Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 27, 2023 06:05

CJFP
doitywoik
If not on Hackney Diamonds, maybe of the follow-up album.
I don't think I can mentally handle any more album teasing from this band after the past several years haha

Since according to Mick, about two thirds or so are already in the can, it will hopefully take less than 700+ pages in the next new album thread until we get it.

Thinking of it, we could actually open the next new album thread right away, kind of a warm-up ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 27, 2023 07:48

VoodooLounge13
jackflash27
VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
Poor collectors of vinyl winking smiley

MLB Presents… limited edition vinyl of new album Hackney Diamonds. Featuring custom art for each of the 30 MLB Clubs pressed on baseball white vinyl. Collect your favourite team today:

[therollingstonesshop.com]

Sooooooooooo...does this mean a baseball tour next spring? Can't really see that with the time between gigs.

Also feel bad for the completists!! That's another 30 records y'all need to buy! LOL

This is horror for vinyl completists. Especially when you live outside the US (limited to US residents only). I can imagine some European collectors are dying to spend over 11000 dollars on the 30 different 'extremely limitited' versions, but can't figure out how to order (only limited to US residents). Must be hell.

It's only $1,140 - not $11,000 - for a complete set.

Yes, ONLY $1140 !!

Rod

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 27, 2023 08:21

Irix
Topi

And here: [iorr.org]

But not in the original layout (plus all pictures).

Of course not.

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: September 27, 2023 12:44

Does anyone think we'll get a third single ?

---
5 Strings, 2 Hands, 1 A*****e

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 27, 2023 12:48

DeeGee

I'd imagine so, as it's fairly typical for three album tracks to be released as singles, isn't it?

Date: September 27, 2023 13:16

Big Al
DeeGee

I'd imagine so, as it's fairly typical for three album tracks to be released as singles, isn't it?

Before the album itself is released?

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: September 27, 2023 13:18

doitywoik
Big Al
DeeGee

Yeah, before it's released I meant ofcourse

---
5 Strings, 2 Hands, 1 A*****e

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 27, 2023 14:20

SHM-CD (+BR) with Japanese bonus track also on [www.Amazon.it] , [www.Amazon.es] , [www.Amazon.nl], [www.Amazon.pl] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 27, 2023 14:26

doitywoik
Big Al
DeeGee

Well, no. That's not typical. I would imagine we'll get a third, and final single, sometime after the release. Then again, maybe not. Would there be a point? A unique B-side might entice a few of us here, I suppose.

Date: September 27, 2023 15:03

Big Al
doitywoik
Big Al
DeeGee

Well, no. That's not typical. I would imagine we'll get a third, and final single, sometime after the release. Then again, maybe not. Would there be a point? A unique B-side might entice a few of us here, I suppose.

It's fairly typical, in the streaming age. However, it's certainly not typical for the Stones smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 27, 2023 18:12

Hasn't Peter Gabriel released like 4 or 5 singles since the beginning of the year ? With alternate mixes too ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 27, 2023 18:20

gotdablouse

Hasn't Peter Gabriel released like 4 or 5 singles since the beginning of the year ?

Yes - but there's still no i/o album .... insofar it's not comparable.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 27, 2023 18:31

Big Al
doitywoik
Big Al
DeeGee

I suppose the point of the third single woulbe be, like with other singles, to boost the sales of the album. That of it selling itself that much, or entering the charts, probably doesn't matter that much to them.

I think that of releasing the singles not on Friday, but one or two days earlier, indicates they don't care that much about chartings (since they a day or two is already lost of of the first whole week sales). Probably they think the songs will get more media attention when there is not that many other products out.

- Doxa

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 27, 2023 21:44

London, September 6 (Dave Hogan)

It looks like the Rolling Stones are trying to manipulate the US album charts. Here’s how.

September 27, 2023
Alan Cross

The Rolling Stones may never release another album of new material after Hackney Diamonds so they’re looking for a bigger bang than usual with its release. The band has teamed up with Major League Baseball by releasing a vinyl version of the album. Actually, multiple versions.

Fans can go to RollingStones.com to purchase limited editions of the album featuring artwork dedicated to each MLB teams. That means 30 different records. The project, known as Hackney Diamonds X MLB, will be released on October 20.

Well, so what? By juicing fan interest and getting hardcore Stones fans to buy multiple versions of the same album, the record’s chart position will be inflated. And because pre-sales are happening now, all those purchases will be held back until the first week of sales reporting for the album.

Hackney Diamonds has already been available for pre-sale, so presumably sales are already stacking up If a significant number of people purchase all (or even some) the MLB versions over the next three-ish weeks combined with the other six-ish weeks of pre-sales, this could make for a very big first-week number–and mostly likely a #1 debut.

This kind of marketing is, as far as I know, doesn’t break any rules when it comes to compiling the Billboard Top 200 chart. Other artists have had similar record-stuffing schemes. It’s clever, but it does have a big downside.

Pre-sales will only figure into chart position for the first week the album is one sale. If everyone who wants Hackney Diamonds buys it upfront, there will be few people to buy it in weeks, two, three, four, and so on. That means that while it could debut at #1, it will probably fall dozens of positions in its second week.

Still, a #1 debut is something to brag about, so…

[www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 27, 2023 22:21

A good article. It is funny how much "number one" still means to old artists like the Stones. A kind of magical thing, a sign of status or something. Looks good, no matter how it was achieved, or how quickly the album will be vanish from the charts after that one peak week. Once a pop star chasing number ones, always a pop star chasing number ones... Macca told us proudly a couple of years ago that he made the deal with Taylor Swift, like he once did with the Stones, that their releases do not clash, in order to both reach number one (I was like: are you dude serious?!). .. Or when the reissue of EXILE made number one in UK, the band held a private party for that. It seemingly means a lot.

Financially thinking, probably the number one slot gives the album a bit more spotlight and free advertisement - and thereby helps to sell some more extra copies.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-27 22:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 27, 2023 23:29

georgemcdonnell314
It will be a great album. They know it.

We should believe in them. They want the end of their career to be as great as their start.

Another album to follow next year with a tour in Europe.

Are you serious? The new album is not even released yet and you are already on about the NEXT album. Have some perspective for pity's sake. The most likely scenario is that The Stones will tour behind Hackney Diamonds next year, health and age permitting. Given their massive fan base they may tour on two continents if at all possible. They will also want to give Hackney Diamonds a bit of breathing space in the marketplace.

Apart from the work involved in making another album, it makes no sense commercially to have too many new Rolling Stones albums out there competing with each other for attention. Yes I know that The Stones recorded several tracks that were not used on Hackney Diamonds. Perhaps they did not consider them good enough to release? Perhaps they want to hang on to them for a de-luxe version of Hackney Diamonds in the future? Perhaps they require much more work before they become usable? We cannot assume the existence of those tracks is some kind of guarantee they can, or will, become another new Stones album sometime in the future.

Let us be grateful for what we are getting at long last. And let us not lose the plot totally about further new material in the near future.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 27, 2023 23:33

GerardHennessy
georgemcdonnell314

We should believe in them. They want the end of their career to be as great as their start.

Are you serious? The new album is not even released yet and you are already on about the NEXT album. Have some perspective for pity's sake. The most likely scenario is that The Stones will tour behind Hackney Diamonds next year, health and age permitting. Given their massive fan base they may tour on two continents if at all possible. They will also want to give Hackney Diamonds a bit of breathing space in the marketplace.

Apart from the work involved in making another album, it makes no sense commercially to have too many new Rolling Stones albums out there competing with each other for attention. Yes I know that The Stones recorded several tracks that were not used on Hackney Diamonds. Perhaps they did not consider them good enough to release? Perhaps they want to hang on to them for a de-luxe version of Hackney Diamonds in the future? Perhaps they require much more work before they become usable? We cannot assume the existence of those tracks is some kind of guarantee they can, or will, become another new Stones album sometime in the future.

Let us be grateful for what we are getting at long last. And let us not lose the plot totally about further new material in the near future.

Why don't you believe what Mick says? He said in several interviews now that HD isn't their last and that they are already 3/4 through the next one. So it's really not impossible at all that the follow up album will come in the near future, maybe 2025 before the Europe tour, who knows...

Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: September 28, 2023 04:55

keefgotsoul
Keith could bring out the see-through Dan Armstrong guitar he played at Marquee 1971! It almost looks like it’s made out of glass.

I was kinda right about this.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 28, 2023 05:23

StonedRambler
GerardHennessy
georgemcdonnell314

Why don't you believe what Mick says? He said in several interviews now that HD isn't their last and that they are already 3/4 through the next one. So it's really not impossible at all that the follow up album will come in the near future, maybe 2025 before the Europe tour, who knows...

Perhaps Mick wasn't so up back in 2018-19 about doing more than one more new album but something changed. Maybe it was Steve Jordan showing they can continue. Maybe it was Keith telling Mick similar. Or vice versa. Maybe it was having a new producer that was engaged in who they are now and interested in how good they could be now instead of 'Oh wow, man, you've got like three EXILEs worth of material, man, so let's do EXILE again, man'.

But Mick is clearly interested in continuing.

I don’t think it’s the last Rolling Stones album. We’ve got almost three-quarters through the next one... There’s a few tracks that we didn’t release that perhaps were a little bit more (sounds and styles) that you’ve never heard the Stones do before.

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: September 28, 2023 14:23

German news magazine Der Spiegel has a piece on the Stones and Hackney Diamonds (unfortunately paywalled):
[www.spiegel.de]

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: September 28, 2023 17:25

I am a huge Rolling Stones fan, a huge baseball fan (Detroit Tigers, specifically) and a devoted vinyl collector. With all of that said, I could not be less interested in a Stones/MLB crossover and the whole thing strikes me as somewhat odd but I guess the old, white guy baseball fan demographic must crossover with the Stones demographic a fair bit. If only they could have involved craft beer somehow...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 28, 2023 18:18

doitywoik
German news magazine Der Spiegel has a piece on the Stones and Hackney Diamonds (unfortunately paywalled):
[www.spiegel.de]

There you go [archive.ph] ;-)

...and translated :

Not sure if it's typical of Der Spiegel but the guy is not driking the Kool-Aid and shares some interesting insight, not seen elsewhere, like the size of the suites ;-)

Sometimes the big truths are very simple. Ron Wood, 75, guitarist of the British rock band The Rolling Stones, sits in a hotel room in London. He doesn't have much time for the guest from Germany, there's a new album to promote and the whole world has sent journalists to the British capital. Everyone has ten minutes.
Why is there another Stones record? He looks a little incredulous, what a question! Then he says: “We have to spread the message.”
What is the message then?
Another incredulous look: “The band! The message is the band. Nobody has ever done that, the Stones have been around for more than 60 years! I'm so happy we can keep doing this. We’re entering new territory!”
The Rolling Stones do what they do because they still can. At least that would be clarified.
Mick Jagger, 80, and Keith Richards, 79, are also there. The day before, the three of them sat together on the stage of an old theater in the Hackney district; they had invited the American talk show host and Stones fan Jimmy Fallon to talk to them about their new record. It was a fun conversation that was streamed, of course, and the one sentence that stuck was when Fallon asked the band the secret to how they stayed together for so long. Richards murmured, "By not talking to each other too often."
Now they have rented a floor in a luxury hotel. The size of the suites shows something about the hierarchy in the band. Jagger's room is huge; anyone who speaks to him sits a few meters away from him. You could definitely shake hands with Wood during the conversation. Richards' room is somewhere in between in terms of size.
So new territory. Good point. The Beatles are no more, Elvis is dead, the year is 2023, and the Stones have a new record. The work is called “Hackney Diamonds,” which is a London slang term for the shards that lie on the sidewalk after someone breaks a window. A perfect title for a Stones album. London, jewels, gutters: everything that made the band great is there.
Keith Richards am 6. September in London

Enlarge image
Keith Richards am 6. September in London Foto: Toby Melville / REUTERS
»I feel like I'm dreaming it all. I’ve been so lucky, man.”
Keith Richards
"Keith Richards' face says more about the 20th century than any other document," the British historian Simon Schama once said. It was meant admiringly. But now almost a quarter of the 21st century is over. What remains of the rock star, this great figure that the Rolling Stones brought into the world and for whom they designed the eternal code of conduct - make loud music, wear long hair, shock the parents, seduce the daughters, accept no morals? A role that made them rich and famous?
Not all of it has aged equally well.
On the other hand: what a trip. From Dartford, 30 kilometers east of London, to world fame. Through all the ups and downs that being human has in store. The most beautiful women, the hardest drugs, love, addiction, pain, triumph, wealth, loss. And again and again “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”.
Three times ten minutes for the Rolling Stones. That's enough to open the conversation in a good mood and give some information about the new album. And maybe one last question. Nobody is saying that "Hackney Diamonds" will be the last Stones album - but with people in their 80s you should always expect anything. Even if they are as indestructible as Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood.
An album about anger
In fact, the three are remarkably good together. Jagger has the spring in his step and presence of mind of a man who might be 30 years younger. Wood, who started drinking as a teenager and stopped when he was retired, has his wife with him, whom he also introduces to all journalists, the theater producer Sally Humphries, with whom he became the father of twins again in 2016. He has become narrow. And Richards is clearly doing just fine too, the man who has cheated death so often that American talk show host Jay Leno once asked why we can't build airplanes that can endure what Keith Richards can endure.
It was actually supposed to be an album about anger, says Jagger. That was the first idea.
Because we live in angry times?
“I can remember even angrier times,” he says. »But yes, these are angry times. However, I can't remember a time when there wasn't trouble. I'm sure many people are angry at the world today. The world we live in today. Sometimes justifiably, sometimes not.”
However, the concept of anger soon flew out the window. Jagger says he wrote 25 songs. What remains are those who talk about personal relationships.
»Charlie was a big part of my life. We had endless conversations that continue. Charlie is still very much alive in me.”
Keith Richards about his late colleague Charlie Watts
Which could have something to do with the history of the Stones. Because »Hackney Diamonds« is, above all, the first album after the death of Charlie Watts, the band's drummer, who died in August 2021. A man about whom not much was known because he tended to look sideways at the rock 'n' roll lives of his colleagues. He was married to the same woman his whole life and was never a topic for the gossip pages - except once in the 1980s, when he became heavily addicted to heroin for a while. Watts actually came from jazz, always wore tailor-made suits that the men's outfitters on London's Saville Row made for him and was otherwise the calm pole that held the band together, especially the eternally quarreling Jagger and Richards. How to continue if he is missing?
Keith Richards was a close friend of his, and he sighs deeply when asked about Watts. “I'm still working through it. It's not over yet. Charlie was a big part of my life. And the Stones. It's only when someone leaves that you realize how big they actually were. There's a big gap there. I fill it by talking to him." He's talking to a dead person? "Yes. I wonder: What would Charlie think about this or that? We had endless conversations that continue. Charlie is still very much alive in me.”
Interestingly, Watts had taken precautions. Because there was Steve Jordan, 66, a drummer from the USA, formerly the drummer of the band on the television shows “Saturday Night Live” and “Late Night with David Letterman”. “Charlie gave him his blessing,” says Wood. “He said let him play until I get better. And keep him. I want him to be the one holding up the flag. When Charlie died, Steve was already rehearsing with us. We thought to ourselves: Charlie wouldn’t want us to stop now.”
Ronnie Wood, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards at the presentation of the new Stones album "Hackney Diamonds"

Enlarge image
Ronnie Wood, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards at the presentation of the new Stones album "Hackney Diamonds" Foto: David Fisher / Shutterstock
Two of the twelve songs on the new album are pieces on which Watts still drums, Jordan plays on all the others. Jagger says he played alone with Jordan for hours. “Just him and me. I picked up a guitar or the piano and sang my songs - or screamed to him. That's how we got the groove. Getting the bass drum and the words right is very important. The singer always has a close relationship with the drummer. I had this with Charlie and I wanted to fix it now. Steve understands all of that.”
The fact that Charlie Watts is no longer in the band was just one problem and obviously not even the biggest one. The Stones had played together off and on over the past few years - but they never got any further. It was a collection of material, not an album.
Paul McCartney helps
It was Jagger who finally announced a deadline to finally move forward. He wants the record to be recorded between Christmas 2022 and Valentine's Day 2023, which would give him about two months. Wood, for his part, believed that what was needed above all was a referee, someone who would look at the material and help decide what was good and what wasn't.
Ron Wood am 6. September in London

Enlarge image
Ron Wood am 6. September in London Foto: Toby Melville / REUTERS
"If there was no communication between Mick and Keith for a long time, then it would be hard and bitter."
Ron Wood
“I asked Paul McCartney if he knew anyone,” he says. Which is of course its own pop-historical joke. More than half a century after the end of the competition between the two bands, a former Beatle is helping the Stones find the man with whom they can finish their album. McCartney recommends Andrew Watt, 32, an American musician and producer who has worked for Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber and produced the last Iggy Pop album.
That's how it started. In studios in the Bahamas, Paris, New York and Los Angeles.
The end result is a lively mix of songs. "Blue & Lonesome", the band's last album from 2016, was still a very conceptual affair, a record full of blues covers, a visit to the band's roots, to the music that led the Stones to make music themselves . “Hackney Diamonds,” on the other hand, is a wild ride through the band’s history. A timeless rock piece like "Angry", the first single, a blues rock song like "Bite My Head Off", in which, interestingly enough, Paul McCartney appears again, this time on bass.
Video unavailable
This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds
Watch on

Country rock like "Dreamy Skies" or a ballad like "Sweet Sounds of Heaven," which, he says, Jagger wrote with the window open, through which the chirping of birds and the rustling of the trees in the wind came through - and which is what he chose when recording Stevie Wonder sat down at the piano and Lady Gaga sang the background vocals.
And the eternal rivalry between Richards and Jagger? Is she finally buried?
“I was happy to see the two of them together,” says Wood. »If there has been no communication between them for a long time, then things will be hard and bitter. We don't want that. They should work together. I always try to bring them together. And this time, fortunately, there was something in the air between the two of them.

It still won't have been easy. There's a song on the album called "Live by the Sword" that sounds like it's a transcription of what life has taught the Stones. After all, Keith Richards slept with a revolver under his pillow. In his autobiography, he talks about how, during the band's wild years in the 1970s, he scared away party guests who were annoying him by shooting them into the hotel room floor and used the gun several times when buying heroin.
At the wedding of one of his daughters, according to Kate Moss, who was a guest, he chased a man around the house with sabers who had stolen his spring onions in the kitchen. And in 2002, while speaking to SPIEGEL, he pulled a knife with a 20-centimeter-long blade out of his pocket. If he had that with him, he said at the time, he wouldn't need a bodyguard.
Have you lived by the sword? Richards replies rather harshly: »If you want to know anything about the lyrics, ask Mick Jagger. I just do the riffs." He actually says "Mick Jagger." All that's missing is that he puts a "Sir" in front of it.
Jagger, on the other hand, doesn't miss the opportunity to talk about "his" songs. And from “his” album. Some things may never change, and especially not as you get older.
The Jagger/Richards myth
Keith Richards and Mick Jagger are one of the great male couples in Western cultural history, probably only comparable to Ernie and Bert, Marx/Engels, Adorno/Horkheimer and Lennon/McCartney. The story of the two boys, who went to the same primary school and then, as teenagers, recognized each other as like-minded people at Dartford train station by the Chuck Berry record that Keith had under his arm, is one of the great myths of pop. And like all myths, it's all somehow true - that's how it happened, Mick spoke to Keith. But there are also some things missing.
The head of this young group that comes together to escape the rubble of post-war England is someone else: Brian Jones. A gifted musician and complicated guy. Jones plays all sorts of instruments and will do so on the Stones' first albums. Unlike the other members of his future band, he already had three children when he met Jagger and Richards.
But it is Jones who rents the apartment that Jagger, Richards and he fill up in the cold winter of 1963, where they freeze and share a bed. And it is he who gives the band its name. Jones wants her first appearance to be announced and calls an event magazine. When asked what the name of the group that will be playing at the Marquee is, he says: "Rollin' Stones." "Rollin' Stone" was a track on a Muddy Waters record whose cover was on the floor. However, he and Jagger stood aside, Richards remembers in his autobiography. By the way, there is a cover version of the piece on “Hackney Diamonds”. It's the last song on the album.
It is also Jones who brings in Anita Pallenberg, who will become the dark queen of the Rolling Stones. Beautiful, intelligent, fearless. “She made sure it stayed crazy,” as one of the band’s managers later said. However, Richards takes Jones out of it.
Keith Richards, Anita Pallenberg and their son Marlon in 1970

Enlarge image
Keith Richards, Anita Pallenberg and their son Marlon in 1970 Photo: ZUMA / Keystone / IMAGO
Three alpha males were too many for this band. As Jagger and Richards began writing songs together, they began to form a new axis. Jones felt left out. His lifestyle spiraled increasingly out of control, and in the end he had to leave the Stones. He drowned under mysterious circumstances in the swimming pool at his country house. Jones was 27 years old and the first person to die in the “27 Club.” Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin died within two years. Two days after his death, the Stones played the biggest concert of their career to date. In London's Hyde Park, in front of hundreds of thousands of people.
Brian Jones is pretty much forgotten today. Which also has to do with the fact that the most fruitful and crazy phase in the band's history only began when he was no longer there. The crazy years from 1968 to 1972, when the Rolling Stones not only recorded "Beggars Banquet" (still with Jones), but also "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and finally "Exile on Main St." - a crazy drug masterpiece , which the band records in a villa in the south of France, surrounded by groupies, dropped guests, dealers and other ne'er-do-wells. In the end the band has to flee from the police.
One wants to go up, the other wants to go down
The friction that will define the Stones from now on was already apparent back then. Jagger, newly married to Bianca, has made his way up. To the top of society, where the old money is, the noble titles and the expensive wine. He regularly disappears to Paris while working on the songs. He doesn't want to have anything to do with the company that has gathered around the band in the villa. And then there is Richards: the outlaw and eternal rebel. Who looks down on Jagger for his desire to become part of better society. Who goes deeper and deeper into the swamp of his heroin addiction and soon despises Jagger for his love of power.
It was during these years that the Stones created the image of the rock star. Sex & Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll. You don't need Till Lindemann to see that not all of it has aged equally well.
Mick Jagger with a penis gun during a performance in 1976

Enlarge image
Mick Jagger with a penis gun during a performance in 1976 Foto: Chris Walter / WireImage / Getty Images
The Beatles had already announced in 1966 that they would never play live again - because it was simply too dangerous for them. In her film "A Hard Day's Night" it was still a running gag to have to run away from fans. After a concert in Manila, however, they barely escaped with their lives when Imelda Marcos felt insulted by them and stopped the security measures.
Where it ends for the Beatles is where it begins for the Stones. There are street fights around their concerts, like in West Berlin in 1965, and conflicts with the police, like at almost every show they play in the US.
This of course makes them the heroes of the turning point. But it's not quite that simple.
Things keep getting out of control around Stones performances. There's not just the concert at the Altamont Speedway in 1969, where a member of the Hells Angels stabs a young man right in front of the stage while the Stones are playing. There's also the film "@#$%& Blues," which was filmed on the 1972 U.S. tour and then never released because the band was convinced they would never be allowed back into the United States if it was released.
A film that still shocks today
The photographer and filmmaker Robert Frank shot it at the band's invitation; he had already been part of "Exile on Main St." and the photos on the cover were his. Inspired by the ideals of cinéma vérité , "@#$%& Blues" was intended to depict what really happened on tour - Frank not only filmed, he also set up cameras everywhere so that spontaneous filming could take place. To this day, the film can only be shown under certain conditions, but it is occasionally available on the Internet.
The recordings are still shocking today. Not just through the absolute decadence that the film shows when you follow the band and their entourage into hotel rooms and onto the private jet. The rampant drug use, the women who are almost always naked, the public sex. It is above all the details that make the viewer think, half a century later. Is it really consensual if a girl's T-shirt is ripped off on the plane? And what actually happened to the woman you watch for minutes taking a shot?
Brian Jones isn't the only one the Stones left on the sidelines.
Mick Jagger am 6. September in London

Enlarge image
Mick Jagger am 6. September in London Foto: Toby Melville / REUTERS
»Rock star heroism is fake. That’s not how you live, you’re not that person, it’s just a role you play.”
Mick Jagger
There is probably no band that has brought groupieism to the center of rock 'n' roll as much as the Stones. Mick Jagger is said to have had sex with 4,000 women, writes band biographer Lesley-Ann Jones. Many will have taken away a memory for life from these encounters, something that they can cherish for decades to come. But maybe not all.
On the other hand: it was a long time ago. And perhaps what matters is how the Stones view their history today. Keith Richards has written a long book about his life's journey, "Life", one of the best autobiographies a musician has ever written, an honest and sometimes disturbing book in which he talks about what he has done, what has happened to him happened and others. It's about the son who accompanied Richards on tour for months as a little boy, who announced when they were approaching the border in the car so that Richards could take another shot and then get rid of the drugs, and who was the only one to wake up his unpredictable father was allowed, everyone else was afraid of the man who slept with a gun. It's about the broken relationship with Pallenberg, who was just as seriously addicted to heroin as Richards. About the child they lost, a two-month-old boy who probably died of sudden infant death syndrome in 1976, but this was never fully explained.
No glory without sacrifice
To put it positively, one could say: This is the dialectic of liberation. Representing the baby boomers, the Stones fought their way up from the post-war period. They have replaced the space of experience that was characterized by war, hardship and hunger with a space of experience that is about love and sex, fun and consumption. Something like this never happens without sacrifice. Anyone who puts the self at the center of the world probably has to be ruthless.
Mick Jagger with his then-girlfriend Marianne Faithfull before a court hearing on drug charges, 1970

Enlarge image
Mick Jagger with his then-girlfriend Marianne Faithfull before a court hearing on drug charges, 1970 Foto: Roy Cummings / ddp
But at the same time it's also true: They were rebels who didn't want to accept the constraints of the bourgeois world at the time, who didn't recognize any borders, but instead made crossing borders their mission: They were all men. Which is why the spirit of the times moved on. Today's world stars are not only very often women. Above all, they are no longer rebels, no figures who want to make petrified circumstances dance. Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga and Rihanna are control freaks and entrepreneurs. Characters who, in a world where everything is moving and nothing is certain, make their fans feel like they are doing the right thing. A thought that was always quite foreign to the Stones.
However, it might be a bit much to believe that a band that has been around for 61 years must still be an expression of the zeitgeist.
At the end of the hero's journey
Can all of this be summed up in one final question?
They invented the rock star, one of the heroic figures of our time. But you don't just become a hero through triumph. On the journey that makes you a hero, you see pain, death and ruin. You may be guilty. How do you look at it? Do you see yourself as a hero? Do you regret things you did along the way?
Quite complicated. But if you want to summarize the history of this band in one word, then there is no other way.
The Stones departing from London for New York, 1967

Enlarge image
The Stones departing from London for New York, 1967 Foto: Mirrorpix / Getty Images
Ron Wood is first.
He has been with the Stones since 1975. At that time he replaced Mick Taylor, who in turn replaced Brian Jones. Wood was in the Faces before joining the Stones, the band that launched Rod Stewart's career. You don't offend Wood when you say he's easygoing. The second guitarist alongside Keith Richards. The man in the shadows, without whom nothing works. Which is never the focus and is therefore indispensable.
“The reason this band still exists,” he says, “is that we give ourselves space. We don't talk much. We are listening. When we come together it is even more beautiful and creative. And then when we have created something – the monster! – then we can resign. Our new album is our new monster. We love it."
Of course that's not a correct answer. But she still tells a lot. About how you can still carry on after decades of playing together. How the Stones look at what they do.
Then Jagger. It is also hot in his suite, which is not only due to the summer weather in London, but also because there are several cameras set up, film spotlights and sound recording equipment: all devices that blow heat into the room. Jagger, as they say in the hallway, changes his shirt after every interview.
The rock star: a hero?
“The rock star is just a footnote to the classic hero,” he says. »Rock star heroism is fake. That's not how you live, you're not that person, it's just a role you play. The real heroes don't have a break, in literature or in real life, like someone who has to fight in a war. The real hero has to be on duty 24 hours a day. This is something else. I'm not in a position like the hero in Homer. Or like Ukrainian President Zelensky. Every decision Zelensky makes is a decision of life and death. Does the front hold? This goes on for him all day, all week. These are decisions that we are not faced with. To answer the question: no. We’re not heroes.”
An interesting answer. It's a big fight that Jagger waged. About living the way he wants. Representing all baby boomers, he wrested the right from Western social institutions to no longer adhere to the discipline that held post-war society together. He made it clear that it was okay to do whatever you wanted. Playing the music you want. To say what you want. To take the drugs you want. To go to bed with whoever you want. From the outside, this looks like a heroic undertaking. But it obviously doesn't feel that way.
No mistakes, no looking back. For Jagger it must always go on.
Most recently, Keith Richards. Is he a hero? It was a long day, the interview with SPIEGEL is the last of the day, which he conducts in a friendly but strained manner.
"I feel like I'm dreaming it all," he says. “You wish for something and then all of a sudden you have it. That's not something you ever want to deal with. It just happens, and it's exciting when it happens. Maybe one day I'll get to the point where I wake up. But please don't wake me up! I'd rather go back to sleep and dream the dream. I played with all the people I admired growing up, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters. I've been so lucky, man." But being a hero doesn't just mean having seen the light, but also the darkness. "Oh yeah. It's pretty dark down there. But you just have to take everything with you. And there is light at the end of the tunnel. In New York they call it New Jersey.”
One person just wants to go out and play. The other looks at what distinguishes him from the Ukrainian president. For the third, life is a dream and a joke. This is the Rolling Stones 61 years after their founding.

A great and unusual take, thanks for pointing it out !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 23:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 28, 2023 18:57

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting, gotdablouse!!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 28, 2023 19:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 19:22 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 29, 2023 02:27

StonedRambler
GerardHennessy
georgemcdonnell314

You and I differ only on one thing. That is on our interpretation of the expression 'near future'. I don't consider 2025 to be the near future. My original point was in relation to the specific mention of another new album being released NEXT YEAR (2024) which would be the near future.

I don't disbelieve Mick. But I'm saying that I believe next year would be too early for the next album. For several reasons. Their focus will be on touring. That is where the money is. That is where they will connect best with their fans. The reality is that the new album will make little or no impact on the vast majority of everyday Rolling Stones fans. It will sell well for a couple of weeks and then fade fairly quickly from the minds of all but the committed followers - like ourselves - on this forum. The rest of the world will turn back to Hot Rocks or maybe Forty Licks. Tune to classic rock radio stations and sing along to Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction.

Then when next years tours are out of the way and the band have had a rest, they will, hopefully, turn their minds to a possible next album in 2025. Just as you said yourself.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2023 04:39

Big Al
doitywoik
Big Al
DeeGee

Hopefully a single version ie a different mix. And edited different than the LP version (Plundered did that, as well as Don't Stop and Doom And Gloom).

Other than that, over the course of their discography, very few singles had something different about them than the LP version, usually edits (UK single version of Miss You was just the sax edited out).

Club mixes don't count.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: September 29, 2023 04:55

Blue and Lonesome had Just Your Fool, Hate To See You Go, and Ride ‘Em On Down released before the album came out, so don’t be surprised if a third single is released a week before the album comes out.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 05:02

So who’s ordered the new single already!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 14:08 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 09:21

In this Interview Mick talks about the songs they chose to put on Hackney Diamonds and the material that didn't make it allthough it was good enough. And he says, it will be released.
This is realy great to know! Another album next year and a european tour.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 09:30 by micha063.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 12:17

VoodooLounge13
So who’s ordered the new si gel already!?

Me

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home