Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
“What If Mick Jagger Doesn’t Like Your Mix?” (with monitor engineer Robert Bull)
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 26, 2023 16:10

The YouTube algo is going to feed this to everyone anyway, but in case you miss it, here’s a revealing clip about what it’s like to mix a show for the Stones:

[youtu.be]

Apparently, Mick will look at audience clips on YouTube, and he doesn’t always like what he heard. There’s more. Worth a watch.

Re: “What If Mick Jagger Doesn’t Like Your Mix?” (with monitor engineer Robert Bull)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2023 16:33

MelBelli
The YouTube algo is going to feed this to everyone anyway, but in case you miss it, here’s a revealing clip about what it’s like to mix a show for the Stones:

[youtu.be]

Apparently, Mick will look at audience clips on YouTube, and he doesn’t always like what he heard. There’s more. Worth a watch.

fascinating! great find, thanks for that.

Re: “What If Mick Jagger Doesn’t Like Your Mix?” (with monitor engineer Robert Bull)
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 26, 2023 16:57

Wow the impressions of Mick were kind of unprofessional and unnecessary.

Date: August 26, 2023 17:04

WorriedAboutYou
Wow the impressions of Mick were kind of unprofessional and unnecessary.

Yeah that's true. And knowing Mick watches YouTube videos, you'd wonder whether "Bull" is safe in knowing he's already 'off' the next tour?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 26, 2023 17:28

Hearing that Mick doesn't want to hear Keith in his monitor mix isn't a shock. He's been tuned to Chuck for decades. It's also what I dislike about several of the From the Archives mixes. Keith seems mixed down to the point where it can only be deliberate.

Date: August 26, 2023 17:31

Rocky Dijon
Hearing that Mick doesn't want to hear Keith in his monitor mix isn't a shock. He's been tuned to Chuck for decades. It's also what I dislike about several of the From the Archives mixes. Keith seems mixed down to the point where it can only be deliberate.

The workaround that Bull contrived is kind of ingenious. When it’s necessary for Mick to cue off of Keith’s guitar, he temporarily pans it over to the other side to sort of fool Mick into thinking it’s Ronnie!

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 26, 2023 17:41

It,s very understandable that Jagger doesent want to hear Richards.Everything he is playing is totally wrong.He isn,t able to play that simple riff anymore.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 26, 2023 17:44

Keith's guitar is so loud onstage, Mick can not escape it.

Date: August 26, 2023 17:44

harlem shuffle
It,s very understandable that Jagger doesent want to hear Richards.Everything he is playing is totally wrong.He isn,t able to play that simple riff anymore.

“Totally wrong” overstates things just a tad.

But he is erratic. We all know that and hear it. And it’s not hard to imagine a singer being thrown off or just plain irritated.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2023 21:08

Mick can sometimes come off as a dictator on a major power trip - you can sometimes sense it and see it on stage especially in the last two decades.
But guess he can't be blamed too much as he, along with Chuck Leavell, wants to keep the ship sailing as smooth as possible.
Mick's the conductor, and he's the boss, and without his direction, imagine how many shipwrecks there would be...

Date: August 26, 2023 21:33

Hairball
Mick can sometimes come off as a dictator on a major power trip - you can sometimes sense it and see it on stage especially in the last two decades.
But guess he can't be blamed too much as he, along with Chuck Leavell, wants to keep the ship sailing as smooth as possible.
Mick's the conductor, and he's the boss, and without his direction, imagine how many shipwrecks there would be...

It's a multimillion dollar multidecade enterprise. He's a lot nicer than a lot of CEOs I'm sure, thinking of Elon Musk or Steve Jobs...it requires a certain personality to make it happen.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2023 00:45

MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

The workaround that Bull contrived is kind of ingenious. When it’s necessary for Mick to cue off of Keith’s guitar, he temporarily pans it over to the other side to sort of fool Mick into thinking it’s Ronnie!

So Mick doesn't know who plays what parts ? Seems odd but I suppose anything's possible in that little "Mom & Pop shop" ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 27, 2023 07:35

Hairball

Yet alone putting up with - and working through - Keith's destruction of songs.

I will not provide examples. There's no need to.

Date: August 27, 2023 07:41

gotdablouse
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

So Mick doesn't know who plays what parts ? Seems odd but I suppose anything's possible in that little "Mom & Pop shop" ;-)

"...which album is it from, Bill? He doesn't know, he doesn't know. BEGGARS BANQUET someone said."

- Mick, FLASHPOINT, Factory Girl

"We're gonna do this one for you from BLACK AND BLUE it's called 'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo'."

- Mick, New Orleans, VOODOO LOUNGE tour, October 10, 1994

Date: August 27, 2023 17:17

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

"...which album is it from, Bill? He doesn't know, he doesn't know. BEGGARS BANQUET someone said."

"We're gonna do this one for you from BLACK AND BLUE it's called 'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo'."

In your first example, I'd always thought that was just MJ playing around.

In your second example...holy crap! I know the catalogue better than Mick?

Date: August 28, 2023 02:17

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

A friend and I went to the 1994 New Orleans show and we turned to each other after he said that and just started laughing so hard. How could he not know that!!!???

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 28, 2023 03:24

Mick on the intro to Factory Girl on Flashpoint, asked Bill what album it was and Bill said he didn’t know

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 28, 2023 04:19

A highlight of Mick's first ever tour was sharing the bill with Bo Diddley. 31 years later, Bo shared the stage with them to play his classic "Who Do You Love." The pay-per-view special was even titled HOODOO U VOODOO. 18 years later, they played the song with The Black Keys for the 50 AND COUNTING pay-per-view special. Mick told the audience it was a song he didn't think he'd ever done before.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 28, 2023 06:02

Steve Lillywhite on producing Dirty Work is worth a listen too :

Starts at about 32 min in the video.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: August 28, 2023 07:18

Keith's been mixed down on lots of live stuff (all the guitars actually) and it ruins the Stones sound like on the dvd set from 2002 or so and also Four Flicks. The recent Wiltern mix was amazing though. But the lower mix ruined it so much that when the Stones came to my city 2006, I wasn't even going to go. I was shocked how great they sounded when I saw them...with Keith's guitar loud and thankfully clear. He was still playing good then, but it was obvious that he had lost a step after the coconut tree incident. But anyway, Keith seems to be getting lower in the mix nowadays. I didn't know Mick hates hearing him though. Makes sense now. I just wonder how they even continue with this pettiness.

Date: August 28, 2023 11:01

I have never thought Keith was mixed low on Four Flicks. Try some of the newer Vault-releases smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-29 19:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 29, 2023 18:32

kowalski
Steve Lillywhite on producing Dirty Work is worth a listen too :

Starts at about 32 min in the video.

really great find, thanks for sharing that. That "f*cking disco album"...hilarious!

Date: August 31, 2023 02:44

Go to 45:16 (end of Out Of Tears) and you'll hear Mick talk about BLACK AND BLUE.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 31, 2023 12:39

MelBelli
harlem shuffle

“Totally wrong” overstates things just a tad.

But he is erratic. We all know that and hear it. And it’s not hard to imagine a singer being thrown off or just plain irritated.

It's likely not a case of whether Keith plays well or badly...it's simply that Mick needs the underlying timing cues and beat. Keith, even at his historical best, plays unpredictably around the timing .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-31 12:41 by Spud.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 31, 2023 13:01

A few years ago i think Keith play terrific,on the solos,he alsow played wery well.But now he is very limited because of his fingers.Let Ron play the solos,and Keith the rythm

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 31, 2023 13:12

Rocky Dijon

Keith is playing through a high-powered Tweed Twin on full throttle. That's 112 dB measured from about 2 meters. Instead of having Keith on your monitor it's better advise to wear ear plugs.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 31, 2023 13:38

I'm sure Pierre once commented that the volume on the Twin was only about 4 ...

Which makes sense for that "clean with a bit of hair on it" sound

But that's still bloody loud !

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 31, 2023 14:10

Spud
I'm sure Pierre once commented that the volume on the Twin was only about 4 ...

Which makes sense for that "clean with a bit of hair on it" sound

But that's still bloody loud !

A Tweed amp doesn't get louder after 3, it only overdrives more. The sweet spot is around 6, that's where you get this 3D overdrive sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 31, 2023 15:12

A singer decides what he wants to hear on his monitor. It's not up to the audience or the monitor engineer to decide which instruments to add or subtract from the lead vocalist's monitor mix. As a singer I usually don't want any guitars on my vocal monitor mix because the guitars are already loud enough and clearly audible on stage. That doesn't mean I dislike what the guitarplayers are playing.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 31, 2023 21:12

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

A friend and I went to the 1994 New Orleans show and we turned to each other after he said that and just started laughing so hard. How could he not know that!!!???

I saw an interview where he explained a bit, you're touring for one album while working on the next and it all sort of blends together and sometimes they forget what songs are on which.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home