Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20, 2023
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 17, 2023 16:12

I love Sweet Sounds of Heaven, I like the track with Bill and Charlie, but for now really underwhelmed with all the other tracks. I know it always takes a while before I like new Stones material, but for now I just can't get over Jagger's nasal and gnarly voice, and I can't get through his mannerisms and over-pronunciation.

Let's hope it grows on me.

Mathijs

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 17, 2023 16:13

I am 76, I think that there are Stones fan from over 75 and from very young maybe even around 10. Now my thought when I read the articles and comments worldwide, taking the middle ground is that the largest number are between 35 and 65 years old. It just strikes me that the comparison generally of this album is with the 70s and 80s. My era is from as far back as 1963. Technology then was in its infancy compared to now. But Mick's voice and the simplicity and energy compared to their first album The Rolling Stones are pretty much on par. That's my opinion and feeling. No matter how we spin and turn it it is beyond comprehension that we can still experience this now from 80-year-olds, Bill is even towards 90. We should be very happy about this. I enjoy with life. especially that another 2nd album is almost finished.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:00

"unswinging"

It's not Watt's fault that Charlie's gone...but yes, there is huge contrast between the groovy and swingy MIU and LBTS and tracks like WWW where Jordan thumps his way around and sounds like he's playing to a click track (incredibly Sexton thought that was "great drumming"). It's really odd that Charlie would have liked that kind of playing...can't be compared of course but it's a bit like when GnR went from Adler to Sorum.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:10

Mathijs
I love Sweet Sounds of Heaven, I like the track with Bill and Charlie, but for now really underwhelmed with all the other tracks. I know it always takes a while before I like new Stones material, but for now I just can't get over Jagger's nasal and gnarly voice, and I can't get through his mannerisms and over-pronunciation.

Mathijs

not going to lie I feel similar.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:19

Page 131 and people are starting to turn on the album lol - 3 days before the release date!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:27

Mathijs

Mathijs

Pretty much on the same page here, I feel underwhelmed too after listening to those long excerpts. Tho for different reasons. Actually Mick sounds, to my ears, more direct and less affected than in some of the recent past. Love SSOH, Angry has grown on me very much and I dig Get Close. I have to listen to songs like BMHO or LBTS or DOY wholly and in the flow of the record. Hope stuff like WWW and DMTF will grown on me too. MIU at the moment is strongly elegible for the skipping track
see what happens when I have the record on my plate

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:31

Barkerboy2
Page 131 and people are starting to turn on the album lol - 3 days before the release date!

It's IORR!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:34

Give it time lads.

There was always going to be high praise from the beginning. I reckon they bought some reviewers out. The album is what it is, and from what I’ve heard, it’s the best album we could expect this late in the game.

You need to give it time. Lots of time…

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:36

jackflash27
HardRiffin
yeababyyea
Dagens Nyheter (Swedish newspaper) :

2/5

No rock'n'rollator in the world can help the Rolling Stones groove forward

"Hackney diamonds" could have been a last reminder of what once made The Rolling Stones the world's best band. Instead, producer Andrew Watt has gotten away with the cleaning agent and sterilized the entire soundscape, writes Mattias Dahlström.

"Hackney diamonds" is London slang for the pieces of glass you find on the ground after you have had your windscreen smashed in the London borough of Hackney. It's an album title that should signal a return - from being an arena rock band with real gems to trying to recreate the simple life, when Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were just young British lads head over heels in love with American blues, soul, r 'n'b and country.

"Hackney diamonds" could also have been a final reminder of what is deep inside Jagger, Richards and Ron Wood, far beyond all the stadium fluff. A final discharge of the band that was the best in the world for fifteen years, from the mid-60s to the early 80s (and then lived on that reputation for another 40).

From a craft perspective, it's also the Rolling Stones' most focused collection of songs in a long time. With Charlie Watts - whose jazzy smooth drumming has been a central part of the band - death in 2021 hanging over the recordings, lyrics like "too young for dying/too old to lose" in "Depending on you" or the powerful single ballad with the telling title "Sweet sound of heaven” feel more meaningful. The guest artists are also true rock royalty – Paul McCartney, Stvie Wonder, Elton John and Lady Gaga – although it's really only the latter, whose soulful vocals lift the mentioned single, that really leaves any mark on the result.

Had someone in the Stones circle only called in, say, Rick Rubin as producer, the group's first self-titled album in eighteen years could have been a grandiose, if predictable, potential finale.

Now they chose the wooden goat Andrew Watt instead, the music industry's cherished answer to Killinggängets sound-fetishist therapist Uncle Barbro. And that is the main reason why the music on "Hackney diamonds" never lives up to the story of the album after all.

Watt is a perennial Grammy-winning producer who, whether he's producing Justin Bieber, Ozzy Osbourne, Camilla Cabello, Iggy Pop or the Stones, applies the same scrubbed filter to everything, with the sole aim of impressing the guys at the hi-fi store. Or possibly Patrick Bateman.

Stone's groove has always arisen because there is dirt and oil in the nooks and crannies, but Watt has dipped a tip in disinfectant and meticulously cleaned every single note. Large parts of the soundscape on "Hackney diamonds" are thus so clinically sterile, rigid and unimaginably unswinging that no rock'n'rollator in the world can help it move forward.

Best track: "Sweet sound of heaven"

Mattias Dahlström

I think you have serious hearing problems!!grinning smiley

Why? Because he does not agree with all mostly extreme positive reviews? Nothing wrong with having a different opinion I think. I was getting a little suspicious after all those flattering reports.

Yes, I agree. The likes of Rolling Stone magazine nearly always give the Stones overly-glowing reviews. Didn't they declare A Bigger Bang to be a stone cold, 5-star 'classic'? Utterly ridiculous. It's a 3-star effort at best. Of course, music is subjective, that's certainly true. It's just that a measure of rationalisation is necessary.

In regard to Hackney Diamonds: the reviews are certainly glowing, generally, - the one posted above being an exception - but I can't generally assess the accuracy of these reviews until the alum drops on Friday. Going by what I've heard on the recent radio broadcast, I'm intrigued as to how I'll feel. A couple of the tracks are not 'hitting me' and seem so-so, but others seem much better. Keith's 'Tell Me Straight' is, for me, reminiscent of some of the better moments from his Main Offender album. Anyway, we'll see. Roll-on Friday! Beer, takeaway, a new Stones album. Fingers-crossed, I'm going to have a blast of an afternoon!

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:44

Being a fan since 1989 (which seems like a lifetime), this is only just 'my' 6th 'waiting for the new album' moment' for the Stones. And it feels special and exciting once again. Don't have extreme high expectations. Pretty sure it won't be another sticky fingers, Some girls or even Tattoo you, but just hope it's an enjoyable record.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:55

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 17, 2023 17:57

Just listen to only four songs on this album,They were all good songs,Keith song is kind of boring as usual,why cant he sing on a rocksong anymore?

Date: October 17, 2023 18:19

JumpingKentFlash
Give it time lads.

There was always going to be high praise from the beginning. I reckon they bought some reviewers out. The album is what it is, and from what I’ve heard, it’s the best album we could expect this late in the game.

No one would ever bother to 'buy out' a reviewer! If they put money anywhere, it should be across the radio stations.
Reviewing may score higher because A: they got the album really early and before everyone else so they are in an exclusive club, and are appropriately thankful for it and have their rose-tinteds on; B: the magazine or paper really really wants the interview or whatever, so a good review serves that purpose as bait.

I have given this album a five star rating on The Arts Desk review, but that's because it's a great sounding record - what I say in that review is what I think and feel (though Mess It Up is getting better IMHO) - and it's really exciting to hear these new cuts after 18 years, and I've listened to it loads now, digging in to all the detail. There is a lot of detail, they have really paid attention to the job on this album. It's special, and not like any other album either. Which makes it double-plus special.

But the production is v 21st c, there are touches of autotune on the vocals here n there (ok for me, it's the digital version of shouting into a mic in a cupboard at PAthe Marconi...), and if those are issues, I can understand other fans saying 'naaah', I guess! But I am fairly sure most Stones fans will be in a state of joy.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 17, 2023 18:38

MadMetaphoricalMax
JumpingKentFlash
Give it time lads.

No one would ever bother to 'buy out' a reviewer! If they put money anywhere, it should be across the radio stations.
Reviewing may score higher because A: they got the album really early and before everyone else so they are in an exclusive club, and are appropriately thankful for it and have their rose-tinteds on; B: the magazine or paper really really wants the interview or whatever, so a good review serves that purpose as bait.

I have given this album a five star rating on The Arts Desk review, but that's because it's a great sounding record - what I say in that review is what I think and feel (though Mess It Up is getting better IMHO) - and it's really exciting to hear these new cuts after 18 years, and I've listened to it loads now, digging in to all the detail. There is a lot of detail, they have really paid attention to the job on this album. It's special, and not like any other album either. Which makes it double-plus special.

But the production is v 21st c, there are touches of autotune on the vocals here n there (ok for me, it's the digital version of shouting into a mic in a cupboard at PAthe Marconi...), and if those are issues, I can understand other fans saying 'naaah', I guess! But I am fairly sure most Stones fans will be in a state of joy.

Hey, what about the dreaded “compression”, the loudness wars aspect? Is it bad or as bad as Blue & Lonesome which was a great album, made unlistenable due to its compression. It sounded somehow “clipped” and overly loud. The CD actually IS unlistenable to me. The vinyl a bit better.

It’s interesting, Jagger says that Wild Horses, sound wise, sounds like a blanket had been thrown over it. It sounds utterly wonderful to me.

My theory has long been that artists have had their hearing badly affected by years on stage in front of amps, and they actually DO think current sounding records are fine. When they’re bloody awful. Compared to their older material anyway.

Obviously there ARE exceptions with some modern records, usually newer artists whose hearing has not been buggered up!

Thanks

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-17 18:43 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 17, 2023 18:45

bitusa2012

Hey, what about the dreaded “compression”, the loudness wars aspect?

'Angry' has a Dynamic Range of DR6 and 'SSOH' has DR5. If the album was mastered by the same engineer (Matt Colton), the results for the other tracks could be similar.

Date: October 17, 2023 19:01

Irix
bitusa2012

Hey, what about the dreaded “compression”, the loudness wars aspect?

'Angry' has a Dynamic Range of DR6 and 'SSOH' has DR5. If the album was mastered by the same engineer (Matt Colton), the results for the other tracks could be similar.

What was the Blue & Lonesome DR?

Rod

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:01

Everyone is talking about all the songs here, I thought the release date is the 20th?

Date: October 17, 2023 19:06

I've had the stream, no physical copy, but it is pretty LOUD across the spectrum, but I don't know enough about all that to give a steer ....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:15

bitusa2012

What was the Blue & Lonesome DR?

Album average: DR7, the tracks are DR5-9. All measurements by [www.ProStudioMasters.com] .

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:28

Koen
Everyone is talking about all the songs here, I thought the release date is the 20th?

Some people have heard all the songs in their entirety. Others base their reviews on snippets heard on the radio.

Posted by: glimmer0 ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:39

Wasn't the Mess It Up single supposed to be released today?

Posted by: Jackda ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:41

glimmer0
Wasn't the Mess It Up single supposed to be released today?

Fortunately, Keith managed to cut the cable on the buzz.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:42

Why do people think Mess It Up would be released today?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 17, 2023 19:54

CJFP
Why do people think Mess It Up would be released today?

Mick indicated this in an interview with Mark Goodman on SiriusXM.

Date: October 17, 2023 20:04

MadMetaphoricalMax
I've had the stream, no physical copy, but it is pretty LOUD across the spectrum, but I don't know enough about all that to give a steer ....

Thanks mate. Loved your write up on Hackney Diamonds by the way. I’ve steered clear of the radio show thing that apparently played a lot of it.

I love Angry. I ADORE SSoH. And I do admit to having played the dreadfully booted Get Close and Depending on You tracks. I didn’t much care for Get Close UNTIL that sax solo kicked in. That just lifted the track. But Depending on You from memory sounded like the one on the album that is THE keeper. I still hum the melody of both the chorus and that, best I can describe it, slightly droning sort of riff. I am a hanging out for that one in full!!

Rod

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20, 2023
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 17, 2023 20:18

Rolling Stones To Celebrate 'Hackney Diamonds' During Exclusive Event

By Taylor Fields
October 17, 2023

The Rolling Stones are releasing their first new studio album in 18 years, Hackney Diamonds, on October 20th, and the iconic rock band is celebrating with a special event that fans across the country will be able to tune in and listen to — iHeartRadio ICONS with The Rolling Stones: Celebrating the Release of Hackney Diamonds.

Hackney Diamonds is The Rolling Stones' first release since founding member Charlie Watts' death, and their first studio album since 2005's A Bigger Bang. Although the band has been recording new music over the years, the group released their blues standards record Blue & Lonesome back in 2016. Hackney Diamonds showcases twelve new songs, including previously released tracks "Angry" and "Sweet Sounds of Heaven."

During iHeartRadio ICONS with The Rolling Stones: Celebrating the Release of Hackney Diamonds, the band's Mick Jagger and Keith Richards sit down with iHeartRadio's Jim Kerr to talk about their new album and more. Fans can tune in and listen on October 20th at 7pm ET/4pm PT via iHeartRadio's Classic Rock Channel.

[www.iheart.com]

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: October 17, 2023 20:19

HMV have advised dispatch of the CD today. Looks like it will arrive on release day.

Date: October 17, 2023 20:28

Another listen. More impressed. The keith song is gold. That man has soul.

Love this album. Time will tell how it ages for me. But very hyped

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 17, 2023 20:36

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Another listen. More impressed. The keith song is gold. That man has soul.

Love this album. Time will tell how it ages for me. But very hyped

Did you hear the whole album?

Spin Magazine Ranks Hackney Diamonds at #17
Posted by: ColdFandango ()
Date: October 17, 2023 20:09

Spin Magazine ranks Hackney Diamonds at #17 out of 24 Stones studio albums: [apple.news]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home