would be the perfect opportunity to let some outtakes from 1982 onwards out - from albums that probably will never see any deluxe/expanded editions anyway, like For Your Precious Love, Still In Love, Giving It up and the like. Looks like they keep everything that's usable for future exploitation...

Date: December 3, 2023 16:10

retired_dog

Physical singles would be the perfect opportunity to let some outtakes from 1982 onwards out

Similar to the 'Miss You (Remix)' on the 'Don't Stop' CD-Single.

Date: December 3, 2023 17:10

Irix
retired_dog

Physical singles would be the perfect opportunity to let some outtakes from 1982 onwards out

Similar to the 'Miss You (Remix)' on the 'Don't Stop' CD-Single.

Yes, or "So Young" from the Some Girls-sessions on the CD-Maxi of "Love Is Strong" as another example.

Then again, we should not complain too much as we're getting the Racket show now in one go... Instead, they could have used the seven live tracks for seven different HD-editions, released in seven consecutive months in a "Collect 'em all to get the complete show!"-campaign... But even they are not that shameless!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 3, 2023 18:03

I think it’s a good deal. 2cds and the list price is like $2 more than the single. I think they are making a smart move. Hope the live cd quality is stellar. I always worry with the live stuff. Could be mixed crappy and have muddy sound like Miami 1994 is basically unlistenable.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 3, 2023 18:38

Hackney Diamond has the best performance in the UK chart for a studio album since Sticky Fingers.

UK chart run for HD after 6 weeks:
1-3-4-8-4-3

And Studio albums since 1971:

Sticky Fingers
*1*-1-1-1-2-2

Exile On Main Street
*1*-3-4-5-6-11

Goats Head Soup
*1*-1-2-2-5-6

It's Only Rock'n Roll
5-*2*-5-13-14-21

Black And Blue
4-*2*-2-6-6-6

Some Girls
30-*2*-4-4-3-4

Emotional Rescue
*1*-1-2-2-3-5

Tattoo You
*2*-2-3-6-10-10

Undercover
*3*-5-15-26-33-39

Dirty Work
*4*-8-14-29-34-59

Steel Wheels
*2*-6-13-19-28-43

Voodoo Lounge
*1*-2-4-4-6-12

Bridges To Babylon
*6*-12-27-38-62-69

A Bigger Bang
*2*-13-32-61-92-out

Blue & Lonesome
*1*-2-4-5-5-10

Date: December 3, 2023 20:34

That is incredible staying power, especially given most of bought (up a dozen) copies in the first week.

So who's still buying it? Christmas present for grandpa?

Date: December 3, 2023 22:01

GerardHennessy
peoplewitheyes

No I clearly understand what I'm sucked into and contributing to. I don't understand - or rather I should say I don't have the space/money to buy multiple copies of any release and keep one and open the other. I am rather confined with what I do buy/collect. I believe Live Licks was the first time that I bought more than 1 copy of any album, as I wanted all the different variants of the album cover. Up til then I was trying to buy just the definitive version that had all the CD-released tracks and often those were the Japanese releases. This way I had all the officially released material on CD, which is what I had started out collecting way back when until the release of Plundered My Sould 45" changed it all.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 3, 2023 23:03

peoplewitheyes
Could someone explain why anyone would want to buy so many editions of the same album? I don't mean with this live cd, but people buying up to a dozen versions of the same original HD album.

I can't speak for others here, but I personally have been melting discs of Hackney Diamonds down and injecting them into my veins.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: December 3, 2023 23:20

peoplewitheyes

I have the regular cd version and the Japan version just because of the bonustrack. And I also will buy the live edition. Just because of the extra tracks I buy them. I don’t buy different versions only because different artwork or vinyl colors.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2023 03:35

I can't speak for others here, but I personally have been melting discs of Hackney Diamonds down and injecting them into my veins.

Come on now Howlingmad ......
Be a real dude and inject them into ya eye-balls .... HHHaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2023 06:05

VoodooLounge13
peoplewitheyes

I love colored vinyl. Though really for me the definitive version to own of HD is the Paul Smith one. Really wish I’d bought 2 of that one so I could open one. Best damn cover.

I think the answer to the question is some people have disposable income and they have a hobby. They choose to collect, kind of like stamps or coins.

You could a similar question "why would someone spend a thousand dollars for a group of 80 year olds playing music for 2 hours?"

I could suggest "consumers are being played like several violins"...but it's not my place to other people do with their money.

Just because things don't fit your narrative doesn't mean they don't make sense for other people.

Date: December 4, 2023 10:50

It's not 'my narrative', clearly it's an obvious (and fairly cynical) marketing ploy.

I am, however, asking the question sincerely about what it the attraction of buying multiple copies of the same thing?

As for the comparison with going to a concert, well, that provides you with two hours of music, a chance to see living legends, hang with your friends etc, so doesn't seem like a valid example.

Again, people can spend their money as they choose, I don't care, but I am interested in the impulse and wondered if anyone could articulate this desire.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 4, 2023 11:13

Japanese version of 2 CD Hackney Diamonds back for pre order on CDJapan.

Like VoodooLounge13 wrote above, I'd normally only buy the album once; if the Japanese version had a bonus track that's the one I'd go for. This time I got the cassette aswell as it's just a nice collectible. CD/Bluray for the book, Japanese edition for bonus track. Standard CD I gave as gift to one of my brothers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-04 11:18 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 4, 2023 12:11

Irix
Spud

I'm hoping for an Abbey Road vinyl remaster at some point ...from a nice flat digital transfer.

Here's a comparison of 'Hackney Diamonds' - Digital vs Vinyl - [MagicVinylDigital.net] .

Looks like the vinyl was done with a bit of care & sense then .

Credit where it's due.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 4, 2023 12:12

IrelandCalling4
Just in time for Xmas, sales bump. Do I purchase it again - I have the Japanese digipack version, the standard jewel case, the cassette, and the CD/Bluray box. A fifth copy? Likely will, hard to say no - extra CD, amended booklet.

There'll be another version next year maybe with DVD, the remixes..etc. Will probably purchase that too lol

Thankfully the album is great, 6 or so weeks' in and the charm of it still as potent as that first listening.

Hello!
Where can I find the Cassette?
Thanks!

Date: December 4, 2023 12:30

marquess

Where can I find the Cassette?

Sold out - [RSno9.co.uk] . Available for higher prices on [www.eBay.co.uk] .

By the KidSuper designer: "Honored to design the cassette for The Rolling Stones’ new album Hackney Diamonds!! The idea for this was Hackney Diamonds is slang for broken car window glass on the streets. I wanted to make the iconic tongue logo out of glass. I shattered glass and hand placed it into the shape. It might have looked photoshopped but this was all hand made. Swipe to see me place all the glass" - [www.Instagram.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-04 12:50 by Irix.

Date: December 4, 2023 13:45

georgelicks
Hackney Diamond has the best performance in the UK chart for a studio album since Sticky Fingers.

UK chart run for HD after 6 weeks:
1-3-4-8-4-3

And Studio albums since 1971:

Sticky Fingers
*1*-1-1-1-2-2

Exile On Main Street
*1*-3-4-5-6-11

Goats Head Soup
*1*-1-2-2-5-6

It's Only Rock'n Roll
5-*2*-5-13-14-21

Black And Blue
4-*2*-2-6-6-6

Some Girls
30-*2*-4-4-3-4

Emotional Rescue
*1*-1-2-2-3-5

Tattoo You
*2*-2-3-6-10-10

Undercover
*3*-5-15-26-33-39

Dirty Work
*4*-8-14-29-34-59

Steel Wheels
*2*-6-13-19-28-43

Voodoo Lounge
*1*-2-4-4-6-12

Bridges To Babylon
*6*-12-27-38-62-69

A Bigger Bang
*2*-13-32-61-92-out

Blue & Lonesome
*1*-2-4-5-5-10

Looks like ER had a better run, unless you judge by the week 6 position.

Date: December 4, 2023 15:06

retired_dog

This in particular. At least, the japanese SSOH CD-single has the short version as a bonus track! Apart from that, absolutely "nil". Physical singles would be the perfect opportunity to let some outtakes from 1982 onwards out - from albums that probably will never see any deluxe/expanded editions anyway, like For Your Precious Love, Still In Love, Giving It up and the like. Looks like they keep everything that's usable for future exploitation...

Unfortunately, old farts like us who want old school singles are a dying breed. In the streaming age, one song at the time is all we're gonna get. The only «opportunity» they see is to price that song as much as they can. When they bother to make physical copies, the strategy remains the same smiling smiley

Date: December 4, 2023 15:11

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
peoplewitheyes

I think the answer to the question is some people have disposable income and they have a hobby. They choose to collect, kind of like stamps or coins.

You could a similar question "why would someone spend a thousand dollars for a group of 80 year olds playing music for 2 hours?"

I could suggest "consumers are being played like several violins"...but it's not my place to other people do with their money.

Just because things don't fit your narrative doesn't mean they don't make sense for other people.

I think this is a fair assessment right here. Some folks have more disposable income than others - or maybe not even, but choose to spend their money on a passion/hobby/collection that makes him/her happy. Nothing wrong with that. Honestly, I think it's better than drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or anything else of that nature.

For me, it had been 18 loooooooooooooooooooooong years, and I got every bit caught up in the hype and excitement of it all, propelled by Angry and how good it was/is. I don't regret buying multiple copies for the various vinyl colorings. I've done that with several of their releases, and indeed actually have to go back and backfill the black vinyl regular editions in several places, but at the very least I would have still have bought several various copies - Paul Smith vinyl, Eyes/Tongue cover vinyl, normal cover vinyl, KidSuper CD & Cassette, Barcelona picture disc, regular picture disc, boxset, Japanese bonus track, and now the Live Edition. So that's still 9 copies. For me personally it just amazes me that this new album, which really does leave me a bit *meh* now has more copies in my collection than Sticky, which is - though not my favorite album - THE seminal Stones album. That's just crazy.

And I fear that the different variants of this album will not end with this new Live Edition either!!! Shocked there's no vinyl variant!

Date: December 4, 2023 15:17

<Shocked there's no vinyl variant!>

Yet... smoking smiley

Date: December 4, 2023 17:43

DandelionPowderman

Yet... smoking smiley

7 different new HD editions with 1 bonus live track only. Each edition available in 6 different vinyl colors plus 1 picture disc. Cover variants... Aaaah, the possibilities are endless!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 4, 2023 17:49

Just listened to the Atmos version on apple music. Still haven't surrendered to this format, but I got to say that in the case of Diamonds, it wins over the normal stereo version: the instruments sound way more natural, the dynamics aren't squashed, almost natural, the voice is a little more buried in the mix. Only miss, bass is better, to my taste, in the stereo version.

C

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home