Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126...LastNext
Current Page: 121 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 10, 2023 15:12

tiffanyblu
ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
See, that's my point. I think us younger fans have a bigger appreciation for their latter-day stuff than the older fans. We are the ones who tend to love the more recent releases. There are exceptions on here, but most prefer the older and/or golden periods.

as a younger fan i'm in total agreement with you

I do agree on that. Songs like Almost hear you sigh, Love is strong, Slipping Away, Thru and Thru, Out of Control, Saint of me, Stealing my heart, Don't Stop etc. are absolute gems.

But to be fair, I was 18 when ABB was released. Loved it back then. But no song really sticks to me anymore. I still listen to VL, B2B etc. But I tried a while back to listen to ABB a few times... it's not modern, it's not old... it's almost nothing. So sry to say it from a younger fan but ABB for me have travelled from a strong album to one of their weakest.

I think this is a fair assessment. Their last 2 albums (ABB & B&L) I rarely listen to. There are some good songs on ABB, but the overall quality of the product compared to VL and B2B just isn't there. And the overall production and Mick's vocals on B&L just never got it off the ground for me.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 10, 2023 15:14

Another funny thing is how that generation of fans maybe in their sixties will marvel at how old men of 80 can still produce dirty, nasty & energetic rock music...because for us, Rock was never an old persons's music.

But for fans in their 20s and 30s...rock was probably always the music of older folks... and so that generation is far less surprised by the fact that 80 year olds can still do it .

It appears that nobody is as ageist as those growing old. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-10 15:16 by Spud.

Date: October 10, 2023 15:14

Doxa
VoodooLounge13
Am I the only one on here who hasn't read any of the reviews? Still haven't listened to SSOH because I don't want to detract from my enjoyment of the album in its entirety as a listening experience. I don't want to read lyrics or others' opinions and be swayed - pun intended.
e
Haha, I am way too curious to have such a stoic attitude. No patience here. I read and listen everything I have an access to.

But at the same time it is an interesting experiment we are going through now. To have all those reviews way beforehand the album. Of the songs I have not heard yet I start to have a pretty good grasp what sort of songs they are like. I don't care how the reviewers evaluate the songs (that's my job), but taking the 'formal' descriptive hints of them plus all that experience of listening this band so long. You know, a country song, a dance song, Keith's song, etc. So it will be interesting to compare the actual song to the picture I already have of it.

At the moment the only song I have no really idea what is supposed to be like is "The Sword" tune. I have different ideas of it.

- Doxa

LOL I don't even want to know what type of song each is!!! I know BMHO is a punk rocker, and this SSOH is a gospel tune much in the vein of YCAGWYW, and I really love Angry - though I've not heard or listened to it in some weeks now!!! Although I am still looping it in silence on my work laptop (over 18MM views now btw!!!)

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 10, 2023 17:34

VoodooLounge13
tiffanyblu
ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
See, that's my point. I think us younger fans have a bigger appreciation for their latter-day stuff than the older fans. We are the ones who tend to love the more recent releases. There are exceptions on here, but most prefer the older and/or golden periods.

I do agree on that. Songs like Almost hear you sigh, Love is strong, Slipping Away, Thru and Thru, Out of Control, Saint of me, Stealing my heart, Don't Stop etc. are absolute gems.

But to be fair, I was 18 when ABB was released. Loved it back then. But no song really sticks to me anymore. I still listen to VL, B2B etc. But I tried a while back to listen to ABB a few times... it's not modern, it's not old... it's almost nothing. So sry to say it from a younger fan but ABB for me have travelled from a strong album to one of their weakest.

I think this is a fair assessment. Their last 2 albums (ABB & B&L) I rarely listen to. There are some good songs on ABB, but the overall quality of the product compared to VL and B2B just isn't there. And the overall production and Mick's vocals on B&L just never got it off the ground for me.

Triggered by this post (and the upcoming release of the new album) I thought it would be a good idea to listen to ABB, so I have a good 'reference point' from where they left us in 2005. I listened to the vinyl version out of the Studio albums box. First of all: I was surprised how bad the vinyl sounded! This is really a bad mastered or recorded album (at least on vinyl). Very thin sounding, very digital and compressed. Very hard to listen to the whole thing in one session.
The songs are not that bad as I remembered it from last time I listened to them. The problem with ABB in my opinion, is that it is just too long. When songs like Streets of Love, This place is empty, Driving too Fast, Infamy where excluded, it would be a lot better.
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Sweet Neo Con. Laugh I nearly died and It won't take long are the best song of the album for me. Not a bad effort though, and also underrated when I listen to it now in retrospect.

Now I'm ready for what's to come winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 10, 2023 17:58

bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman
Keith Richards: Arthritis changed my guitar-playing

By Mark Savage
BBC Music Correspondent

[www.bbc.com]

Thanks for posting, DP.

Audio of the interview - [www.bbc.co.uk]

Starts at around 1 hour 43 minutes.

Short and sweet, Keith hasn't sounded as "clear" since...ever ? Contrast this to his "performance" during the 2006 video PC for the launch of the European tour and you can see why the Stones would be a lot more "functional" these days. Like Doxa wrote a few days, imagine the nightmare it was for Mick to work/deal with him at the time...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 10, 2023 18:26

jackflash27
VoodooLounge13
tiffanyblu
ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13

Triggered by this post (and the upcoming release of the new album) I thought it would be a good idea to listen to ABB, so I have a good 'reference point' from where they left us in 2005. I listened to the vinyl version out of the Studio albums box. First of all: I was surprised how bad the vinyl sounded! This is really a bad mastered or recorded album (at least on vinyl). Very thin sounding, very digital and compressed. Very hard to listen to the whole thing in one session.
The songs are not that bad as I remembered it from last time I listened to them. The problem with ABB in my opinion, is that it is just too long. When songs like Streets of Love, This place is empty, Driving too Fast, Infamy where excluded, it would be a lot better.
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Sweet Neo Con. Laugh I nearly died and It won't take long are the best song of the album for me. Not a bad effort though, and also underrated when I listen to it now in retrospect.

Hands down my favorite song on the album, and I think it should have been a single. I also love both Keef efforts, so - as we've discussed ad nauseum - it's hard to pick which 10-12 songs should have made that album. NeoCon, SOL both get a no from me. Laugh at the time I thought was a weaker track, but it's grown on me. It Won't Take Long has always been one of my faves as well, and I still RJ is one of their best latter day attempts at capturing the snarly early 70's vibe. Just a great friggin song!!!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 10, 2023 19:14

VoodooLounge13
Am I the only one on here who hasn't read any of the reviews? Still haven't listened to SSOH because I don't want to detract from my enjoyment of the album in its entirety as a listening experience. I don't want to read lyrics or others' opinions and be swayed - pun intended.

I will not read any reviews of the album, before I actually listen to the LP at home next friday October 20th. I want to listen to the album without any eventually pre conceived idea.

Nevertheless, I have listened to SSOH about 1000 times !

:-)

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 10, 2023 19:54

VoodooLounge13

I have read something, however, not too much. But I have not listened to any of the two released songs, in other to obtain a whole album as a completely new experience.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: October 10, 2023 22:19

Witness
VoodooLounge13

I have read something, however, not too much. But I have not listened to any of the two released songs, in other to obtain a whole album as a completely new experience.

I too have also not listened to the 2 released tracks except for the first 15 second snippet of Angry. Also have kept away from the reviews and like you VL13 I want to hear it in its entirety.Call me old fashioned but thats how I want it to be for me thumbs up

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 10, 2023 22:38

[www.stereogum.com]

Premature Evaluation: The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds

OCTOBER 10, 2023
BY CHRIS DEVILLE

They didn’t have to do this. They’re the Rolling Stones. They need no excuse to tour stadiums. Their discography was not missing one last piece. In 2023 — two years after the death of founding drummer Charlie Watts, seven years after their last album, 18 years after their last collection of original songs, and 61 years after they formed the band — there was no pressing need for a new LP. The only reason for Mick and Keef and Ronnie to make Hackney Diamonds is because they wanted to.

I’m glad they did it. Hackney Diamonds is good. It’s not going to stand as some brilliant new chapter in the band’s catalog a la Dylan’s Rough And Rowdy Ways, but an album that could have been a disaster and an embarrassment is instead genuinely enjoyable. I can even imagine playing it around the house or in the car when not being paid to write about it. If some group of 20-year-old Stones fans made this record, we might be praising them as rock ‘n’ roll’s last great hope. Instead, Hackney Diamonds stands as proof that 80-year-old rock heroes can still convincingly pull off the style they invented, that they can still pump vitality into the same trusty formulas they perfected decades ago. If it’s the last Rolling Stones album, they’re going out with their dignity intact.
It makes sense to be skeptical of another classic rock act employing Andrew Watt, the pop-rap producer and close Post Malone collaborator who has carved out a lucrative side hustle working with esteemed veterans like Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop, and Pearl Jam. I have liked some of Watt’s work with pantheon-level rockers — that Iggy album had some jams — but he does have a tendency to make everything sound a bit too pro, too studio-clean, as if rock music is happening inside plastic packaging. Do I wish they could recapture the energy and textures they caught on tape at Muscle Shoals in 1969? Sure, but any Stones album this late into their too-big-to-fail multinational-corporation era was going to sound more polished than raw. Hackney Diamonds succeeds in conveying much of the old grit and swagger within the inevitable gloss.

In fact, the songs Watt co-wrote with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are some of my favorites on the album. The Stones must feel the same way because they’ve lined them up one-two-three at the start of the tracklist. Opener and lead single “Angry” saunters out of the gate with big “Start Me Up” energy, the kind of cocksure chord riff Richards made famous, and a startlingly effective hook from Jagger: “Don’t be angry with me!” It’s a solid start, and “Get Close” is even better. The track triangulates the distance between “Sway” and “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” with a hip-swinging mid-tempo beat and a saucy two-chord riff spiked with melancholia. Yeah, the liquid guitar tone makes the song sound more expensive than I’d prefer, but when that sax solo hits on the bridge, the feeling is damn near euphoric. Completing the opening trilogy, ballad “Depending On You” boasts country-fried lead guitar, another memorable chorus, and a Jagger lyric that could work as a thesis statement for the late-era Stones: “Now I’m too young for dying and too old to lose.”

From there, it’s a lot more familiar tropes jolted back to life. “Bite My Head Off,” though leaning a bit too hard on dog-related wordplay, is a hard, fast rocker that gives those old twangy vocal harmonies the chance to shine — plus it’s cool to know that old rival Paul McCartney is holding it down on bass. “Live By The Sword” is a piano-rocker built for the honky-tonk, and (again with the bassists) the return of Bill Wyman is a nice touch. The requisite Richards track “Tell Me Straight” is pleasingly smooth and cooled-off but with bite, as if boomeranging back to the Stones from the deeper recesses of Wilco’s Being There. And “Mess It Up,” although edging closer to corny than anything else here, in the end makes good use of both a gospel choir and a disco beat. (“You think I’d mess it up, mess it up, mess it up all for you?” Jagger sings to an aspiring mistress who, per the lyrics, seduced his landlord and broke into his residence. We know it’s fiction because there’s no way Jagger rents any of his many homes.)

There are some replacement-level rockers along the way, and as several of the lesser songs pile up near the middle of the album, it becomes clear how easily this project can topple over into corporate-retreat bar-band territory. But on the whole, the Stones keep up the momentum, and their signature moves still connect. Jagger’s grizzled howl sounds as strong as ever at age 80, and his lyrics, for the most part, mirror the simple, direct relatability of the Stones’ music. Richards can still wring fresh life out of his well-worn rhythm guitar playbook more than six decades in. Charlie Watts’ handpicked successor Steve Jordan acquits himself as expected. It would be nice if superstar guest instrumentalists like Elton John and Stevie Wonder were given a brighter spotlight rather than folded into the mix, but it’s not like their presence on the album is a make-or-break factor.

Hackney Diamonds ends with a grand finale and a lovely little denouement. First, the finale: “Sweet Sounds Of Heaven,” the gospel-rock epic that brings a wailing Lady Gaga into the Rolling Stones universe, channels bits of “Gimme Shelter” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” but mostly stands as its own thing, one last horizon-scale showstopper from one of the last truly iconic rock ‘n’ roll bands standing. When that brass section comes blaring in at the end, the guitars start to properly crunch, and Jordan bashes the shit out of his cymbals, any ambivalence about loving a Stones-Gaga song in 2023 evaporates, replaced by a simple gratitude that they’re still with us.

Then, when the dust clears, we’re left with a sparse acoustic cover of Muddy Waters’ “Rolling Stone Blues,” peppered with harmonica and rendered in lower fidelity than the rest of the tracks. It’s a full-circle moment that works as an epilogue for both the album and the Rolling Stones as a whole — one more homage to their influences that doubles as one more act of self-mythology. Hackney Diamonds doesn’t add much to that mythology, but it reminds us that behind the layers of nostalgia and the bloated business operation, the rock band that earned that mythic stature remains.

Posted by: gcarneiro ()
Date: October 10, 2023 23:35

jackflash27
VoodooLounge13
tiffanyblu
ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13

I dig Keith's tunes but I gotta agree with you when it comes to Driving Too Fast. If I had my way, I'd take out Oh No Not You Again, Dangerous Beauty, Look What the Cat Dragged In and Driving Too Fast. It's funny, though, that everybody's got their own take on it and pick and choose which ones they wanna keep on the record. Maybe that's for the best that they've done it that way. The more, the merrier, am I right? Well, not always. After all, you can't always get what you want. They could work out a way to release tunes without bloating the package. Like the two albums situation we got going on. Got piles of material? Release 'em separately. Or you know, bonus tracks, deluxe edition, all that jazz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-10 23:39 by gcarneiro.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 11, 2023 00:47

I avoid critics nowadays. My own experience with music is all I need.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 11, 2023 02:05

After reading all the reviews it seems like after one critic submits their review, the rest copy that review, or someone writes a template that they all pull from, because they all start to read the same.

Pretty much all the reviews quote the same lyrics to the songs they’re reviewing, compare Angry to Start Me Up, talk about McCartney’s bass solo, “play it Paul”.

At least one reviewer was honest “I may play the album again when I’m not paid to listen to it”, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 02:12 by CamRS.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 11, 2023 02:28

IrelandCalling4
Very same as yourself Gerard (some Irish connection?). I know we are super fans here, and are likely to find the gold in even the most maligned of albums, but they are my favourite act simply as I do enjoy or love almost every album.

Satanic I've always loved; musically rich and varied. Not deluded enough to place it as a misunderstood classic: however, it is one I have been revisiting and enjoying for 30 years now.

Ditto Dirty Work - the great divider. Hailed by some as the great emancipator (breaking free of critical consensus to declare an almost contrarian undying love of this opus!). I wouldn't see it in those grand terms, but it is a record where at least 5 of its tracks are very good, even moments of the old greatness.

Hackney Diamonds will be praised. IF it turns out to be the last album, its sheen will remain as it will suit the 3rd act narrative- "years in the recorded wilderness, but they finished on form". The die hard will be the ones who keep revisiting, who discuss for years after, no different to Voodoo, Babylon or ABB.

I have expectation this will be a high quality album. Likely will surpass ABB, and hopefully equals or even betters Wheels & Babylon (Steel Wheels is one of the main latter day records I've come to really love over the years).

Whatever the critics say, it is a wonderful time to be a fan - a brand new album in just under 2 weeks, possible live dates 2024. Sixty years after their first single. Long Live the Stones! smiling smiley

Yes indeed A Chara. A very definite Irish connection.

Again, totally agree with your overall points. It IS a great time to be a fan. I always remember my late father, God bless him, telling me in 1965 that The Stones were just 'a flash in the pan' and destined for early oblivion.

He got virtually everything else right in his life, did my dad. But this is the one thing he got completely wrong.

Date: October 11, 2023 16:01

jackflash27
VoodooLounge13
tiffanyblu
ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13

I went the same route. I had not listened to ABB in ages. Same issue here: it is too long. Like Voodoo Lounge; like many CD era albums. Seems this is another plus (hopefully) of HD; that it doesn't feature endless tracks.
I also found ABB with ..okay songs. But it almost shocking how bad the album was recorded and mastered. It all comes off like Jagger at home, a Pro Tools set-up, and a bunch of demos done in a week.
I like the first half of the album. From Rough Justice all the wAy to She Saw Me Coming - it is all very good. Second half of the album goes down the crapper. I know I am in the minority here, but "laugh I Nearly Died" may be my least favorite on the album. Lyrically, and musically it is decent, but it is so Jagger-by-numbers. He has doen this type of song too many times IMO.
This album would have been great on stage. With the guitar players getting a feel for the songs. I remember hearing 'Streets of Love' live, and it was a million times better.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 11, 2023 17:25

C'mon! Is it really 9 more days? angry smiley

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 11, 2023 17:26

LeonidP

Yes!! ONLY 9 more days!!

Date: October 11, 2023 18:36

Nice review in London's Evening Standard.

"It’s absurd to talk about this first studio album since 2005’s A Bigger Bang as a return to form, or indulge in all that ‘the best album since Exile…’ stuff. This is basically another record of them doing what they have always done, it’s simply that this is a particularly excellent set of songs which have a certain down and dirty rage that feels perfect right now... What’s great about Hackney Diamonds is that the Stones manage to reflect on their original spirit as well as actually deliver on the rock ‘n’ roll itself."

[www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 11, 2023 19:30

CJFP
LeonidP

Yes!! ONLY 9 more days!!

I keep thinking ... what if i die before then? Sudden heart attack, or car crash!! scary!

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 11, 2023 20:12

Audacy broadcast and internet radio platform will air a Mick interview tomorrow, October 12 at 12PM ET.

Join us for an Audacy Check In with The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger

Thursday, October 12 at 12PM ET / 9AM PT

[www.audacy.com]

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 11, 2023 20:17

Don’t know if anyone here listened to Howard Stern’s interview with Keith, but they played brief snippets of Rollin Stone and Live by the Sword. Wow, their rendition or Rollin Stone gave me the chills. Really looking forward to hearing the full song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 20:17 by CamRS.

Date: October 11, 2023 21:15

CamRS
Don’t know if anyone here listened to Howard Stern’s interview with Keith, but they played brief snippets of Rollin Stone and Live by the Sword. Wow, their rendition or Rollin Stone gave me the chills. Really looking forward to hearing the full song.

It's in the Howard Stern-thread.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 11, 2023 21:15

I am 76 years old, and Stones fan since 1963.
I had and brain attack 2 years ago, fortunately I have recovered well from it so far. I also enjoy life more now, I appreciate it more. It's a gift that I was able to experience this from the Rolling Stones. 80 years old and still so much energy and guitars and voice. His voice fits so much into the 60s, unbelievable, I never cared about lyrics or key G or comparison with previous songs, For me it was all about the feeling and emotion. The urge to just listen back again and again, that's the magic. Just enjoying it. And that they even almost have a 2nd album ready to go. I can't wait until the 20th.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 21:19

LeonidP
CJFP
LeonidP

Yes!! ONLY 9 more days!!

I keep thinking ... what if i die before then? Sudden heart attack, or car crash!! scary!

Look on the bright side Leonid...if you've been a good boy, you may be able to hear those sweet sounds in heaven before the rest of us cool smiley

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 21:55

Idorh
I had and brain attack 2 years ago, fortunately I have recovered well from it so far. I also enjoy life more now, I appreciate it more. It's a gift that I was able to experience this from the Rolling Stones. 80 years old and still so much energy and guitars and voice. His voice fits so much into the 60s, unbelievable, I never cared about lyrics or key G or comparison with previous songs, For me it was all about the feeling and emotion. The urge to just listen back again and again, that's the magic. Just enjoying it. And that they even almost have a 2nd album ready to go. I can't wait until the 20th.

Also waiting for the 20th with enthusiasm.. And same, always about how the music made me feel! .. When I first found this site I was jazzed cuz, ya know, more people like me, right? Boy oh boy there is some negativity on here, I stay focused on “tour info” “release info” and a few people here I enjoy reading.. Glad yer around to hear the new stuff! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 21:56 by snoopy2.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:15

Idorh

You are a wise man.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:13

MKjan
Idorh

You are a wise man.

My wife doesn't think so.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:18

I just got an email from Amazon US that my order for the HD CD will not be delivered until Nov 27th. WTF? Anybody else have this problem? Is demand so great that they cannot build enough inventory in time for Oct 20??

HBK

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:28

on a side note (but not so aside): I hope all the posters that got banned recently are back in time to share views and reviews of the new album

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:31

maumau
on a side note (but not so aside): I hope all the posters that got banned recently are back in time to share views and reviews of the new album

Why were people banned?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...116117118119120121122123124125126...LastNext
Current Page: 121 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home