Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 27, 2023 19:25

Polydor execs on the Rolling Stones' 'audacious' No.1 campaign as Hackney Diamonds tops 72,000 sales

by Andre Paine

Polydor execs on the Rolling Stones' 'audacious' No.1 campaign as Hackney Diamonds tops 72,000 sales
The Rolling Stones outsold the rest of the Top 8 combined to secure a 14th No.1 album with Hackney Diamonds.

The band’s first album of original material since 2005 secured the third biggest opening of the year with sales of 72,204 (including 64,606 physical copies, 4,373 downloads and 3,225 sales-equivalent streams), according to the Official Charts Company. Only Lewis Capaldi and Ed Sheeran have sold more in seven days so far in 2023.

The chart result means that the Rolling Stones have 11 No.1 studio albums, which puts them level with The Beatles, Robbie Williams and Bruce Springsteen as the acts with the most chart-topping studio LPs. When taking into account other collections, including greatest hits, reissues and live albums, the Rolling Stones and Robbie Williams are on 14 No.1 albums, just behind The Beatles with 16.

As revealed in Alan Jones' charts analysis, the Rolling Stones are the only group to have new No.1 albums in six different decades (1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2010s, 2020s). The Stones already held that record for a newly-recorded hit in the singles chart across six different decades, established in September when Angry, the first single from Hackney Diamonds, reached No.34. It re-enters the chart this week at No.73 (5,377 sales)

Hackney Diamonds sold 27,371 copies on vinyl – the biggest week one total on that format for any act in 2023 so far. In fact, it’s the biggest seven-day total on the format since Taylor Swift’s Midnights moved 61,948 vinyl units and Arctic Monkeys’ The Car shifted 37,866 in the same week almost exactly a year ago. Hackney Diamonds’ vinyl total was not far off that of another big comeback album, ABBA’s Voyage, which had 29,891 vinyl sales (out of a total of 203,909) in its opening week in November 2021.

The Stones’ album was strong across both physical and streaming, with the rock veterans able to make the Top 20 most-streamed albums of the past week. CD sales were particularly impressive with a total of 36,179 units on that format.

[www.musicweek.com]

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 27, 2023 19:43

Idorh
After more than a week of listening, I like the album HD better and better. You keep hearing different sounds and voices.

that´s how it is supposed to be smiling smiley - and quite normal, if it is a good album.
i made the same experience this week.
Even "do you really, really, really....." is catching me by now. i am surprised.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 27, 2023 19:45

When is the US charts updated?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 27, 2023 19:54

JumpingKentFlash
When is the US charts updated?

Next Tuesday, but the Top 10 albums are updated on Sunday's after 4pm on Billboard's site.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 27, 2023 19:56

georgelicks
The Rolling Stones secure 14th Number 1 album with Hackney Diamonds

The Rolling Stones outsell the rest of the Top 5 to secure their landmark 14th Official Number 1 album with Hackney Diamonds this week.

Racking up 72,200 chart units in its first week, Hackney Diamonds enjoys the third biggest week of sales for an album of 2023 so far, behind Lewis Capaldi’s Broken by Desire to be Heavenly Sent, and Ed Sheeran’s -.

[www.officialcharts.com]

hot smiley eye popping smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 27, 2023 20:04

Hackney Diamonds Chart positions so far.
USA, Canada, etc.on Monday.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 27, 2023 20:23

UrbanSteel

"Old Lions Roar Again" smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 27, 2023 20:34

HardRiffin
UrbanSteel

"Old Lions Roar Again" smileys with beer

bet micks feeling pretty good right now and rightfully so

congratulations to him he deserves it

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: October 27, 2023 20:50

Do we know when the Stones had their first number one charting album? I would be curious to know if it could be the longest amount of time in-between number one albums for a group or performer.

Also, if I recall correctly, it was either Tina Turn or Aerosmith who had the longest amount of time between number one singles. That could be another possibility for the Stones.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 27, 2023 20:55

MisterO

Do we know when the Stones had their first number one charting album?

In UK, 1964. You can see their album chart positions here - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 27, 2023 21:17

They are and remain rock legends: The Rolling Stones have secured number one in the German charts with their new album “Hackney Diamonds”.
And that’s anything but close: “Hackney Diamonds” is the most successful album of the year in the first week of sales in this country and the most successful vinyl release of 2023.
In addition, “Hackney Diamonds” achieved gold status just one week after its release!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 27, 2023 21:33

Brilliant

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 27, 2023 22:20

MisterO
Do we know when the Stones had their first number one charting album? I would be curious to know if it could be the longest amount of time in-between number one albums for a group or performer.

Also, if I recall correctly, it was either Tina Turn or Aerosmith who had the longest amount of time between number one singles. That could be another possibility for the Stones.

That's increasingly difficult. Usually it's their lead single that has the best possibility of reaching the top. In fact I can't think of an example where it's not been the first single (when it's appeared on an album) where it would even have been a top 10 single.

I sort of thought SSoH might buck the trend but it didn't seem to make a sales splash.

Date: October 27, 2023 23:38

From Music Week:

"They’re only rock n’ roll (but we like them): Nearly 60 years after they first topped the album chart with their eponymous April 1964 debut album, and seven years after their last studio effort, Blue & Lonesome, reached the summit, the Rolling Stones return in triumph with 24th studio album, Hackney Diamonds, making a convincing debut in top spot.

With first week consumption of 72,204 units – the third highest of 2023, behind Lewis Capaldi’s Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent (95,882 sales) and Ed Sheeran’s Subtract (76,263), 22 and 24 weeks ago, respectively – Hackney Diamonds’ introductory tally included 36,179 CDs, 27,371 vinyl albums, 995 blu-ray, 61 cassettes, 4,373 digital downloads and 3,225 sales-equivalent streams. The Rolling Stones were last No.1 in September 2020, when the reissued and expanded 1973 album Goats Head Soup topped on sales of 13,107. Their last album of new recording, covers set Blue & Lonesome, sold 105,830 copies as it topped the chart in December 2016, and has to-date sales of 359,142 copies.

Their 12th No.1 album (14 if chart-topping reissues of Exile On Main Street and Goat’s Head Soup are included alongside their similarly high-achieving originals), Hackney Diamonds comprises 11 new songs penned by band members Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (three with producer Andrew Watt) and a cover of 1950 Muddy Waters song, Rolling Stone Blues.

Amazingly for a band with 55 hit singles, none of The Rolling Stones’ No.1 albums is a compilation, their tally comprising 1970 live album Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! and 11 studio albums. However, their 2002 compilation Forty Licks – which rebounds 86-75 (2,000 sales) this week for the Stones to complete the rare feat of topping and tailing the Top 75 simultaneously – is their biggest-selling Kantar era album, with to-date consumption of 1,161,019 units.

With Hackney Diamonds’ coronation, the Rolling Stones move into a four-way tie for most No.1 studio albums by an act, alongside The Beatles, Robbie Williams and Bruce Springsteen. Expect that fact to change rather Swift-ly (sic).

The only group to have new No.1 albums in six different decades (1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2010s, 2020s), the Rolling Stones currently comprise the aforementioned Jagger (80), Richards (79) and Ronnie Wood (76), although two tracks on the album feature drummer Charlie Watts, who died in 2021 aged 80, and one features the band’s original bass guitarist Bill Wyman (87), 34 years after his last contribution to the group’s oeuvre. Thus a trio with an average age of 78, they are the oldest group ever to top the chart, winning back a record they previously held from ABBA, who averaged 74 when they reached No.1 with Voyage in November 2021. The Stones already hold the record for the singles chart, established in September when Angry, the first single from Hackney Diamonds, reached No.34. It re-enters the chart this week at No.73 (5,377 sales).

Hackney Diamonds is also expected to be a big success overseas – it has already debuted at No.1 in Australia, Ireland and Germany, where it is their 11th No.1 and has higher (undisclosed) sales than any album in a week since local heroes Rammstein’s Time launched a year and a half ago."

01 72,204 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (36,179 CDs, 27,371 vinyl albums, 995 blu-ray, 61 cassettes, 4,373 downloads, 3,225 streaming units)
02 22,675 blink-182 - ONE MORE TIME...
03 12,588 Bombay Bicycle Club - My Big Day
04 9,018 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
05 7,999 Drake - For All the Dogs
06 6,554 The Weeknd - The Highlights
07 6,423 Taylor Swift - Midnights
08 5,975 Taylor Swift - 1989
09 5,859 Fleetwood Mac - 50 Years: Don't Stop
10 5,706 Taylor Swift - Folklore

12 5,093 Barry Can't Swim - When Will We Land?
15 4,757 Richard Hawley - Now Then: The Very Best of Richard Hawley
21 4,194 Sampha - Lahai
25 3,652 Pet Shop Boys - Relentless
28 3,513 NSG - AREA BOYZ
32 3,351 Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
35 3,290 Ren - Sick Boi
42 2,843 Cher - Christmas
44 2,607 Troye Sivan - Something to Give Each Other
48 2,548 Rival Sons - LIGHTBRINGER
64 2,143 Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
68 2,058 Apollo Junction - Here We Are
69 2,056 Within Temptation - Bleed Out
75 2,000 The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks

Date: October 27, 2023 23:43

UrbanSteel

The album debuted at #5 in Japan, it's #1 on the international chart but #5 om the main chart.
[www.oricon.co.jp]

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 28, 2023 00:56

I can only listen to four tracks: the two singles (both very good), Keith's track (quite good), and the blues (which is not bad).

All the other crap is Mick's solo record-like garbage.

I don't understand why it was necessary to release an album.

Of course I know, because Mick wanted it and old Keith agreed for the sake of peace.

(And I haven't even mentioned the rhythm section yet. Oh my God! Charlie!)

There are two real Rolling Stones quality tracks, the two singles.

But the campaign was in true Rolling Stones style, I liked it.

I think you have summed up the album here, spot on.
Now Doxa thinks he's the album gatekeeper to tell anyone who doesn't like the album that they have no place on iorr. Treacle will feel sorry for anyone who doesn't like the album etc.
It's a club and if you don't like the new album you ain't in it.

I wonder why Keith let Mick make this solo album under Rolling Stones product, just can't figure that one out yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 01:13 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 28, 2023 01:18

13 out of 15 European countries the album is No. 1, it's unfathomable. I wonder what the third single will be. It is also really a great album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2023 01:20

keefriffhards
I can only listen to four tracks: the two singles (both very good), Keith's track (quite good), and the blues (which is not bad).

Of course I know, because Mick wanted it and old Keith agreed for the sake of peace.

Now Doxa thinks he's the album gatekeeper to tell anyone who doesn't like the album that they have no place on iorr. Treacle will feel sorry for anyone who doesn't like the album etc.

I wonder why Keith let Mick make this solo album under Rolling Stones product, just can't figure that one out yet.

You could be on to something! I feel sorry for you right now - though it has nothing to do with the album!

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: October 28, 2023 01:33

I don't understand the whole "Mick solo album" stuff. I totally hear Keith's song writing style in Depending on you, Driving me too hard and Tell me straight. Songs that to me would easily fit on Main offender or Cross-eyed heart. His guitar work (and Ronnie's) is strong and prevalent thru out the album. But if that is your opinion that's cool with me. Just throwing in my 2 cents. Music and art are not one size fits all nor should they be.

Date: October 28, 2023 02:03

Hits Daily Double final prediction in the US is #4 with 91.000 units, that number could be different when Billboard updates this Sunday with the official information.

1 BLINK-182 | ONE MORE TIME...
COLUMBIA (SME) 118,659--

2 DRAKE | FOR ALL THE DOGS
OVO/REPUBLIC (UMG) 117,190-27%

3 BAD BUNNY | NADIE SABE LO QUE VA A PASAR MANANA
RIMAS (THE ORCHARD) 92,749-49%

4 THE ROLLING STONES | HACKNEY DIAMONDS
GEFFEN (UMG) 91,297--

5 MORGAN WALLEN | ONE THING AT A TIME
BIG LOUD/MERCURY/REPUBLIC (UMG) 69,014-1%

[m.hitsdailydouble.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 28, 2023 02:12

keefriffhards

And YOU wonder why you come over as a little troll on this board... Likely because you always follow the same pattern - as soon as Mick gets a little to much praise for your taste not only from the public, but in the case of HD also and in particular from Keith, you act like a jealous little boy and dismiss the respective project for reasons that have apparently little to nothing to do with the actual music but with your state of mind imo.

After receiving the usual flak here, you feel misunderstood, wallow in self-pity and flee the board for a (short) while, only to reappear at the earliest occasion, usually when someone else critcizes this or that and jump-start spreading your negativity again.

You're trapped in your own game which means that in the end, this band will never make you feel happy again. If I were you, I'd search for some serious outside help. Like Treacle, I'm beginning to feel sorry for you. In fact, not only sorry. "Worried about you" describes it probably better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 02:21 by retired_dog.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: October 28, 2023 02:18

In an interview Steve Jordan talked about his allegiance to the original recorded iconic drum hooks and restoring them back to the live renditions, (*extra points to Steve for research and reverence). He also acknowledged that Charlie's playing followed Keith's, and went on to say that he doesn't do that(!), choosing instead to drive the band and have the players follow him.....This surprised me that with his insight he would miss the historic importance of the dynamic established between Keith and Charlie that resulted in the band's inimitable "feel" that set them apart from other "rock" bands, (*subtract points for messing with magic?). The two new tracks Charlie played on literally jump out, (IMHO), with the drums sounding and the band feeling like classic Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 02:20 by rtr.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 28, 2023 02:48

Just finished listening to the Blu-ray. My sound system is cheap and my tinnitus severe, so the sound didn't amaze me. But it was cool to hear it with clearer bass and I could make out the piano better. The horns on Mess It Up are smooth as butter. Whole Wide World is a straight up winner in my book.

I appreciate Live By The Sword more and more, and it was a ton of fun to hear it tonight. Getting over the corniness of the lyrics, there is a lot of spirit and energy there. A bouncing feeling. I think the magic Charlie and Bill bring is audible. And I like the production on the whole album. The guitars are always on point. The keyboards subtle in the mix.

The packaging on the Blu-ray is really cool, and I'd recommend it to fans. Three art prints (album cover, diamond tongue, and Angry single), "Don't get Angry with me" bumper sticker, softcover book and slipcover with a lenticular picture on the front. I've only paged through the book a little but it looks nice and I look forward to reading it and to listening to the album again with the lyrics in hand.

I'm still not into four of the songs. But the other eight... *chef's kiss*. For me those songs range from really good to excellent. And some people out there love the four I don't like, and that just proves that there's something for everyone on this record. That's incredible. "Eclectic" is an easy word to throw around for any album that has a diverse range of musical genres. But this record is truly eclectic. I think overall it's high quality music, above and beyond what I expected. I'm going to burn an 8 song CD version for my car soon, and it will be sweet.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 28, 2023 02:56

I’m hooked. Have been listening straight Since it came out. It’s a strong comeback. A nurse I work with snuck a smoke with me in my car and said I can’t believe Jagger still sounds so good. Hands down my fav since Tattoo. Wasn’t crazy about Live by the Sword but it’s really grown on me and Mess it up is just plain fun. It’s no Rock and a Hard Place and that’s a good thing. I think Dreamy Skies may be my favorite.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 28, 2023 03:29

"Baseball isn't so different from Rock and Roll.

Mick Jagger gets you ready for Game 1 of the 2023 World Series"

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 03:45 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 28, 2023 05:52

Idorh
13 out of 15 European countries the album is No. 1, it's unfathomable. I wonder what the third single will be. It is also really a great album.

That caught my attention too, 13 out of 15 smiling smiley

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 28, 2023 07:02

HD at numbers 1 in the German album charts. Here's an article from NTV about this:
[www.n-tv.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-28 07:03 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 28, 2023 10:44

BlueTurns2Grey
HD at numbers 1 in the German album charts. Here's an article from NTV about this:
[www.n-tv.de]

Entertainment
"Hackney Diamonds" at No. 1 Rolling Stones can celebrate best album start of the year
28.10.2023, 00:16 Uhr Listen to article.
The Rolling Stones at the release party of their new album last Thursday in New York.

The Rolling Stones at the release party of their new album last Thursday in New York.

For the first time in many years they released a new album and reached number one in the German album charts within a short time. The Rolling Stones are thus not only the highest newcomer of the week - the British cult band has also managed the best start of the year so far with the album.

No other act has created as much buzz at the box office in 2023 as the Rolling Stones. With their new record "Hackney Diamonds", released a week ago, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood can be pleased about the current best album start of the year. This was revealed by the market research company GfK Entertainment.
Advertisement
The ntv Nachrichtenfernsehen GmbH is not responsible for the content
the-rolling-stones-hackney-diamonds-2023.jpg
Music 20.10.23
It's only Rock'n'Roll The Rolling Stones are still going strong.

The band last released a complete record with new songs in 2005 with the album "A Bigger Bang". "Hackney Diamonds" is also the band's first record after the death of drummer Charlie Watts. With the new release, the Rolling Stones prove that you can still rock hard even in old age.

According to a press release, it is also the best album launch since the release of Rammstein's "Zeit" last year and the best launch by an international act since ABBA's "Voyage" in November 2021. In addition, "Hackney Diamonds" is now the Stones' eleventh number one record.
Three more newcomers at the top

Three more newcomers can be found in the top five. Only a stone's throw away from the Rolling Stones, Blink-182 snatched the number two spot with their new record "One More Time ...", while Mark Forster also took bronze right off the bat with "Supervision", pushing Santiano ("Doggerland") down to number four. Within Temptation complete the line-up with "Bleed Out" in fifth place.
6437628.jpg
Entertainment 27.10.23
'I'm not a Cher fan' Cher takes a hard line with herself

Singer Cher released her new album at the same time as the Stones. With the Christmas album "Christmas" she could only secure the eleventh place so far.
In the singles category, rapper Reezy is the strongest newcomer at number three with "14 Passenger". "Si No Estás" by Iñigo Quintero fights its way to the throne, while Cassö, Raye & D-Block Europe slip to second place with "Prada". Sira, Bausa & Badchieff ("9 to 9") rank fourth and Tate McRae remains in fifth place with "Greedy".

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 28, 2023 11:08

A more honest down to earth review from a guy who actually knows this band/music and their potential.
[pitchfork.com]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 28, 2023 11:15

Cult band?!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home