Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: September 23, 2023 16:42

Thanks for the copy/paste of the Telegraph article smiling smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 23, 2023 19:23

Rip This
so....according to KR...the majority of the record is Jagger idea coming to fruition....so far so good...lets see where this goes...Gaga fanatics claim that single is going to be released next week.

Every activity of the Stones (tour or album) is motivated by Mick's will, it has been like this for over 50 years, nothing is done if Mick doesn't want to do it, except maybe Dirty Work.

Keith and Ronnie may have all the desire in the world but if Mick doesn't get fully involved, nothing happens.

And this album is the same, sessions for 5-6 years with demos, loose songs, some stuff in the can... until Mick dedicated himself fully to finishing the album and it was finished, Keith and Ronnie (Bill and Charlie before) just jump on the wagon.

Keith Richards & Mick Jagger (September 6, 2023): Making an album when Mick wants to!

Keith: When the singer wants to make a record, you record him! (laughs) 'Cause you never know...

Mick: He might go!

Keith: ... the next time you're going to get it! So when Mick said to me...

Mick: (laughs)

Keith: ... I want to make record! Bom! I put all the (laughs) bullets underneath and said Bom! Let's go!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 23, 2023 19:36

"Richards doesn’t hesitate to give Jagger full credit for the existence of the new album. “Sitting around during Covid, doing nothing, Mick stocked up a lot of lyrics and ideas,” Richards explains. “He said: ‘Let’s make a record, find a deadline, take it from A to B’. Which is very un-Stones like. I was a little sceptical, but I said, OK, if you think you have enough stuff, I’m with you all the way.” Whatever its blips, the Jagger/Richards songwriting partnership is among the most productive and enduring in pop history. Like Lennon and ­McCartney, the two men write both words and music, separately coming up with material, then shaping it together. Richards was the driving force behind many of the Stones’s most celebrated rockers (Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Jumpin’ Jack Flash) but also some of their tenderest ballads, including Ruby Tuesday, Wild Horses and Angie. However, on ­Hackney Diamonds, he says, “I had very little input in the ­lyrics, but a lot of input in how the tracks were shaped, building riffs around what Mick had. I was interested in capturing his enthusiasm. The urgency and speed with which we did this amazed me. Bam! There’s a good take, next!”

from the Telegraph.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 23, 2023 20:21

georgelicks
Rip This
so....according to KR...the majority of the record is Jagger idea coming to fruition....so far so good...lets see where this goes...Gaga fanatics claim that single is going to be released next week.

Every activity of the Stones (tour or album) is motivated by Mick's will, it has been like this for over 50 years, nothing is done if Mick doesn't want to do it, except maybe Dirty Work.

Keith and Ronnie may have all the desire in the world but if Mick doesn't get fully involved, nothing happens.

And this album is the same, sessions for 5-6 years with demos, loose songs, some stuff in the can... until Mick dedicated himself fully to finishing the album and it was finished, Keith and Ronnie (Bill and Charlie before) just jump on the wagon.

Keith Richards & Mick Jagger (September 6, 2023): Making an album when Mick wants to!

Keith: When the singer wants to make a record, you record him! (laughs) 'Cause you never know...

Keith: ... I want to make record! Bom! I put all the (laughs) bullets underneath and said Bom! Let's go!

This is exactly right. Which is why it’s a bit rich for Mick to say “we were a bit lazy” and that the band needed a deadline. Maybe HE needed a deadline.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 24, 2023 00:00

MelBelli
georgelicks
Rip This

This is exactly right. Which is why it’s a bit rich for Mick to say “we were a bit lazy” and that the band needed a deadline. Maybe HE needed a deadline.

Traditionally it's not Micks Job to write all the songs for a Stones album alone. He must have realized that he cannot wait for Keith anymore to get into creative mode and decided that the songs have to come from him.

So no, Mick was surely not the one that caused everything to take so long. Micks "deadline" was him deciding that he doesn't want to wait on the others (mostly Keith) anymore.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 24, 2023 01:22

StonedRambler
MelBelli
georgelicks
Rip This

Traditionally it's not Micks Job to write all the songs for a Stones album alone. He must have realized that he cannot wait for Keith anymore to get into creative mode and decided that the songs have to come from him.

So no, Mick was surely not the one that caused everything to take so long. Micks "deadline" was him deciding that he doesn't want to wait on the others (mostly Keith) anymore.

I think though they tried a lot in the last decade to get something going, for whatever reason it just wasn't working...could have been any number of reasons...including the producer. That change seems to have been inspirational and the impetus they needed.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 24, 2023 02:25

Mick wrote all the songs on side 1 of Some Girls except Imagination .He also wrote Respectable alone and cowrote the others.I would be surprised if Keithdidnt write some of the songs on the new album and helped writethe music on some of Mick’s

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 24, 2023 03:17

"Everything else is a bonus" I hear that saying a lot from Stones fans, maybe a good name for their next tour or album

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: September 24, 2023 03:54

You can now pre-save Sweet Sounds of Heaven, the shortlink is up

[therollingstones.lnk.to]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-24 04:02 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 24, 2023 04:13

God Bless Keith Richards! smileys with beer

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: September 24, 2023 04:43

smoking smiley
DiegoGlimmerStones
You can now pre-save Sweet Sounds of Heaven, the shortlink is up

[therollingstones.lnk.to]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 24, 2023 09:45

am I the only one who thinks it's depressing having to hear stuff for the first time on the internet? or streaming?
it's not the real thing to have this tin can sound and a dumb screen. but still it's hard to stop oneself from listening anyway.
vinyl angry or CD angry is so much better than cellular phone angry from YouTube.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: September 24, 2023 10:47

Whale
am I the only one who thinks it's depressing having to hear stuff for the first time on the internet? or streaming?
it's not the real thing to have this tin can sound and a dumb screen. but still it's hard to stop oneself from listening anyway.
vinyl angry or CD angry is so much better than cellular phone angry from YouTube.

It is all a matter of your equipment. You can play the downloaded tracks over your hifi system. If it's flac then there is no difference to a CD at all. And even if it's lossy it sounds great.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 24, 2023 12:18

I think it’s pretty obvious ‘Get Close’ is Keith’s.
‘Tell Me Straight’ is Keith’s, obviously and ‘Driving Me Too Hard’ - wasn’t that reported it was Keith’s also?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 24, 2023 17:13

Whale

I've listened to Angry less than 6x total since it's release. Any other songs I won't be listening to until I get the album. When was the last time that they released TWO singles ahead of an album's release? I want the full effect of sitting down to listen to the album uninterrupted the first time - it's been 18 long years!!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 24, 2023 17:18

VoodooLounge13
Whale

I've listened to Angry less than 6x total since it's release. Any other songs I won't be listening to until I get the album. When was the last time that they released TWO singles ahead of an album's release? I want the full effect of sitting down to listen to the album uninterrupted the first time - it's been 18 long years!!

Streets of Love and Rough Justice were both released as a double single before the Release. Blue and Lonesome had 3 singles before album Release.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 24, 2023 17:18

ABB Double A side -

Streets of Love / Rough Justice

sc uk

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 24, 2023 17:21

I have a feeling this is another Jagger solo album with some Richards riffs added to it. Maybe Keith has one or two songs on it after all? And Woody none?

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: September 24, 2023 18:15

Stoneage
I have a feeling this is another Jagger solo album with some Richards riffs added to it. Maybe Keith has one or two songs on it after all? And Woody none?

Someone had to do it.

Date: September 24, 2023 18:28

Stoneage

If Jagger wouldn't have pre-written all those songs for Keith and Ronnie to play on them we still wouldn't have any album at all. If that's what you prefer you can just not listen to it.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 24, 2023 18:58

Yeah. Keith adds a riff here and there. You can play Get Close - or Satisfaction - on an acoustic, on the beach, impress your girlfriend, sing along, no problem...but if Neil Young comes along, he can play the riffs too...and it´s suddenly more fun...and you never wanna go home. smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2023 19:00

StonedRambler
Stoneage

If Jagger wouldn't have pre-written all those songs for Keith and Ronnie to play on them we still wouldn't have any album at all. If that's what you prefer you can just not listen to it.

Thanks for the advice, but we don’t actually know anything just yet. Why don’t we wait and let our ears be the judge?

And the presupposition that Mick writes everything because no one else does is simply not supported by any evidence (that we have publicly, anyway).

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 24, 2023 19:29

So if everything is down to the will and determination of Jagger does that explain the 18 year absence of a Stones album, 18 years of slow minimal to non existent creativity ??

Did that mean if Keith had a creative period during those 18 years and Keith wanted to make an album but Mick wasn't interested because he didn't have the will to provide Keith with any collaboration, could that explain why we didn't get a Stones Studio album in all that time, it also explains why Keith made Crosseyed Heart without Mick, Crosseyed Heart could have been a fantastic Stones album.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 24, 2023 19:38

Blueranger
I think it’s pretty obvious ‘Get Close’ is Keith’s.
‘Tell Me Straight’ is Keith’s, obviously and ‘Driving Me Too Hard’ - wasn’t that reported it was Keith’s also?
I hope at least one of 'em is a 'boring jazz ballad'!

Date: September 24, 2023 19:44

keefriffhards
So if everything is down to the will and determination of Jagger does that explain the 18 year absence of a Stones album, 18 years of slow minimal to non existent creativity ??

Did that mean if Keith had a creative period during those 18 years and Keith wanted to make an album but Mick wasn't interested because he didn't have the will to provide Keith with any collaboration, could that explain why we didn't get a Stones Studio album in all that time, it also explains why Keith made Crosseyed Heart without Mick, Crosseyed Heart could have been a fantastic Stones album.

We don’t know anything for certain from where we sit, but, yes, I believe that has been the crux of the issue. At least as of the last seven or eight years. The rupture that “Life” caused and Keith’s brief flirtation with retirement — that’s a different story.

But I believe we would’ve gotten an album much sooner than this if Keith had been willing to get steamrolled again, a la A Bigger Bang.

Maybe Mick ran out the clock and it happened again on this new record. I don’t think so, but I will wait to hear it with my own ears.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 24, 2023 20:00

hockenheim95
VoodooLounge13
Whale

Streets of Love and Rough Justice were both released as a double single before the Release. Blue and Lonesome had 3 singles before album Release.

I don't count a Double A side as multiple singles. Didn't realize B&L had so many before it's release. Guess I've just thoroughly erased that period from my Stones' memory bank!!! Are any of the others available for purchase in physical format anywhere? I only have Ride 'Em Down I believe....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-24 20:00 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: September 24, 2023 20:14

MelBelli
StonedRambler
Stoneage

Thanks for the advice, but we don’t actually know anything just yet. Why don’t we wait and let our ears be the judge?

And the presupposition that Mick writes everything because no one else does is simply not supported by any evidence (that we have publicly, anyway).

So what do you think is the reason that Mick wrote most of the songs on HD? Because he dislikes anything that Keith does so much that he doesn't give Keith room on the album?

The facts are - and that is confirmed by lots of interviews over the years - that Mick is still very prolific these days and wrote hundreds of songs while Keith is not.

Keith even replied to an interviewer that asked him if he also writes as much as Mick something like:

"Being prolific don't mean a shit. I have three riffs and they are dynamite"

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: September 24, 2023 20:17

I think more than anything the death of Charlie was the impetus for Mick to get the album finished. The realisation that they do not have unlimited time to record an album and that something unexpected could derail the completion with the remaining members.

Date: September 24, 2023 20:18

keefriffhards

No, Jagger waited 18 years on the will and determination of Richards and now he decided to turn the best of his over 100 demos into an album. I'm glad Mick didn't wait any longer on Keith and pushed this thing through.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 24, 2023 20:28

Stoneage

Yes, a Jagger album, tired of waiting for Keith...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2629
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home