Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:11

Sax drive (wish fulfilled)

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:35

As Get Close is revving up, I hear the faintest little flicker of “Nothing on Me.”

Both off these tracks have gone a long way alleviating my anxiety.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:48

The Stones recorded enough material for two albums in the "Some Girls" sessions. The follow up was "Emotional Rescue." Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:53

Most (all?) of the ER stuff came from post SG sessions, they went back to the SG sessions for TY.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:57

As for me two new songs are nothing special, some nice generic stuff that will fit any rock band. Angry is stones sounding song.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 16:57

Sax and strings. What do The Stones think, this is 1971 ???

Rod

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 17:08

F******ck, Mick sounds young on Get Close!! Love the Sax.

Date: September 13, 2023 17:09

rbk
The Stones recorded enough material for two albums in the "Some Girls" sessions. The follow up was "Emotional Rescue." Be careful what you wish for.

4 albums, wasn't it? And ER is great smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2023 17:25

trevormcmullin

Does anybody know how "Angry" is charting in the US/Worldwide?

'Angry' is #13 in Germany (13-Sep-2023), Midweek Single Top-100 - [www.MTV.de] . For comparison the general jpc.de sales charts (12-Sep-2023, 9pm) :

[www.jpc.de]

Update: in the official Single Top-100 on Friday, 15-Sep-2023, 'Angry' is just #21 in Germany - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-21 09:35 by Irix.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 13, 2023 17:35

The sax… the SAX!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 13, 2023 17:51

Does anyone have a link to the new songs? I can’t find them…Thanks in advance

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:06

James Kirk

[wetransfer.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:30

Elmo Lewis
James Kirk

[wetransfer.com]

I still can't get them.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:35

JumpingKentFlash
The sax… the SAX!!!

smileys with beer

Date: September 13, 2023 18:37

Pre-chorus of DOY is Keys to Your Love - but way better.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:52

"Get Close: Like Can´t you hear me knocking went to bed with Slave." But why do I write things like that? Why do I feel the need to compare? It is actually a brand NEW song. (It´s 2023, and those songs sure can stand on their own two feet.)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:56

Elmo Lewis
Elmo Lewis
James Kirk

[wetransfer.com]

I still can't get them.

What happens if you go to the link?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2023 18:58

KillRill
As for me two new songs are nothing special, some nice generic stuff that will fit any rock band. Angry is stones sounding song.

Will reserve judgement until I hear them as they were intended, after all Angry benefits greatly from that 3D production but so far my thoughts as well, like Brilliant Mistake or Let Me Down Slow , nice enough but people would dismiss them if they were on GITD. The sax is nice though, first time it stands out since the Going Mad b-side.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 13, 2023 18:59

MelBelli
Pre-chorus of DOY is Keys to Your Love - but way better.

Also, the way Mick (I think) phrases the pretty figure at the beginning reminds me of Kings of Leon’s “Day Old Blues.”

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:02

rbk

You're being cautionary? That's a fabulous album...some tracks definitely stronger than material on Some Girls.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:40

I love that ragged harmonised "cause I was depending on you .."

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:46

I liked that they used the saxophone in close to you.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:50

I was very pleasantly surprised by both those tracks (GC and DOY),crunchy, loads of percussion, the sax, and Mick's voice seemed to be a little more relaxed the usual lately. I hope the released versions aren't overdone with studio gloss, but given how nice Angry sounds, I don't think this will be the case.

(Anyone else hear themselves singing Bob Marley 'I'm willing and able...' over the Get Close chorus? grinning smiley )

By the way, is it just a coincidence that the three tracks to have been released and leaked so far are the three in which Andrew Watt is credited?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 19:52 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:58

gotdablouse
KillRill

Will reserve judgement until I hear them as they were intended...
Same! I am not going to have my first listen from someone's phone recording? And how do people know someone's dog was nearby -- maybe the dog barks are in the recording!! Isn't there a dog bark in the beginning of Slave? Sounds like it to me.

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:59

peoplewitheyes
I was very pleasantly surprised by both those tracks (GC and DOY),crunchy, loads of percussion, the sax, and Mick's voice seemed to be a little more relaxed the usual lately. I hope the released versions aren't overdone with studio gloss, but given how nice Angry sounds, I don't think this will be the case.

(Anyone else hear themselves singing Bob Marley 'I'm willing and able...' over the Get Close chorus? grinning smiley )

By the way, is it just a coincidence that the three tracks to have been released and leaked so far are the three in which Andrew Watt is credited?

Totally Agree. Lets hope for the studio versions to sound better. Sure they will

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: September 13, 2023 20:52

In my opinion, after a 60-year career, creating songs like Angry, Get Close and Depending on You is something absolutely extraordinary! And I am convinced that it will be an extremely enjoyable and eclectic album: after all, that is what we want from them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 20:54 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 13, 2023 21:03

Jewel in the crown: How the Rolling Stones' catalogue is set to be supercharged by their new album

by Andre Paine

Launched at Hackney Empire via YouTube with a Q&A conducted by Jimmy Fallon, Hackney Diamonds is set for release on October 20. The single Angry is the first track from the LP.

As well as a guest appearance from Lady Gaga, Hackney Diamonds also features former band member Bill Wyman and the late Charlie Watts on a track recorded in 2019.

The new Stones album is likely to be one of the biggest releases of Q4. However, the ultimate prize for the Rolling Stones and Universal Music is set to be a significant long-term catalogue boost for the band.

Even before the announcement of Hackney Diamonds, there have been key developments on the streaming front for the Stones. At the beginning of 2023, the band launched an official TikTok account, enabling creators around the world to access their full music catalogue for the first time.

In terms of releases, the major step was to bring a comprehensive catalogue title to streaming audiences. Forty Licks was released for the first time on both vinyl and DSPs in July including Dolby Atmos versions. It was originally released in 2002 to mark the Stones’ 40th anniversary and featured 36 classics, including Gimme Shelter, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, Paint It Black and Jumpin’ Jack Flash, alongside four new songs.

As revealed in Music Week’s charts analysis by Alan Jones last month, Forty Licks was released digitally in 2006 before being deleted in 2008. With previous sales of 1,135,650, it returned to the chart in August for the first time since 2006, re-entering at No.39 on consumption of 2,771 units (Official Charts Company) – 794 vinyl four-packs, 1 CD, 48 digital downloads and 1,927 sales-equivalent streams.

Since then, the compilation has maintained its position in the Top 75. Even ahead of the full announcement on Hackney Diamonds, Forty Licks’ consumption was up a modest 3.4% week-on-week in the latest Midweek sales flash up to the end of Tuesday (September 5). But with a full Stones campaign in swing from Polydor and catalogue division Universal Music Recordings, expect Forty Licks to establish itself as another of the true perennials in the streaming era.

Of course, there will be a huge Q4 focus on new album Hackney Diamonds, particularly on physical formats. When the band released covers set Blue & Lonesome in 2016, it finished the year at No.17 overall, despite only appearing at the tail end of Q4 in December. In a very different kind of market seven years ago, Blue & Lonesome opened at No.1 with sales of 105,830 (95,484 physical, 9,150 downloads and 1,196 from streams). It has gone on to sell 358,564 copies in the UK.

Under OCC chart rules, labels can nominate a compilation album to register all the streams of the featured tracks when fans listen on their platform of choice. In the recent past, the Stones’ various collections – including Forty Licks, Hot Rocks and Singles Collection: The London Years – have shared the streams. But now the label’s focus is very much on Forty Licks as the designated compilation.

That’s important to establish the album in the upper reaches of the chart, in order to help further build its streaming presence. While the Stones have 25.3 million monthly Spotify listeners, before Forty Licks returned to DSPs the band had not been among those UK Top 40 streaming perennials by the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, ABBA, Queen, Bob Marley & The Wailers, The Beatles and David Bowie.

At the midway point of 2023, the Rolling Stones did not have an album in the overall Top 200 for the first six months. For the full year 2022, they made the Top 200 with Hot Rocks – 1964-71 at No.187 (48,249 sales).

As you’d expect, their catalogue is strong in terms of consumption of individual titles. The Stones scored another No.1 with the reissue of Goats Head Soup in 2020. As well as compilations including Hot Rocks and Honk, their biggest sellers in 2022 included studio album Sticky Fingers, which moved 25,606 copies last year. Classic LP Exile On Main Street sold 7,058 copies.

But there’s now a renewed focus on a hits collection to complement the release of a brand new album. The goal now will be to take Forty Licks much nearer the top so it's competing with the likes of Elton John’s Diamonds (No.7 overall last year with 208,779 sales), Fleetwood Mac’s 50 Years – Don’t Stop (No.8, 208,053 sales), ABBA’s Gold: Greatest Hits (No.10, 197,844 sales) and Queen’s Greatest Hits (No.11, 193,111). Elton John, Queen and ABBA are also with the team at Universal Music Recordings, while Warner Music catalogue division Rhino has powered Fleetwood Mac’s streaming campaign.

Elton John and his management team spoke to Music Week last year about the long-term plan they put in place to conquer the streaming world, which began in 2017 with the Diamonds compilation. While the Stones have collaborated with Lady Gaga, Elton John teamed with Dua Lipa in a similar move to reach a younger audience.

An obvious comparison for the Stones is the success of the new ABBA Voyage album and avatar concert, which helped to boost the consumption of ABBA Gold. The Stones continue to tour in real life, of course, including playing BST Hyde Park in 2022.

During the YouTube event at Hackney Empire, Keith Richards revealed that one earlier title for the new record was Smash And Grab. More than 60 years after they formed, the Stones are preparing to make an assault on the charts with both new songs and classic hits.

[www.musicweek.com]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 13, 2023 21:05

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 21:17 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 13, 2023 21:06

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 21:06 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 13, 2023 21:30

I keep my mouth shut because I have already been burned 18 years ago with similar bootlegged recordings of ABB songs, BUT Get close...

and by the way: the barking at the end of DOY is perfect, should incorporate

hope the strings are organic, people playing, people perspiring, people getting paid

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 21:37 by maumau.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2019
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home