Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...111112113114115116117118119120121...LastNext
Current Page: 116 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 3, 2023 00:28

Paul Smith ltd edition vinyl and tees coming

[www.paulsmith.com]

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 3, 2023 00:45

it sums 42 variants in vinyl till now:

Blue by Universal
Green by Amazon
Transparent by roughtrade
Carnaby's Red
Red by Fnac
Fiusha jpc.de
Purple by Target
Internacional Black
Picture Disc by Official Store
White by MLB/rs.com (30 different covers/team)
Picture Disc by Blood Records
Paul Smith exclusive
Japanese with OBI

CD
CD digipack
Cd+ Bluray
CD Japan + Living in A Ghost Town
CD Japan digipack +Living in A Ghost Town
Cd+Bluray Japam +Living in A Ghost Town

Angry cd
Angry 7" Red
Angry 10" Black

Sweet Sounds of Heaven cd
Sweet Sounds of Heaven 10" Black

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2023 01:15

Not to forget the Japanese SHM-CD (UICY-5138) of the 'Angry' single - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

And the Japanese SHM-CD (UICY-5139) of the 'Sweet Sounds of Heaven' single - with 2 tracks (Japanese bonus) - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

And the Barnes & Noble Exclusive Digipack CD of 'Hackney Diamonds' - [www.BarnesAndNoble.com] .

And the Paul Smith Vinyl - [iorr.org] .

And the KidSuper CD & Cassette - [iorr.org] .

And the unique copy of the Japanese LP signed by Mick, Keith & Ronnie - [iorr.org] , [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-16 12:05 by Irix.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 3, 2023 04:16

smoking smiley

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 3, 2023 11:39

Now also as limited CD, Blu-ray with Lenticular Cover

[www.jpc.de]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2023 11:45

BlueTurns2Grey

Wasn't this already 'available' since 6-Sep-2023?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 3, 2023 20:20

Irix
BlueTurns2Grey

Indeed noting new, as prorder i got mine from FNAC France, the cheapest and they deliver 20-10-2023.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 3, 2023 22:49

Irix
BlueTurns2Grey

It was available as a box-set with the 64 page book and and German lithograph, no ? Also for 59.99€ oddly, ah no for 69.99€ but that still sounds like a better deal than this one.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 4, 2023 08:55

This is the longest 2 weeks ever.
Been waiting 18 years but these last few days are feeling so far away

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 09:49

gotdablouse
Irix
BlueTurns2Grey

It was available as a box-set with the 64 page book and and German lithograph, no ? Also for 59.99€ oddly, ah no for 69.99€ but that still sounds like a better deal than this one.

Should be the same Box Set. I preordered it in Amazon for 59.99€ with BD, 60 page book and Lenticular Cover.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 4, 2023 10:01

Deathgod

I do agree. The press conference with Jimmy Fallon does seem like an eternity ago. The two singles, Angry, and Sweet Taste of Heaven, have get us going, at least. Like you, I am sure, I'm just itching to hear the new album. I'm still unsure whether I will be disciplined enough to listen to Hackney Diamonds in it's entirety, in correct running-order, or whether I'll be impatient, finding myself skipping through tracks. We'll see!

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 10:53

Big Al
Deathgod

I do agree. The press conference with Jimmy Fallon does seem like an eternity ago. The two singles, Angry, and Sweet Taste of Heaven, have get us going, at least. Like you, I am sure, I'm just itching to hear the new album. I'm still unsure whether I will be disciplined enough to listen to Hackney Diamonds in it's entirety, in correct running-order, or whether I'll be impatient, finding myself skipping through tracks. We'll see!

I too must agree. It seems the more we anticipate something, the slower time goes by in its approach. Yet it's the opposite for occasions we dread, such as a dental appointment or some such thing - those dates seem to arrive in no time at all!

So much to look forward to with this new album. Not sure either if I will pick and choose the tracks to play upon the first listen. I may just let it play in order. But I am also curious to see if any of those older internet teasers, such as "Really Wanna Tell The Truth", may have made it to the album under an alternate title.

There's an old saying: how long is a minute, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on. grinning smiley

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-04 10:54 by sf37.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 12:43

At least we CAN say that we’re getting a NEW Stones album THIS MONTH!!

Rod

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 5, 2023 13:24

Tower Records Tokyo Japan Stones promotion as per today:

Bjornulf

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 5, 2023 15:08

Topi
Sounds like we all now like Andrew Watt! winking smiley

It least, it seems like the story(?)/speculation that Keith was not fond of having him involved were simply wrong.

Posted by: polandstones ()
Date: October 5, 2023 15:37

Is there a planned any event on the premiere day in NYC?

Hackney Diamonds - Third single?
Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: October 5, 2023 15:54

Any word yet?

Cheerio

---
5 Strings, 2 Hands, 1 A*****e

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 5, 2023 16:04

doitywoik
Topi

It least, it seems like the story(?)/speculation that Keith was not fond of having him involved were simply wrong.

Hairball liked that story so much...

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: October 5, 2023 19:19

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-05 19:27 by mikehat.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2023 21:31

Topi
doitywoik
Topi

Hairball liked that story so much...

Well, the anti-Mick conspiracy theorists could easily explain this as Mick's clever plot to make Keith to act according his wishes, something Keith has refused to do for years. Watt charmed Keith, kissed his ass and everything, to get him to say yes to everything... The result is that we have a Mick-dominated album, something that might have done already in 2015 if not Keith had been so much against it...

What I have learned indirectly from all this anti-Mick crowd here is that Keith Richards is so powerless, almost pathetic figure who has no any actual control over the Stones doings. If he just would have his will through, The Stones would be so much better, something like The Winos, the real greatest rock and roll band of the world. It's just that big bad Jagger who controls and decides everything, and make every Stones product sound like his solo record. Poor Keith just has to agree with everything to keep the Stones going on somehow, although deep in his heart - these people have a direct access there - he doesn't endorse anything the Stones do. If it would be up to him, The Stones would sound like The Winos and play in small clubs for real fans. With different setlists every night. Yep.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-05 21:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 5, 2023 21:36

Reviews of the entire album will be hitting the wires tomorrow (maybe later today depending on where you live). Just FYI in case you weren't aware.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: October 5, 2023 21:43

Before assuming anymore, I better put down my glass...

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 5, 2023 22:08

Is it true that it has leaked????

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2023 22:11

leaked!!! in that case skytrench should get a new glass

ROCKMAN

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 5, 2023 22:15

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 11:32 by vudicus.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2023 22:32

I've reading reviews of it already for ages. The consensus seems to be that it is "best since SOME GIRLS". Although one even claimed "since EXILE" and one 'only' (bloody Finnish newspaper) "since VOODOO LOUNGE"...

Whatever. Stubborn, omnipotent and egoist as I am, I only trust my very own ears to make any judgments about the bloody thing..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-05 22:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 6, 2023 01:26

"So much fun chatting with Keith Richards today at @electricladystudios about the forthcoming Rolling Stones album, Hackney Diamonds - their first of original songs in 18 years! You can see our chat 10/15 on @cbssundaymorning"

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 6, 2023 03:14

Doxa
I've reading reviews of it already for ages. The consensus seems to be that it is "best since SOME GIRLS". Although one even claimed "since EXILE" and one 'only' (bloody Finnish newspaper) "since VOODOO LOUNGE"...

Whatever. Stubborn, omnipotent and egoist as I am, I only trust my very own ears to make any judgments about the bloody thing..

- Doxa

I think at the moment it is certainly safe to say it is the best Stones album since Blue & Lonesome ... winking smiley

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 6, 2023 03:51

Rolling Stones: Hackney Diamonds – These stone-cold crackers are the band’s best songs in decades

Review: No one expects the band’s quality control to scale the heights of yesteryear, but this collection is more than a pleasant surprise

Tony Clayton-Lea
Fri Oct 6 2023

4/5 stars

It helps that Angry, the first track on the first album of original material by the Rolling Stones since A Bigger Bang, from 2005, is a certifiable swaggerer of a song. It has a riff that sounds like a disreputable cousin of Start Me Up and a filthy guitar solo that makes you wonder how Keith Richards’s fingers are still able to move so quickly. The second track, Close to You, also sticks closely to the winning blueprint the band virtually patented from the mid-1960s onwards.

There is more. The superior blues-rock vibe of Depending on You sounds like something Hozier would cut his hair off for. Bite My Head Off (featuring crunchy fuzzbox bass by Paul McCartney plus another rippling guitar solo by Richards) is an urgent, sweary track that might have you absent-mindedly reaching for a bottle of beer before your morning coffee.

Dreamy Skies is straight out of their folder of broken-down-pick-up country songs (“an old AM radio is all that I’ve got, it just plays Hank Williamsand some bad honky-tonk …”), while Driving Me Too Hard is embedded in that eminently melodic configuration of effortless guitar solos and she-done-me-wrong lyrics (“every time I give a little bit, you muscle in and take it all”) that are the band’s lingua franca.

Who would have thought that musicians who have so trashed their laurels would return after almost 20 years with such a (mostly) healthy and ill-mannered collection of songs? The Holy Grail for musicians, of course, is that they continue to do in their 60s, 70s and 80s what they were doing in their 20s and 30s.

No one expects the Stones’ quality control to reach the same heights as in their heyday (fans have felt the bruise of disappointment far too often for that), and, true to form, a few songs here are run of the mill – Mess It Up and Live by the Sword, both from 2019 sessions with the band’s late original drummer, Charlie Watts, and Tell Me Straight, the obligatory album offering from Richards.

But when you add the aforementioned stone-cold Stones crackers to Sweet Sounds of Heaven, an extemporised, exultant and drawn-out gospel tune featuring Lady Gaga duelling with Mick Jagger, you have a batch of songs that are the best the band has delivered in decades.

“You think the party’s over but it’s only just begun,” Jagger sings on Whole Wide World. We’re not saying the party will continue for much longer, but it looks as if the Rolling Stones won’t leave until they’re kicked out.

[www.irishtimes.com]

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 6, 2023 03:57

Rolling Stones Bring Best Album in 40 Years with Hit Filled “Hackney Diamonds” Rock and Roll Revival for Maybe One Last Time

by Roger Friedman - October 5, 2023

Mark Seliger

It took the Rolling Stones 17 years to put together “Hackney Diamonds,” their first album of all new original material since the not great “A Bigger Bang” in 2005.

The new album releases October 20th but the Stones know they’ve got something special. In an unusual move they’re letting reviews break two weeks early.

It’s all good news, “Hackney Diamonds” is their best album since “Tattoo You” in 1981, by far. It’s leaps and bounds beyond the half dozen albums that followed like “Steel Wheels” and “Dirty Work” and “Bridges to Babylon.” Most of the songs from those records are forgotten, not even included in the Stones’ live sets except for a handful (like “Rock in a Hard Place” or “You Got Me Rocking.”)

Every song on “Hackney” is a hit starting with its two launch singles, the clarion call cousin to “Start Me Up called “Angry,” and “Sweet Sounds of Heaven,” which features Lady Gaga. The group knows what an extraordinary collection this is, too: they’re allowing reviews two weeks before release. This is unprecedented.

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been listening over and over again to this rock revival produced by Andrew Watt as Mick, Keith, and Ronnie — with special guests like Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Charlie Watts (joining in from heaven). and Bill Wyman– simply have discovered the fountain of youth. The songs have echoes of their greatest hits but still sound fresh as ever. You can’t imagine a current band with this kind of energy, skill, and insight.

The lyrics tell the story of men who have unaccountably — after a wild shared journey — walked upright into their 80s looking forward but contemplating what’s behind them. Jagger sings the central theme of the album in the chugging second track, called “Get Close,” He declares, “I walk the city at midnight with the past strapped to my back.” And doesn’t he? And Richards? After 60 years the past is most certainly strapped to their backs.

The songwriting duo even become romantic poets in the magnificent “Depending On You”

Your fingerprints in the dark, your past and present tangled up in my arms
Our secrets sealed in our scars, sharing a smoke on the steps of a bar.

Are we turning into Bob Dylan here?

The album is a mix of pop, blues and out and out rock. I defy any current band to match the ferocious mix of heart thumping rock and blues of “Bite off My Head” featuring their frenemy Paul McCartney blasting away on bass, for old times. The track rips through the album. I was thinking if they perform this on stage as recorded, they’ll all have heart attacks!

Maybe my favorite track right is “Whole Wide World,” which sounds like a hit single (if any radio station would try it– they’re too regimented now to acknowledge this is the best record out.)

Again Jagger and Richards are touring their shared journeys as young men of mayhem:

The streets I used to walk on, are full of broken glass
And everywhere I’m looking, there’s memories of my past
The filthy flat in Fulham, the smell of sex and glass
I never ever really knew, where I was sleeping next

The smell of sex and gas? Navigating the streets of broken glass? You wonder if they all drank Ayahuasca before they set pen to paper.

It’s not all nostalgia. Modern times creep in to “Mess it Up” when Jagger sings:

You stole my numbers. you stole my codes
You took my keys and then you nicked my phone
Seduced my landlord, broke in my home
Don’t get excited, why don’t ya leave alone

Of course, no Stones collection is complete without a spotlight on Richards. He has one of his best vocals ever in “Tell Me Straight” maybe because he finally gave up smoking. It’s accompanied by a lovely guitar solo that makes for a sharply perfect heartbreaking three minute ode of love and loss.

The album soars until it crescendos in the masterwork seven minute and twenty two second gospel number “Sweet Smell of Heaven” with Lady Gaga doing her best Merry Clayton “Gimme Shelter” counterpoint to Jagger, sending shivers up the spine. Jagger and Gaga sing, euphorically: Let the music play loud, let it burst through the clouds. They sure do, and while Gaga is the perfect spice for this meal, it’s Jagger who really bursts through the reverie. The seven minutes fly by.

It’s only fitting that what could be the final Rolling Stones ends with a capper: Muddy Waters‘ “Rolling Stone Blues.” That’s where it all started for them, singing homages to great blues musician.That they never recorded this one is surprising. It’s where they got their name. Knowing Keith Richards, he probably always saved it so Jagger’s last words on Rolling Stones record would be these:

Well my mother told my father just before I was born
She said “I got a boy child coming, he’s gonna be, he’s gonna be a rolling stone

And so he was, all of them were, thank god.

The craziest thing about “Hackney Diamonds”? You know the band can’t wait to play it live. They could do it from beginning to end in the middle of their show, bookended by hits, and everyone would be happy. These songs demand to be heard that way– and I’ll be they will be. As Jagger sings in “Depending on You”: I’m too young for dying and too old to lose.

Exactly.

[www.showbiz411.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...111112113114115116117118119120121...LastNext
Current Page: 116 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home