Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 13, 2023 12:32

Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Japanese SHM-CD Single [UICY-5139]
1. Album version
2. Radio Edit
Release date: November 24, 2023
Already on pre-order from cdjapan
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 13, 2023 14:53

Jackda
Bjorn
Tell me straight...wow...just one week to go...smiling smiley

F..ck that's better than anything else we heard from the album...eye popping smiley
Only few seconds, frustration overwhelmed me.

In my opinion, with the songs we have heard so far (Angry, SSOH, GC, DOY and few seconds of TMS and LBTS) we can already say that it is an eclectic and very enjoyable album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 14:53 by HardRiffin.

Date: October 13, 2023 14:56

That Keith-track sounds really promising! thumbs up

And Living By The Sword didn't sound anything like Really Wanna Tell The Truth (as many have claimed). It sounds much better, imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2023 15:40

maumau
Undercover was my first "new" album too, after having consumed Still Life on the plate for a year, and though it did not immediately click on me it has grown hugely through the years and there are many tracks in there that are must have in any Stones playlist for me: Too Much Blood, Pretty Beat Up, Pain of Love, Feel on baby

PS
Thanks Georgelicks for the snippets
I want to keep quiet until I listen properly to the whole thing, but the vibes are good

Love that you picked some of the deeper unconventional cuts. It's a really good album, in my top 10 probably.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2023 15:50

Undercover is a very good album...and justly appears to be getting a bit more love these days than it has in the past.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2023 16:15

Spud
Undercover is a very good album...and justly appears to be getting a bit more love these days than it has in the past.

I'll share the love, too. After owning it for several years, and not being particularly enthralled by it, somehow it clicked: there's some rather excellent tracks on there. Tie You Up (Pain of Love) and Too Tough being amongst my favourites. Whilst not as strong - obviously - as the previous album, Tattoo You, it is head and shoulders above Emotional Rescue, and the follow-up, Dirty Work.

Another point: with no tour in support, and Dirty Work being released a whole three years' later, Undercover is, for me, somewhat of a unique, standalone release. It's very-much it's 'own thing'

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 13, 2023 16:38

I assume record shops will have the records in house by the 19th of October. Here in the Netherlands place Goes there is no record shop anymore. I think through internet that you order records through existing record shops that you will have them faster than Bolcom etc. According to mail, I should have it in house by 20 October through the record shop.

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 13, 2023 17:03

Interview with Anthony Mason will air on "CBS Sunday Morning", October 15.

CBS News

MUSIC: The Rolling Stones, still rocking after 60 years: "When you've got it, flaunt it, you know?"
"Hackney Diamonds" is the Rolling Stones' first album of original music in 18 years – and their first since the death, in 2021, of drummer Charlie Watts. Correspondent Anthony Mason sat down with Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood to discuss their unique chemistry; reuniting with the Stones' original bassist Bill Wyman; and what turning 80 means to Jagger and Richards.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 13, 2023 19:58

treaclefingers
maumau
Undercover was my first "new" album too, after having consumed Still Life on the plate for a year, and though it did not immediately click on me it has grown hugely through the years and there are many tracks in there that are must have in any Stones playlist for me: Too Much Blood, Pretty Beat Up, Pain of Love, Feel on baby

PS
I want to keep quiet until I listen properly to the whole thing, but the vibes are good

Love that you picked some of the deeper unconventional cuts. It's a really good album, in my top 10 probably.

Agree! if you add the main singles, too tough and wanna hold you, here you have one very good underrated album

back to HD: I had few doubts about keith track being a goosebumper but the incipit of LBTS is far from what I expected based on the reviews that mention it: it seems to be groovy!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 20:04 by maumau.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 13, 2023 20:39

I’ve heard all snippets so far. I’ve yet to hear something I dislike. That’s really interesting, ‘cause I’ve had gripes with all their latter day albums (mostly length and quality control). It bodes well for Hackney Diamonds.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 20:40

treaclefingers
maumau

PS

I bought Tattoo You and then in 1982 got Still Life. I liked both of 'em but it was Undercover that really made me a Stones fan. Love the album!

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: October 13, 2023 21:07

Has anyone seen a mastering credit for the album?

Date: October 13, 2023 21:10

New video shared by Mick

Just one week to go! #HackneyDiamonds
[www.facebook.com] [twitter.com] [www.instagram.com] [www.tiktok.com]

Date: October 13, 2023 21:13

Exclusive: Rolling Stones Coming to New York Next Week, May Play Small Nightclub, Appear on Jimmy Fallon

[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 13, 2023 21:30

rbp

Not the album, but the singles 'Angry' and 'SSOH' were mastered by Matt Colton at Metropolis Studios (London, UK).

Dynamic Range of 'Angry' is DR6 and 'SSOH' is DR5 according to the measurements by ProStudioMasters.com.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 22:00 by Irix.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 21:40

DiegoGlimmerStones
Exclusive: Rolling Stones Coming to New York Next Week, May Play Small Nightclub, Appear on Jimmy Fallon

[www.showbiz411.com]

They won't play a show without proper rehearsals of minimum 2 weeks

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: October 13, 2023 21:45

Irix
rbp

Not the album, but the singles 'Angry' and 'SSOH' were mastered by Matt Colton at Metropolis Studio (London).

Dynamic Range of 'Angry' is DR6 and 'SSOH' is DR5 according to the measurements by ProStudioMasters.com.

Thanks Irix. At this stage would have to think Matt Colton has done the whole album.
Unfortunately not great DR values, bit of a shame really if you are interested in fidelity of sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 21:46 by rbp.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2023 23:00

Jackda
Bjorn
Tell me straight...wow...just one week to go...smiling smiley

F..ck that's better than anything else we heard from the album...eye popping smiley
Only few seconds, frustration overwhelmed me.

Yeah, it sounds better than a normal piss-break-song aka Keith's "boring jazz ballad".

Could it be that we are back to the times when Keith's tunes actually had a melodic structure and he not just crooning but actually sings it?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 23:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 13, 2023 23:02

DandelionPowderman

And Living By The Sword didn't sound anything like Really Wanna Tell The Truth (as many have claimed). It sounds much better, imo.

Actually the claim on SH was that "Mess It Up" was the finished version of RWTTT, which is plausible since it's described as a lightweight "dance" number.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 13, 2023 23:22

RWTTT??????

Date: October 13, 2023 23:25

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman

Actually the claim on SH was that "Mess It Up" was the finished version of RWTTT, which is plausible since it's described as a lightweight "dance" number.

Ah, I mixed them up. Thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 13, 2023 23:36

Canadian album release party?

Date: October 13, 2023 23:40

Exclusive

'Hats off to Mick' Mick’s a punk and very occasionally an a**hole. But I love him, says Keith Richards in most revealing interview ever

Simon Cosyns
13 Oct 2023

“THE idea of me growing up?” muses Keith Richards, breaking into one of his mischievous cackles. “Save that for later.”

As rock and roll’s ultimate survivor approaches the big 8-0 in December, he’s got every reason to have a youthful spring in his step.

Next Friday sees the release of the age-defying Rolling Stones album Hackney Diamonds, 12 vibrant new songs summoning the swagger of their glory days.

“It doesn’t matter how old the frame is, when you’re playing rock and roll, you have to be young at heart,” the guitarist continues.

“I don’t think about age until the birthday comes round and I always know it’s coming round because Mick is five months ahead of me.”

Just consider that the Rolling Stones formed a full 61 years ago, when Jagger and Richards bumped into each other on Platform 2 of Dartford Station and bonded over their Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry records.

And that now, they’re embarking on a new chapter in their storied career with a great album and, I confidently predict, live shows to follow.

“Weirdly enough, I’ve been thinking about this,” reports Keith. “Does it mean I’ll soon be saying, ‘Oh no, not Volume 3!’

“But you never know with these guys. After all, I’ve got Peter Pan on vocals.”

‘I still talk to Charlie & I expect I’ll continue to’

While never even attempting to get close to Mick’s superhuman fitness levels, Keith’s looking remarkably healthy...by his standards at least...now that he’s given up fags, the hard stuff and hellraising in general.

“I have my check-ups and the doctors just say, ‘Get out of here!’” exclaims the walking miracle.

Speaking for himself, frontman Mick and fellow guitarist Ronnie Wood, he adds: “Everybody’s had health problems but somehow we’re all in physically good shape.

“As long as your leg doesn’t fall off — that WOULD be considered a health problem — who cares about the other aches and pains?”

That said, Keith is delighted to report that Ronnie has “busted” his small cell cancer scare.

“Yeah, he’s got a clean bill of health and now he’s a solid family man. Two young daughters,” he affirms.

On a sadder note, Keith is carrying on without his mainstay, drummer Charlie Watts, who died in 2021, a loss which hit him hard.

“I still have conversations with the man, which I fully expect to continue,” he says.

At his age, Keith can be forgiven for keeping some of life’s pleasures. “I do drink, man! Mostly in moderation,” he tells me.

“Though it depends a bit on the occasion...and right now I have a lot to celebrate!”

The last time I met him in person, he helped himself to a large Screwdriver, mostly vodka, not much orange, from a mini bar and lit up one of his favourite Marlboro Reds.

Today, we find ourselves in the dark, windowless confines of a swish Knightsbridge hotel’s reading room, with only a couple of glasses of mineral water for company.

I can hear the lovable rogue’s piratical rasp before he strolls through the door and, as he approaches me, he extends the right hand that’s played a thousand riffs and says: “How are you doing, man?”

Keith is dressed down in black, minus his round-framed shades but with trademark fedora perched on his grey curls. “There’s something amazing about yours and the Stones’ longevity. What’s the secret?” I ask him.

“It must be in the water...or maybe it’s just my generation,” he replies in that wonderfully lived-in voice.

If you close your eyes and listen to Mick’s searing vocals and the scorched-earth guitars of Keith, Ronnie and American livewire producer Andrew Watt on Hackney Diamonds, it’s as if time stood still...

...probably somewhere around the release of 1978’s unvarnished Some Girls singles Shattered and Respectable.

That year is significant because it was the height of punk and the Stones were up against the most seismic shift in music since they and The Beatles spearheaded the Sixties’ pop revolution.

One of their new songs, Bite My Head Off, complete with a cameo from Paul McCartney on bass, is an expletive-laden three-minute punk blast, the words spat out by Jagger with the venom of the Sex Pistols or The Clash.

“Mick’s a punk!” cries Keith when I bring up the song.

“The punk side of Jagger has always been there and we’ll never get rid of it.”

In the Stones’ officially sanctioned 2012 film Crossfire Hurricane, there’s some astonishing footage of a 1964 concert ending in a mass brawl, with the band being manhandled off the stage.

“I don’t think we finished a show for two years,” says Keith. “That’s when Mick developed his punk attitude.

“Before you went on, the main thing was, ‘How do you get out of here?’ It was mayhem.”

Keith believes the late Seventies’ punk scene could only dream of what the Stones went through. “Punk wished to be like us. They just re-enacted!”

As if it was yesterday, Keith recalls what it was like being caught up in the chaos.

“Girls were going berserk, fainting all over the place, and we were all getting shoved out the way because of the stretchers heaving them away. It was quite an eye-opener at the time. Jesus Christ, women!”

Keith is made up about the appearance of McCartney on Bite My Head Off, especially because The Beatles had similar experiences.

“Yeah, Macca just strolled in with his bass. I think the song reminded him of those times. Beatlemania was equally as bizarre as Stones mania.”

There’s a moment towards the end of Bite My Head Off where you hear someone saying, “Come on Paul, play something”. “That might be me,” smiles Keith.

In the Sixties, The Beatles and the Stones were set up as bitter rivals, rather like Oasis and Blur in the Nineties.

But Keith puts it down to “a bit of PR” and says he’s always had huge respect for the Fab Four.

Mick and I went, ‘Let’s do it, let’s go there’

“That goes back to 1963 when Paul and John (Lennon) gave us I Wanna Be Your Man because we weren’t writing songs at that time — we were only just beginning.

“Our friendship started way back then but we always allowed the rivalry thing.

“In the meantime, we’d be calling each other and saying, ‘When are you bringing out your next single?’ ‘Ours is ready’ ‘OK, well, ours isn’t, so you go first’. We were always plotting behind the scenes so we didn’t clash.”

Next it’s time for Keith to talk more about Mick, who he says is “unbelievable, man, one of the greatest frontmen”.

Acknowledging that there’s been turbulence in their relationship along the way, he says: “People only hear about the downs.

“After 60 years, if you had a brother, you’d have had a few ups and downs, too, and ours is usually concerned with work.

“I say, ‘That’s too schlocky’, and he says, ‘I love it’, and I go, ‘You’re an a**hole!’ But the abrasiveness is minor compared to the harmony that goes on all the time.”

I remind him of his social media post to mark his old mucker’s 80th in July which said, “Happy birthday Mick, long may we keep saying this to each other, Love Keith”.

He repeats to me: “Of course I love him.” With the seeds of Hackney Diamonds sown years ago when Charlie Watts was still with us, Keith credits Mick with providing “the main impetus” to getting it over the line.

“Hats off to Mick for his part. Actually, he fell in line with what I’ve been saying for years!

“When a lead singer says to you, ‘I want to record’, get them in the studio straight away!

“That energy feeds the rest of us. I mean, an enthusiastic Mick is far easier to work with than a bewildered or disgruntled Mick. Let’s just get him while he’s in this mood.”

Keith is also enthused by the drumming of Steve Jordan, anointed by Charlie and now sitting in his place.

“Breaking Steve in has been beautifully seamless,” he says.

But the final track on Hackney Diamonds finds no room for a drummer or even Ronnie, who has been with the band since 1975. It’s a stirring cover of the song which gave the world’s greatest rock and roll band their name, Chicago legend Muddy Waters’ Rolling Stone Blues...just Mick on both vocals and harmonica and Keith on guitar.

“Hats off to (producer) Andrew Watt, who suggested it,” he says. He actually bought us the 1920s guitar, which is about the age of the one Muddy played.

“Mick and I went, ‘Let’s do it, let’s go there’. We transported ourselves back in time.”

Keith calls Rolling Stone Blues “the masterwork”. “We did two takes. It’s not something you want to record over and over. When we finished, I said to Mick, ‘Well done, Muddy’.”

He’s often said this before but Keith’s a massive fan of his bandmate’s harmonica skills which add authentic atmosphere to the song.

“Mick is one of the best harp blues players around, man,” he says. “There’s something almost uncanny about it.”

Before we go our separate ways, I ask Keith what his family think of his latest endeavours...the first Stones album of original material since 2005.

For years, his main base has been in the wilds of Connecticut, where he lives with his wife of 40 years, the one-time model Patti Hansen, mother of his daughters Alexandra and Theodora.

He also keeps his old English country estate on the South Coast, Redlands, which he bought in 1966. “I haven’t seen my English side down in Sussex yet but I’m getting thumbs up from my other lot who are with me all the time, Theo and Alex,” he says.

“And I’ve got this great new granddaughter, who’s killing me at the moment.

“Arlo is two years old and that says it all...she’s milking the terrible twos!”

With the buzz around Hackney Diamonds building to a deafening roar, Keith has been caught up in a promotional whirl. By his side has been Patti, the love of his life.

“She’s my rock, man,” he says. “Amazing woman. I’m going to write a book about her. She keeps me together.”

Finally, I ask this irrepressible character, 80 years young on December 18, how long he intends to keep rolling as a Rolling Stone.

“I see no reason to go anywhere,” he answers. “And, in any case, there’s nowhere else to go.”

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-14 00:02 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 14, 2023 01:28

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman
Keith Richards: Arthritis changed my guitar-playing

By Mark Savage
BBC Music Correspondent

[www.bbc.com]

Thanks for posting, DP.

Audio of the interview - [www.bbc.co.uk]

Starts at around 1 hour 43 minutes.

Short and sweet, Keith hasn't sounded as "clear" since...ever ? Contrast this to his "performance" during the 2006 video PC for the launch of the European tour and you can see why the Stones would be a lot more "functional" these days. Like Doxa wrote a few days, imagine the nightmare it was for Mick to work/deal with him at the time...

WTF!!!!????

How have I never seen that!!!??

Makes the HD Jimmy Fallon thing look like the Oscars!

They seem so out of it at first. LOL without being able to hear the questions, wow, they're so animated with each other, Mick slapping Keith, Mick's little dig at Keith, Mick's quip "Ronnie is, anyway", about them "playing better than ever", Keith doing whatever to Ronnie, the silly looks Mick gives Charlie, Mr. Information On My Right - and Charlie - as usual, groaning and HILARIOUS.

thumbs up
Almost like an absurd theater piece! Totally hilarious!

Date: October 14, 2023 02:57

Mick Jagger: my battle to get Hackney Diamonds made

He’s the Rolling Stones’ legendary frontman who, at 80, shows no signs of slowing down. Mick Jagger tells Will Hodgkinson about the band’s early days and recording their latest album with help from Paul McCartney, Lady Gaga and Elton John

Will Hodgkinson
Saturday October 14 2023

Mark Seliger

For those of us who have spent a lifetime listening to the Rolling Stones, watching films of the band in action, growing up with countless images of Mick Jagger implanted onto our consciousness and, after a few drinks, pouting our lips and strutting across the living room with an exaggerated hip swagger the moment Street Fighting Man comes on, meeting the man in the flesh comes as a shock.

“How you doin’?” Jagger says, a slight figure in a colourful shirt, skinny black trousers and shiny new trainers, a swathe of auburn hair topping off an 80-year-old face that manages to look young and old at the same time. Jagger has the deep wrinkles of any man his age, but at the same time there is a twinkling mischievousness, a spirit of irreverence, which means it is impossible to imagine him grumbling about, say, the way they play music so loudly in restaurants these days. When you’re the singer in the greatest rock’n’roll band in the world, not to mention having a seven-year-old Mini-Me in son Deveraux with his ballerina turned writer girlfriend, Melanie Hamrick, putting your feet up clearly isn’t an option.

Jagger is famous for not looking back. “Enough of all this nostalgia bollocks!” he says, more than once, over a Saturday evening at an ornate Arts and Crafts-style house on the river at Hammersmith, west London. We’re meeting in one of the wood-panelled rooms because the Rolling Stones have a new album coming out, their first of original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang.

Hackney Diamonds is the best Stones album since 1978’s Some Girls and it shares with it a jagged, punky spirit, perhaps because both were recorded the same way: quickly. It also touches on the aspects people love about the band in their late Sixties, early Seventies imperial phase: the gospel uplift of 1969’s Let It Bleed, the soulfulness of 1971’s Sticky Fingers, the ragged abandon of 1972’s Exile on Main St. Not that Jagger wants to be reminded of all that. When I say a lamenting ballad called Depending on You reminds me of Wild Horses, the yearning 1971 classic recorded at Muscle Shoals, a tiny studio in the depths of Alabama famous for capturing the quintessential country rock sound, he’s having none of it.

“I don’t hear that at all,” he protests. “To me, Depending on You is modern LA pop. You don’t want people to say, ‘Oh, Ronnie’s playing the same old guitar part again,’ so we added an organ, strings, vocal stacks… Don’t get that in Muscle Shoals. That place was lo-fi even then. I mean, listen to Wild Horses today. It sounds like it is covered in blankets.”

Part of Jagger’s drive to keep things new and fresh involved hiring a young producer for Hackney Diamonds. Andrew Watt is a 32-year-old New Yorker who is building something of a reputation as the go-to guy for classic rockers. He’s worked with Iggy Pop, Paul McCartney and Ozzy Osbourne, but he started out playing guitar for Justin Bieber.

“Andy’s a pop producer who loves rock’n’roll,” Jagger says. “But rock’n’roll doesn’t make you any money and it doesn’t make you famous, at least not any more. I’m not trying to make the Rolling Stones not sound like the Rolling Stones — that would be really stupid, especially after not putting out an album for so long — but the temptation a lot of producers have is to remake their favourite Stones album. I had to say to Andy, ‘We’re not making Sticky Fingers Mark II here. A few references are OK. Loads of references are not OK.’ ”

Jagger does seem like a big one for pushing forward, for ensuring the Rolling Stones don’t rest on their laurels but remain relevant in and connected to the 21st century. “You’ve noticed, then,” Keith Richards says in a sardonic growl down the line from his library room in Connecticut. “I have to live with it. But that is Mick’s thing: ‘Let’s do it.’ And in this instance, it was the right time to put the boot behind us and get going. We bumped into Andrew Watt, which gave us impetus because he is a very energetic young man. We call him the Kid.”

Jagger’s biggest battle was getting the album made in the first place because nobody, not the record label, not the management, not even the band, was crying out for a new Rolling Stones record. “I was actually really worried because nobody had any f***ing urgency to do a record. Everyone seemed happy to do a tour every few years and nothing for the rest of the time. In the old days, the tour used to be a promotion for the record and the record was the thing. These days you make loads of money on the road and you don’t make much money on the record, which means you’re still selling tickets even when you don’t have a new album to promote. And you end up thinking, ‘They just want to hear Paint It, Black. They don’t want to hear anything else. They’re quite happy. Who cares about our new record?’ ”

One person who did care was Jagger. After years of recording bits and pieces without ever really getting anywhere, he realised that what the band needed was a deadline. (“How stupid of us not to have realised that eight years ago.”) He told Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Steve Jordan, the band’s drummer since Charlie Watts died in 2021, that they were going into the studio in autumn 2022, they would finish by Valentine’s Day, they would have the record out by autumn 2023 and they would go on tour after that. Just like in the old days.

“And Keith went, ‘Well, it’s a bit optimistic.’ I said, I know, but you’ve got to be optimistic. In the end, Keith was very supportive, which I was surprised about because I thought he was going to say, ‘I can’t be f***ing bothered. Can’t be doing that. I want a break, I don’t want to be working in December.’ But he didn’t. In fact, he worked very hard. I don’t think Keith’s worked that hard in years. Ronnie was very keen too, so we went into a studio in Los Angeles and did it in about three weeks.”

“The Stones do work hard,” Richards agrees. “When we work.”

A few friends dropped in along the way, most notably on Sweet Sounds of Heaven, a Stonesy gospel epic in the tradition of You Can’t Always Get What You Want and a highlight of the album. “I was sitting there singing when I saw a woman sitting at my feet and went, ‘Oh, it’s Lady Gaga,’ ” Jagger says, sounding supremely unfazed at the turn of events. “Turns out she was recording next door. I gave her some headphones, she did a few oohs and aahs, and I said, ‘Why don’t you sing the words?’ It came together very quickly.”

Stevie Wonder also dropped by to play the keyboard parts on Sweet Sounds of Heaven, while elsewhere on the album Elton John (or as Keith Richards calls him, “Reg”), the late Charlie Watts and the Stones’ original bassist, Bill Wyman, all pop up. Perhaps the standout guest spot comes from Paul McCartney, who plays some extremely distorted bass guitar on a punky track called Bite My Head Off. It is classic Jagger material: sounds angry and rebellious but is in fact all in the spirit of good, clean fun.

“I was kind of surprised Paul wanted to play on that track actually,” says Jagger, McCartney’s old friend and, if the endless competition between the Beatles and the Stones is to be taken seriously, lifelong rival. “Andy told me he didn’t have to take a hiatus in making our record before being forced to admit that he did — he had a five-day booking with Paul. So he dealt with it by getting Paul to play on our album. I wrote so many punk songs for the Stones and I could never get away with them, but Paul is a very open-minded person — musically speaking.”
Didn’t McCartney say, not so long ago, something rather rude about the Rolling Stones? “He said the Beatles were better than the Stones because the Stones were really just a blues cover band,” Jagger says, looking amused at the memory. “Well, the Beatles were also really just a blues cover band when they started out. Every band is a cover band at the beginning, because that’s how it goes. When we’re on tour I like to say that someone is in the audience when they’re actually not, to create a big moment, so I said one time, ‘Paul McCartney is here tonight. He’s going to come up on stage and play some of our blues cover tunes.’ I texted Paul to say thank you for his comment because it has given me a lot of comic material.”

What becomes clear, over the little time we spend together, is that Jagger is above all else a professional. He’s friendly, courteous, disarming, with none of the intimidation you might expect from someone who has been asked every question under the sun for the past 60 years. But you’re not going to get him to go off script and say something he might regret later. And he is unquestionably the captain of the Stones camp, even if the Jagger-Richards songwriting partnership remains an equal one. He has said in the past that he doesn’t particularly enjoy being the business brains of the operation, but when it became obvious — some time in the late Sixties — that nobody else in the band was interested in taking on the job, he had no choice. There is a song on the album called Whole Wide World, which looks back to a state that seems unthinkable now: penury. For a brief period in the early Sixties, Jagger, Richards and the Stones’ blues-obsessed founder, Brian Jones, were poor, unknown and sharing a flat of legendary squalor in Edith Grove, Chelsea.

“It was student digs. Don’t overdo it!” Jagger says, after I paint the Edith Grove flat as a rat-infested hellhole where the three novice Stones would fight over scraps of mould-encrusted bread before going out and hollering the blues for their supper. “I don’t come from poverty and I wasn’t poor at the time because I had a student grant, which meant they gave me money to go to university. Can you believe it? Keith and Brian, meanwhile, really didn’t have any money. We didn’t have many gigs and nobody was paying us anything, but it didn’t last long because we went very quickly from rags to riches. And although we didn’t have any real money until later, Keith no longer had to steal potatoes. So he says. Never saw it myself.”

As a cover version on Hackney Diamonds (Rolling Stone Blues) of the Muddy Waters blues standard Rollin’ Stone, after which the band are named, reminds us, the Stones began with nothing more than a goal to play the music of their black American blues heroes in an authentic fashion. Or as authentic as a bunch of callow youths from suburban London could muster. “We didn’t set out to do anything else. We were very preachy about bringing blues to a broader audience and all that bollocks, because when you’re young, that’s what you want to do.”

Jagger and Richards started writing songs in 1964 after being locked in a kitchen by Andrew Loog Oldham, their manager at the time, who didn’t allow them out until they came up with the lovelorn ballad As Tears Go By. It meant the Rolling Stones were no longer blues purists and before long they were writing Paint It, Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown and Mother’s Little Helper: sharp, catchy pop songs evoking British postwar realities with a new kind of defiance that was very much in keeping with the mood of the times.

“We certainly didn’t have any political message, but it was the beginning of the awareness of reflecting society in songs, wasn’t it? You had Bob Dylan popularising it with our generation, I suppose.”

I have a theory on why Jagger transformed from rebellious hero of the counterculture to the head of a vastly successful, remarkably enduring enterprise. On February 12, 1967, the Rolling Stones were seen as enough of a threat to the establishment to be the target of a drug bust after the News of the World, smarting at a libel warning from Jagger when a reporter mistook him for Brian Jones boasting about drugs in a nightclub, tipped off police about a party at Keith Richards’ Redlands house in Sussex. The Stones had been making the most of their bad boy image for years. It was Loog Oldham who in 1965 planted the newspaper headline, “Would you let your daughter marry a Rolling Stone?” All of a sudden, the image brought with it serious implications.

Jagger was only found with four pep pills, bought legally in Italy, but that was enough for the Rolling Stones-hating Judge Block (“filth” and “scum” were two of the more colourful terms included in his critique of the band) to hand down a three-month sentence. The public outcry, not to mention the famous “Who Breaks a Butterfly on a Wheel?” editorial by Times editor William Rees-Mogg, meant the sentence was reduced to a conditional discharge. But going to jail, if only for a few nights, was enough of a shock for Jagger to have realised, I suspect, how dangerous going up against the old order can be.

“It was a very weird thing,” Jagger says of the Redlands affair. “I was cleaning out my garage a couple of weeks ago — as you do; it was such a mess — when I came across an old Evening Standard from 1967. On the diary page, after a bit about a film premiere and who was spotted at the latest nightclub, was a column in which this guy said the sentence was completely unfair because normally what people got for these offences was a fine. If we got 15 shillings and a reprimand, it wouldn’t have become such a cause célèbre, but then on top of that you had the slightly conspiratorial nature of the arrest.”

Jagger says he doesn’t want to bring up “that old Sixties bollocks”, but goes on to reveal that in the decades since the arrest a lot of police corruption around it has come out. Before he ended up behind bars himself, doing four years for perjury, the late Norman Pilcher of Scotland Yard made it his mission to bring down the rock stars of the day, John Lennon, George Harrison and Dusty Springfield among them. It was Pilcher, immortalised as Semolina Pilchard on the Beatles’ I Am the Walrus, who pushed through the Redlands bust.
“The Rolling Stones weren’t a threat, not really. It was the perception,” Jagger says. “At the time there were so many different niches of consciousness and that meant we were seen as far more dangerous than we were. There are pockets in which everyone is thinking, ‘Oh, I think it is fine to smoke marijuana.’ Others are so against it that they think it is a terrible moral problem. And when we went from the Kings Road to, say, Barnsley, it looked like another country. It certainly didn’t look like the Swinging Sixties.”

Amid all this, even in the early Seventies when the Stones were at their most druggy and dissolute, when Keith Richards’ legendarily decadent mansion, Villa Nellcôte, in the south of France became a hangout for everyone from the heroin-addicted country rocker Gram Parsons to the heroin-dealing Corsican mafia, Jagger kept it together. He never seems to have put on an ounce of weight. Back in the Nineties my wife worked as a fitting model for Katharine Hamnett, and when the label was commissioned to make Jagger a pair of trousers she was the only one who could fit into their 26in waist. It helps explain why he remains fit enough to boogie across the world’s stages today and, according to his old friend Pete Townshend, that physical discipline has a lot to do with his father.

“Mick Jagger is a wonderful example to us all,” Townshend says. “Every time I feel a bit creaky I think, ‘All I need to do is start running around Richmond Park and I’ll be as fit as he is.’ His dad wrote two books about the callisthenics movement and how to stay young and he was a very fit old man, but he ended up with Alzheimer’s. Every time he saw me he would say, ‘I know you. You’re in my son’s band.’ ”

I mention this to Jagger, and the suggestion that his father might have shaped the direction his life went in. “He was inspiring in terms of physical exercise,” he agrees. “He wasn’t that tough a father, not a severe disciplinarian or anything like that, but he taught me how physicality was important. What he didn’t do, what he was so against, actually, was me being involved in any way in the arts.”

He didn’t approve of his son being in a rock’n’roll band?

“No, he did not. He was an academic person and a teacher and a fitness enthusiast. That meant he taught me how to be academic, how to learn things and how to be fit. Clearly I had a whole other part of me that wanted to be creative, but it was my own fault. The school I went to [Dartford Grammar School] did have theatre, it did have performance, it did have music — none of which I participated in at all.”

Surely, I suggest, he always wanted to be a singer. He is after all the most famous rock singer in the history of the world. The suggestion appears to bring about an attack of soul-searching and reflection.

“Yeah, kind of,” he says hesitantly, not sounding too sure about it at all. “I was also interested in films. I was interested in acting. So why wasn’t I in any of the school productions? Obviously I wasn’t particularly interested after all. But you can’t do everything, can you? There was so much academic work to do, and so much sport, and my father certainly didn’t lead me down that direction. With my children, if they want to do acting classes I’ll say, ‘Do acting classes.’ That’s the modern parent for you.”

Those eight children, the younger ones at least, might do well to take some acting classes after Jagger hinted, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, that he is thinking of leaving the Rolling Stones’ back catalogue and its estimated $500 million valuation (£415 million) to charity. “You see what they are inclined to do, not what you want them to do,” Jagger continues of his own parental approach. “My dad had an idea for me, but his idea was not what I wanted to do.”

What was his idea for you?

“God knows!”

The other man with the most significant impact on Jagger’s life is Keith Richards. It was Jagger and Richards who took over control of the band from Brian Jones the moment they started writing songs together; whose conflicting, somehow complementing personalities have driven the band’s chemistry; whose creative partnership continues to produce songs that make the world seem, if not a better place, then at least a more exciting one. You wonder how their co-songwriting approach, and their relationship as a whole given they spent so much of the Eighties tearing strips of flesh off each other before becoming friends again, has changed.

“It’s completely different,” Jagger says. “We used to live in the same flat. I didn’t play much guitar; he did. Sometimes he would give me ideas for lyrics and I sang all the top lines. Because we lived together we would come up with all this stuff, then carry around a reel-to-reel tape recorder when we were on tour and that’s how it worked. Not like that now. He’s in Connecticut, I’m in England or France, and with this album I came up with a lot of the original ideas before asking Keith, Ronnie, everyone, to make those ideas better.”

“Mick always wants to speed things up and push it,” Richards says, on the way the pair fashion songs together. “I want to take it easy. There is a difference between having impetus and running over your own feet.”

To prove this, Richards wrote and sang the slowest, most reflective song on the album. Tell Me Straight is a mournful, rather fatalistic ballad about accepting a less than perfect reality. “It’s a good Keith song,” concurs Jagger. “ ‘Is the future all in the past?’ That’s a good line. I threw a few lines in there too. Can’t remember if he used them or not.”

Then there is Ronnie Wood. “I wake up and think, ‘I’m in the Rolling Stones,’ ” the guitarist says, still sounding rather pleased about this turn of events at 76. “I found myself at the right place at the right time, and it was no surprise to me that I joined because I always lived by the Stones. I was born into it.”

Wood is perennially known as the new boy, even though he joined in the mid-Seventies. “That’s a load of nonsense,” Jagger says of the “new boy” tag. “I look to Ronnie for a lot of support, actually. He is very gregarious, very enthusiastic, and I like tossing ideas around with Ronnie because he is communicative. Keith is more… I wouldn’t exactly say quiet… I don’t really live in America any more, so I don’t see Keith as much.”

Perhaps, underneath his louche persona, Keith Richards is actually rather shy?

“He is a shy person,” Jagger confirms. “He always was. I have known Keith since he was four and that is the reality. But we all went through shy periods in our lives, didn’t we? You find ways to deal with it.”

As for songwriting itself, Jagger says it gets easier as you get older. “Well, you know what you’re doing by now and when you start you haven’t got a clue. These days, I know I can sit down at the piano in my house and come up with something. Might be Sweet Sounds of Heaven. Might stand there with a distorted guitar and come up with Bite My Head Off. It is magic, in a way, because you sit down with nothing and ten minutes later you have something. Then comes the craft, and it’s the same with you, I imagine. You might have a great idea for an article, you get the outline, dash it off, and the rest is an application as you write your 800 words.”

One difference, I suppose, is that a stadium full of people will never, ever sing those 800 words back to me, least of all almost 60 years after I wrote them, as Jagger experiences with Satisfaction, Jumpin’ Jack Flash and any number of solid-gold smashes. For someone who doesn’t like looking back, who has led his band towards a superb new album, who can’t stand all that nostalgia bollocks, it is a bit of a conundrum. So I finish our interview by asking Jagger what he thinks will be the Rolling Stones’ legacy.

“The only thing I want the Stones to be remembered for is being a good rock band. There is going to be the Beatles and there is going to be the Stones and together they will represent the rock era,” he says. “The Stones are much longer lived, obviously.”

He’s up from his chair. “OK, we’re done. I’m sure you’ve got a few bits and pieces there.”

A quick handshake and he’s gone.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 05:22

Idorh
RWTTT??????

Really Wanna Tell The Truth:
[youtu.be]

Personally, I love it!

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Date: October 14, 2023 10:08

sf37
Idorh
RWTTT??????

[youtu.be]

Personally, I love it!

Thanks. "Beau van erven dorens" is a Dutch television presenter, he has had interviews with Ron Wood and mick Jagger, and heard the whole album. He is a real fan, and said it is a great album, his number 1 was "Mess It Up".

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 14, 2023 10:26

Idorh
sf37
Idorh
RWTTT??????

[youtu.be]

Personally, I love it!

Thanks. "Beau van erven dorens" is a Dutch television presenter, he has had interviews with Ron Wood and mick Jagger, and heard the whole album. He is a real fan, and said it is a great album, his number 1 was "Mess It Up".

My pleasure! If it turns out that "Mess It Up" and "Really Wanna Tell The Truth" are in fact the same song, I will certainly not be disappointed. And I'll probably share the opinion of Mr. van Erven Dorens with the track being a favourite of mine from the album. We'll find out soon! smiling bouncing smiley

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 14, 2023 10:57

Thanks for sharing that terrific article from The Times, the best one by far so far, both insightful (the songwriting process for instance) and analytical.

Oh and Mick still hasn't forgiven Don Was for VL apparently "the temptation a lot of producers have is to remake their favourite Stones album" ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2023 11:30

Yeah Micks been doin some good interviews ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home