Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: “What If Mick Jagger Doesn’t Like Your Mix?” (with monitor engineer Robert Bull)
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 1, 2023 14:30

kovach
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
Hearing that Mick doesn't want to hear Keith in his monitor mix isn't a shock. He's been tuned to Chuck for decades. It's also what I dislike about several of the From the Archives mixes. Keith seems mixed down to the point where it can only be deliberate.

The workaround that Bull contrived is kind of ingenious. When it’s necessary for Mick to cue off of Keith’s guitar, he temporarily pans it over to the other side to sort of fool Mick into thinking it’s Ronnie!

So Mick doesn't know who plays what parts ? Seems odd but I suppose anything's possible in that little "Mom & Pop shop" ;-)

"...which album is it from, Bill? He doesn't know, he doesn't know. BEGGARS BANQUET someone said."

- Mick, FLASHPOINT, Factory Girl

"We're gonna do this one for you from BLACK AND BLUE it's called 'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo'."

- Mick, New Orleans, VOODOO LOUNGE tour, October 10, 1994

In your first example, I'd always thought that was just MJ playing around.

In your second example...holy crap! I know the catalogue better than Mick?

A friend and I went to the 1994 New Orleans show and we turned to each other after he said that and just started laughing so hard. How could he not know that!!!???

I saw an interview where he explained a bit, you're touring for one album while working on the next and it all sort of blends together and sometimes they forget what songs are on which.

Yeah. I think for creative artists it is pretty natural to mix up things, especially if one has not much desire to look back, as Mick typically is famous for. We probably here are better Stones archeologists than the band itself, since we study them and, for example, know all their recordings by heart. You know, which track is the number three on B-side of BLACK AND BLUE, and so on. But for them the final product is just the outcome of a long process, and they probably recall more of the process - the cirmustances, the creation of singular songs, etc. - than the final result of it. And those processes might lap over. For example, Mick has said that he treats BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED belonging together, since both arrived from similar sessions and circumstances at the time. (Actually it would be interesting to know how much they nowadays recall of the final selection of the songs for their old albums, like deciding the track order, etc. I could easily imagine that this part of the process might be most easily forgotten, no matter how important that once was. You know, less specific details to recall.)

But then again, I believe Mick is mostly having fun, and keeping a certain image on when misremembering things...

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home