Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 30, 2023 22:12

phd27
Angry delivers what an old fan could hope. My first hearing of SSOF left me a little puzzled. I did not know what to think. The second hearing changed that. It is a true masterpiece. In the very tradition of Stones blues. Recording is topnotch. Mick’s voice is powerful (whatever technics supports it), the horns lines is simply magic. One regret tho: Charlie is missing.

Wait until you play it 10 times, the first 2 minutes start to grate on the nerves. winking smiley
Masterpiece to annoying in 10 plays.

Posted by: phd27 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 22:32

This will be done tomorrow morning. And I’ll revert to u.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 30, 2023 22:32

keefriffhards
phd27
Angry delivers what an old fan could hope. My first hearing of SSOF left me a little puzzled. I did not know what to think. The second hearing changed that. It is a true masterpiece. In the very tradition of Stones blues. Recording is topnotch. Mick’s voice is powerful (whatever technics supports it), the horns lines is simply magic. One regret tho: Charlie is missing.

Wait until you play it 10 times, the first 2 minutes start to grate on the nerves. winking smiley
Masterpiece to annoying in 10 plays.

"Mick is the best frontman any band could hope for."
Keith Richards, 2023

But you, you just can't be happy with The Rolling Stones, right?

"If you can't get over the fact that Mick Jagger is the lead singer of the Rolling Stones, then this band is probably not for you and you'd be better off sticking with the Winos instead."
retired_dog, 2023

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 30, 2023 22:52

Stop taking the bait there Retired_dog,he’s winding you up.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 30, 2023 22:54

Let’s hope this goes high in the charts

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: September 30, 2023 23:09

So, generally speaking, this track has been very well received by the Stones faithful. Is anyone here in tune with the Gaga fanbase enough to know what her hardcore fans think of the track?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 30, 2023 23:25

downagain
So, generally speaking, this track has been very well received by the Stones faithful. Is anyone here in tune with the Gaga fanbase enough to know what her hardcore fans think of the track?

I just poked my nose into her Facebook page - 56 million followers. A quick scan and it’s really positive. Should give the song and album a massive boost.

Knowing next to nothing about the business, do / how do people like GaGa, Stevie Wonder and McCartney get paid for guesting on songs?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 30, 2023 23:31

stargroover
Stop taking the bait there Retired_dog,he’s winding you up.

I'm aware that he is a troll or whatever poor soul, stargroover.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 30, 2023 23:38

keefriffhards
TheBlockbuster
keefriffhards
Mick's voice is actually manufactured in the studio, he doesn't sound anything like the same live.

There's a big difference between performing a 2 hour concert and recording in the studio.

Mick probably records a few lines and then rests for half an hour before singing the next part.

In concert he has to be very conservative and careful to not lose his voice. If he were to belt out like in the studio his voice would be shot after the first few songs.

For example Start Me Up has been played at the Superbowl half time, he only sang 3 songs, listen to the studio version in comparison, he can't even attempt to sing anything like the same. Jumping Jack Flash the same Satisfaction the same, etc etc.

Or in the 81 tour when SMU first came out, listen to live takes, it's a studio inhanced vocal he simply can't re-produce in any setting live.
I've just listened to an MTV awards when he sang it with the Stones, same again plus Love Is Strong sounds completely flat.

Sorry but I really can’t take you serious. There’s no way.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 1, 2023 01:12

stargroover

It's not going to chart well since the physical copies only come out in 2 weeks. I don't understand why they rushed it, with these streaming numbers and the physical copies at the same time they would almost certainly have a Top 20 in UK and a sure entry into Billboard's Hot 100, now those numbers are divided and the impact is much less.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: October 1, 2023 01:38

Thanks again.

"Come On" late summer '63 Radio Lux was the first kick.
Nothing else to talk about in the schoolyard...

Now 60 years later "Sweet Sounds....."

"Let the old still belive that they're young, YEA"

You make a grown man cry - OF HAPPINES

All the Best!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 1, 2023 01:57

hot smiley

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 1, 2023 02:06

This song is really blowing me away! Soul! I’m not interested in any critiques of how high Mick’s voice is in the mix, how some other female could’ve done it better than Gaga, how Steve Jordan didn’t drum it as good as Charlie would have…this is The Rolling Stones right now and they sound as powerful and spine chilling as they’ve ever sounded! I don’t hear guitars buried in the mix, I hear beautiful, unique guitar parts from Keith and Ronnie that subtly fit the song then get heavier as the song builds to its climax! I don’t hear an imitation of The Black Crowes. I hear my favorite band (and The Black Crowes’s favorite band, obviously) doing what they can instinctively do better than any imitator could ever do! I don’t hear a new version of an Otis Redding cover off of a bootleg of outtakes from the last couple of decades. I hear my favorite band harnessing the power and soul of one of their favorite styles of music and doing it in a way that only they could ever do it! That’s why they are so good on Otis Redding covers. It is why they are so good on Chuck Berry covers. If embracing a particular beat and style, and creating a groove and melody around that beat and style, and writing lyrics to that melody and recording that combination of chords, melody, and lyrics very loosely with great passion means you are just remaking another song, then, hardly anyone has ever written an original song.

This song is truly glorious! Gaga does an amazing job! She obviously totally loses herself in the performance! She has NEVER sang like this before! She does flub a couple of words, and that makes it sooooooo much better in this age of “perfect” autotuned vocals. This is a “real” recording! She has said as much in an interview that I can’t re-find to quote. She was talking about how cutting a track with the whole band playing live is an anomaly in this day and age. Steve isn’t Charlie. Nobody is. But Charlie is no longer available to do what he did better than anyone ever, so Steve is doing an amazing job allowing Mick and Keith to continue doing what they can do better than any imitators could ever get close to doing! And Steve is quite amazing himself! I honestly hated the idea of Andrew Watt producing when I first heard about it. Then I saw the credits from ASCAP showing he was a cowriter on 3 songs and became REALLY discouraged. But, these first two singles have made a believer out of me. He must be a true fan, who really knows their real talents, the things they can do that give you chills, the things that no other band can even come close to doing, and had the balls to tell them! I’ve read in different places that either Keith or Andrew played bass on this song. If it is Keith, it is abnormally restrained for him, but it fits the song well. If it is Andy, then my compliments Mr. Watt. It fits the song well.

I won’t even get started on Stevie Wonder! Best choice available today! Nicky and Billy aren’t available, so who would’ve thought of calling this guy??? I’m ecstatic that they did! He is absolutely BRILLIANT!! Back to the guitar work, at first listen, in my car, the second it was released on Spotify, I had a little trouble picking out what the guitars were playing. Each listen gave me more insight. Then, I got home and listened on better speakers and was brought to my knees by the guitar exchanges! This is true Keith and Ronnie interplay at its best! Keith is even doing the subtle one string lead lines, then hitting that razor sharp hard chord on the beat like he did in his absolute prime. Breathtaking stuff to say the least! Ronnie is playing perfect soul licks throughout, but my favorite part is when he almost goes into a different key to hit a couple of Berryesque double stops where they wouldn’t even seem to fit. This is the beauty of a living breathing band recording a song as a band.

And Mick Jagger. He is timeless. This is Mick doing what he was born to do. His delivery is sublime and flawless. Nobody can sing like this. Never could before, and never will. This isn’t Mick chasing pop music trends. It isn’t Mick trying to sound current. This is just Mick Jagger. And it is perfect. It’s everything he ever should be. Nobody can adlib lyrics like Mick Jagger when they run out of words on their lyric sheet. I loved it from the very beginning, but he totally slaughtered me when he hit the falsetto in the call and response with Gaga toward the end.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. This is a very special moment in time. Don’t miss it by focusing on or arguing about tiny details that you think could have been done in a slightly different way to improve things minimally. This is our favorite band delivering greatness.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 1, 2023 02:56

nonfilter
This song is really blowing me away! Soul! I’m not interested in any critiques of how high Mick’s voice is in the mix, how some other female could’ve done it better than Gaga, how Steve Jordan didn’t drum it as good as Charlie would have…this is The Rolling Stones right now and they sound as powerful and spine chilling as they’ve ever sounded! I don’t hear guitars buried in the mix, I hear beautiful, unique guitar parts from Keith and Ronnie that subtly fit the song then get heavier as the song builds to its climax! I don’t hear an imitation of The Black Crowes. I hear my favorite band (and The Black Crowes’s favorite band, obviously) doing what they can instinctively do better than any imitator could ever do! I don’t hear a new version of an Otis Redding cover off of a bootleg of outtakes from the last couple of decades. I hear my favorite band harnessing the power and soul of one of their favorite styles of music and doing it in a way that only they could ever do it! That’s why they are so good on Otis Redding covers. It is why they are so good on Chuck Berry covers. If embracing a particular beat and style, and creating a groove and melody around that beat and style, and writing lyrics to that melody and recording that combination of chords, melody, and lyrics very loosely with great passion means you are just remaking another song, then, hardly anyone has ever written an original song.

This song is truly glorious! Gaga does an amazing job! She obviously totally loses herself in the performance! She has NEVER sang like this before! She does flub a couple of words, and that makes it sooooooo much better in this age of “perfect” autotuned vocals. This is a “real” recording! She has said as much in an interview that I can’t re-find to quote. She was talking about how cutting a track with the whole band playing live is an anomaly in this day and age. Steve isn’t Charlie. Nobody is. But Charlie is no longer available to do what he did better than anyone ever, so Steve is doing an amazing job allowing Mick and Keith to continue doing what they can do better than any imitators could ever get close to doing! And Steve is quite amazing himself! I honestly hated the idea of Andrew Watt producing when I first heard about it. Then I saw the credits from ASCAP showing he was a cowriter on 3 songs and became REALLY discouraged. But, these first two singles have made a believer out of me. He must be a true fan, who really knows their real talents, the things they can do that give you chills, the things that no other band can even come close to doing, and had the balls to tell them! I’ve read in different places that either Keith or Andrew played bass on this song. If it is Keith, it is abnormally restrained for him, but it fits the song well. If it is Andy, then my compliments Mr. Watt. It fits the song well.

I won’t even get started on Stevie Wonder! Best choice available today! Nicky and Billy aren’t available, so who would’ve thought of calling this guy??? I’m ecstatic that they did! He is absolutely BRILLIANT!! Back to the guitar work, at first listen, in my car, the second it was released on Spotify, I had a little trouble picking out what the guitars were playing. Each listen gave me more insight. Then, I got home and listened on better speakers and was brought to my knees by the guitar exchanges! This is true Keith and Ronnie interplay at its best! Keith is even doing the subtle one string lead lines, then hitting that razor sharp hard chord on the beat like he did in his absolute prime. Breathtaking stuff to say the least! Ronnie is playing perfect soul licks throughout, but my favorite part is when he almost goes into a different key to hit a couple of Berryesque double stops where they wouldn’t even seem to fit. This is the beauty of a living breathing band recording a song as a band.

And Mick Jagger. He is timeless. This is Mick doing what he was born to do. His delivery is sublime and flawless. Nobody can sing like this. Never could before, and never will. This isn’t Mick chasing pop music trends. It isn’t Mick trying to sound current. This is just Mick Jagger. And it is perfect. It’s everything he ever should be. Nobody can adlib lyrics like Mick Jagger when they run out of words on their lyric sheet. I loved it from the very beginning, but he totally slaughtered me when he hit the falsetto in the call and response with Gaga toward the end.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. This is a very special moment in time. Don’t miss it by focusing on or arguing about tiny details that you think could have been done in a slightly different way to improve things minimally. This is our favorite band delivering greatness.

I’m convinced that if the band didn’t tell people it was Lady Gaga, then the people who hate her contribution would rave about her performance, likewise if they said Charlie played on this song and not Steve, the same people who complain about Steve probably wouldn’t even notice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-01 02:57 by CamRS.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 1, 2023 03:43

Nonfilter - Great post I wholeheartedly agree with!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 1, 2023 03:49

I 100% agree. Amazing Stones track.
Play it and then play Angry and together they both sound special.
The Stones haven't released 2 tracks back to back this good in a very long time.
Play it Loud!!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 1, 2023 05:03

Great song. Stax sound.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 1, 2023 05:26

hot stuff
I 100% agree. Amazing Stones track.
Play it and then play Angry and together they both sound special.
The Stones haven't released 2 tracks back to back this good in a very long time.
Play it Loud!!

I agree! I could write just as much about my love for “Angry”! I cannot wait to hear the rest of this album!

Date: October 1, 2023 09:41

georgelicks
stargroover

It's not going to chart well since the physical copies only come out in 2 weeks. I don't understand why they rushed it, with these streaming numbers and the physical copies at the same time they would almost certainly have a Top 20 in UK and a sure entry into Billboard's Hot 100, now those numbers are divided and the impact is much less.

Unfortunately, it was the same with Angry in many countries. The physical product came out September 15.

Date: October 1, 2023 09:48

nonfilter

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2023 09:55

A great read, nonfilter. Thank you.

- Doxa

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: October 1, 2023 09:56

I haven't heard the track yet (and I won't for another 2 weeks) but its reception here as well as in the media outside of this little bubble is overwhelmingly positive. What I don't get is that some fans are worried about the single's projected charts-performance. With the way charts are being compiled nowadays they're completely meaningless. Have been for years. Streaming, my ass.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2023 10:15

keefriffhards
TheBlockbuster
keefriffhards
Mick's voice is actually manufactured in the studio, he doesn't sound anything like the same live.

There's a big difference between performing a 2 hour concert and recording in the studio.

Mick probably records a few lines and then rests for half an hour before singing the next part.

In concert he has to be very conservative and careful to not lose his voice. If he were to belt out like in the studio his voice would be shot after the first few songs.

For example Start Me Up has been played at the Superbowl half time, he only sang 3 songs, listen to the studio version in comparison, he can't even attempt to sing anything like the same. Jumping Jack Flash the same Satisfaction the same, etc etc.

Or in the 81 tour when SMU first came out, listen to live takes, it's a studio inhanced vocal he simply can't re-produce in any setting live.
I've just listened to an MTV awards when he sang it with the Stones, same again plus Love Is Strong sounds completely flat.

With that logic also all the guitar parts in the original "Jumping Jack Flash" are 'manufactured' because if we listen what Keith and Ronnie play on stage sounds different. The same goes for "Start Me Up", especially if we listen the live version of 1981/82. Even the bloody slow tempo in the original must be 'manufactured'. The original solo of "Sympathy", the riff of "Satisfaction" - all must be 'manufactured', since Keith seemingly is never able to nail them exactly the same way live.

And hey - go to see Dylan and one will notice that all those original studio versions must be 'manufactured'. The voice is totally different!

Funny that some people do not understand the differences between studio recording and live performance. (A pretty weak argument to bash Jagger, but seemingly anything goes).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-01 10:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 1, 2023 10:15

DandelionPowderman
nonfilter

thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: October 1, 2023 10:57

Amazing track. Mick's voice is just out of this world. The guy is 80! Everything was simply perfect and I'm just happy my favourite band still has it in them! I wish Charlie was there but he's smiling from above listening to it. He's definitely the contributor. Loved every second of this song and enjoyed every bit of the sound.
Can not believe some posters on here keep pouring their old anti-Jagger mantra about this song. Today is not your day, stfu and don't spoil the joy.

Posted by: gcarneiro ()
Date: October 1, 2023 11:26

nonfilter

Preach on, brother! I'm developing a whole relationship with 'em songs. First, Angry. Now, Sweet Sounds of Heaven. On first listens, I thought they were good, solid stuff, but had been hardly moved but then something happened... I started humming 'em to myself, picking up on 'em randomly, singing some notes and lines out of nowhere in the middle of the day. Truth is I can't get 'em out of my mind now. There's some time now since I've had such an emotional reaction to music. I'm totally addicted and excited about all that jazz. Real, powerful growers, that's what they are, slowly but tightly wrapping around ya. And, boy, do they got a hold on ya! God bless The Rolling Stones! Long live 'em boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-01 11:26 by gcarneiro.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 1, 2023 11:59

The title stands for the whole song. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven is a heavenly masterpiece. I can sit down and listen to it endlessly. What a great gift after 60 years of Rolling Stones history. All I can say to my favourite band is 'thank you for the music'.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 12:05

DeeGee
Goosebumps and tears. Simultaneously
What a rare occasion.

What a stunner!
Love it

Same for me!

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 1, 2023 12:14

Prouder than ever to be a stones fan right now!

Awesome song

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 1, 2023 12:17

nonfilter

Amen.

Always the dissatisfaction with how a song was created, here The Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and Andrew Watt deliver a masterful musical performance.
This song has much more power than the track I've Got Dreams to Remember on Fully Finished Outtakes.
For God's sake, be happy that you can hear Sweet Sounds Of Heaven and that after 60 years of making music.
All those complaining people who, since the Undercover period, stood still in the period 1963-1981 and only talk about everything after that time about how good it was 40 years ago, well, find another band to be a fan of.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home