Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 26, 2023 12:23

Fantastic U.K. sales!

GasLightStreet: haven’t you previously been critical of the Stones’ supposed ‘lack’ of sales in the U.K.?

How’s it doing on Billboad, again? winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 26, 2023 14:32

Witness
matxil
Witness
[...]
But since you argue with a formal concept, which I do not and even cannot do, I acknowledge that I am unqualified to give an answer to your argument. However, I have learnt something about what you meant. But I wonder how many posters and readers would use your defined concept or, alternatively, a more or less vague genre term like myself.

I have become a big fan of the definition of Swayed1967 (on page 18): pop = you sing it in the shower.

Difficult definition as well for me, as I don't sing in the shower. Then I would at any time be dependent on asking a Stonesfan, who does.

It's a good defination but for me 'the pop realm" starts to be a bit too large, and thereby losing its specific meaning. I mean, I would not only sing "Honky Tonk Women" and "Gimme Shelter" in the shower, but also Beethoven, Sibelius and flamenco stuff there, among others...grinning smiley

Well, I guess it is pop then, if there is a melody to follow...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-26 14:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 26, 2023 15:06

Doxa
Witness
matxil
Witness
[...]
But since you argue with a formal concept, which I do not and even cannot do, I acknowledge that I am unqualified to give an answer to your argument. However, I have learnt something about what you meant. But I wonder how many posters and readers would use your defined concept or, alternatively, a more or less vague genre term like myself.

I have become a big fan of the definition of Swayed1967 (on page 18): pop = you sing it in the shower.

Difficult definition as well for me, as I don't sing in the shower. Then I would at any time be dependent on asking a Stonesfan, who does.

It's a good defination but for me 'the pop realm" starts to be a bit too large, and thereby losing its specific meaning. I mean, I would not only sing "Honky Tonk Women" and "Gimme Shelter" in the shower, but also Beethoven, Sibelius and flamenco stuff there, among others...grinning smiley

- Doxa

I'm dying to hear your shower flamenco! Be careful with the castanets, they get all soaked up...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 26, 2023 15:52

MonkeyMan2000
Doxa
Witness
matxil
Witness
[...]

- Doxa

I'm dying to hear your shower flamenco! Be careful with the castanets, they get all soaked up...

Marvellous stuff!

Almost the only place, where I myself sang up to a couple of years ago, was on the terraces for the soccer club of my heart. But I don't know if I may gain any criteria from it.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 26, 2023 18:00

After more than a week of listening, I like the album HD better and better. You keep hearing different sounds and voices.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 26, 2023 19:39

Idorh
After more than a week of listening, I like the album HD better and better. You keep hearing different sounds and voices.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 26, 2023 21:52

Idorh

Same; a week in and it is a keeper. I love the sound, the groove, the feel. Very commercial, some pop hook chorus's or bridges, but they add so much to the whole.

Get Close and Tell Me Straight were the serious growers; a week ago they weren't quite up with the top tracks, both I love now.

It is an album full of great moments and highlights. Mess It Up was an early favourite, still is. What a track! What a wonderful single that will be smiling smiley

Date: October 26, 2023 22:12

thumbs up
I happen to be playing Messup right now.Its great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-26 22:14 by Idorh.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: October 27, 2023 02:41

HD is a fantastic album. I have listened to it several times now.
There isn't a weak song, at least for me. I just don't skip any of the songs.
Some I just repeat it, but I don't skip a single one.
First time I listened to it I got teary eyes of joy, then I started to smile, and then I started laughing out loud. What a thrill!!

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 27, 2023 04:16

I absolutely love this album! The cd is playing in my car when I’m driving. The vinyl is on non-stop when I’m home. I’m currently working out of town driving up the streaming numbers listening on Apple Music through my Beats Studio Wireless headphones. I can’t understand a single complaint or criticism I’ve heard about this album. “Too pop” means “the melodies are too catchy” or “too many hooks”. I think, since music really only exists for enjoyment, a catchy melody or strong hook is a good thing. Now, if they’d gone with computer generated beats and instruments, I would be disgusted, but this is really our favorite band playing the living hell out of some very well written songs! The guitar work is phenomenal throughout! I’m not sure what more you could ask for. I’ve read some things about a “pop sheen” or “gloss” on the sound. All I can determine that to mean is that there is a little phaser on the guitars on some of the songs. And it is well recorded and everything sounds really clear and crisp. As a guy who records music, I can assume that was always the goal, even when the technology wasn’t there to do it as well. The guitar sound on “Start Me Up” is far more processed for a pop sheen than anything on Hackney Diamonds.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 27, 2023 06:36

Big Al
Fantastic U.K. sales!

GasLightStreet: haven’t you previously been critical of the Stones’ supposed ‘lack’ of sales in the U.K.?

How’s it doing on Billboad, again? winking smiley

Yes I have!

I haven't looked.

Keep in mind it's been about the amount of people in the UK vs the US. It just seems like UK sales would be a lot higher.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 27, 2023 06:49

Depending On You or Driving Me Too Hard certainly make up for Streets Of Love.

I dig the X-Pensive Winos-esque backing vocals on Driving.

Tell Me Straight is really getting it. Such an excellent song. Damn. It's really good.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 27, 2023 07:11

After a solid week playing this on vinyl (best), CD and streaming on Apple Music to my buds as I work or in the car, I am just so genuinely thrilled with this release.

You know, I was going to say “At their age” or “At this stage of their career”, but truth be told, I would have been so happy with this album 50,40,30,20,10 or 5 years ago. It’s just a bloody, BLOODY good album. Full stop.

Apart from Mess it Up. Still don’t get that! I can’t say I like it just because Charlie’s on it, or because Mick sings it all so well (he does) or because it’s harks back to Miss You/Dance/Emotional Rescue. It’s still just a bad song.

Fantastic album though.

Rod

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-27 07:18 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 27, 2023 07:54

bitusa2012

Apart from Mess it Up. Still don’t get that! I can’t say I like it just because Charlie’s on it, or because Mick sings it all so well (he does) or because it’s harks back to Miss You/Dance/Emotional Rescue. It’s still just a bad song.

I think Mess it up is the best song on the album. Deserves to be the 3rd single.
The Spotify streaming counts also speak for the song, beside Angry and SSOH it's the most streamed from the album

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 27, 2023 07:57

StonedRambler
bitusa2012

I think Mess it up is the best song on the album. Deserves to be the 3rd single.
The Spotify streaming counts also speak for the song, beside Angry and SSOH it's the most streamed from the album

Great that everyone’s tastes are different. Boring otherwise! To me though Mess it Up sounds like 3 songs cut and paste together. None of them terribly good to me!!

Rod

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 27, 2023 08:48

bitusa2012
StonedRambler
bitusa2012

Great that everyone’s tastes are different. Boring otherwise! To me though Mess it Up sounds like 3 songs cut and paste together. None of them terribly good to me!!

This whole album is awesome...just listening to it on a youtube atmos rip, stunning. Even songs I was nonplussed about, which were only a couple sound fantastic.

Since 1980, for me this is the album that is 'easiest to like' after Tattoo You. I love Undercover, took me awhile to get into it completely. But after that all the albums, maybe Steel Wheels aside were more difficult to get into and even still there are always cuts that are 'skippable'. On some albums more than others (hello Dirty Work!).

Not so with Hackney Diamonds. Just a stunner. And Mess It Up is a joy, definitely the next single. Just wish I could get an actual order get delivered so I can listen through my system!

Date: October 27, 2023 10:32

nonfilter
I absolutely love this album! The cd is playing in my car when I’m driving. The vinyl is on non-stop when I’m home. I’m currently working out of town driving up the streaming numbers listening on Apple Music through my Beats Studio Wireless headphones. I can’t understand a single complaint or criticism I’ve heard about this album. “Too pop” means “the melodies are too catchy” or “too many hooks”. I think, since music really only exists for enjoyment, a catchy melody or strong hook is a good thing. Now, if they’d gone with computer generated beats and instruments, I would be disgusted, but this is really our favorite band playing the living hell out of some very well written songs! The guitar work is phenomenal throughout! I’m not sure what more you could ask for. I’ve read some things about a “pop sheen” or “gloss” on the sound. All I can determine that to mean is that there is a little phaser on the guitars on some of the songs. And it is well recorded and everything sounds really clear and crisp. As a guy who records music, I can assume that was always the goal, even when the technology wasn’t there to do it as well. The guitar sound on “Start Me Up” is far more processed for a pop sheen than anything on Hackney Diamonds.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 27, 2023 11:07

bitusa2012
StonedRambler
bitusa2012

That's what I find interesting about it. It's not the usual verse/chorus structure or blues chord scheme we heard on thousands of Stones numbers but it actually has a great arc of suspense. And it's the most catchy Stones tune in a long time. It's stuck in my head for a week now ("you think I mess it up, mess it up, mess it up all for you"). Yes, it's very pop like but it's fantastic at what it is. I think it has lots of potential as the 3rd single to be actually played on pop radio stations.

But I gotta say I also like Miss You, while for some people here that song is called the "toilet break".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-27 11:08 by StonedRambler.

Date: October 27, 2023 11:14

<it actually has a great arc of suspense>

Well said! I agree totally thumbs up

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 27, 2023 13:10

nonfilter

thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 27, 2023 13:15

Afer numerous listens I haven't skipped a track yet...must be a good sign.

I get the impression with this album that, despite Charlie's sad absence from most of it, they're sounding like the Rolling Stones because they are the Rolling Stones ....and not because they're trying to .

Rolling Stone Deutschland
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 22, 2023 20:35

This German October 2023 edition has a rather tasty cover of the boys.Anybody got links to where I might pick up a late copy?Thanks

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine 11-2023 (German edition)
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 22, 2023 20:45

Rolling Stone Magazine (German edition) - 11-2023:

Print edition: [www.Musik-Magazine.de] , Digital e-paper: [www.United-Kiosk.de] , [en.iKiosk.de] - 27-Oct-2023 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 21:05 by Irix.

Re: Rolling Stone Deutschland
Date: October 22, 2023 20:47

That’s the one!
Wanting a copy!

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: October 22, 2023 20:58

It's the November edition actually. Will be on sale end of next week. The coverphoto would have been a great albumcover!

Date: October 22, 2023 21:02

Anybody know if they ship to UK?

Date: October 22, 2023 21:15

stargroover

Anybody know if they ship to UK?

Their English website says: "Shipping EU/Switzerland/worldwide" . If you wanna contact them, the eMail-address is at the bottom of their website - [www.Musik-Magazine.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 21:20 by Irix.

Date: October 22, 2023 21:33

A big thanks Irix

Date: October 27, 2023 11:25

Available now:

ePaper (PDF) - [www.United-Kiosk.de] , [en.iKiosk.de] .

Date: October 27, 2023 11:40

"Rolling Stones, the big interview: An audience with the still greatest rock band in the world: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood talk about old myths and new challenges, the death of Charlie Watts and the long road to their new album 'Hackney Diamonds'."

[www.RollingStone.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-27 14:10 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home